[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Ace Ventura: Pet Detective Transphobic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: sinfulcinemaaceventura_2.jpg (115KB, 550x331px) Image search: [Google]
sinfulcinemaaceventura_2.jpg
115KB, 550x331px
Should it be banned?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=jbygQq93ULM
>>
No because he pretended to be a woman to shake off the cops which is like something out of a kids' movie so why do you care?
>>
>>7294152

Yes obviously there's a strong anti-transgenderism message in it. It's overdone and it embarrasses me (because I liked that movie at the time). It isn't even needed; it's not especially funny in itself. It's just silly and dumb.

But no it shouldn't be banned, that's stupid.
>>
Nothing of the like should be banned. Jim carrey crying and running naked into a tub while his clothes burn in a garbage can is a pretty funny image. I see people say man tranny etc and it doesnt phase me because i am an adult with a job.
>>
>it hurts my fee fees
>ban it
Fucking hons are the worst
>>
>>7294152
>We will never get another Ace Ventura movie because of SJW whiners
Thanks a lot transfags.
>>
>>7294152
I'm a tranny and that movie is still hysterical. Fuck off SJWs, you ruin everything.
>>
>Somebody was deceptive about who they were and tricked somebody into experiencing something they were uncomfortable with
>because of my stupid identity politics this manipulative individual who clearly did something wrong is now the victim
>>
It shouldn't be banned for being transphobic, it should be banned for being a shit movie.
>>
>>7294575
> it should be banned for being a shit movie.
THIS

A 1,000 TIMES T H I S
>>
>>7294575
Fuck off, it's hilarious.
>>
Thread theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EPGhjxm0G0
>>
>>7294403
>>7294171
It's more the fact that in the later scene when it's revealed to a crowd of people all of them are also over-the-top disgusted. If it was just Ace then it wouldn't be so bad, but it's clear the they were just going "trannies are bad" (which the audience is presumed to agree with) beyond any joke in the reaction itself.
>>
File: wewlad.jpg (13KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
wewlad.jpg
13KB, 320x320px
>>7295450
>>
>>7294372
This.

People shouldn't judge older movies by today's standards. It's a product of it's time and it isn't deliberately attacking anyone. This is just how things used to be.
>>
>>7294152
> Is Ace Ventura: Pet Detective Transphobic?

I donno, maybe.

>Should it be banned?

What the fuck? Of course not. Even if it was blatantly and objectively transphobic, it shouldn't be banned.

You book-burning Nazi fuck.
>>
File: RayFinkle.jpg (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
RayFinkle.jpg
16KB, 500x500px
>>7295450
Yeah but they were disgusted because the dude used to be a jacked alpha male dude and everything. Only someone dumb like the audience could the movie make to think that "trannies are bad, m'kay."

Of course this cartoonish movie for kids is a huge embarrassment because your average Cody McSlackjawson after watching it might consider all trannies to be Finkles, i.e. deceptive men who hide their seemingly hidden identities but the best way to deal with this substandard fireplace fuel is not to watch it.
>>
File: samantha and chaser.gif (978KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
samantha and chaser.gif
978KB, 500x363px
>>7296135
>cartoonish movie for kids
Also I want to expand on this a bit further. It's a common trope in cartoons for a character to dress up and deceive someone as part of a punchline and right after he does, the same reaction ensures - vomiting, looking in the camera looking disgusted, the same thing you see in Ace Ventura. The only reason why this movie is "controversial" at all is because it is live action which is maybe the reason why people take it seriously even though the movie operates on the same narration level as a cartoon.
>>
>>7294152
>is it transphobic?
yes
>should it be banned?
of course not. It's from a different time, for one thing, and we don't ban racist films from earlier eras either. Birth of a Nation is regularly shown in film and pop culture classes.
This is done because intellectual communities and society at large permit and tolerate a broad range of opinions and a large catalog of ideas with the knowledge that with an open dialog, the better ideas tend to win out.
AND A CULTURE WHICH BANS THAT WHICH IS OFFENSIVE BUT ONLY POTENTIALLY (and not immediately) DANGEROUS IS THE EXACT THING WHOCH HELPED PROPEL TRUMP TO THE WHITE HOUSE
KNOCK THIS SHIT OFF FAGGOTS
>>
I can make everyone here feel bad.

It should be banned because the thought of someone publicly exposing me in my panties is a turn on.
>>
>>7296192
>did you ever find bugs bunny attractive when he put on a dress and pretended to be a girl bunny?
>no lmao
>me neither I was just asking
>Garth was talking about furries 20 years ago
And people wonder why furries and chasers exist
>>
>>7296318

And would it being banned enhance the taboo aspect of your fetish, or do you want to be prevented from transition?
>>
>>7296391
It was more for everyone else's protection.
>>
>>7296532

When I was in middle school I was aroused by the idea of someone pulling my pants and briefs down as I passed by the school flagpole to expose my dick. So I understand you, anon.
>>
>>7294171

This is my own theory of course, but I like to think Finkle was actually transgender the entire time and used their career failure as a platform for their midlife crisis/eventual transition.
>>
>>7297351
sure but still doesnt change teh fact she was a crazy bitch. 4 real i thot the same thing as u since after all if she was doing it jst to hide from the cops why would she try to rape ace ventura at the beginning of the movie? she was a agp faglord already, duh
>>
>>7297377

Indeed crazy. If only they could've forgotten about their obsession with Dan Marino, they could've just lived a semi normal life free from the past. But yeah there is no way somebody would even be able to pass that well as female and for that long if they weren't actually transgender.

Also, even though they were the antagonist of the film I still felt hella bad for them at the end.. being stripped naked and humiliated in front of all those people. Bleh. Doesn't sit right with me.
>>
>>7297409
yeah its because they were essentially humiliating a mentally ill person (she was obssesed with revenge in a super OCD psycho-killer way) and in turn the scene is enforcing the stigmatization put on trans by heteronormal by associating her being trans with the fact that she is also crazy.
>>
Do you guys see any way they could salvage the Ace Ventura franchise with a third movie? The whole thing is so controversial now that trans is finally being mainstreamed in the media. I think the only way they could get away with it is if they included a good trans character as Ace's love interest or something and explained away what happened in the first movie. Otherwise the LGBBQ lobby would never allow it nowadays.
>>
>>7294152
>Is Ace Ventura: Pet Detective Transphobic?
No t b h, by having the tranny played by an attractive woman it implied that full passing was the norm and plausible even for a pro football player, this is significantly better than most even modern media and if it were done in the context of an outspokenly PC drama film would be either hailed by the community as progressive as fuck, or chided for being an unrealistic fantasy.

That very joke in your screencap is even a repeat gag about how unquestionably feminine she is, where he has to keep going until he literally finds the cock to prove his theory because nothing else gives it away.

Suggesting that the men's disgust with being sexually assaulted by a stealth tranny is transphobic, is simply straightshaming and not at all reasonable, flip it to eg a dyke getting tricked by a straight man who pretends to be butch and only reveals his cock once in bed and you'll see exactly how ridiculous it is.
>>
Fuck censoring shit
>>
>>7294152
That scene seems more homophobic than transphobic imo
>>
MtF here

I actually like it because it humorously plays off fragile masculinity's fear of being perceived as even slightly homosexual.

Also, though I've never seen the movie, Einhorn is established as a criminal man just donning a disguise to trick the cops, he never identifies himself as trans or a woman.

Personally don't mind it. As a trans woman who is staunchly anti-homophobia I can still laugh at Ace (that's his name right?) causing himself unnecessary misery because of an accidental homosexual encounter, and technically no transphobia was committed here. While this scene brings up a classic homophobic/transphobic trope it's made clear that Ace is the butt of the joke, not the LGBT.
>>
>>7294152
Fuck off
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.