[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain what gender is?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (12KB, 328x153px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 328x153px
The more I think about it the less I understand what gender is or why it's a thing in the first place.

It seems like gender is just following the sterotypes of the two sexes (which makes sense considering 99% of people's gender matches thier sex). But then, some guys act feminine and some women act masculine so I can't see why gender isn't arbitrary.

Then trans people are just biological males or females who want a reason as to why they're outside of the norm

I'm not trying to be an asshole I'm just a guy on female hormones who crossdresses and I just started thinking about how am I different to a pre-Op transgirl other than how I think of myself
>>
>>7551725
we are all human beings, everything else is just subjective.
>>
>>7551725
>some guys act feminine and some women act masculine
very few people actually act like the opposite gender
butch women are not much like men and effeminate men are not much like women
they are certainly more like the opposite gender than most people of their gender are, but there are fundamental differences
people who genuinely act like the opposite natal sex are extremely rare and always trans, and are a small subset of even trans people
if women acting like men and men like women was a meaningful phenomenon, 4chan would have plenty of butch lesbian anons
>>
>>7551736
True, but it is possible to act feminine while identifying as a man so what is the point defining the gender in the first place? I'm saying I'm starting to think it's solely to give people an excuse 'to themselves' for acting out side of sex-norms
>>
People who identify as non binary are just following a trend.

MtFs and FtMs are born with a genetic mutation causing them to have the neuron count and neural density of the opposite sex. They "think like" the gender they identify as because their brains are physically wired differently.
>>
>>7551725
My tentative definition of gender is basically that you are a peace with your physical appearance. You can imagine that this has to do with the fact all people have an innate concept of masculine and feminine. As a cis male, you embody the same concept of masculinity that your physical appearance projects, and vice versa for females.
>>
you sound like a terf
>>
>>7553591
Or could be that their brain morphology is neither typically male or female. Though that doesn't mean you can construct other binary categories. There is only male and female characteristics you can draw from, even if you aren't specifically more like one or the other.
>>
>>7553783
other arbitrary categories*
>>
>>7551725
Gender is Jewish term, re-designed to conflate your personality with your biological sex and increase sales of hormones and plastic surgery.
>>
>>7553774
What's a terf? I'm just a femboy afaik
>>
File: 394058.png (3MB, 1504x1496px) Image search: [Google]
394058.png
3MB, 1504x1496px
>>7553794
It was "designed" only in that it was created to induce males and females into acting into prescribed ways. It was never re-designed, just utilized in any manner possible to exert control over people, both in traditionalist and non-traditionalist settings.
>>
>>7553805
It meant 'classification' or 'type' in regards to biological difference for 700 years until (((feminists))) began using it to describe behaviours and social attributes.
>>
>>7553905
To be fair, gender has been more than a biological system of classification for a very long time. Masculinity and femininity have been considered metaphysical concepts, and have been used to describe different aspects of nature. It depends on where you look.
>>
>>7553918
Until fairly recently in Western culture, prior to the enlightenment era, people had a pretty poor understanding of "biology" in the first place. You're using modern ideas to engage in historical revisionism.
>>
>>7553918
Nah m8 you're being incredibly unfair, by inventing a history that never existed, for a word.
>>
>>7553961
Your ignorance has nothing to do with reality. Why do you think male and female pronouns are given to inanimate objects? It's more than a language contrivance. People have throughout history associated male and female attributes with different things.

Plenty of theologians, mystics and alchemists considered male and female qualities to objective characteristics of reality. In alchemy, the sun is a symbol of masculinity, and the moon one of femininity. It's all there, if you weren't too stupid and lazy to research before you speak about things you know nothing of.
>>
>>7553987

I'm not denying that common sexual characteristics can be attributed to things.

I'm saying that the word gender was never used in a way that differs from how we use sex, until the 60's.

To call a noun in your own or another language 'gendered' is the recognition that the word is a type of sex. Not that the characteristic that led to the words 'gendering' is a gender itself.

Point being..
Seeing your own behaviour and sexual preferences as gendered is normal, seeing them as 'a gender' is very new.
>>
File: 70726911.jpg (19KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
70726911.jpg
19KB, 255x255px
>>7551725
>>
File: BSTc.jpg (76KB, 959x714px) Image search: [Google]
BSTc.jpg
76KB, 959x714px
>>7551725
>things that exist in culture don't actually exist hurr durr

Look, a traffic light is a cultural construct but trying running through one in a busy junction and see how well you fair. Just because something exists in culture, it doesn't automatically make it something arbitrary that needs to be ignored. Also trannies brains are literally hardwired the same way women's brains are. Culture is influenced by biology and biology can also be influenced by culture. They are not totally separate entities that live in a vacuum.
>>
>>7553591
Do AGPs have this mutation to?
>>
>>7553591
>because their brains are physically wired differently.

mental disorder confirmed
>>
>>7551733
lel
this is literally exactly as dumb as saying "we're all male or female, but what species we are is subjective"
>>
>>7553987
>It's more than a language contrivance.
No, it's not. Word gender is literally nothing more than a grammatical contrivance based on what sounds "right" to a honking ape. Grammatical gender isn't even processed by the same locus of the brain as lexical content, i.e. words with meaning and not just function.

t. professional linguist
>>
>>7551725
You're thinking about it the wrong way
The stereotypes don't determine what is male and female gender-wise, male and female existing created the stereotypes over time. Sure, some people don't follow the stereotypes, but that doesn't mean they aren't the gender they don't fit Into: Transgender = unstereotypical for the gender associated with their sex + mental illness known as dysphoria.

That doesn't really answer the question though... Gender is the sex you believe yourself to be, as well as the typical mental characteristics associated with said sex. it's probably real, as opposed to being a social construct, and probably arises from differences between the brains of men and women, otherwise transgenderism wouldn't exist.
>>
>>7551725
Yeah fuck femboyism. You are transgirls with a different name. The name comes with less stigma but most people think you are a snowflake. Some parts of gender are stereotypes but I think the basics is basically true. Due to our separate biological 'function', we see ourselves and perceive our world a little differently for it. Oversexualization and the marketing of sexuality has made it harder for males to explore theirs. Some people, advertisers and feminists maybe, at some point grabbed 75% of the gender spectrum and claimed it for females. Hatred of transwomen is misandry. That bullshit aside, I think early humans' development of gender roles was mainly from their sensibilities and adaptations rather than forced externally.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.