[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern Gender Definitions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (16KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 400x400px
Hey, straight guy confused modern definitions here. Back in college I got chewed out for saying or doing the wrong thing. My understanding is as follows:

Sex = biological designation at birth, two choices (excluding hermaphrodites)
Gender = internal view of yourself and what you project to the world, is a spectrum (?)

So regular guys and gals are born with the same sex and gender.

Transgender guys and gals are born with a gender set to the opposite of their sex.

But what confuses me is the seeming contradiction of gender being a social construct vs trans people being born with a particular gender. Like how are transgender people born with it if masculinity/femininity are just learned social constructs? Is it purely a genital thing?

Also is chivalrous behavior (holding doors, assisting carrying objects that appear too heavy) okay if it's for everyone regardless of sex/gender?

What have I messed up?
>>
>>7511214

No

Men are men

Women are women

Trans people are mentally ill
>>
File: 1483463439664.jpg (196KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1483463439664.jpg
196KB, 1000x1000px
>>7511214
>But what confuses me is the seeming contradiction of gender being a social construct vs trans people being born with a particular gender

Innate gender identity =! innate gender attributes
>>
>>7511222

And LGBT denied their own human nature because they have low self esteem
>>
>>7511214
this is most important >>7511222

gender identity is man or woman. Gender attributes or gender roles or whatever do not define gender. A woman who has short hair and wears pants and holds open doors is maybe more masculine than other women, but that doesn't necessarily change her gender at all.
>>
>>7511222
>>7511234
Ok, so what does gender identity actually consist of then? Just the physical differences? Like if femininity is optional to be female, what does it mean to be female?
>>
>>7511221

trolling lgbt boards to try to get them to convert to heterosexuality is mentally ill tbqh
>>
>>7511273
the way I'd describe it is gender is the sex you see your self as on the inside I guess. I'm not really sure how a person knows what they are, but they just do.
For instance, I'm physically male, and I think I would see myself as male even if I had a genderless body, or no body, or whatever theoretical idea. I'm still more feminine than most guys, but I still believe I am male.
>>
Gender Roles (girls should wear pink) are social constructs.

Gender Identity (thinking that you should have a penis even if you don't have one) is due to brain structure (determined by hormone balance in utero [during pregnancy]).
>>
>>7511344
So is trans girls liking to play with dolls as a kid an inaccurate stereotype?
>>
>>7511357
just because gender roles are social constructs doesn't mean they don't exist, if a young boy has the gender identity of a girl he might play with dolls to be more like girls.
>>
>>7511384
So hypothetically a trans girl in a society where women stereotypically dress in dull colors and play rough might be more likely to do these things to fit in with other girls right?
>>
>>7511427
Yup, that would make sense
>>
File: it's not fast enough. help me.jpg (50KB, 723x780px) Image search: [Google]
it's not fast enough. help me.jpg
50KB, 723x780px
>>7511214
As long as it's not patronizing, 'chivalrous' behavior to everyone is fine. It's just being nice. It's really easy to have it turn into patronizing behavior though.

Sex you got right. If you want to keep it simple and stay out of the crazy deep-end of the lgbt pool, gender isn't a spectrum, it's just what sex you would like to be. That should be enough to get by with reasonable people, and the rest of the distinctions are just shit no one has to worry about unless you are a person who has problems with your gender or are close to someone who does.

People who say gender is a social construct are insane. Some people say gender roles are a social construct, which is a bit more reasonable, but not so linear in my opinion.

Basically the idea is that "'girls wear pink and play with dolls and boys wear blue and play with army men' is false and they only do that because they're expected to.". I think there's obviously biological predispositions based on your sex/gender. Men are obviously more likely to be military focused and women are obviously more likely to be homemaking focused, just because that makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint. However, men have worn pink everywhere at every time and women have worn blue everywhere at every time, so the recent notion that pink is girly is obviously just a byproduct of where our culture is now.

Trans people can go against some gender roles without being what we call 'transtrenders', who are people who just pretend to be trans for whatever reason. A natural born woman can obviously be a tomboy, and a trans one can too, since all trans means is that you want to be a natural born member of the opposite sex.

There's no hard line on when you become an asshole who's just pretending to want to be a member of the opposite sex, it's one of those things that's usually taken so far that you know it when you see it.
>>
Men and women have different brain sizes, speeds, and amounts of grey and white matter. If someone gets born with the brain characteristics of one sex and the body of another, you get a trans.
>>
>>7511214

Sex:

Physical biology, determined at conception.

Male Female or Intersex are the only options, obviously intersex has many flavours.

Neurological, i.e. Physical and Psychological. Determined in first trimester.

Gender is the neurological structure that informs which gender roles (this is the social aspect) that the individual is imprinted with. So a female gendered male will imprint on female general roles from within their society.

Male Female and Trans are the only options, obviously there are many flavours of trans as with intersex.

Sexuality:

Purely psychological, although experiences throughout childhood will affect the sexuality of the individual, current thinking suggests that post natal environmental factors are far less influential than pre natal factors.

Anything that falls outside of this paradigm is a mental illness, and likely a form of BDD or something similar. That said, by the strictest definition any anomalous gender or sexuality identities are "mental illnesses" but we aren't talking about dysfunctional mental processes such as low serotonin production, we are talking about structural anomalies or anomolous neural pathways. Again, this is only mental illness by the strictest definition. Though, that definition comes out of a Christian world view that believes there is an ideal version of a human and anything that falls outside of this paradigm is "illness" when in reality mental illness should be assessed from a 'function vs dysfunction' standpoint.

When viewed in this was transgenderism is not a mental illness, however the dismorphia or dysphoria that is associated is. Instead of viewing the unchangable anomaly as the problem.
>>
All you have to know is:
-male
-female
-tumblr fad

there's no wrong way to be a man or a woman. saying you're a third gender because you don't like to wear dresses is misogynist
>>
Allow me to clear up the confusion OP.
What happened was you encountered what was essentially a cultist. Imagine if rather than talking about gender they were rather talking about thetans and your reactive mind. Obvious cult jargon, right? Sameither thing here. There is a band of people OBSESSED with 'gender', which is a word the apropriated and more accurately would be described as gender roles and norms, except they seem to think of it as being some sort of intrinsic part of you. They pick some sort of arbitrary subset of behaviors and preferences and give it a 'gender' label.

What it really is is an excersize in naval gazing. They will be all on and on about how they are some new special gender, as if they were the next stage of human evolution or something. Really all they are is gender non-conforming. If you encounter someone like this just smile and nod and tell them how neat it is that they are so very special while backing away slowly.

Transgender is the new aspergers.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.