[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Problems with therapists?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (1MB, 2048x1356px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2048x1356px
My therapist knows I'm a trans guy but constantly genders me as female, uses my wrong name, etc.. He even was talking about how I should go to college next year, brought up dorms and how I might feel comfortable in all-women's dorms.
Can you tell me his thinking on saying this?
I'm a very introverted person and I know I should speak my mind more but I often stay neutral just to avoid conflict. This really bothered me though; it was two weeks ago and I'm still thinking about it. I'm pre-t so I guess the real question is: how can I make people take me seriously? He clearly doesn't see me as a guy so not sure what I'm doing wrong.
>>
>>7948013
Is this a gender therapist or general practicing therapist?
>>
>>7948013
Get on t and get a new therapist...

He probably thinks you are not serious, you should at least talk to him about this first tho
>>
>>7948017
General one, but we talk a lot about gender dysphoria and he's fairly open minded (or claims to be)
>>
>>7948025
Sorry literally the same thing happened to me except i'm mtf not ftm, you need to find a different therapist, preferably one that specializes in TG related stuff. Do you have any particular attachment to the therapist you see right now?
>>
File: 2017.01.01 - Hollyweed 1_0.jpg (27KB, 600x407px) Image search: [Google]
2017.01.01 - Hollyweed 1_0.jpg
27KB, 600x407px
>>7948013
I've noticed that my therapist purposely brings up uncomfortable topics.
It is almost like he is trying to trigger me in order to get me to talk about things that normally I would avoid or repress.
Almost had an emotional breakthrough last week but we were out of time...
I can't wait to go back and see what he will throw at me this time!
>>
>>7948047
Theres a difference between being respective of your clients pronouns / name / GI and pushing someone to talk about things they feel uncomfortable discussing.
>>
>>7948047
That's something I would do as a therapist too, he just wants to know more about you and your deeper secrets, so he can help you better...
I don't see why mine would personally misgender me; I don't think he's smart enough to use that to try to gauge a reaction from me..
>>7948023
I did "stand up" for myself once rather than let it slide and he said he "loves the [deadname] that speaks up for *her*self". Have to wait until moving out of my parents to start t, and there's not many therapists around nevermind one specializing in gender.
>>
>>7948065
Honestly you sound like you have a really shitty therapist, sorry.
>>
>>7948072
But if I'm not on t, does he have a right to call me a girl? Is it absurd to ask to use he/him pronouns?
I mean isn't that kind of as crazy as asking someone to call a huge burly man with a beard "she/her"?
>>
>>7948013
>>7948065
Buy t black market Or from informed consent and tell him the APA and WPATH guidelines are all against what he does.

Tell him you're leaving and will be reporting him to the APA.

For what it's worth, one star him on Google and other reviews and mention he's a menace to lgbt patients. The headache this will cause ensures he won't pull this again.
>>
>>7948088
APA says what he's doing causes the patients more harm.

If he's reported it'll cause him harm. Consider writing a letter, they do care about lgbt discrimination.
>>
>>7948088
It's different with Ftms than mtfs. You can always go with what an ftm says. Nonpassing MTFs that dare to socially transition should be treated like animals for the reason you said.
>>
>>7948088
It depends, how do you present to him? How long has it been since you came out as trans to him?

If I were you and still presented as my natal sex I would expect him to occasionally miss-gender me / dead name but regardless if he is pulling stuff like
>He even was talking about how I should go to college next year, brought up dorms and how I might feel comfortable in all-women's dorms.

in my opinion that is a clear sign you need to find a better / different therapist because the one you have right now is not fit to help you.
>>
>>7948103
>>7948097
He's not a bad person and I'm not a soccer mom that's gonna go complaining to the manager about a very minuscule problem.
If anything, I should man up and tell him about it but..
>>7948116
If anyone's hurting that badly over something, I will call them by the pronouns they want. Just because a trans girl repressed for a long time doesn't mean she's not trutrans
>>
>>7948134
I've never presented femme to him. Maybe I don't pass fully but I'm as close as I can get without hrt. I have more than one pictures which I've posted places, and people say I look like a cis guy (even in passgen).
>>
>>7948139
I can't explain why but I want them to stop existing or at least stop being visible. I hope the new laws they are passing achieve that
>>
>>7948160
This only reinforces my belief your therapist is shit and you need a new one. I know it sucks finding a new therapist, especially if you have an attachment to them but trust me this guy cannot help you in the way you need it.
>>
>>7948013
Similar thing happens to me except I'm pre-hrt mtf and I don't mind how my therapist genders me because I'm obviously still presenting as male. My therapist is pretty intelligent and would change pronouns from he to she in a heartbeat if I actually told her that it bothered me.
Also she's in her mid-to-late 20's and doesn't mind it when I occasionally swear (and will sometimes join in). I swear to God I hit the jackpot for chillest therapist ever. Makes talking about serious issues like dysphoria a million times easier without needing to hide my feelings.
For a therapist that's this laid back she's surprisingly very professional.

Basically you need to find a therapist that feels more compatible with you. Yours sounds like a real dick honestly.
People often have to weed out a few therapists before finding one that works for them. I'm just lucky and got a dope ass therapist my first time.
>>
Go to a different therapist you fucking idiot.

I have no sympathy for you, honestly.
>>
>>7948013
I am MtF, closeted and I present as male, with a somewhat androgynous appearance, I am starting to use female with him, and now he is starting to use female pronouns, but not all the time, it's strange... OP, try presenting "more manly" and always referr yourself as male, he will notice something is up, the problem is some therapists think you have to earn pronouns.
>>
>>7948013
I'm a trans chick, pre-HRT. Unfortunately, we won't get taken seriously until HRT. Starting on hormones is the only way. Sorry bud. Oh, or you could make everyone scared of you so that they're forced to respect you. I knew a trans guy who did that.
>>
>>7948065
your therapist wants to fuck you

get a new one
>>
Well, your therapist could be low-key trying to tell you that you're a teenage transtrender, and he could be right. But if you don't have a tumblr, he's probably just a douche and your should ditch him.

I'd be more sympathetic but there was a transtrender in my support group who threw a complete hissy fit because their therapist kept avoiding signing off on their top surgery even though they insisted on staying on the women's rugby team and using the women's locker room (but got offended when the coach called the women's team "girls").
>>
>>7948065
>I did "stand up" for myself once rather than let it slide and he said he "loves the [deadname] that speaks up for *her*self". Have to wait until moving out of my parents to start t, and there's not many therapists around nevermind one specializing in gender.
Maybe he's trying the good therapist bad therapist routine to try to get you tu stand up for yourself, be assertive, and defend your manhood. After all, if you can't get fair treatment from your therapist you will just let everyone else push you around and misgender you. Stick up for yourself.
>>
>>7948013
What orientation are you OP?
>>
>>7948013
luckily i found a gender therapist that was actually trans herself so she knows 100% how it feels

she was super honest about my shoulders and how tall i am but i wouldn't say its a bad thing to be told this before you get on medication.
>>
>>7950991
I thought that too but I've had in depth conversations about trenders and even worrying if I am one or not, but he assured me he doesn't think I am (neither do I, but crazy people don't think they're crazy now).
>>
I'm assuming your parents pay for said therapist or does the government ?
Any way just get a new one
>>
>>7956359
Parents, will talk to him next time and if he still does it will get a new one.
>>7951143
How the fuck does this matter? Straight (into girls)
>>
>>7956390
How much are you repressing ?
>>
>>7956390
>How the fuck does this matter?
Trans people are different depending on their orientation. Were you very boyish/unfeminine as a kid?
>>
>>7956511
Nothing about me was feminine, I liked playing outside and always wanted to grow up to be a "wise old man in the woods" type. Didn't have a lot of friends, but an equal mix of genders when I did have friends.
>>7956410
Repressing what? Up until this year, I tried repressing very hard. Still have to around many people.
>>
>>7948013
Get a female therapist. Duh
I can't talk to male therapists. And I really hate 5 of the 6 male psychiatrists I've seen.
>>
>>7948065

> I did "stand up" for myself once rather than let it slide and he said he "loves the [deadname] that speaks up for *her*self".

Ugh. If you take this condescending BS then... well you're not being very manly yeah? If you're not really trans then quit pretending you're trans. If you're really trans then stop accepting mistreatment from this douche.
>>
>>7948013
1. You're making up stories, that's one thing you're doing wrong.

2. When a straight talks you listen, in your made up story. If it were happening in reality, that would also be a mistake.
>>
>>7961617
Why would I make up stories? Do you have autism?
>>7960782
This is my first male therapist and 100x better than any female one I've ever had, and a lot easier to talk to.
>>7961596
>not really trans
wat
I just came here to complain about how I won't take the mistreatment any longer. Just don't want to get into an argument with him.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.