[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is "hermaphrodite" offensive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1468331365428.jpg (89KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1468331365428.jpg
89KB, 960x960px
I just watched someone get angry over someone else using the word "hermaphrodite". Is this an offensive word?
>>
>>7148434
There are a lot of negative connotations that go with it. Personally I don't find it offensive, but those negative connotations make me leery of using it.
>>
>>7148434
>implying true hermaphrodites exists
why would i be offended by something that doesn't exist
>>
It certainly has a bad feel to it, it has a history of being used as an insult, but I guess it kinda went out of use after 90s, most people over 20 would feel insulted if you called them a hermaphordite even if they're actually intersex

Another issue is it's a medical term that has its own very specific meaning, but is completely misused by regular people, I think words like that should stay in the medical context
>>
got called a herm once, or rather asked if I was one, by my manager

as a tranny I didn't know how to feel. was asking her for emergency period stuff (mones make the period irregular), she asked me if I really needed one

what shocked me most was that she put actual thought into my junk and came to the conclusion I must have had both
>>
>>7148467
>negative connotations
What are those?

All I can think of is that using "hermaphrodite" for a human is uneducated and incorrect.

>>7148478
>it has a history of being used as an insult, but I guess it kinda went out of use after 90s
Really? What kind of lame bully goes around calling people "you fucking hermaphrodite?"
>>
>>7148434
Eh, it's like retard. A completely reasonable use that gets misused to be offensive.
Retarded people actually exist, but kids call everything they don't like retarded.
>>
>>7148513
Biggest and foremost is that we are the devil's spawn and only can be evil. Also that we are sexually promiscuous.
>>
>>7148606
Hermaphrodite is from greek mythology, though.
>>
>>7148624
>Hermaphrodite
Doesn't stop christians from demonizing them.
>>
It's just inaccurate, hermpahrodite is having both males and female reproductive organs like in some fish.
Humans are never hermaphrodites, intersex is just a sex development disorder
>>
>>7148809
There are a few hermaphrodites with both sets of genitals. They are rare as in likely less than 100 alive today. It's something they often keep secret because of the high rates of kidnapping.

Medically a true hermaphrodite only needs to have both ovarian, and testicular tissues. Those aren't so rare. Due to hormones, only one type of tissue is active at a time, but it is possible for changes is hormone levels to change which one is active. This means a person who is a true hermaphrodite will only produce eggs or sperm at one time, not both. Also the spermatic ducts will keep the sperm from the eggs if there was a rapid switch over from egg to sperm production.

Both are under the intersex label.
>>
>>7149039
Show me a single document case of a human producing gametes without a regularly functioning reproductive system established.

Everything I know about reproductive development shows that either the mullerin or wolffian ducts regress after pre-natal hormones bind to the undifferentiated tissues. It makes no sense for a single duct to develop sufficiently to produce gametes without completely comprising the other. You're either sex-differentiated or you're not, can't be both
>>
>>7148434
People get offended over everything so technically reality can be considered offensive.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.