[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discussion thread about name change - How to find a new name

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 17

File: names.png (261KB, 1048x813px) Image search: [Google]
names.png
261KB, 1048x813px
Let's get serious, /tttt/!

This thread is for asking questions, giving advice and general discussion about name change.

• Name database with background info, statistics, ratings and comments: https://www.behindthename.com

• Another name database, very good to look up variations of a name: http://www.namepedia.org/en/firstname/

• Advice for choosing a new name: http://www.tsroadmap.com/reality/nameindex.html

Some questions for the choice of a new name to get the conversation going:

>What are names that should be avoided (e.g. Caitlyn)?

>What do you think about a feminization/masculinization of the former name (like: Leon/Leonie, Michael/Michelle, Dennis/Denise, etc.)?

>What about changing the second name, too?

>Which female or male names do you really like, which ones do you really dislike? Give some inspiration to mtfs and ftms.

It could be important to tell wheather you're mtf or ftm. Sometimes it would also be beneficial to know, where you are from since it may be important to know how common the names you are writing about are in your country.
>>
>>7943187
Is it good to choose a unisex name? Why/why not?

If you already have a unisex name, is it good to keep it? Why/why not?
>>
what do you think of the name "maeve"
>>
My name is already French so Beatrice flows pretty well and I like it, though one of the links says mtf trans is saturated with French sounding names, apparently.
>>
File: mercury.png (2MB, 1024x1449px) Image search: [Google]
mercury.png
2MB, 1024x1449px
>>7943200
>Is it good to choose a unisex name? Why/why not?

Well, the most obvious thing is that people wouldn't be able to judge your gender just by hearing or reading your name alone. That might or might not be to your liking. I think a unisex name would fit to a androgynous person best. Also it should be considered that there are many female or male names with common nicknames that are unisex (like Jessica->Jesse or Alexander->Alex).

>If you already have a unisex name, is it good to keep it? Why/why not?

Pro keeping:
You are already accustomed to your name.
You have at least some more stringency in your life.
People you already know only have to use the new pronouns.
You may not have to get new documents (e.g. testimonies from your former school) where your gender is not mentioned.

Cons:
You may feel weird transitioning socially without changing your name at all.
You may feel that your old name does not refect your "new" gender / You may feel that you transitioned socially, but your name is somehow stuck in your "old" gender.
>>
>>7943187
>Changing the second name
why tho
>names that should be avoided
neutral names and super duper fancy ones
>feminizing your own name
i don't know senpai i just want mine to be changed FULLY

now it'd be funny if an FtM that lives ironically would change his name to "Chad"
>>
>>7943187
>What do you think about a feminization/masculinization of the former name
is there a fem version of archibald
>>
>>7943255
Maeve sounds very "northern" to me and would do well in a middleearth setting. The name sounds good, but it has to suit your personality. It would be strange to hear a basic bitch say: "Heys, I'm Meave! Nice to meet you."

>>7943264
tsroadmap.com has to be read with caution! There is some good advice in the link (>>7943187), but some of it is utter nonsense.

There are some quite beautiful names with french origin and Beatrice is one of them imho. It's a common prejudice that all french names sound like hooker names. Also I don't think that all of them are overly feminine.

Here is a great list with french female names:
https://www.behindthename.com/names/gender/feminine/usage/french

>>7943298
>"now it'd be funny if an FtM that lives ironically would change his name to "Chad""
That made me kek. Maybe Stacey is the name to go for mtfs.
>>
>>7943298
>>Changing the second name
>why tho
Why not? You get to choose something you like. It's an opportunity cis people never have.
>>
>>7943343
(I'm not the anon your responding to.)

I'm from europe and my last name sounds very strange or funny in english. (Not gonna tell my last name, it's very rare one).
I consider changing my last name since it might well be that I have to move to the US or England in the future for work.

Is it a general problem in english speaking countries to pronounce continental-european surnames?
>>
>>7943319
Oh, I'm definitely sticking to Beatrice, since it has a lot of personal significance as well, but thanks for the list. I do think there are certain kinds of names that mtf use often enough to deter from use. Example, I've seen a lot of Alice and Caitlin/variants of it so if I had ever been interested in either of those names it would have felt a bit odd.
>>
>>7943319
>maybe stacey is the name to go for mtfs
uh, that'd only work in english speaking countries actually
i don't want peeps calling me "Stacéï"
my name is pronouncable by anyone
it's "natasha" if you're wondering
>>
>>7943369
Beatrice is the kind of name that would only be used by a trans woman tho... Like have you ever met a cis Beatrice?
>>
>>7943395
Yeah, and people I've spoken to also know their own.
>>
>>7943369
My pleasure!
Yes, there certainly are a few names to stay away from. I didn't know that Alice or variants of it are occupied by transpeople. There is a semi-famous german megahon, who changed her name to Alicia King, though.
>>7943395
Not met a Beatrice yet, but can confirm that Beatrix (german variant) is a normal name in Germany, not -that- common, but unsuspicious.

>>7943375
Natasha, nickname probably Tasha. A very strong sounding name like many russian feminine names (Nadja, Natalya). Suits best to a very strong minded woman imho. Natasha was in my top 10, but I cut it out because it sounds to strong for my personality (if that makes any sense!)

---

I made a list of names I like. Here are the top 5:
Céline, Nicole, Denise, Amélie, Melina

I grew up and live in Germany (for now), but I'm ethnic french. What do you think?
>>
Truly, feminine form is good choice for mtf, but i hate mine and male one is fucking mainstream in my country, so i picked quite different one.
Another story is to let your parents to choose your new name, or ask them what name they would choose if you're were born as girl/boy (it's ok even if they know nothing about your gender), and pick it if you like it.
But... my parents variants sucked, so i choosed favourite female name.
>>7943439
Natasha is nickname for Natalia, lol. And I never heard form like "Tasha", though i live in Ukraine and have many friends from Russia. Shorten as "Nata" - yeah, but "Tasha" only reminds me that psychic spell from DnD, you know, "Tasha's hideous laughter", lol.
>>
File: happiness.jpg (31KB, 400x478px) Image search: [Google]
happiness.jpg
31KB, 400x478px
>be me
>closet mtf
>casually ask mom what my name would've been if I had been born female
>ask random questions all the time so she isn't even suspicious
>mfw I actually like it and plan to use it
>>
>>7943788
Nice!
I do not like the name my parents would've given me, so it's out.
>>
File: IMG_2182.jpg (108KB, 700x855px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2182.jpg
108KB, 700x855px
I just looked at a list of names from the year I was born, that's always a good first place to look
That's how I found a name that I knew was perfect for me
Seeing a name you love makes it easy to pick
It's always worth looking at a few
>>
>>7944150
What is it about a name that you know is perfect?
>>
>>7944181
Just seeing it and loving it
>>
What's wrong with caitlyn?
>>
>>7943439
actually peeps give me "tasha" as a nickname
and the name suits me
so uh
yeah
>>
I would suggest choosing a name from your birth generation.

I like the name Sarah, it just fits me.
>>
>>7943255
its a wow hero
>>
>Not changing your first and middle names so you can have a snowflake name and a normie name
>>
File: caitlyn.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
caitlyn.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
>>7944356
>>
File: smugflag.jpg (110KB, 800x782px) Image search: [Google]
smugflag.jpg
110KB, 800x782px
Fuck off...
>>
>>7947891
>t. newfag
>>
>>7943364
Only if it's Polish...
>>
http://poal.me/dbf9tt

Choose 4 me. Anna or Jane.
>>
>>7943187
aside from being a blanchardianism autist, i am also a name autist
ama about name popularity, trends, and demographics

>What do you think about a feminization/masculinization of the former name (like: Leon/Leonie, Michael/Michelle, Dennis/Denise, etc.)?
it can be cringey, but it depends on the name. michael to michelle or michaela isn't that bad. cis people generally think all trannies have modified versions of their birth names, which makes me wonder how common it actually is -- is there a study on this?
my name is a stand-alone masc name but has a feminine version and cis people sometimes assume my birth name was the fem version
i wonder in general how similar on average trans people's names are to their birth names
i kept my first initial and syllable pattern but most of the trans people i've met who i know the birth names of went for a more radical change
middle or surname? i changed my middle name, but not many people seem to talk about those.
i also want to change my surname, but that was several years down the line and has nothing to do with tranny shit. my birth surname is one of the most common and stereotypical british-ancestry surnames there is (smith/jones/white/brown), so i don't like it much.
>>
>>7952497
fwiw, Jake is my current nickname and I just kinda like Anna. Was also wondering a bit about Anne vs Anna.
>>
>>7952724
>ama about name popularity, trends, and demographics
Any observations about trans people and names.

>cis people generally think all trannies have modified versions of their birth names, which makes me wonder how common it actually is -- is there a study on this?
I think it's a hon thing or a 90's and earlier thing.
>>
what do you think of Gillian? mtf
>>
>>7943187
Yahogastein McGillicutty

Male or female?
>>
Your thoughts on the name Robin?
>>
>>7953524
It's nice.
>>
File: 1474575528851.jpg (142KB, 363x495px) Image search: [Google]
1474575528851.jpg
142KB, 363x495px
>>7943788
>tfw wanna ask mom this but I don't want her to be suspicious
how
>>
>>7953196
>mtf
>Gillian
All Gillians I know are guys. I would not go for it. But everybody is different. Maybe you do not mind to cause confusion sometimes (, when people are judging your gender by reading/hearing your name only).

>>7953524
Good name.

>>7952724
>middle or surname?
Sry, wasn't clear about that. I meant the surname.
And thanks for your elaborations on the feminization/masculinization of the former name.
>>
how's "Catherine"?
>>
File: janeway.jpg (24KB, 450x360px) Image search: [Google]
janeway.jpg
24KB, 450x360px
>>7956997
A very classy name. I'm thinking of a strong woman.
Maybe you want to look up all the variants:
https://www.behindthename.com/name/catherine
"Kathryn" would be more unique to the eye than "Catherine", I guess, but also a little bit less classy.
>>
>>7943187
>tfw your name is considered a hon name
Should I just change it? It seems awkward to ask people to call me by something else now
>>
>>7957157
>hon name
Or trans in general, I mean.
>>
>>7957157
>">tfw your name is considered a hon name"
Did you read that on tsroadmaps? This is not a source that should be 100% trusted.
>>
>>7957178
No, I read it on 4chan, but it's in literally every name thread.
>>
>>7956925
>All Gillians I know are guys
oh really? Ive never met a Gillian. i only know of actresses like Gillian Anderson or Gillian Jacobs

any thoughts on Gretchen? Gwendolyn? Im trying to keep my initial G, while also staying multi-syllabic.
>>
>>7952900
>Any observations about trans people and names
trans people name themselves the same way new parents name their children, which is stupid and something you should intentionally avoid doing
>>7953196
it's nice but only if it's hard g
>>7957413
hi alice
>>
What do you think about Sophia?
>>
>>7958357
>trans people name themselves the same way new parents name their children,
You mean names that are current now instead of when they were born?

>which is stupid and something you should intentionally avoid doing
So that it doesn't clock you?
>>
>parents really want me to do feminized version of boy name, and everybody already knows I went with Kirsten even though I'm not super huge on it

>my chance for a new middle name to go by is gone since a friend decided I was a Brianna and now everybody at work knows me as Bri

id have to completely transplant to actually go with a name I'd be super content with and idek what it'd be

ah well at least i pass okay
>>
>>7958365
Generic but qt
I knew like 5 cis girls in school named Sofie or Sophie etc, if you're 18-24 it shouldn't be a clocking name at all.
>>
>>7958460
Aw snap my choice of Beatrice the grandma name.
>>
>>7958357
>Gillian
>it's nice but only if it's hard g
you think so? i dont mind it with hard g, but if its shortened to Gill then I much prefer soft g
>>
>>7958357
>alice
Yeah, should i change it? 4chan is the first place I've heard it was a trans name. Why is this, and is it actually an issue? I do know many cis girls with that name, too.
>>
>>7959004
I don't think that Alice is a trans name. Very likely a pure 4chan thing.
>>
>>7943364
If it's German/French/Italian/Scandinavian/Iberian then I don't think you'll have a problem. A few Dutch surnames and definitely some Eastern European ones have this problem though.
>>
File: 1463027672579.png (25KB, 266x220px) Image search: [Google]
1463027672579.png
25KB, 266x220px
>tfw both want to and don't want to change my middle name

>it's a clearly male name, not even a male biased unisex one, just male
>but it was given to me in honour of my grandfather who I loved a lot but died a few years ago

Help. It's not that unusual for a girl to have a male middle name, right?
>>
>>7957581
Gwendolyn for sure out of those. Gretchen is an old person name and it doesn't sound very nice either. Gwendolyn is very uncommon but not too unusual.
>>
>>7959004
It is common among trans people, but it's not like the vast majority of cis people know that. No ones going to clock you just because you're called Alice. The only reason to change it would be if you want something more unique.
>>
>>7960015
What is it?
>>
>>7960245
John.
>>
>>7960253
Ehhhhh, why not just change it to J. ? And yeah, John isn't the worst it could've been.
>>
>>7943187
>if you're MtF

Find the feminine equivalent of your name. If you don't like it, make one up
>if you're FtM
Find the masculine equivalent of your name. If no likey, make one up
>>
My birth name is unisex, but being FTM I'd like a masculine-only name.
Thoughts on James?
>>
I'm in the early stages of MtF, been on HRT for about 5 months now.

I'd really like the name Celestine. It's a name that has a lot of personal meaning to me, but I'm worried it might be too much or too 'snowflakey'. I don't want people to roll their eyes at it, you know?

What are some opinions on that name? Should I go with something simpler so that I don't look like a faggot?
>>
File: 1489850692887.gif (2MB, 695x392px) Image search: [Google]
1489850692887.gif
2MB, 695x392px
>>7943308
>>
>>7961537
Celeste would be less snowflakey but it's your name so do whatever the fuck you want!
>>
>>7961537
When I hear the name Celestine, I do -not- think of a special snowflake or a faggot.

"Celestine" has a very royal and quite feminine touch. It is also quite delicate. I like how the "C" rolls on the tongue. The name completely lacks any harsh sounds like "a". "Celestina" would sound less delicate.

Also note that there are different variations of this name, "Célestine" (french version) with an é, for example.

Your friends will most likely call you Celest or Cele, I guess.

I cannot imagine a grey mouse or a total tomboy with this name. And its origin is obviously french, even in the less french writing style "Celestine" without an é.

Maybe this will help you.
>>
File: 1489952545173.jpg (43KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489952545173.jpg
43KB, 600x600px
>>7961642
Thank you, that really does help a lot.
>>
>>7961642
grey mouse?
>>
>>7961659
You're welcome. Sweet pic related btw.

>>7961664
A plain Jane.
>>
if you could have any name you want why wouldn't you be an anime character??
>>
>>7961659
What I forgot here (>>7961754):
But notice that this is just my personal opinion! It's just what I personally think, when hearing the name. You should go for the name no matter what your personality or character is. The most important thing is that you somehow feel like being a Celestine. You can be a tomboy or whatever you want them.
I mean, I once knew a woman named Olga. When I hered that name, I thought of a female russian lumberjack. But she was one of the most feminine people I ever knew. And that changed my perception of the name Olga completely.
>>
>>7961763
Most trans people try to blend in (trutrans not transtrenders). Unusual names are asking to be clocked.
>>
File: rhiannon3.jpg (585KB, 1113x1633px) Image search: [Google]
rhiannon3.jpg
585KB, 1113x1633px
I once met a trans woman with the name Rhiannon, not at all common around here but I love the name. Instantly reminded me of pic related.
>>
>>7962030
Do some people call her "annon" then?

I think the name Rhiannon is beautiful. I can't remember to have heared it before.
>>
File: Mabinogion1.jpg (64KB, 319x500px) Image search: [Google]
Mabinogion1.jpg
64KB, 319x500px
>>7965910
No...but that's funny. According to the Google most nicknames are Rhi, Rhia, Rhian.

Seen "Non" before, I think that one is kinda funny too and if I knew a Rhiannon I'd probably bug her by calling her that.

If it wasn't for the fact there's another trans girl here with that name I'd probably take it myself but it's probably borderline. It would be fitting if I was in Wales or the UK though I think.
>>
>>7960253
Oh shit I'm in the exact same boat as you, thanks for asking this. I've been curious as well!
>>
>>7960253
In addition, and this depends on which side of the family this particular grandparent was on, but you could change your middle name to his last name which would still honor him. Eg I would use Quinn
>>
>>7962030
is it pronounce ree-anon
or ree-annan
>>
>>7966820
From what I know first syllable is aspirate...more like "hr".

But I think it's hree-ah-non.

Check here: https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-pronounce-the-name-Rhiannon

The mythos associated with Rhiannon is pretty interesting, not to mention the stories in the Mabinogion. Good book, I want the version with Alan Lee's illustrations, his artwork is incredible. Here's an example...that's Pwyll, her husband and the father of Pryderi.
>>
Thoughts on the name Molly?
>>
File: 1490051735009.png (1MB, 630x806px) Image search: [Google]
1490051735009.png
1MB, 630x806px
>>7966707
Rhiannon might be a very nice 2nd forname, maybe you want consider that. But sure, it depends on the first forname yo choose.

>>7966820
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, anon!

>>7967143
I'm from Germany and the name is almost never used here (at least I've never heared of an actual Molly).
Most Germans associate "Molly" with an obese woman since it sounds like the german word "mollig" (a nice word for "fat"). The television series "Mike & Molly" (a sitcom about a fat couple) reinforced this image.

But it really depends on how people think about "Molly" in your country! Propably it is not stigmatized there.
That's why I wrote in the initial post of this thread that it is very important, where you are from.
>>
I like the name Aoibhín
It is Irish and it means shiny
>>
>>7967312
Is the name pronounched EE-veen like this site says?

https://www.behindthename.com/name/aoibhi10n
>>
>>7943187
DO NOT FEMINIZE YOUR MALE NAME EVER
>>
>>7973999
Why not if I like the feminized version? What about a female name that is close to or includes my male name but isn't just a feminized version?
>>
I wish I could have transitioned. I was so scared and spineless. Every day I long for the life I could have lived.
>>
What do you do if your name is uncommon / gender neutral
>>
File: image.png (226KB, 331x418px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
226KB, 331x418px
As an FTM, is Sacha too feminine? I'm beginning to dislike it.

What are some good male/unisex names?
>>
>>7973999
I heard changing Y to I feminizes a name so I call myself Gregori.
>>
>>7974321
Sascha is literally a Russian diminutive for Alexander, I'm not sure it was ever a female name outside of Sasha Grey.
>>
>>7974278
Why didn't you and what does that have to do with names?
>>
>What are names that should be avoided (e.g. Caitlyn)?
There's nothing actually wrong with the correct spellings of this name: Caitlin, Kathleen, Caitlín, and the original form: Catherine. However, the stupid and "special" variations of it are abhorrent and to be avoided. It should be noted that there is no male equivalent of this name, so it's a dangerous one to be meddling with. Any name that is neither unisex nor has a male and female version are dangerous.

This is the best option. Your name is the first and most potent protection your parents will ever give you against demons and possession and the slippery slidey stinking badness that exists in the darkness. If you forsake your name, you abandon that protection and leave yourself vulnerable. Choosing a name as close as possible to your original given name will leave lingering protection, where choosing something wildly different will leave you open to attack from the things that live in the shadows.

Last names don't apply to the protection rule. They're just a thing passed down from generation to generation, an inheritance that assists others in identifying you without having any innate magical power. Do you want acquaintances or friends you've lost touch with to be able to find you without great difficulty? If the answer is no, leave your last name alone.

>Which female or male names do you really like, which ones do you really dislike? Give some inspiration to mtfs and ftms.
My only advice is to look at your own name and choose the male or female version of it. If it's an inherently unisex name already, or can be shortened to a unisex name, then there is little reason to alter it.
>>
>>7974321
it's definitely feminine if you live in the US. not sure about other countries
>>
>>7974372
Actually, after some research the Swedish version of Catherine is masculine, and the diminutive form "Kit" is unisex. Catherine is all right.
>>
slightly unrelated, but how do icelandic trannies deal with names? can they just change it however they want?
help appreciated from any icelandians here
>>
>>7959830
I know a lot more trans Alices than cis Alices, but I don't think it matters that much since only somebody who's trans or knows a lot of trans people would know that.

As long as it's a normal name for your age and ethnicity, anything goes
>>
Did any of you guys have a unisex name and keep it? Or just keep it regardless?
My name is Ashton and it would be easier to keep it but I don't know if that would seem weird or not.
>>
>>7943187
Is the name Kameron female enough?
>>
>>7976358
Makes me think of Cameron Diaz.
A similar sounding name would be Carmen.
>>
>>7952497
Anna is slaughtering. Is it just because Anna is more common today?
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.