[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Jordan Peterson transphobic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: images.jpg (6KB, 200x188px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 200x188px
Is Jordan Peterson transphobic?
>>
>>7499192
Is OP a faggot?
>>
>>7499931
Obviously. Seriously, though, what does the free speech /lgbt/ section think of him?

On the one hand, 4chan is always for saying whatever the duck we want. On the other, he doesn't want trans people telling him what he has to say. Where do you all fall on this?
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 600x800px
>>7499192
2017 has great things in store for him.
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 960x743px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 960x743px
>>7499192
Haven't you heard? He's literally Satan Hitler

>>7500181
> the duck
I understand your autocorrect pain.
As a UofT student I'm on his side.
>>
>>7499192
>>7500181
LGBT is not the SJW board. I don't give a fuck about him or any of what he says.

Nonbinary people are transtrenders anyway. Nothing he has said offends me in anyway.

The worst meme is the idea that /lgbt/ is somehow /sjw/
>>
>>7500181
Free speech, freedom of association, free choice, etc. all good and dandy. I'd rather the state not be involved in enforcing anything. I'd rather there be no overarching social pressure to make assholes hide in the closet. If someone wants to be disrespectful I'd rather they do that overtly rather than covertly. I'd rather know about it. Only then can I make meaningful decisions about who to interact with. People can call me whatever they want, there are just consequences to doing so. I don't expect people to perceive me as a woman, but I do my part to LARP like a motherfucker and it just makes life a whole lot easier when everybody plays along. Anyway, I've experienced very little transphobia or negativity from men. I'm with Peterson so far as he talks about the necessity of certain foundational blocks of society, which by their categorical nature are exclusionary. He talked in one video about how, if same-sex couples are going to play the game of marriage, they ought to adhere to its rules and give up the promiscuity, and I completely agree with that. If you destroy the meaning of something, then you might as well be grasping a pile of sand. Trans people by their nature bend the rules, but they shouldn't ever break them.
>>
Jordan Peterson is probably not transphobic. His main objections to the Canadian bill C-16 were the broader free speech implications of it, not out of a general dislike of transgender people, or a concern that it might lead to their acceptance. He has stated that he hasn't seen any evidence to the validity of non-binary gender identity, but this can be seen as a professional scientific opinion which could be swayed by actual evidence, rather than a personal distaste, and which also says nothing of his opinion on MtFs and FtMs, who we know are probably the only transgender identities with a strong amount of scientific backing behind. When asked if he would use different pronouns for a person if asked, he admitted that though he has never been asked to do so by any of his students, it would depend upon how they asked. If it seemed like they had some sort of "chip on their shoulder" or they had political motives, he would say no. Presumably, this seems to imply that a person truly is experiencing dysphoria, that he might use their preferred pronouns.

I would say he probably has a very complex view on transgender people, which is telling, given that he is a Psychology professor, and wants to keep his views on this on a strictly professional basis, rather than a political basis. That said, I am extrapolating based on what I do know from what he's said, and I think that the best way to get to the bottom of this man's opinions would be with another interview, preferably without asking questions in a way that could be perceived as some sort of political trap. According to his Wikipedia page, Dr. Peterson's research interests include narrative, deception, and motivation, among other things, which suggests that it might be a good idea to word one's questions carefully.
>>
Considering the canadian economy is collapsing I'm surprised people are so opposed to C-16.

Whenever I've applied for jobs I always put that I'm a native american if they ask. They're not legally allowed to challenge you on it. I'm white and certainly not even remotely native but they can't do anything about it.
I've never been asked about gender yet but I'd certainly put I'm trans or non-binary or whatever the fuck I don't care lol
The stipulation of having these laws is that you can't question people about lying on them, it's illegal. If people want equality maybe actually put some effort into actually achieving it. These laws are just so lazy liberals can pat themselves on the back and make themselves feel like they did something.
>>
No, he's pointing out there is no clinical evidence that labelling people as an infinite amount of genders has positive mental health outcomes, there is no evidence a fair amount of these genders actually exist and they're not just a societal construct and when facebook has over 70 genders it's likely at least one of them is horseshit, and the government trying to make dissent against any gender labels a human rights violation is insane. You can't dissent against a gender label because that's hate speech against peoples gender expression.

The last part is important, the government has criminalised dissent against pseudoscientific SJW common sense. It's a threat to free speech, it's a threat to academic freedom, it's a threat to evidence based medicine. MtF and FtM are increasingly getting treated as pseudoscience BECAUSE they're getting lumped in with SJW pseudoscience despite the fact they're not pseudoscience. The left is confusing and enraging the fuck out of people believing that of a piece of paper says being transphobic is illegal, that will stop the problem, they're not looking at the big picture.

People just go "That Jordan Peterson guy just wants the right to harass trans because he's afraid of them hurr durr" don't really get that Jordan Peterson is the way forward for the LGBT movement because he's advocating for free speech and the government having evidence before making policy. This will only help make people friendlier towards trans, and anti-trans viewpoints are EVEN MORE RETARDED than the SJW viewpoints on issues. The SJWs believe in things before evidence has proved them, the trans haters believe in outright disproven misinformation.

Jordan Peterson is speaking out against a recent distrust of evidence, and distrust of free speech growing among the left. People need to realise NOTHING he said was incompatible with promoting LGBT viewpoints, it's a check on the left going so far they're alienating the people they're trying to win over.
>>
File: 1483295869117.jpg (78KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1483295869117.jpg
78KB, 640x640px
>>7500269
>>7500320
>>7500379
>>7501168
Why are Jordan fanboys such blabbermouths? Is it the freedom of speech thing?

>I would say he probably has a very complex view on transgender people
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>7501229
He's an academic. It's a disservice to him, and to yourself, to meet him with quippy one-liners and memes.
>>
>>7501229
Because it takes a lot of words to explain why Peterson is laying the groundwork for progress, whereas SJWs are abusing their current political power to curtail free speech with no regard for if it will actually help LGBT people, despite superficially seeming to be helping LGBT people.

People that are against Peterson are just knee-jerkers that prance around their own echochambers afraid this peterson guy is a crypto-bigot. When you have retarded opinions without nuance, it's easier to write short posts.

Who the fuck else am I supposed to support on LGBT issues in a world of deluded SJWs and people that unironically post misinformation from conservative think thanks that prove trans acceptance leads to suicide?
>>
File: Bg75Go9CMAAvCmd.jpg (72KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Bg75Go9CMAAvCmd.jpg
72KB, 768x1024px
>>7501272
Aww, Jordynne fans think that they're part of academia because they repeat his basic talking points ad infinitum and that because -- lmao -- he's saying exactly what everyone else was thinking! That makes you smart, doesn't it boy.

Although yeah, thanks for your "service". I wouldn't doubt that he's very proud of you. You're learning so fast. Keep it up.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (17KB, 350x277px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
17KB, 350x277px
>>7501319
>think that they're part of academia
I'm a grad student.
>>
>>7501319
>Man these guys keep using talking points I can't refute repeatedly
>lmfao they're using the same talking points repeatedly
>Petershits BTFO!

We're for Peterson because we're tired of people refusing to argue the merits of their logic. I've been an LGBT ally probably since I was kid, because LGBT people were always on the side of science and open debate. Now trying to question if what LGBT people are doing is a good idea no longer results in links to scientific studies and lengthy TL:DR posts, but dismissive ad hominem attacks.

The SJWs have killed the intellectual integrity of LGBT supporters, and Peterson is the cure.
>>
File: 2D4D ratio.png (2MB, 1212x1442px) Image search: [Google]
2D4D ratio.png
2MB, 1212x1442px
>>7501345
So you're like really inarticulate or something? That's the underlying issue? wowwee.

>misinformation from conservative think thanks that prove trans acceptance leads to suicide
You mean Jordan's argument about the idea of trans legislation being "too fast, too soon"?

>>7501345
University of Life, presumably?
>>
>>7501391
Peterson isn't arguing that bill C-16 is too fast too soon, he's arguing that the government shouldn't be interfering with free speech and academic debate.

He's arguing against government policy not backed up by evidence. He is pointing out, quite logically, that it's absurd that recognising every form of gender identity/gender expression that people can come up with is valid, and acting like it is justified to fire people from their jobs for refusing to acknowledge a gender tumblr invented a few months ago, is absurd.

He isn't saying that this is coming so soon, he's pointing out that enforcing that people use certain gender labels to refer to certain people is essentially social experimentation forced upon us by the government, with no evidence that it has good societal outcomes. He's correctly pointing out that in a desire to be socially progressive and ahead of the curve, people are advocating policy that they have no idea is positive or not, while curtailing free speech. He's not trying to delay a bill that would be positive for LGBT people until a more convenient date, he is trying to ensure the bill is actually positive for LGBT people and balanced against free speech concerns, whereas SJW morons don't care if they're helping people so long as they can virtue signal that they were ahead of the curve on LGBT issues.

He's not saying we can't have a bill where we ensure that trans people can get a job without being subject to discrimination. He is pointing to a more general problem within Canada of unelected human rights tribunals that determine what is hate speech and what is not, an issue more broad than simply how it pertains to trans people.

This is what people here don't really get, the problem Peterson is fighting against is the Human Rights Tribunals and the lack of constitutional right to free speech in Canada as a whole. They've targeted comedians multiple times. Bill C-16 is just the most recent manifestation of this.
>>
>>7501391
>Criticises people for being inarticulate
>Can't articulate an actual argument
>Only posts snappy one-liners that clearly bullshit under even the most minimal examination.

Why not post on twitter if you hate well thought out arguments and love snappy one-liners?
>>
>>7501309
>Who the fuck else am I supposed to support on LGBT issues in a world of deluded SJWs and people that unironically post misinformation from conservative think thanks that prove trans acceptance leads to suicide?
Yeah, about that. Wasn't there something weird about that study? I don't remember, exactly, but something like 'having a boss accepting you causes more suicide ideation, not less'.
>>
>>7503607
As opposed to pretty much all the other findings, which showed that more acceptance = less suicide ideation.
>>
>>7500256
Refer to this post whenever these arguments come up.
>>
You guys realize this man is a lunatic who only looks good because of whiny SJWs right? Have you ever actually listened to the shit he says?
>>
>>7499192
I don't know, but the guy is a complete moron. And don't give me that "MUH PHD" nonsense, none of you care about credentials when it comes to the so-called "liberal academia". He's just yet another panderer saying what you want to hear. Make sure to like and subscribe, follow him on Twitter and Facebook, and give lots of money to his Patreon. Together you can fight the system by doing absolutely nothing.
>>
I've only heard of him from the joe rogan podcast he was on.

I agree with him that it's scary to have the government decide/enforce what language you use to refer to a person and agreed with a lot of the free speech stuff on campuses and such.

At the end he went on a weird rant about religion that felt a lot like word salad and that sounded really odd but I wasn't listening intently to it so it might have made some sense

He sounds a bit like kermit the frog too which is a big plus
>>
>>7503666
I have, yeah. He's respectable. I disagree with him about the creation of heroes, I think they're based on archetypes, rather than an amalgamation of great people, but otherwise, yeah. He's worth listening to.

Have you heard the Joe Rogan podcast?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.