[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ellen winning the Medal of Fucking Freedom.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 14

File: 1479946115258.jpg (523KB, 1280x1608px) Image search: [Google]
1479946115258.jpg
523KB, 1280x1608px
What the fuck is this? WHY?!?
>>
File: dsgstd.gif (1MB, 350x198px) Image search: [Google]
dsgstd.gif
1MB, 350x198px
>>7284430
>Ellen DeGeneres couldn’t help getting choked up as she was honored by President Barack Obama at the White House Tuesday as one of 21 recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
>During his remarks honoring each of the recipients, Obama reminded those present about how groundbreaking DeGeneres’ decision to come out of the closet in 1997 had been.
She told the world she eats muff and she gets the Medal of Freedom?
>>
>>7284430
>Ellen goes to the Whote House to get a medal
>She chooses to wear that ugly fucking red plaid pantsuit.
>>
>>7284430
he didn't want to invite a gay man into the white house
>>
>>7284566
Ellen isn't the "first" gay to come out. Who gives a shit? She's been successful and is rich as shit and her life hasn't improved anyone else.

Why not pick a random fag off the street and give him a medal for being a fag too?
>>
File: Ajqp8Th.jpg (72KB, 590x599px) Image search: [Google]
Ajqp8Th.jpg
72KB, 590x599px
Completely token trying to piss off RNC people like Pence desu. Take no notice politicians are petty.
>>
>>7284430
hey Obama I'm cutting my tits off next month where's my national honor? or are you transphobe bigot? /s
>>
>>7284576
>and her life hasn't improved anyone else
Not true. She's taken random people to her show and gave them stuff like cars, vacations, and screentime. I mean it isn't much but it's more than what 99% of people have done.
>>
>>7284430
Should have been Tig. She's at least funny sometimes. Not often but enough to be funnier than Ellen
>>
>>7284604
>I mean it isn't much but it's more than what 99% of people have done.
She's a fucking narcissist that wants people to worship her as a "good person" but she's greedy as fuck. People do this shit in mega churches every week while racking in the cash.

She got a medal for eating pussy and telling everyone about it.
>>
>>7284621
How about someone who has devoted their life to something that benefits the world. A scientist. A community volunteer. A disease research charity philanthropist.

Ellen is just an ugly dyke with money.
>>
>>7284430
fuck you, Ellen is great
>>
>>7284644
Ellen Degenerate is the worst we gays have to offer.

She in no fucking way deserves this medal either.
>>
>>7284634
You're going to have to look for an award ceremony that isn't run by Democrats, then. Democrats don't actually. They just like putting on a show. Independent, third party, or non-American events actually award people who have accomplished something
>>
>>7284654
>the worst we gays have to offer
May I direct your attention to Frankie Grande.
>>
>>7284672
Even Bruce Vilanch is less disgusting than Ellen.
>>
>>7284465

Only relevant insult in the whole thread.
>>
File: 1101970414_400.jpg (36KB, 400x527px) Image search: [Google]
1101970414_400.jpg
36KB, 400x527px
>>7284430
>The Medal of Freedom is awarded for "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors".
>Ellen won this
Like she has done some good things for public LGBT awareness and advocacy, but have you SEEN her sitcom from the 90s or her talk show? They're not very good.
>>
>>7284802
>Yep, I'm gay
MEDAL OF FREEDOM
>>
>>7284812
That was still kind of a big deal for a public figure like her to say in 1997. I just think there must have been at least one other person ahead of Ellen in the list for "Deserves the Medal of Freedom"
>>
>>7284430
Obong just wants to watch ellen and her wife fuck
>>
>>7284828
>That was still kind of a big deal for a public figure like her to say in 1997.
No it wasn't.

There were plenty of out gays in 1997 for fucks sake. It was 1997, not 1597.
>>
>>7284830
he must have problems moving his bowels.
>>
>>7284802
Off-topic: The sitcom really suffered from her having too many punch lines and too much smugness in my opinion, came off as an ego trip.
>>
>>7284430
Ellen is getting the medal because her coming out helped increase the visibility of gay people among the general public, why is it so hard to understand?
>>
>>7285012
People seem to have delusions about how tolerant the 90s were. Not sure if it's rose-tinted glasses or underage.
>>
>>7285027
A 25 year old today would have been 9 in 2000.
Time speeding up is a bitch.
>>
>>7285041
???
>>
>>7285054
'Underage' means under 18, 21 or another legal age for doing something particular.
>>
File: ellen.jpg (327KB, 439x3127px) Image search: [Google]
ellen.jpg
327KB, 439x3127px
Have you seen Ellen without makeup?

>$345 Million dollars to her name
>looks like this

Why do alt-left women look so horrible? Hillary looks like a rapist without makeup on. Ellen does too.
>>
>>7284430
>>7284451
Can I get a Medal of Freedom for coming out as trans in Mississippi with Southern Baptist family?
>>
>>7285188
Old people don't look good without makeup, shocker.
>>
>>7284430
>What the fuck is this? WHY?!?
Just ignore it. This is almost as meaningless as Obongo being awarded the Nobel Peace prize.
>>
>>7285188
Maybe because they're old? It's not exactly as if Daddy Trump looks so good either
>>
>>7285235
No, because you coming out will hardly have any major impact.
>>
>>7285264

Those who take care of their skin do.

I've seen women in their 80s who've aged gracefully and look younger than both of them.
>>
>>7284850
Are you even old enough to remember that? It was a big deal at the time. Other people had come out but this was a person whose TV show was primarily aimed at straight people, and was already airing when she came out. This was before Will and Grace, there was never a show about gay people before this and herTV character came out when she did. Jerry Falwell called her 'Ellen Degenerate', lol.
>>
>>7284850
No shit sherlock, of course there were gays. The point is that we still weren't massively well received and in 1997 we'd only just passed the peak of the AIDS crisis. A public figure coming out as gay on prime time was a big deal, especially combined with the Oprah interview. The first gay kiss on American TV was only 6 years earlier, and the first time two men kissed on American TV was 2000. Protip: if you can't remember what the 90s were like, don't try and talk about what being gay was like back then.
I still feel this medal was a bit undeserved, but I'm now discovering that a whole bunch of these medals get given out every year, including this year to Margaret Hamilton (a fantastic computer scientist) so I'm less annoyed about the whole thing.
>>7284889
I'm glad someone else has seen that show. She was really unlikeable. Literally the only things I can remember about it is that she had a bookshop and was annoying. I don't even remember any of the other characters.
>>
>>7285352
>No shit sherlock, of course there were gays. The point is that we still weren't massively well received and in 1997 we'd only just passed the peak of the AIDS crisis. A public figure coming out as gay on prime time was a big deal, especially combined with the Oprah interview.
Fuck off, no it wasn't. Ellen did nothing by wafting her pussy breath over the American public.

She could have publicly shit her pants on purpose and impacted gay relations more positively than her bullshit publicity stunt.

Just like "Caitlyn" isn't brave or significant for being a tranny.
>>
Wow, you guys are a bunch of miserable cunts. People turn on their TVs and see Ellen and attribute this bubbly friendly character to the LGBT community (cause everyone knows Ellen is gay). Most people have never even talked to a gay person before. She's changed millions of people's perceptions of the LGBT community for the better. Good on her I say, well deserved.
>>
>>7285352
>She was really unlikeable
>was
She IS unlikable.
>>
>>7285352
I didn't like her show. I think I didn't mind it before she came out but after that every episode was about gayness and it got old. Homosexuality being tolerated was sort of a new concept at the time so when media addressed it it was very heavy handed and unsubtle. But she probably did a lot of good anyway.
>>
>>7284624
>She's a fucking narcissist that wants people to worship her as a "good person" but she's greedy as fuck

That doesn't disproves the fact that she has helped people, though. Not being 100% a good person doesn't automatically make you a 100% evil.

>She got a medal for eating pussy and telling everyone about it
Yeah, in a time were being anything but straight was still heavily frowned upon by society. People like her are the reason gay marriage is a thing in the US now. I agree that are others that also deserve that same medal and are not getting it, but that doesn't mean she doesn't deserve it.
>>
>>7285386
Ellen did not singlehandedly revolutionise life for LGBT people. But a (questionably) likeable prime time character being out was a big deal. Ellen being a lesbian was something that was unusual for TV in the 90s, there were relatively few sympathetic lgbt characters on American TV, and even fewer out public figures know to the American public at large.
How old were you in the 90s, anon?
>>
>>7285401
She sure makes lesbians look better than Rosie O'Donnell who is the other dyke talk show host people are familiar with.
>>
>>7285417
>But a (questionably) likeable prime time character being out was a big deal.
I'm tired of people questioning my age when gay actors and gay characters existed on TV way the fuck before Ellen queefed her business, and bland lesbian-flavored """comedy""" all over the American airwaves.
>>
File: soap.jpg (34KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
soap.jpg
34KB, 480x320px
>>7285417
Also, Soap mother fucker.
>>
>>7285433
What gay actors and characters are you talking about?
>>
>>7285423
I'd rather hang out with Rosie because Ellen sounds like a "bubbly" fake as cunt on poppers.
>>
>>7285455
Ones that YOU ARE TOO YOUNG TO KNOW ABOUT, you fucking idiot.

Ellen is a pioneer of her own bullshit, not gay rights or gay visibility.
>>
>>7285433
I'm talking about mainstream television and mainstream celebs, and specifically sympathetic portrayals of gay characters (rather than that confusing weirdness that was Billy Crystal on Soap, swinging between "I'm a crossdresser who likes to flirt with my step brother" to "Oh hey I knocked up a chick lol"). Things were nowhere near like they are now. It was a big deal and a big deal was made of it. I'm not saying Ellen ended homophobia, I'm saying that Ellen coming out was a significantly notable incident in the history of LGBT people in the public eye.
>>
>>7285459
Apparently she and Portia are really mean in real life. Although I cackled like a hag when that crackhead Lucian Piane was complaining he went up to Portia and was all "Oh hey we met at some party last year!" and Portia just deadpanned "Good for you."
>>
>>7285465
>Ones that YOU ARE TOO YOUNG TO KNOW ABOUT, you fucking idiot.

so you have nothing.
>>
>>7285465
Why don't you want to tell us your age anon?
>>
>>7285484
LucĂ­an Piane is a qt. Is he gay?
>>
>>7285465
It's a polite question, why not just tell me examples instead of be a dick? Most gay actors used to be closeted, gay characters used to be stereotypical comic relief and not main characters.
>>
>>7285465
Care to list a few mainstream public figures? Elton John springs to mind but he was dragged through the shit when he came out. Likewise everyone thought Liberace was straight (how? I don't know).
There's people who were famous in the 90s who have since come out, but that's not really the same.
>>
>>7285485
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_situation_comedies_with_LGBT_characters
try wikipedia. Here's "just sitcoms" for example.

Ellen is shit.
>>
File: Cx5l3NGVEAA4PD0.jpg (252KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Cx5l3NGVEAA4PD0.jpg
252KB, 900x1600px
>>7285497
Duh, he produces all of RuPaul's music and is a guest judge on drag race. Or he WAS but he came off of Seroquel and started posting loads of weird shit on Instagram and twitter about his foot and piss fetishes, chatting shit about other celebrities, accusing some people in the biz of ripping him off and/or groping and molesting him and now he's literally just shitposting about drinking bleach to cure your brain parasites.
twitter.com/RevoLucian
Also he dyed his hair and eyebrows blue.
>>
>>7285502
>>7285500
>>7285487
Does Ellen deserve a Medal of Freedom for being a lesbian?
>>
>>7285511
that's a nice list.

But how many of those were actually relevant to their shows, relevant public figures (as much as ellen) and how many of those were not just comic relief characters?
>>
>>7285521
Of course.
>>
>>7285535
>But how many of those were actually relevant to their shows, relevant public figures (as much as ellen)
>relevant
>ellen
Get the fuck of 4chan Ellen.
>>
>>7285511
Did you ever watch these shows? Most of the gay characters on these were mostly just comic relief, and it's also got British shows mixed in. The point that people are reiterating in this thread is that Ellen featured a POSITIVE portrayal of LGBT characters and it was a BIG DEAl. Everyone was talking about Ellen coming out. That's not something you're going to really get context for if you just google stuff, and you're also overlooking the special interview she did with Oprah where she talked very candidly about being a lesbian.
>>7285521
Not really. I still think there's plenty more deserving people who output consistently higher quality stuff. But in the grand scheme of things I can see the logic behind the choice.
>>
>>7285535
>"just" comic relief
>on a sitcom
Are you one of those trannies that hates happiness?
>>
>>7285511
I see flamboyant campy comic relief stereotypes, drag queens, BBC shows (those don't count, "Britain is a fag country" as Archie Bunker put it).

How many headlined their own show, which was popular with straights, and came out along with their character in the middle of it?
>>
>>7285571
>Ellen featured a POSITIVE portrayal of LGBT characters
lol, HOW?
Also,
>Oprah
Who gives a shit?
>>
>>7285580
It's the difference between a gay character popping up solely to make jokes about being a poof, and being the main character.
>>
>>7285520
I take back the qt thing, I just looked at his IG and he looks like shit now t b h, he also seems pretty """special""" now.
>>
>>7285571
>But in the grand scheme of things I can see the logic behind the choice.
How about Obama and his ridiculous Nobel Peace Prize? I think Obama was just lonely in his blatantly undeserved medal. He wanted a friend.
>>
>>7285584
>I see flamboyant campy comic relief stereotypes, drag queens, BBC shows (those don't count, "Britain is a fag country" as Archie Bunker put it).
>I see funny characters on sitcom
>They should be miserable and serious like trannies like MEEEE!
>>
>>7284430
>dresses like a 60 year old jewish pedo
well good for her i guess

where's oprah btw?
>>
>>7285580
The difference is like Disco Stu on the Simpsons vs Marge on the Simpsons. One is a minor character who's only brought in to be laughed at, basically just wacky set dressing. The other is a character who can be the butt of jokes, but also has storylines and sometimes even serious moments. One's comic relief, one's a sympathetic character.
Most of the gay people on TV back then were just the amusingly queeny gay who didn't have much of a role beyond being amusingly queeny. Contrast this with Will and Grace, which started airing the year after Ellen came out and the producers credit Ellen's coming out as helping them get on the air, which is a sitcom that features queeny gays being amusingly queeny, but they also have plotlines, character development and sympathetic moments.
>>
>>7285589
Because Ellen was a main character and had plotlines that showed her as sympathetic.
>Who gives a shit about Oprah?
You really don't remember the 90s, do you? She was a big deal back then.
>>
>>7285599
Oh so you're a walking stereotype and that's why you like fictional gays to be equally grotesque parodies of homosexuals.
>>
File: image.jpg (431KB, 1297x1230px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
431KB, 1297x1230px
thanks obama
>>
>>7285610
Then give the fucking Medal to Harvey Fierstein for fuck's sake.
>>
>>7285614
>She was a big deal back then.
Yeah to women. You sound like a woman the way you're so far up Oprah's and Ellen's ass.
>>7285622
>Oh so you're a walking stereotype
that' my line tranny.
>>
>>7285599
We're talking about American TV. Most British shows didn't get aired over here. "Are You Being Served?" wasn't broadcast until the late 80s and the gay guy in that was effectively a one dimensional joke, and the shows producers banged on about the fact his sexuality was never mentioned and he was just supposed to be a dweeby camp mother's boy.
I'm also not a tranny.
>>7285596
Yeah he's really fucked up now. He did some really weird livestreams where he played the piano and ranted about being crazy while his mother choked back tears.
>>
>>7285645
>I'm also not a tranny.
yeah, you're a disgusting Ellen and Oprah worshiping muff diver.
>>
>>7285637
Why do you keep calling people trannies, it has nothing to do with the subject matter (I'm not btw, neither is Ellen). I don't even like Ellen especially, I just acknowledge that her coming out had a big impact on media and public portrayals of gays. You seem to have some weird grudge.
>>
>>7285637
Oprah was one of the most watched talk shows. Her interview with Ellen made national news. It was a big deal.
You obviously weren't around for it or were really young when it happened. Ellen coming out was something that had an impact. People talked about it. I'm not saying that this means she should win the award, I'm saying that Ellen was noticed by mainstream America and her coming out did have an impact. If you were still in diapers back then you're not going to understand it by just googling stuff and trying to apply how we feel about those celebrities now to how they were perceived back then.
>>
>>7285672
>If you were still in diapers back then you're not going to understand it by just googling stuff and trying to apply how we feel about those celebrities now to how they were perceived back then.
>in 1997
>When gays were kept in camps until Ellen and Oprah saved them!
>>
>>7285597
now that was bullshit. Even ellen, as little as she did, did a lot more than obama did.
>>
File: sz_-1bhnxu2kbht98kgbwg.png (23KB, 514x304px) Image search: [Google]
sz_-1bhnxu2kbht98kgbwg.png
23KB, 514x304px
>>7285735
What are you talking about? What camps? I'm talking about mainstream perceptions of gay people.
>>
>>7285772
>women
>having a sense of humor
>>
>>7285735
They weren't in camps but most people hated them or at least thought they were immoral and spread disease.
>>
>>7285798
I'm not a woman, I'm a fag. You're throwing a tantrum because your original argument, that nobody cared or noticed when Ellen came out, isn't true and unlike most pointless arguments on 4chan you can't just post a couple of wikipedia articles and be done with it so you're resorting to saying retarded shit.
>>
>>7285735
I doubt your ass would've come out in 1997.
>>
>>7285811
>They weren't in camps but most people hated them or at least thought they were immoral and spread disease.
implying that isn't factually correct
>>
>>7286006
Why are you here if you think that?
>>
>>7285864
Their ass was probably in diaperschool in 1997
>>
File: 1467964270901.jpg (34KB, 594x425px) Image search: [Google]
1467964270901.jpg
34KB, 594x425px
>>7285188
>alt-left
>>
File: 1391018538734.jpg (217KB, 500x482px) Image search: [Google]
1391018538734.jpg
217KB, 500x482px
>>7284430

She is such an ugly little rat human
>>
>>7289605
t. Hon
>>
>>7284595
Awe, poor victim... toughen up Faggot.
>>
>>7285188
>$345 million dollars

capitalism was a mistake.
>>
>>7284828
No it wasn't. Her show was on the chopping block for a long time and she knew she had nothing to lose. She went from being a hack on a bad sitcom to A TRAILBLAZING HERO ON A GROUNDBREAKING SITCOM!!!
>>
>>7285352
You don't remember the other characters because she changed casts every season. It was a shit show that was constantly getting retooled. Does nobody remember when it was called These Friends of Mine. But fuck those actors who lost their jobs because Ellen was the important one. She was GAY!
>>
In all seriousness, I wonder how many of you are actually /lgbt/ and how many of you are just crossposters from /pol/.
>>
>>7296332
>>7296341

Shut the fuck up, if it was up to people like you we wouldn't have any rights.
>>
>>7284430
handing out medals to privileged whites on thanksgiving while natives being invaded by a pipeline company. thanks, obama
>>
>>7284802
Y'know... looking back on this, she seems like a super-obvious dyke. People must've realized already?
>>
>>7285188
the fuck is the alt-left?
>>
>>7299814
Something that Ellen Degenerate is definitely not.
>>
>>7299814

If there was such a thing, it would be, like, Stalinists. Not fucking Ellen
>>
>>7284430
Rob Motherfucking Halford come out just a year later and no one gives a shit.
>>
>>7299914
But Stalinism has many parallels with Nazism, because Stalin might not have been as racist as Hitler, but he was still xenophobic, racist, homophobic, and basically hated every group that the modern left exalts as oppressed.

Seriously, at times it seems as if there has never been any real distinction between left and right, and that these two terms are meaningless.
>>
>>7296332
>>7296341
nobody is saying her show was good. We're just saying that her coming out was a big deal that helped to put lgbt people on the spotlight in a positive way.

It's ok if you hate ellen, I don't personally like her either, but I'm not going to pretend that things that happened, didn't.
>>
>>7299657
Not really. Fashion was kinda weird in the 90s.

Lots of women had short hair
>>
>>7300219
Yes, because people didn't know gays existed before Ellen came along. Especially since not one but two of her shows following her coming out were cancelled . One didn't even last a season. They finally gave her a talk show where guests just come on and advertise their latest shit and for all this, she deserved the medal of freedom.
When people bring up "creating awareness" as an accomplishment, it means they didn't do anything else.

Fuck, I knew she was gay long before she came out and didn't give too shits either way, but I also knew it was just a ploy to stay in the limelight once she started talking about it nonstop. I started to see being gay as an attention whore thing rather than a sexual preference one people like her started blathering about it nonstop. Or did we all forget the Anne Heche fiasco
>>
>>7284430
>What the fuck is this? WHY?!?
PR.
>>
>>7285188
>old people are ugly

Truly a ground breaking discovery
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.