[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lesbians have it easier than gay men.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Logo_ncod_lg.gif (11KB, 546x216px) Image search: [Google]
Logo_ncod_lg.gif
11KB, 546x216px
Has anyone thought about this? With everybody celebrating "coming out day" and shit saying that we should be who we are and all, this is great, but I think that it's easier said by a lesbian than a gay man. Here's my reasoning.

I believe that straight male sexuality is such that (at least according to convention) the male is dominant. He is the one who makes the decisions in and out of bed. Straight female sexuality is the opposite of this (again, at least according to convention). When a woman declares she is a lesbian she is declaring that she likes to take a more male role (some may disagree with this but I believe that this is at least the common view on it), but when a man declares he is gay he is declaring that he likes to take the female role. I think that declaring that you like the female role as a male is more deprecating to your "social status" than it is to declare you like the male role as a female.

Of course this ignores men who are tops and ignores that whole power-play relationship that straight and gay sex both have. But I want to focus on what society thinks of gay and lesbian people, not how they really are, because I think that this is what really contributes to what is more difficult.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>7044922
Who cares who has it easier. This isn't the oppression olympics.

If you're serious about discussing stuff like this I request you return to tumblr.
>>
>>7044927
Never been on tumblr.

I want to discuss this because I constantly see lesbians saying, "Be yourself! When I came out my life got so much better!" But I have my doubts that this is as true for gay men as it is for lesbians.
>>
>>7044934
While I would agree lesbians have it easier I do think coming out makes life easier. It helps filter out people that you think care about you but don't and takes away the stress of someone finding out you're gay
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (39KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
39KB, 480x360px
Miley Cirus cummed out as transsexual.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/miley-cyrus-opens-identifying-pansexual/story?id=42734994
>>
>>7044922
only because powerful groups like straight men are more likely to lash out violently at gay men than lesbians.
>>
>>7044922
If you were a feminist this would be proof that women have lower status, and therefore women have it worse. If you're slightly retarded as well as an intersectional feminist you'd then argue that lesbians have to deal with being women AND homosexual and is therefore mega-opressed.

Personally I think men have less freedom in how they express themselves. Crossdressing used to be a nono for women as well, but I guess feminism succeeded in their mission in giving women the freedom to dress however they want. You'd think that feminist would now go on to do the same for men but instead they claim as you do, OP, that the discrepancy is because women are valued less so the patriarchy is only stronger than ever before. I'm just speculating here, but I think the discrepancy was caused by feminism and isn't a symptom of the increasingly deeper layers of patriarchy.
>>
yeah lesbians are seen differently because female sexuality is completely different, and men and women are completely different.

I don't know about who has it better or worse but of course the general public is going to have completely different ways of looking at a lesbian vs a gay man. You're overthinking this.

just think about how people treat men and how men treat each other vs women, instead of overthinking the "power dynamics". Then you'll get your answer
>>
>>7045003

She identifies as an attention whore.
>>
>>7044922
lesbians are only more accepted if they're hot purely because it's a sexual desire for men, and most straight men would love to fuck two hot "lesbians"

that is literally it
>>
Lesbians have it worse imo. I'm a lesbian and shortly after coming out I was "corrective" raped by someone i thought was my friend. I know that gay men sometimes suffer violence too, but i don't think its very common in 2016. And then you have straight girls playing with your emotions, people thinking your sexuality is invalid, and being a fetish for straight men. I'm sorry for whatever hardships gay men suffer, but i think lesbians have it worse.
>>
>>7045003
Pansexuality isn't the same thing as transsexuality.

>>7045334
> You'd think that feminist would now go on to do the same for men but instead they claim as you do
Feminism was always intended to focus on women's issues, they don't see it as their job to fix male issues. They expected a similar movement to rise up to fight for men's freedom of expression, but unfortunately that didn't really happen: the "men's rights" movement ended up becoming dominated by people who blamed their problems on feminism, and actually view male gender-nonconformity and proof of a "war on masculinity". So rather than doing for men what feminism did for women, they've basically ended up just trying to undo feminism.

>>7045558
>attention whore
That phrase is well-known as a dogwhistle used by misogynists to complain that a woman is doing something that doesn't satisfy their penises.
>>
>>7047193
Men are much more likely to be the victims of violence than women, regardless if they are gay or straight.
>>
File: Laughs-Microscopically.jpg (60KB, 724x620px) Image search: [Google]
Laughs-Microscopically.jpg
60KB, 724x620px
>>7047193
>but i don't think its very common in 2016.
>>
So one of the big problems is that we see men as tools. A mans worth is based on what he can provide for women. Gay men don't care about women so they are treated as broken tools (ei. they are thrown away)

Women on the other hand are objects. Society is built around protecting our objects. Being a lesbian doesn't take away from the fact that women are a protected class.

So because women's value is intrinsic while men's value comes from what they can provide for women, gay men have a much harder time.
>>
>>7047193
Gay men are still the group most likely to be targeted by a hate crime. This is not per-capita, more hate crimes are committed against gay men than any other group.
>>
>>7048414
>A mans worth is based on what he can provide for women. Gay men don't care about women so they are treated as broken tools (ei. they are thrown away)
What is this based on exactly? I understand that men are viewed as expendable, but the whole notion that this revolves around women doesn't seem supported by evidence.Gay men aren't hated because they don't provide for women, they're hated because the violate acceptable norms.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.