[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi people Im an occupational therapy student and for one of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: .png (12KB, 400x173px) Image search: [Google]
.png
12KB, 400x173px
Hi people

Im an occupational therapy student and for one of our assignments we have to create an occupational therapy service where there is a gap in health services.

My group has chosen to focus on trans people and employment and to see if there is a role for occupational therapists to support trans people with finding/changing/maintaining employment during/after their transition period. Occupational therapists work in many areas of health care and are interested in helping people engage in meaningful activities. Research suggests that trans people feel marginalised and face many barriers to occupational engagement.

Im posting to gain a flavour of experiences trans folk here might have had in relation to work and being trans.

Are you trans and employed?
Have you received any discrimination or other problems at work?
How easy was it to find work as a transperson?
Did your employer make any changes to the workplace to accommodate your needs?
Did you receive support from anyone to help prepare you to get a job?
Alternatively, if you are unemployed do you think its because you are trans?

Thanks.
>>
Are you trans and employed?
Yes and yes.

Have you received any discrimination or other problems at work?
No. My only problem is that HR puts "male" on everything but that's because the state I live in won't recognize a gender marker change without surgery. Whatever.

How easy was it to find work as a transperson?
Probably as difficult as it is for anyone looking for a job.

Did your employer make any changes to the workplace to accommodate your needs?
My employer ensured my legal name at the time didn't appear anywhere except for HR documents, which I thought was a considerate gesture that he didn't have to do. Things like my ID, my mailbox, my email, were all in my preferred name when I got there.

Did you receive support from anyone to help prepare you to get a job?
Officially or professionally? No. Nothing other than friends and family.

Alternatively, if you are unemployed do you think its because you are trans?
When I was unemployed, as far as I can tell, it was no one's fault but my own.

I'll say that I do live in the Southern US so I'm not exactly a welcome minority either.
>>
I'm gay but will bump to help you out.
>>
Well, I transitioned in the job I had, and my co-workers were super cool about it, so I feel that my experience is atypically positive.

The only real hardships I've faced at work has been figuring out the line of disclosure for customers and when to correct them when they get it wrong,because I have a high profile job, and I'd already been there for about 10 years already.

Honestly, the way I am told, almost all of the negativity for my transition at work was directed at my friends and coworkers, and almost none at myself. In my case, they all had my back, but I imagine the scenario could be entirely different. There have only been a handful of times where the management has had to take a customer aside and tell them that they either have to be respectful, or they have to leave and stop coming back.

But hey, the amount of customers excited for me way outweighed the negativity, so there is that at least. Now I am a year and a half in, and pretty settled in. The only weirdness is from people that already knew me before, so I guess you could say that I am there for presenting socially as female, which is possibly why it hasn't been so bad. It is also probably why those that are weird are being so, because they have a weird cognitive dissonance that they can't resolve, so they have to call attention and reject it.
>>
>>7628978
>>7629013

thanks for replying.
>>
>OT
Huh, I work in OT too anon. What do you feel could be the role of OT with regards to trans people?
>>
>>7628929
>Are you trans and employed?
Yes, but only 4 months into HRT and presenting male. Boss is aware that I have mental health issues but not aware that I am trans
>Have you received any discrimination or other problems at work?
No, I work for a small business; people who can't get along with one another in small teams don't last long in my experience.
>How easy was it to find work as a transperson?
>Did your employer make any changes to the workplace to accommodate your needs?
I think they would be accommodating; they have always been flexible when I have to go to appointments.
>Did you receive support from anyone to help prepare you to get a job?
No.
>Alternatively, if you are unemployed do you think its because you are trans?
n/a
>>
>yes, gainfully employed
>No discrimination, pass 100% and then deal with thirsty men thinking I'm cis on top of that
>It was easy cuz I'm not a failure. Higher educated, and don't look like a tranny
>Why the heck would an employer change a workplace to suit 0.2% of the population
>No, I don't need to be handheld through the real world. Not easily TRIGGERED

Thanks, pseudo science OP. Good luck at Starbucks.
>>
>>7628929

No, never. Only worked for my dad.

Kind of. I pass but I never learned how to get jobs because I was too busy freaking out in high school. I have no idea what to do now that I'm an attractive girl, I've been thinking of camming....
>>
>>7628929
maybe im unclear on what an occupational therapist does but it doesn't seem like this is an area which would actually make sense?

If a trans person has trouble being employed in a highly discriminatory area there's not much therapy you can do for the person to help, it's not the person with a life skills issue preventing them from being able to work. The only helpful things one could do would be to lobby for legal changes to hiring practices or for social change. Or help the trans person pass better and help the trans person change their legal documents to evade discrimination. Or I suppose help the trans person move to a different area. None of these seem to be the job of an occupational therapist.

It's like say if there was a qualified perfectly normal black man who couldn't find a job in the south due to discrimination. There's not much therapy to be done to solve that.
>>
yes
>Have you received any discrimination or other problems at work?
no
>How easy was it to find work as a transperson?
As hard as it is for a cis person I guess. I would say it was harder when I was early transition and my legal documents weren't changed. Also a problem was that my previous employers knew me as my previous gender so it was kind of tricky to put them as references. But luckily I my 2 most recent references knew me as a woman so I was good to go for my current job.
>Did your employer make any changes to the workplace to accommodate your needs?
no, Im stealth
>Did you receive support from anyone to help prepare you to get a job?
yes, I knew someone who's a manager at that company and that helped me get an interview.
I think I'd make/have more money if I wasn't trans, I dropped out of college because of depression/dysphoria. I plan to go back to school soon but right now getting enough money as fast as I can to pay for my transition is more important for me.

In case it's relevant, I'm in Canada.
>>
>>7629633
>>7630525
well it would depend on what particular issue surrounding employment they have. the idea is to embed an OT in an existing service for trans people.

perhaps they feel unprepared for interviews so skills training/interview practising could be a part of the intervention

perhaps they need support and advice in how to be convincingly "feminine" or "masculine" - makeup, clothing, societal expectations and attitudes towards men and women.

education on their legal rights in regards to employment

advocating and lobbying on their behalf to help arrange workplace accommodations to help ease their transition

education on stress management techniques to help mitigate the effects of discrimination they face in the workplace.

thats just off the top of my head.
>>
ooh i seem to have missed this thread. have a free bump
>>
>>7634427
Huh, it tends to be more medical in my country, and more to do with day to day function(/occupation) rather than about work itself. Interesting
>>
>>7636558
Im UK based. OTs work in medical settings too (my last placement was on a stroke ward). I plan to work in the medical side of OT when I graduate. They're also very prevalent in mental health and community settings as well as newer role emerging settings like working with homeless people, refugees and even disaster relief. Transgender people too obviously!
The idea here is that work is an occupation and part of role forming for individuals so helping them adapt that occupation (and adapt themselves) to fit their needs is going to enhance their engagement in it and find it more fulfilling and meaningful.

What country are you based in?
>>
Hello,

Are you trans and employed? Yes and yes

Have you received any discrimination or other problems at work? Not at my current job.

How easy was it to find work as a transperson? The only real change was researching companies beforehand to find their stance on it.

Did your employer make any changes to the workplace to accommodate your needs? My current employer has multiple trans individuals working for them, so it wasn't an issue. My previous employer fired me as soon as they found out I was trans.

Did you receive support from anyone to help prepare you to get a job? No.

Alternatively, if you are unemployed do you think its because you are trans? N/a.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.