[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you have the stereotypical gay sassy voice? I dont like it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (149KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149KB, 1200x630px
Do you have the stereotypical gay sassy voice? I dont like it. People know I'm gay as soon as I open my mouth.
>>
I don't but I wouldn't worry if I were you. I've only ever met one other gay guy that didn't have a "gay voice" and I hangout with lots of gays. Usually more nerdy guys don't have it, even so called "masc" guys tend to have it. There was a psychology journal article about it describing how during puberty social circles affect voice and that the gay voice might arise from homophobia among men and gays are thus rejected and adapt to female voice patterns. Being a nerdy guy I was already de facto rejected by most males but I hungout with other nerdy guys so I never had total male ostracization, which is pretty much the tale I hear from most gays without the gay voice. Normies just get rejected then hangout with females so they get the gay voice.
>>
>>6805533
> one other person didn't have a sassy voice.
Because you are such a fag that the rest of us avoid you, by the sound of it.

Most gay men don't have an annoying gay voice.
>>
>>6805554
In my experience it's only the case with non-whites. I haven't met very many white guys without it, but nearly every non-white I've met has not had the "gay voice"
It might just be the group I hangout with though, they tend to be more into gay culture and such so I guess it comes with the territory that they are more stereotypical in a sense. But it's just from what I've heard that most people describe their voice patterns based on their social groups and people adapt how they speak to who they have dated and their friends and such, and it's all pretty subconscious effects, like nobody intentionally does it.
>>
>>6805533
That's an interesting theory you've got there. I wonder if it applies to transsexuals too? Might explain why you have all the weeaboo nerd transbians and the relatively normie by comparison straight ones.
>>
I'm not a prancing queen but I'm not exactly a macho masculine man either.

Sound like a nerdy nu male cuck which is worse tbqh.
>>
>>6805457
I have a pretty deep and masculine voice, but I love the gay voice. I think it's cute
>>
Not being stereotypically gay is overrated.

You really have to work on approaching others, no gay guy will approach you cause no one will know that you're gay. You have to make a real effort to "come out" all the time cause people are never going to guess otherwise.

And even when you do have stereotypically gay features, cool nice dudes who you should be hanging out with anyway don't care, you get to hang out with all the str8 guys you want.

Regardless, just someone knowing you're gay is going to cause them to start stereotyping you anyway. I have no indications of being gay, but some people I tell still berate me going "ooooooooh anon youre sooo feminine want to go shopping"

Just embrace the gay voice, it's a great peacocking effect and makes broadcasting your gayness much easier to potential bfs.
>>6805533
Cool analysis, never heard that explanation before.
>>
>>6805834
Well behaviour and speech patterns in regards to social groups is a pretty big area of research in psychology. The idea that we adapt our speech to our social groups is mostly accepted, but it's not fool-proof. We do definitely know that your speech patterns are developed early in life though and get harder and harder to change as you go. It's why you hear adults say it's hard for them to lose an accent but you see kids drop their accent very quickly in cases of emigration.
Actually I was kind of surprised at how much research there was on the "gay voice" when I started looking. You never hear about it because of fears of being labelled homophobic, but it is out there, and it's not anti-gay, it's all pretty statistical.
>>
>>6805457
>Do you have the stereotypical gay sassy voice?
No I have a deep voice, and I don't use sassy gay slang.

Effeminate voices bug me. Not because I dislike sassy gay men, but because all the attractive guys with a "gay" voice get my hopes up that they're available homosexual men. Yet much more often than not they turn out to be straight guys that hate the sound of their own voice because gay guys like me get hopeful and straight women ignore them.

>>6805533
>Normies just get rejected then hangout with females so they get the gay voice.
That's a fascinating theory, and I'd love to read more. Any specific studies you think are worth reading?
>>
>>6805457

I honestly don't know if I do. My voice is admittedly light and gentle, but I think it can sound really nasally and annoying at times. No one has ever told me that my voice was my giveaway.

so maybe...
>>
>>6806042
>That's a fascinating theory, and I'd love to read more. Any specific studies you think are worth reading?
The wikipedia article has largely been butchered but their reference section is quite good. I wouldn't bother reading the actual article, it's been butchered and most of the info has been deleted because of "homophobia" and whatnot. None of it is actual homophobic in my opinion, it's just bickering over terminology and homophobia. But actually that reference list is pretty solid, although there's quite a few journal articles from the 90s that they left out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_lisp#References
>>
>>6805533
>Normies just get rejected then hangout with females so they get the gay voice.

That is a PC theory, the truth is that kids learn to talk from their mother, most of the teachers in elementary school are females, so are babysitters and you don't see many lisping straight kids.
My guess is that the voice is somehow wired to the sexual orientation.
>>
>>6806320
Some aspects of vocals can be effected by biology and genetics, but that's more to do with physiology that hasn't necessarily been linked to sexual orientation.
For example, tall vocal chords tend to make lower frequencies, like a bass guitar vs a standard guitar. But to my knowledge there are no correlations between height and sexual orientation.
Then testosterone has effects too, like boys voices dropping around puberty. But despite the stereotypes, has it actually been concretely proven that homosexuality has anything to do with hormones like testosterone? The only implications I've seen between the two so far is scent profiles, ei gay men are more aroused by male pheromones and prefer the scent of shirts wprn by men.
Behavioural learning seems like a more promising explanation to me as a psych grad. But as you pointed out, being exposed to a certain thing very often doesn't just make you pick up on behavior, identity plays a role too. Ive lived in the deep south of the US all my life and I don't have any sort of accent, not even to the extent that my mom does. Southern is not part of my self identity, why would I begin subconsciously emulating something I don't perceive as acceptable behavior for me?
>>
>>6806512
>Some aspects of vocals can be effected by biology and genetics, but that's more to do with physiology that hasn't necessarily been linked to sexual orientation.

True. There is no physiological difference, that's why it is an accent.

>>6806512
>Behavioural learning seems like a more promising explanation to me as a psych grad.

Homosexuality was condemned in most societies, so giving away your sexual orientation by your accent was dangerous.

If it was behavioral learning, it wouldn't appear in repressive societies. Since all lispers would have been "silenced".
>>
>tfw faggy twink
>tfw shitty uncute northern accent
>>
>>6806848
Northern as in Minnesota or northern as in New York?
>>
I guess, maybe? I bite the hell out of my S's, but that might just be a low-key speech impediment.
>>
File: CAH funny mouth.jpg (12KB, 438x291px) Image search: [Google]
CAH funny mouth.jpg
12KB, 438x291px
I don't have it, but I use it all the time for jokes and irony. I don't announce my sexuality to people, so if anyone got butthurt at me for using it when it's not my normal voice, I guess I'd just tell them I'm gay, since I don't give a shit who knows I'm gay.
>>
>>6807150
probably northern as in "YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNEUGHHH"
>>
>>6805457
thank god i dont have this problem. Ive been told "you look very straight" and when i told my two high school friends i had a boyfriend now they both said independently "I did not see that coming"
>>
im insanely gay and feminine but my voice doesn't sound like that at all
it still kinda fits me so im happy, and it can sound very cute. but honestly i like my deep brit voice
>>
>>6806848
i know this feeling way too well
>>
>>6807416
haha thats funy xD find more funnies at 9gager dot org
>>
I think so but no one else does, or at least they won't admit to it.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.