[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

Why do transgenders feel the need to identify as a certain gender? I mean, I can see why finding the most fitting category for their sexual orientation (as in: what they are attracted to) is important to them - but isn't 'feeling' like a male/female/any other identity just surrendering to, and solidifying social gender constructs? I mean, isn't feeling like a 'man' just associating yourself with what society has thought is considered masculine? Isn't the more appropriate thing to do is to just accept your biological sex and insist that you are free to live as yourself, however gentle/tough/cold/sensitive/whatever, because any restrictions put on you when you attribute yourself to a specific gender are really just created by society norms?
>>
>>6756102
I'm not trans because I like dresses and makeup and the color pink or because I like cooking and gardening. I'm trans because my male physical traits disgust me, and I'm distressed by people calling me my old name or male pronouns or sir or anything like that.
>>
>>6756131
So, if it's an issue of sex and not gender (you feel like your current body is just wrong for you) - what's up with transgenders who only identify as the opposite gender, without actually transforming? Is it a way to distance yourself from the world of terminology which refers to the physical sex, to avoid being constantly reminded of that disharmony you live with? And if so, why not transform? Because it's too complicated?
>>
>>6756160
transforming? is this some micheal bay shit or what?
>>
damn i wish i could just transform instantly instead instead of going thru all the trouble of hormones and stuff :/
>>
>>6756160
The non-transitioning transgenders are either tumblr snowflakes who aren't really trans, fetishists who just like wearing women's clothes… or really bitter trannies with no hopes and will to live.
>>
>>6756265
or a mix of those ;_;
>>
>>6756265
what if i am transitioning but i still have no hopes or will to live
>>
>>6756102
I see you're confused. There are two genders: male and female. The former has the y-chromosome and the latter has not.
>>
>>6757101
i didn't know this was a youtube comment section
>>
>>6756102
I'm new to /lgbt/ and I'm having mixed thoughts on whether or not I'm considered trans, and I was wondering if someone could give their advice. I am pretty much 100% asexual, but I'm not really sure of my gender identity. I'm currently a cis male, and I'm not sure I want to stay this way. However, I don't necessarily want to be considered female either. I kind of want to be at a spot where I'm in the middle, or neither, or something like that. Is this an attainable goal that won't get me labeled as a tumblr snowflake, or is this just wishful thinking?
>>
>>6756131
Pretty much how I feel, and how I always respond when people ask me this.

Fuck "muh gender constucts" anyway. Different expectations for the genders have always existed and it's cool if you want to be a special snowflake but the norm is still the norm.
>>
>>6761445
Just live your life as androgynous as possible. Clothes, voice, whatever. As long as you don't start labeling yourself something stupid you'll be fine and have lots of allies on the board and stay clear of being called snowflake, generally.
>>
>>6761499
I can definitely see that as a viable option. I mean, being ace, I'm not exactly in any hurry to conform to someone's expectations when attractiveness is concerned, or even have any use for traditional gender roles, so trying to be nothing is the best strategy in my eyes.
>>
>>6761512
Do you, I guess. I mean being ace will get you called a special snowflake depending on who you ask so i'd worry more about making yourself happy.
>>
>>6756102
Not all transgender people are like that

I don't think I have any gender, just a body with a sex. The thing is, gender isn't just what we decide it to be, we get treated differently by other people based on how they perceive our gender. Generally in Western societies there isn't much of a social space for intermediate gender and therefore being treated as one or the other is preferable to being neither. Really going through and explaining dysphoria to people is complicated and pointless since they can't empathize so there's much pressure to just say you're transgender. Even the doctors in IC places expect it since most people think that trans is just 'incongruence between brainsex and body'

There's plenty of people who just identify as genderqueer or agender or non-binary or whatever else, it's just not as popular on this website
>>
>>6761621
>There's plenty of people who just identify as genderqueer or agender or non-binary or whatever else, it's just not as popular on this website
That's because they're idiots who don't actually understand dysphoria properly, or conflate it with their more general psychoses or depressions.

There's zero argument for health care covering HRT when "gender dysphoria" is literally just "I'm sad about SOCIETY MAYNG" and has nothing to do with any innate biological needs/functions. It would be a symptom of some sort of anxiety or depression, or a psychosis. Doctors need a reason to do something, and not everyone can afford to just do HRT as some cosmetic fashion statement.

The poisonous ideology of feminism is literally doing its best to eradicate actual trans people from the planet, as it always has done, and morons like you are the patsy trenders trying to actively usher in an awesome world where health insurance providers have no reason to provide HRT because it's actually just, like, gender performativity, smash the patriarchy. TERFs successfully revoke health care rights for trans people and argue that they aren't real and don't feel the way they do. Now third-wave kool-aid drinkers like you go around arguing "like, i have no gender, man" and essentially advocate for post-scarcity Syndrome end-game gender utopias where someone who goes through the actual physical/mental/existential trauma of having actual gender dysphoria is some backwards, evil person who doesn't actually exist and shouldn't have proper health care.

The word "transgender" is killing the trans community because people like you exist.
>>
>>6757067
Join the 43%
>>
>>6756102
Tbh OP, this is what kept me in the closet for the longest time. I knew at age 4, before I knew gender constructs or even had a male figure in my life, that I was a boy. I didn't know I was "a girl" until informed otherwise and throughout my life I constantly questioned it, despite I never heard of trans stuff so I thought I was the only person in existence to question this since everyone else seemed normal. In my teenage years I desperately tried to resolve it by making prideful statements as "I'm a girl despite [my interests, talents, intelligence, emotional capacity]" but despite trying to boast of breaking gender roles and such, I still didn't feel right about being a girl. I suspected my parents had me operated on at birth or an otherwise young age to make me a girl. I was honestly a shell and trying to embrace it but when I finally stood up and said "no I'm a boy" I felt myself finally starting to come together. I think being a boy had nothing to do with how I looked, how I acted, or what I was interested in, but was me nonetheless.

It's why, after coming out publicly, when people make statements to "man me up" I feel unease cause their behaviors have shifted to applying society's constructs on me as a means of flattering me and all I see is gender roles or even their inner misogyny being shoved in my face simply cause I said I am a guy. Like even my gf expects me to propose when before my transition, the playing field was far more even and she would talk of popping the question as much as me having that role too.
>>
My gender identity honestly has less to do with feeling like a woman than it does hating everything about being a man.
>>
>>6761863
I think there is justification for subsiding HRT anyways since it's fairly cheap and prevents people from killing themselves.

And yes I am doing my best to make 'trans' not a thing and getting rid of the concept of gender. Smash the patriarchy+capitalism
>>
>>6763853
>And yes I am doing my best to make 'trans' not a thing and getting rid of the concept of gender. Smash the patriarchy+capitalism

I bet you are sweetheart. But as much as you may like to tell yourself that your gender studies textbook contains the panacea to all trans’ people’s problems, the fact of the matter is that ‘gender is a social construct’ is both false to facts and tremendously offensive and invalidating for a great number of trans people.
>>
>>6763907
>‘gender is a social construct’ is both false to facts

Nope, the concept of "gender in the wrong body" is just what trans people came up with to justify not being hated too much. It's somewhat effective at that but it doesn't mean it's a coherent or worthwhile concept. Your essentialist views of gender are reinforcing the binary system that harms everyone

also >wahhh it hurts my feefees when someone calls me a name I don't like

get over yourself senpai it's just words
>>
>>6763932
>Nope, the concept of "gender in the wrong body" is just what trans people came up with to justify not being hated too much.

No it’s not you idiot, it’s literally a physical reality that they have brains that more closely match those of their identified rather than those of their birth-assigned sex.

>Your essentialist views of gender are reinforcing the binary system that harms everyone.

Gender IS binary and we can observe this in nature. White versus grey matter distribution, basal cell nucleus size, and thickness of myelin sheaths on neurons are NOT social constructs you dolt.
>>
>>6764070
>No it’s not you idiot, it’s literally a physical reality that they have brains that more closely match those of their identified rather than those of their birth-assigned sex.

First off, they don't closely match them. Trans people have brains that are some sort of intermediate between the average 'male' and 'female' brains.
Secondly, it doesn't prove the existence of gender identity, only gives a biological basis for where people stand in the perceived arbitrary spectrum. The entire concept of 'being' a specific gender is something that didn't arise until several decades.

>Gender IS binary and we can observe this in nature. White versus grey matter distribution, basal cell nucleus size, and thickness of myelin sheaths on neurons are NOT social constructs you dolt.

It's really not, 'brain sex' has a lot of variation in all of the dimorphic features.
http://www.pnas.org/content/112/50/15468.abstract
There isn't anyone with a perfectly 'male' or 'female' brain, it's just averages made up mostly by examining adults after socialization. Even if you do consider it to exist on some sort of spectrum, most people would be lumped into the middle 'non-binary' category with few people on the extremes http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/amp-606581.pdf

The thickness of your myelin sheaths doesn't make you a man or a woman, that gender distinction is an arbitrary concept we came up with
>>
>>6756102
Wanting to be a mother so badly that I want to kill myself is not a societal norm.
>>
>>6764127
It actually is though

Lots of women who find out they're infertile get depressed about it

It's because the patriarchy says that women are only valuable as baby incubators

You've literally managed to meme yourself into wanting to kill yourself, congrats
>>
>>6764189
So you're seriously saying there's no biological impulse to procreate?
>>
>it's a "look how calm and reasonable i'm being" episode
>>
>>6764121
>First off, they don't closely match them. Trans people have brains that are some sort of intermediate between the average 'male' and 'female' brains.

Wrongo. Of the metrics assessed so far most of them put trans people’s brains within the normal ranges for cis members of their identified gender, a couple put them in intermediary positions, and a scant handful matched their birth-assigned gender’s normal ranges.

>It's really not, 'brain sex' has a lot of variation in all of the dimorphic features.

Variation within sexual dimorphism is not an absence of sexual dimorphism; indeed to even speak of variation in something presupposes its existence.

>There isn't anyone with a perfectly 'male' or 'female' brain, it's just averages made up mostly by examining adults after socialization.

No, they’re averages calculated from hard data. Numbers aren’t a social construct my dear.

>Even if you do consider it to exist on some sort of spectrum, most people would be lumped into the middle 'non-binary' category with few people on the extremes.

For metrics that DON’T correlate strongly to biological sex, sure. For metrics that DO, men and women are overwhelmingly clustered toward one end of the spectrum or the other, with trans people clustered alongside their identified gender for most metrics.

>>6764202

Of course she does, that’s how deluded these people are. Your fucking Darwinian drive to reproduce that has been cultivated over literally billions of years, and the ways evolution has further incentivised it in mammals by adding emotional impetuses to it, is all a social construct — but the desire to shirk the shackles of the patriarchy so you can go get an office job of your own is a true natural impetus, and a human right.
>>
>>6764189
>muh patriarchy
>>6764202
>>
>>6761512
Enbies (Non-Binary) people exist, but be warned: it's the current tumblr fad identity, and lots of trans in denial use it as a stepping stone so other valid people are going to be hard to find.
>>
>>6756265
>no option for "I think SRS is horrendously primitive and don't feel like getting useless surgery"
>>
>>6764465
>Wrongo. Of the metrics assessed so far most of them put trans people’s brains within the normal ranges for cis members of their identified gender, a couple put them in intermediary positions, and a scant handful matched their birth-assigned gender’s normal ranges.

Source on 'most'? That's not what I've seen from researching about this. Of course due to variation some are closer, but plenty of people who identify as trans *don't* have brains that match the average opposite-sex.

>Variation within sexual dimorphism is not an absence of sexual dimorphism; indeed to even speak of variation in something presupposes its existence.

I didn't say that there is none, just that it's not significant/worthwhile considering how socialization affects the brain.

>No, they’re averages calculated from hard data. Numbers aren’t a social construct my dear.

Never said they are, but our interpretation of them is what's a 'social construct'. Having a brain that is closer in variation to what an average female has doesn't mean you're a woman, just like having an average female height doesn't mean you're a woman.

>For metrics that DON’T correlate strongly to biological sex, sure. For metrics that DO, men and women are overwhelmingly clustered toward one end of the spectrum or the other, with trans people clustered alongside their identified gender for most metrics.

Not really, did you read the 2nd study I linked?
The only significant division exists in physical ability. There's a whole lot of overlap in all sorts of psychometrics and personality traits and trans people especially would fall in between all of those.
>>
>>6764202
If there is then why do trans people completely go against it?

>>6764465
>Of course she does, that’s how deluded these people are.
Do you actually think I'm a female? lol

>incentivised it in mammals by adding emotional impetuses to it
I'm not saying that there is no 'drive' (although I could argue about if it's specifically procreation, since plenty of sexual drive is not centered around that) but there is most definitely a social aspect to it. The importance we place on it is correlated directly to how much memes we've ingested about it, which is how you end up with a male with functional gonads that wants to end his life because he has a 'biological drive' to procreate as a woman. lol
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.