[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many genders are there?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

How many genders are there?
>>

1. Male
2. Female
3. Snowflake
>>
File: 1469982544543.jpg (123KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1469982544543.jpg
123KB, 640x1136px
>>7016759
2 sexes
0 genders

the definitive answer
>>
Last 2 digits of my post determine it
>>
>>7016759
There is simultaneously none and an infinite amount

Maybe it sounds ridiculous, but if you apply some thought, it really isn't hard to reconcile the notions that gender is socially constructed and ALSO that it is practically real. But how gender is constituted will be different from country to country, city to city, and life to life, even.
>>
>>7017178
What the fuck is even gender for you?
All of the so called gender roles come from biological traits of the two biological sexes. What does gender even do? What would it determine for you?
>>
>>7016764
>3. Snowflake
What is a hijra, idiot?

Do you think a "man" in urban USA is the same as "man" in a tropical jungle tribe? Gender = gender role, and so there is either 0 or thousands depending on how you look at it. It's a purely cognitive thing.
>>
>>7017191
Gender is what theorists would refer to as a "social fact." There are obviously spectra of gender, and there is no one definition of any gender. And yet it would be impossible to deny that there are differences in the known roles of "man" and "woman." Biological sex is obviously different, it's just that in almost all cases, gender is correlated with biological sex.

Gender is a set of semiotic relations and social expectations, basically. Whether you, an American male, choose to live out traditional gender roles, enact your own version of androgynous genuinity, or live as the gender opposite your sex, you have some notion of what fits into the category of "man" and "woman" even if those notions vary somewhat from one individual to the next.

Your questions of "what does it do?" and "what does it determine?" are very strange ones. If you mean what does MY gender do or something like that, that is a question that doesn't have a ton of meaning, and probably neither will any answer that can be given, beyond purely subjective meaning. I could detail to you how MY personal views on gender have impacted my life... but I'll spare you the boredom. What the CONCEPT of gender does is give us a way of speaking of these shared social expectations, so that we might examine how notions of expected dimorphic behavior map onto physical traits, but also how they are similar or different from one individual to the next.

As individuals, we are born into a gendered world. We can all view gender as we choose to (though choice is an even more esoteric digression), but we can not escape being socialized with some variety of gender roles. To study gender and to study gender roles are practically one and the same.

If you disagree with my perspective, please do not lobby some stupid insult (and /pol/, do you not apply), but whether you agree or disagree or are indifferent, feel free to ask questions or raise (relevant) objections, and I would be glad to discuss it civilly.
>>
>>7017235
>Biological sex is obviously different
>it's just that in almost all cases, gender is correlated with biological sex.
Used for the same, expresses the same thing, caused by the same thing, but totally not the same. Sure thing!
>Gender is a set of semiotic relations and social expectations, basically.
>Whether you, an American male, choose to live out traditional gender roles, enact your own version of androgynous genuinity, or live as the gender opposite your sex, you have some notion of what fits into the category of "man" and "woman" even if those notions vary somewhat from one individual to the next.
You realize that this is determined by biology and transsexualism is a disorder in it, right? I mean, males have more testosterone, more muscle growth, are more daring in general, these are alll biological and set the main frame of these gender roles.
And the what does it do? question was about what else is there to gender than bio sex? I still see no difference in the two.
All your roles are made up by local natural environment and bio sex. Prove this sentence wrong.
>>
>>7016759
enough
>>
>>7017358
>All your roles are made up by local natural environment and bio sex. Prove this sentence wrong
Have you ever heard of the "nature vs nurture" discussion? I could explain to you how nurture is a very fucking important part of it, but honestly you'd have to pay me for my efforts.

Obviously an evolutionary psychologist is going to put a great deal more emphasis on the importance of biological traits in personality formation, but it's simple comparative analysis that reveals that construction of social categories and gender roles sees HUGE variation the world over. Sure, it's usually the men who hunt in any given society, but considering other aspects of traditional societies, there is as much variation as there are characters in this thread. And that's looking only between groups, not even within them. You're claiming that gender roles basically don't even exist? But that argument is like claiming that natural selection doesn't exist. It's an argument that to me seems entirely indefensible due to the terms being defined BY observed reality. Sex is a biological trait, gender is a set of cultural attitudes surrounding sexual dismorphism. Obviously the two are very closely related, I don't think I ever denied that. But it's ridiculous to claim that gender roles aren't real, and accordingly, saying we should do away with the concept of gender or whatever you're getting at, would just serve to make our language less precise and effective. I'm afraid I just don't really get your point at all.

Like "local natural environment?" Do you mean like the fucking vegetation? Wild critters in the region? Man is a creature that is pretty separate from nature, tbqhon. If hormone levels were responsible for the development of gender roles, would we not then see very similar expressions of gender throughout all societies?

To say that history, popular culture, parenting, social pressures, etc do not effect how individuals, and thus societies, view gender is just pretty dumb.
>>
honestly my flowchart is this

>>does he have a penis or does it have no penis
>>is he hot??
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (35KB, 336x188px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
35KB, 336x188px
>>7016759
Two.
Fucking.
Sexes/Gender.
>>
>>7016759
>>
>>7016759
Two
Male and female
>>
>>7020822
I'd fuck her sexgender
>>
File: th08UJG77U.jpg (10KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
th08UJG77U.jpg
10KB, 300x225px
>>7016766
checked
>>
>>7020822
What about people who are a mix of both sexes/genders? Intersex people for instance, or trans people who look like one gender/sex but have the chromosomes of the other.
>>
>>7020822
>has shitty opinions
>but is a tranny
"Look guys, it's totally legit because she's trans"

I'm guessing she doesn't actually make any good arguments beyond strawman and dumb feefee things
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.