[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being gay a mental illness?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: stupidrainbow.png (348B, 259x172px) Image search: [Google]
stupidrainbow.png
348B, 259x172px
A mental illness is ‘a condition which causes serious disorder in a person’s behaviour or thinking.’

The Condition isn’t quite articulated right now, there is info out there but nothing is concrete yet.

We think of order as the most popular pattern that occurs in all humans, which in terms of sexuality is straight. So we view it like this; I’m picturing a road that everyone drives on, and if you don’t experience the ‘gay’ condition, you will continue on this road of order and you remain straight. And when people experience the ‘gay’ condition they go on a detour, a road that is not on the previous road of order, to a road of disorder of behaviour or thinking.
You also need to go through a condition to be on that road of order where you are straight, whether that condition is just being born. So, that means some conditions cause order and some cause disorder. And this way of thinking means that being gay is a mental illness…

But I don’t think I view it like that…
The definition of mental illness talks about a specific person’s behaviour or thinking, not a specific person’s behaviour or thinking relative to every other human being. And so on an individual level, I picture everyone on their own road of order that is evolving everyday, where we all go through conditions (genetic or otherwise), that changes our behaviour or thinking from yesterday.
To be straight you need to go through conditions that create the road that leads you to be straight and the same for gay people. That goes for every behaviour and thought you have… So in this way of thinking that means every thought and behaviour of ours is either an ever-evolving order or ever-evolving disorders.
>>
>>7456529
no
>>
>>7456529
yes
>>
>>7456529
>>
>>7456587
I'm perfectly fine lol..
>>
What an amazing discussion 4chan . . . ya'll suck
>>
>>7456600

based on what you've written, i would say your thinking is disordered.
>>
>>7456613
How so
>>
>>7456627

rambling
pointless
>>
>>7456652
It is my opinion on the subject lol, so anyone who comments on the actual subject means their thinking is disordered..... maybe yours is
>>
It is
>>
>>7456529
evolutionary purpose is to assist raising children without creating our own. We love people of the same gender so that we can still have those fulfilling relationships without creating babies.

I mean thats just my theory. Its one of those things where we don't know the answer and won't until some scientist figures it out so not worth worrying about
>>
If it causes suffering or reduces functioning it's a mental illness. If it's not then there is no point in diagnosing it.
>>
Homosexuality was only declassified as a mental illness in the 70s due to activist pressure.
>>
>>7456529
Being a tranny is a mental illness
>>
>>7456529
Its, more of a disorder that can result from trauma, or conditioning (DA JOOS), my other theory is that its a disease of affluence, meaning that the number of gays depends on the population
>>
File: tumblr_lijgebrylp1qadkreo1_500.gif (499KB, 465x351px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lijgebrylp1qadkreo1_500.gif
499KB, 465x351px
>>7456825

Does it make you feel better about yourself to say this?
Why do you think so?
Do you feel threatened by trans people?
Why?
>>
>>7456529
is it an evolutionary mishap yes, but at one point so was tight pussy, so im down with it.
>>
>>7457036
i have a friend who thinks it is a mental illness. he just says other people can do whatever the fuck they want as long as they don't bother him.
>>
>>7456529
Based Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uy3zBy7l1U
>>
>>7456529
Transexualism is a mental illness

Its so unatural
>>
>>7456744
Being gay does that in a way

Especially with trannies
>>
>>7456529
im not going to read most of that and instead tell you that 'mental illness' is an absolutely useless term in this context because its used to label brains which have behaviors which either harm the person directly or indirectly if it causes them to be incompatible with society
so without the context of someone who wants help, or would want help (this one's tricky), the term 'mental illness' can be attributed to any behavior i dont like and have pseudo-scientific backing
>>
>>7456556
>>7456562
Maybe
>>
>>7456529
>Is being gay a mental illness?
According to respected institutes of mental health, no.
According to "but I know better than all these scientist/psychologists/neuroscientists/whatever and it was clearly [conspiracy theory]/[bullet point of gay agenda] that forced it off the DSM instead of simple science" conspiracy theorists, it still is.
>>
>>7456529
I don't think so.

When psychologists talk about mental illnesses or personality disorders, they're not referring to abstract concepts of order and disorder at all. They're mostly concerned with their patients' ability to lead a fulfilling and happy life in human society. Practical stuff.

Thinking you can hear the voices of striped reptilian aliens or thinking about killing someone in visceral detail, maybe even working out a plan, halfheartedly - those are both examples of thoughts that can interfere with everyday activities and even compromise your happiness. It's an illness, for lack of a better word.

Fancying a specific gender or genders just doesn't have quite the same impact because it isn't such a deviation from the norm. It's something that most people do, in fact (although they might disapprove of your specific preferences).

But I'm a layman. And very biased.
>>
Yes but its not really harmful so its fine
>>
>>7456556
>>7456562
>>7456587
>>7456600
>>7456607
>>7456613
>>7456627
>>7456652
>>7456675
>>7456712
>>7456730
>>7456744
>>7456761
>>7456825
>>7456889
>>7456930
>>7457036
>>7457045
>>7457505
>>7457530
>>7457559
>>7457564
>>7458124
>>7458293
>>7458545
>>7458769
26 replies (and growing)… seriously? I think it's a sign for me to leave this board once and for all. You're all repressed faggots and it looks like you quite enjoy being sad and hating yourselves.
>>
>>7458788
Clearly. Either your reading comprehension is lacking or the posts are far too long to read, so just do it. Filter the entire board or something.
>>
>>7456529
Maybe but it ultimately doesn't matter because psychology is 99% pseudoscience

metal illness is a political buzzword and a crutch for the weak willed
>>
>>7458788
I don't hate myself but it is a mental illness
>>
>>7456730
Why wouldn't you just be asexual then? You wouldn't spread STDs that could potentially plague the rest of the tribe.
>evolutionarily speaking
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.