[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is a "male" or a "female"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: thunking.jpg (32KB, 554x388px) Image search: [Google]
thunking.jpg
32KB, 554x388px
I'm genuinely curious. With the push to broaden the definitions beyond the confines of chromosomes, I'm wondering what it means when someone wishes to identify as a male or a female.

I have a friend who is biologically male, but prefers feminine pronouns, even though this person wouldn't dream of going through transition surgery and losing the dick and is biologically straight.

Why, then, would this person want to be called a female? What does it mean for you to be called one or the other?
>>
they want to abide by certain gender roles of the opposite sex mostly
>>
Female produces an egg while Male produces sperm. It is currently impossible for two females to reproduce or two males to reproduce. A female is capable of giving birth, a male is never capable of giving birth. It is possible for some organisms to change from male to female or female to male, humans are not one of them. Anything beyond that, like females enjoying make up, is due to society.

If someone who was born male wants to live as a "female" who cares, just respect them and let them live their life. They aren't actually female but they are what society sees a female as.
>>
>>7857472
Ah I forgot about seahorses, so some males are capable of giving birth but never producing egg.
>>
I'm an FtM. I consider myself to be someone whose biological gender (where "gender" is a subjective sense of identity that is driven by our neurology) to be male, and my sex (where "sex" can refer to your genotype, e.g. chromosomes, or your phenotype, e.g. the combination of genitals and, to a lesser extent, secondary sex characteristics) to be female in every respect.

I don't really want to change the actual definition of "male" or "female" in the sense that biologists would use it, no. I would just like more people to grasp that there is more nuance to sexual dimorphism than "muh chromosomes," especially as high-level, self-aware social mammals.

When idiots shout at me, "You can't change your sex! You'll always have XX chromosomes," it's not that I disagree. I just don't think it's especially relevant to my life. I'm not a simple creature like an earthworm, so who cares about reductive shit like my chromosomes? My brain is far more important.

I have absolutely no idea what to make of your friend. Can't tell if they're being a special snowflake Tumblrite, or just a pussy about transitioning.
>>
>>7857463
you can get people born with female bodies and XY chromosomes and people born with male bodies and XX chromosomes though
lrn2intersex

sex =/= chromosomes
sex = phenotype expression of a variety of chromosomal, genetic and environmental factors
>>
>>7857475
Male seahorses don't really give birth, that's a misconception.
Basically they have a pouch like a kangaroo that the female lays her eggs in.
>>
>>7857530

You mean biological males with child-bearing hips and biological females with five-o-clock shadow?

Has there been a case of an XX being able to impregnate, or an XY being able to be impregnated?
>>
>>7857463

Probably because he's a faggot who's too pussy to just go ahead and be faggy while still being cishet, so he has to hide behind and delegitimise a medical condition.
>>
>>7857527
Second.
>>
>>7857601
no and that tripfaggot has no clue what he's talking about
>>
>>7857463
>With the push to broaden the definitions beyond the confines of chromosomes,
Not to be a pedantic little shit, but I'm gonna be a pedantic little shit and point out that gender was never defined by chromosomes. Ever.
By the time humanity was even aware that chromosome existed, we were also aware of things like androgen insensitivity syndrome and other conditions that just totally override your sex chromosomes.
>>
>>7857601
>or an XY being able to be impregnated?
http://www.gendercare.com/library/italiano_paper3.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2190741/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12137885
>>
>>7857463
Passable=female.
>>
>>7857886

I had no idea it could go that far. That's pretty interesting.
>>
>>7857472
>just respect them
no.
I don't dish out respect willy nilly
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.