[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't there a cure?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_5657.gif (688KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5657.gif
688KB, 500x281px
Seriously, you think some scientist somewhere would've created a cure to transgenderism by now. There's anti-depressants, why aren't there anti-dysphoria pills? A cure that didn't require transitioning would be groundbreaking, and i'd take it in a second just to be a normal dude
>>
>>7024225
There probably are, kind of in the same vein as that some anti-depressants just turn you into a full robot. A robot probably doesn't feel dysphoria, because a robot doesn't feel anything.

Maybe you could ask your doctor for those. I think most people reject them because they don't want to become robots.
>>
>>7024225
>Anti-depressants
M8, they just shift your issues elsewhere but don't solve them.
I'm bipolar 2, the meds available for me are far less effective than HRT is for dysphoria.

Psychotropic drugs are a fucking meme unless you have something minor like anxiety.
>>
There is, but it's still very taboo at the moment. It's called suicide.
>>
It's not really something that's tangible. Whereas things like schizophrenia and depression can be treated with meds because we know what the brain mechanisms are, we can't treat trans people similarly to how we can't treat gay people. It's just something the brain does that we have no understanding of, and it's unlikely we ever will since it isn't just a chemical imbalance. Lgbt people don't choose to be lgbt, and a sane person would rather not have to deal with our struggles and gladly opt to take a pill to just stop it.
>>
>>7024225
It can't be cured because it's an idea, not a disease. You can no more cure wanting to be a girl than you can cure a favorite color or political ideology.

Maybe if the stigma around it ends there will one day be therapy to help you learn not to hate being male or medical science will be able to turn you into an actual woman.
>>
>>7024238
This. Taking this kind of pill will change how you think.
Some do this more than others but in the end transition is just taking pills to change how you look on top of changing how you think.
If you need that, come to france, it's piss easy to get prescribed pills, but be sure it's what you want.
I've had mental problems ofr a long time and always refused to take pills even when someone bought them for me. Other people with problems I know (because damaged goods sticks together) took them. I'm not saying it necessarly makes you into an android but it does whange who you are at varying degrees.
>>
>>7024298
>I'm not saying it necessarly makes you into an android but it does whange who you are at varying degrees.
How did it affect them?
>>
>>7024304
Depends on the person, their problems and the kind of pill they took.
I've had a girl chronically depressed that wouldn't leave her room for weeks at a time and would collapse into tears at a moment's notice become able to go out every day. But she doesn't talk much and smiles like she's about to cry.
There's also a guy who was closeted gay who took pills for some years and rarely showed up at school ever. When I entered uni, he stopped taking them and came out of the closet, now he looks like he's happy (but I've lost touch so that's from his social media) but goes to pubs/bars to drink a bit often to my judgement.
>>
>>7024325
>But she doesn't talk much and smiles like she's about to cry.
But was she like that before?

>now he looks like he's happy (but I've lost touch so that's from his social media)
So they made him less happy? What the fuck kind of medicine does the opposite of what it's supposed to?

>but goes to pubs/bars to drink a bit often to my judgement.
So do lots of people, to be fair. And maybe he would anyway.
>>
>>7024248

>Whereas things like schizophrenia and depression can be treated with meds

Depends on the degree. I have an aunt with schizophrenia and the drugs don't make her normal, she talks to herself whenever she's not talking to someone else. It just makes her symptoms more mild from what I've heard. I don't know for sure since I didn't know her before she started taking medication.

>>7024298

>France gatekeeps if you want to get transition drugs
>they just hand you psychoactive drugs for anything else

Gotta love that LGBT-phobic social conservatism. :^)
>>
>>7024330
the first one was quite cheery before she got depressed. When she was depressed she was just a sobbing mess good for nothing
The guy is now going to uni and had a boyfriend. And when I say he goes out to drink often, I mean I'm kinda worried about him using alcohol as a social crutch. Not saying that about going drinking twice a week.

>>7024353
That's the french medical system for you. I suspect it's because our med studies are a fucking meat grinder for souls and bodies (glad I got out of that). Most med students are on prescription something and on web-order nootropics.
Quite glad, LGB are accepted as they are because else I'd probably be taking the pills like everyone else.
>>
>>7024387
Why did the first one get depressed?
>>
Same reason mind control pills don't exist. It's pretty simple to correct the way the brain is working if something is wrong with it like depression, ADD, schizophrenia, etc. Transgenderism is a complex issue partially related to brain chemistry, but also has to do with personality, lifestyle, sexuality, and self image.Current technology can't understand why you are the way you are in those aspects, let alone how to change it.
>>
>>7024397
>It's pretty simple to correct the way the brain is working if something is wrong with it like depression, ADD, schizophrenia, etc.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

right.
>>
>>7024391
Oh boy so many different factors. Plus depressed people don't always tell other people even their friends.
What I got to her before she got on the pills was that she felt worthless and that she was backstabbing averyone that loved her just by existing. Like I said, she was mostly just a sobbing mess so we didn't get much interaction.
And before you tell me I'm a shitty friend for not inquiring further, my friendship circle is so full of damaged goods at one point you have to know where to just let be or else you just mop up more sorrow into yourself.
>>
>>7024225
Psychiatry is still in its early days

Antidepressants are pretty shit, same with antipsychotics and everything else currently on the market

There's not much incentive for researching gender dysphoria cures in the first place, we have no clue how it actually works and its hard to research, most trans issues are easily solved with increasing social acceptance and earlier transition, the treatment itself has few side effects and pretty good success rates, plus it's still pretty rare and we have no clue how it works

Meanwhile depression affects much more people, treatment sucks, if you're resistant you're completely fucked no matter how supportive your environment is, same for most other major mental diseases, but on the flipside we have quite a lot of knowledge about it already and it's much easier to gather more

It's pretty obvious where money should go to
It's similar with autism, they're still researching cures, but most of the effort goes to bigger social awareness and early interventions for kids, not much going for the currently adult generation of chris chans who are fucked because they were born 20 years too early, we have no clue what to do with them so we focus on preventing future generations of fuck ups instead
>>
>>7024413
I should add that better depression treatments could also benefit other issues gender dysphoria (which is often comorbid with depression and they tend to feed each other), another reason to focus most research there

>we have no clue how it actually works and its hard to research, plus it's still pretty rare and we have no clue how it works
i need better adhd treatments too
>>
File: 1475198722679.png (736KB, 586x621px) Image search: [Google]
1475198722679.png
736KB, 586x621px
I'd get a lobotomy if I could. I look like a man and have nothing to gain from mutilating myself with hormones and surgery.

Maybe lobotomies should be brought back as a treatment option.
>>
>>7024476

you could give yourself one with a letter opener up the nose.
but don't.

therapy will benefit you (and your family who would have to take care of you) better.
>>
>>7024542
Therapists only hock hormonal and surgical genital mutilation.
>>
>>7024553

if you believe this then i doubt you have actually been to one.

most therapist are trained to give their patients skills that they can use to improve their lives.

hacks will prescribe pills and surgery because it is easier for them than talking to you about your problems and because they receive kick-backs from pharma companies and surgeons.

a good therapist will talk with you about your problems and teach you ways of solving them.

protip: if dysphoria is your problem then you need to find ways to accept yourself. if that means taking hormones then do that. but often it just means learning to ignore what other people think and loving yourself as you are, be it intersex or whatever.
>>
>>7024602
Go back to tumblr you immense retard.
>>
>>7024629
Not an argument
>>
Bruh, psychology and psychopharmacology are incredibly nascent fields compared to other sciences.

Even in the 21st century, psychiatrists and other mental health professionals have little more than an educated guess when it comes to prescribing treatments and medication. Most people on meds will tell you it took years of hopping from pill to different pill before finding something that worked for them.
>>
>>7024225
The question of a "cure" is such an interesting one to me...

To take a cure would be to erase the suffering caused by dysphoria... but also to deny the desire of which dysphoria is born.

It's kind of like the question of whether you'd be happy living in a simulation, or I mean, choosing to, when it would be blissful and you don't know it's a simulation. But you must consciously make the decision to enter the simulation knowing full well that it isn't real.

Personally, I almost think I'd take my semi-hon transition over an actual cure.
>>
>>7024225
I asked my therapist this

She said being trans isn't a sickness
Because it has no cure.

So cancer isn't a sickness either since it has no cure I guess
>>
>>7024629
? they have good arguments though, most of everything that's in the post is true. Good therapists will just talk to you and help you understand what you really want.
>>
>>7024225
There already is, it's called pimozide. It's only that (((they))) won't allow it to be used because it doesn't fit the homosexual agenda.
>>
>>7025122
I feel very much the same. The idea of dysphoria having a cure makes me kinda dysphoric because it means theres an excuse to prevent me from transitioning.
>>
>>7027051
Very common (>10% frequency) side effects include:[4][5][6][7]

Akinesia
Dizziness
Somnolence
Hyperhidrosis
Nocturia
Speech disorder
Dry mouth
Constipation

Yeah no, even if what you said wasn't based on literally one sample, I'd stick to HRT.
>>
File: Bugs.jpg (218KB, 1482x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Bugs.jpg
218KB, 1482x1000px
>>7024225
no one cares about crazies
and the few trutrans are free to transition as they please

It all makes sense
>>
File: 14 (2).png (1MB, 887x1019px) Image search: [Google]
14 (2).png
1MB, 887x1019px
>>7027167
I for one encourage any situation where people willingly self-sterilize. Theres too many fucking people on this planet.
>>
>>7024225

Biology is a bitch and ultimately you cannot change how you were born. And that tends to matter when it comes to certain parts of biology, such as diseases. Some viruses prefer females over males, some cancers are more prevalent in males than females etc. And no amount of identity politics can change that cruel and hard fact.

But when it comes to your overall quality of life and your sexuality, as long as you're not hurting anybody, theres nothing really stopping you from doing what you want. Live your life for yourself. If you enjoy wearing dresses and trying to look more feminine, then go for it full-stop, stop giving a shit what others might think. Life is too short for that.

If its the defective looks you're worried about, looking model-level good actually takes effort. The sexy women in ads, all the ladyboys who seemed to have transitioned well, they all look like shit in the morning when they go take a dump. Prepping for those photos can take hours, prepping your body to look good on those photos can take countless of hours in the gym or hormone treatment. It requires dedication and effort more than anything. Unless you're morbidly obese, look like Danny Devito or have your body burned in some freaky accident, you can make yourself look pretty and sexy once you just make a proper hobby or a life-style out of it.
>>
>>7027053
The only known cure for dysphoria is transition. Unfortunately, like cancer cures, it doesn't work for all. At least if you do transition, and get help the chances of dying from it are greatly decreased.
>>
>>7024225

There is a treatment for dysphoria you duffer, it's called HRT.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.