[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lgbt/ think of Sacha Baron Cohen?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: sacha[1].jpg (2MB, 2000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
sacha[1].jpg
2MB, 2000x1334px
What does /lgbt/ think of Sacha Baron Cohen?
>>
:>
>>
>>6830855
I think he's very nice~
>>
>>6830855
Jews belong in the oven!
>>
>>6831665

O rly?

>>6831670

:(
>>
File: 138892386770.jpg (91KB, 540x632px) Image search: [Google]
138892386770.jpg
91KB, 540x632px
There's a lot of gay panic in his comedy. Like a lot.
>>
>>6835370
expound
>>
>>6835370
>gay panic

wut
>>
>>6830855
he's alright, just a bit of a shock-schlock merchant
Simon on the other hand is a total cunt who completely fucked things up for the understanding and care of autistic people
>>
>>6830855
He's a jew
>>
Borat and Brüno were fucking brilliant.

His other works range from meh, to crap.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 280x390px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 280x390px
>>6835483
>>6835909
Maybe the way I'm using the term isn't as common as I thought.
What I meant by "gay panic" is that the joke depends on the audience finding gay behavior, feminine behavior in men, male nudity, any remotely intimate contact between men, etc. humorously embarassing and shameful.
For Cohen, this often overlaps with jokes made at the expense of homophobia -- you could say he swings both ways.
Borat, for example, manages to do both at the same time with his descriptions of gay men going "Bang bang bang in the anoose." It can either be funny because you agree that gay sex is gross or because you consider homophobia the sentiment of a certifiably ignorant third worlder.
The trouble is that, though it can be argued it's not the only intent or the main intent, Cohen's comedy is very compatible with sincere homophobia.
It's hard for me to admire comedy that's so capable of rewarding these harmful attitudes.
>>
>>6837159
The entire point of Bruno was to expose people's innate homophobia. Basically people that say they're not homophobic really truly are. He just did it in a comedic fashion.
>>
>>6837847
Interesting take, but I would be more persuaded if Brüno didn't reinforce and exaggerate a lot of negative gay stereotypes.
Brüno doesn't really doesn't really challenge the idea that gay people are more than those misconceptions, for Cohen's victims or his audience.
It's possible to read Brüno as a deserved comeuppance against prejudice, or as Cohen donning the guise of a gay boogeyman any reasonable person would be revolted by.
>>
>>6837950
People ultimately should not give a fuck how other people act. He purposefully exaggerated it to show that we really do not live in a free society and that people's behaviour can and will be oppressed if they go against the norm
>>
>>6836860
I felt like Brüno could have been better executed. Borat was comedy gold, though.

>inb4 well u jsut think it homophoboc cuz ur geh
>>I'm a member of both minority groups that are made fun of - Borat made fun of the intrinsic qualities of colliding cultures, while Brüno just made fun of stereotypes, so I had more of an "it's funny because it's true and also my extended family" reaction to Borat.
>>
File: 1470972788370.jpg (50KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
1470972788370.jpg
50KB, 425x425px
I don't necessarily know all his characters, but the ones I know are Ali G, Borat and Brüno. The ones of most interest for this thread are the B boys.

The point in Borat is that he comes from a different culture with less restrictions on what one can say. What is branded "hate speech" in the Western world is okay in Kazakhstan.Consider the rodeo scene in the film. He talks with this Texan guy about gay rights and stuff, and this guy says things in the US should be like Borat claims they are back home. Similarly, he just goes to a random bar to sing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJjzfo and people sing along. Borat exposes the will to do hate speech by having a foreigner make it more OK to do it.

With Brüno, it's somewhat about how being gay is a stigmata turning the guy into a demon. I remember this episode where he want to interview some surfers. He had them oil themselves, he had them do touchy poses and he had them wrestle. It was all fun and ok. Then he said it was for the Austrian gay TV, and the guys just flipped! He also exposes people talking shit on TV. There was some interview with some fashion gurus and he asked about Paris Hilton's outfit. It was shit according to the gurus. When he said the channel was owned by the Hiltons, they took a recap of the interview and Paris had absolutely fabulous clothes on.
>>
>>6838022
It sounds like you're saying the message of Brüno was that there's no such thing as prejudice against people -- only against certain behaviors which marginalized groups must control in order to be treated equally.
But how did the movie establish that kind of distinction between the gay identity and Brüno's behavior?
You can really go into the movie on either side of the issue and get something out of it. It does not refute the idea that Brüno's behavior is a natural consequence of his being gay -- or that there's a way to be gay that does not include Brüno's more inappropriate behaviors.
>>
>>6837847
>The entire point of Bruno was to expose people's innate homophobia.

What? Dude - when you're openly and pervertedly hitting on someone and they're like "dude - get the fuck away from me," that's not homophobia. That's a gay guy who's lucky he's not getting the shit kicked out of him.

90% of the negative reactions Sacha Cohen got in that were perfectly acceptable responses to what he was doing - not homophobia at all.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.