[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The 80s aka /history/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 5393308.jpg (131KB, 1024x734px) Image search: [Google]
5393308.jpg
131KB, 1024x734px
Is anyone here old enough to remember the 80s?

I am not, and from my perspective, I can hardly imagine a more alienating time for gays in all of human history.

Share your stories, if you'd like.
>>
>>7826907
>I can hardly imagine a more alienating time for gays in all of human history.
Gays are killed or jailed in a lot of middle eastern countries.
>>
>>7828736
Yeah but the silver lining is that keeping the culture underground encourages monogamy. The Middle East has some of the lowest HIV rates in the world.

The 80s in the US though, for gays? Drugs everywhere, hypergamy everywhere, disease everywhere, obnoxious political activists everywhere. Your homosexual activities might have been legal in many states by then, but the public still hated you just like in the Middle East. The only difference is that the gay community in America offered no social capital or wholesomeness of any kind. You were quite literally alone.
>>
>>7826907
Yeah, I'm old enough and the 80's was a time of huge expansion for a gay culture. Artists like Elton John and David Bowie were open about their sexuality. Much of the Technopop music (Depeche Mode, Petshop Boys, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Culture Club, etc.) was by gay musicians. Straights and gays were mixing in discos. Yeah, AIDS was a big bummer but much of the freedom that you younger folks enjoy now comes from the 80's.
>>
>>7831282
>Straights and gays were mixing in discos.
Color me surprised. I guess everything wasn't all doom and gloom.
>>
File: wojnarowciz.jpg (26KB, 802x594px) Image search: [Google]
wojnarowciz.jpg
26KB, 802x594px
Personally fascinated with early gay history esp. the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRZwT3Ne40g
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qfFbtIj5w

btw anyone ever seen Nostalgia Chick's deconstruction of RENT? one of my favorite videos on the subject
>>
I'm obsessed with the eighties but I know it would have been such hell for me to have lived back then. so i'm fairly happy just loving the music and fashion from afar.

it did generate beauty like this though-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuz94ZIPfJk
>>
>>7830979
Do you think there aren't any other problems in the middle east? The fact that you think that getting killed for your sexuality isn't so bad just show how little you value life. Just because you lived in the 80's doesn't mean you had to abide by all the stereotypes.
>>
>>7826907
I was born in 82.
The 80s were my early childhood so they were fucking awesome to me, but I didn't find out what "gay" actually meant until the early 90s (thanks Oprah!).

>Share your stories...
ok
>be dumb little faggot
>have huge crush on two of my guy friends but don't even know what a crush is so just confused about my feelings
>tackle and hug them a lot and be really annoying
>they don't like me very much
>whatever
>watch awesome horror movies, play nintendo, build blanket/cushion forts and crawl around behind/under and jump on/off the furniture pretending to be Indiana Jones
>ride bikes all over town/go to the park by myself/with friends without supervision because adults aren't all fucking insane and overprotective
>have kid-urban-legend about the evil pedophile in town and every time we see an old man we pretend its him and ride our bikes away as fast as possible while screaming that he is going to get us
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.