[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you going to Belfast pride tomorrow /lgbt/ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: pride.jpg (79KB, 690x690px) Image search: [Google]
pride.jpg
79KB, 690x690px
Are you going to Belfast pride tomorrow /lgbt/ ?
>>
File: cuteanimesenpai.jpg (69KB, 498x482px) Image search: [Google]
cuteanimesenpai.jpg
69KB, 498x482px
>>6680371
>going to "pride" festivals
>>
>>6680371
Isn't there a BLM in the UK now? I don't want to have to deal with them driving trucks in front of the parade route, making it about them, and handing out a list of demands that include removing police presence and not letting LGBT cops march in uniform
>>
>>6680441

I don't think that's ever happened here.

Also OP, no - but I'm going to Brighton Pride tomorrow.
>>
>>6680441
Do you really think it's likely that you'll be hassled at Belfast pride by BLM? Or are you just satisfied by the flimsiest excuses non to leave home?
>>
>>6680718
I'm sure there were people in Toronto thinking the same way you are now
>>
>>6680741

Things are a bit different in the UK, minority groups don't generally group together like they do in other parts of the world. You forget that we don't have that strict left vs right political system like America has, everything is more ambiguous, so you don't end up with all the marginalised groups in one place.

Every American pride I've been to has had a political undercurrent, it's more of a protesty angsty vibe, not surprising given all the Bible bashers over there. Pride here is just like a big party, it's mainly straight people and families but with a big gay presence, loads of music and stuff and all the pubs and clubs have pride-themed decorations, DJs and events and stuff.
>>
>>6681212
Toronto is in Canada
>>
>>6680371
I'm going to the Amsterdam canal parade : D
>>
>>6680371
No, because I'm not fucking irish.
>>
>>6681524

Yes, and America != USA, I'm talking about the continent.

Were you not taught Geography at school?
>>
>>6682285
It's common almost everywhere outside South America to say America when you mean USA
>>
>>6680441
That literally hasn't even happened at American Prides. The Toronto one was black LGBT people protesting about an oversight of the plight of black LGBT people in an LGBT parade, and they were invited to be there in the first place. There's been a couple of #BlackLivesMatter protests in the UK today but they're generally ill attended and nowhere near as prolific as American ones.
>>6681212
Get to learn your herstory. The biggest Pride in the UK, London Pride, only stopped being a specifically political party in 2004 and UKIP were not allowed to participate last year. We do pretty much have a left vs. right political system in the UK (albeit with a couple of independents, but they conform to it; Greens - more left, Lib Dems - on paper more left but in general pretty centrist, UKIP - more right).
But yeah, Prides here are mostly just a party.
>>6682111
Why fucking comment then
>>
>>6680371
>lgbt parades
>helpful
theyre the reason why people view us as perverse bdsm gay hons w/e
they want respect yet act like animals

"no"
>>
>>6682324
Do police in the UK even carry guns? Relative to the kind of thing that goes on in the US, police brutality in most of Europe is practically nonexistent. I'm not surprised BLM hasn't gained much traction there.
>>
File: BLM-Pride.jpg (85KB, 678x603px) Image search: [Google]
BLM-Pride.jpg
85KB, 678x603px
>>6682324
>That literally hasn't even happened at American Prides.
It has.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-lives-matter-toronto-pride_us_577c15aee4b0a629c1ab0ab4
What did I say they did that wasn't true?
>inb4 it was all part of the parade
Here's a BLM representative admitting they didn't let anyone know they were going to do this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbpCxPE_dOY
>>
>>6682324
>The biggest Pride in the UK, London Pride

The biggest pride in the UK is Brighton's. London Pride barely goes on for a day and only takes up a small part of the city. Brighton's pride has never been affiliated with any party either.
>>
>>6682339

Yes they do and the last time anything like that happened was when Mark Duggan was shot by the police here in London. It was a small, peaceful protest that then sparked off huge riots and looting all around the UK's major cities but particularly London and it was almost entirely done by white chav teenagers who had no real idea about Mark Duggan or why they were vandalizing everything - it was just crime run amok.
>>
>>6682302

It's common almost everywhere in Europe to say 'America' when you mean 'North America' as in - the continent, because that's what it is.
>>
>>6682374
Not true. Why would you continue to say South America but not North America?
>>
>>6682344
The people who were leading the parade, a group of LGBT Black Lives Matter activists, decided to stop and hold up the parade. That is not the same as Black Lives Matter driving in front of the parade uninvited.
Also I don't think Black Lives Matter have a chapter in Northern Ireland. The biggest worry you have with the parade is either the Catholics trying to make it about themselves, or the Protestants trying to make it about themselves.
Anyway mostly I'm debating either Donnegal Street for the block party with Ana Matronic and Bob The Drag Queen, or Union Street with B*Witched. I might not even go to the parade bit at all.
Brighton Pride started as a protest too
http://www.brighton-pride.org/history-of-brighton-pride/
They're also so not the biggest Pride. They had 130,000 attendees in 2013, vs. London Pride's 600,000.
>>
>>6682324

Labour hasn't been left wing for a while, it's been centrist for decades, sometimes it sways right, sometimes it sways left. It's not at all the same as America's Republicans vs Democrats - that is a true two-party system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-party_system

We have parties that you can divide into left and right depending on who's leading the party, but we don't have a two-party system - We wouldn't have had Cameron were it not for the coalition partner chosen by the Lib Dems.
>>
>>6682385
Because if you're talking about an "America", it's almost certainly going to be North America. That's like saying "Why do you say Ireland and Northern Ireland"?
>>
>>6682391
>They're also so not the biggest Pride. They had 130,000 attendees in 2013, vs. London Pride's 600,000.

London's attendees are because the population is bigger, the size of the actual event itself is smaller. Brighton's pride takes up the whole weekend and encompasses the whole city - it's a proper festival, not just a day's parade.

>>6682385
>Not true

Yes it is. America is a continent and everyone besides you acknowledges that. I'm pretty sure it's only Americans who seem to call themselves 'American' without actually thinking about the other countries in their continent. No doubt the same types who seem to think Europe is a country.
>>
>>6682410
>America is a continent and everyone besides you acknowledges that.
There are two. Unless South America is no longer part of the Americas then explain to me how it makes sense to only call one of them America. You're clearly just making this up.
>>
>>6682435

Because the US is the US - Everyone says 'The US' or 'The states' when they mean 'USA'. When people say 'America' they're including Canada - Normally if they're talking about South America they will say 'South America' and if they mean both they'll say 'The Americas'

It's not that hard anon, these are average people on the street that have nothing to do with anything across the Atlantic, is there a reason they can get it right but you can't? Most people here don't even separate Canada and America too much, it's all just 'America' because the cultural differences between the US and Canada are far smaller than the ones between Germany and France, or the UK and Spain so people don't see the distinction to be as important as you do, perhaps.
>>
>>6682453
You still haven't explain why North America gets abbreviated to America but South America doesn't. All you do is keep saying "US and Canada get called America all the time" over and over. This is how I know it's nonsense. Explain the reasoning behind only giving an abbreviated name to ONE of the Americas
>>
Yeah because I need dick bad
>>
>>6682474
Post BP and you might not have to wait for the parade
>>
File: california-map.jpg (546KB, 1497x1635px) Image search: [Google]
california-map.jpg
546KB, 1497x1635px
Palm Springs pride 2016! In Nov. when the weather is cooler. Linky: www.pspride.org
>>
File: 1468846985263.jpg (64KB, 600x694px) Image search: [Google]
1468846985263.jpg
64KB, 600x694px
>>6682462
>You still haven't explain why North America gets abbreviated to America but South America doesn't.

I'm pretty sure I explained it as best as I can in the last sentence of my post.

What else do you want from me? To ask every single person in the country why they use a common colloquialism? All I can do is give you suggestions as to why it might be the case, same as anyone can - you're literally asking the impossible.

Some potential reasons:

-Because being comprised of English-speaking countries and generally a lot more influential in the world more people here will assume you're talking about North America when you say America.

-Because we have very little to do with South America culturally, geographically and politically.

-Because more people here have gone to the US and Canada on holiday instead of Southern American countries.

Why do we generalise anything? Why do we spell some words differently? Why are biscuits something different here? You're asking me to answer for millions of people and it's stupid. All because you 'don't believe' it happens when someone calls you out on your lack of Geography.

Going this far just to not lose face is just ridiculous, Anon. If you don't believe it then I don't really care, feel free not to believe it - you can chalk it up as being another thing you're ignorant about.
>>
File: 1469878214476.gif (2MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1469878214476.gif
2MB, 320x320px
>>6682497
So all you're saying is that from whatever weird country you claim to be from
>Only North America is called America
>There's no reason for it
>It somehow makes it easier to combine two different countries buck of a lack of knowledge of cultural differences when talking about one of them
>Most people in Europe do this because of the English language despite that very few countries speak it as a first language
Makes sense now
>>
>>6682391
>That is not the same as Black Lives Matter driving in front of the parade uninvited.
Who claimed they weren't invited?
>>
File: 459345349.jpg (66KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
459345349.jpg
66KB, 720x480px
>>6682505
>So all you're saying is that from whatever weird country you claim to be from

You mean the UK? Yes I am, and I'm sorry there's no reason for it. While you're here, I'll take the opportunity to apologize; So from the bottom of my heart, I'm really, honestly sorry that the use of the word makes no sense to you and that we may never be able to satisfy your curiosity with an answer. It's an unfortunate quirk of a language that has permutated over many years and has borrowed from many others that have done the same.

Maybe one day we'll blessed enough to embrace something closer to the logical clarity of American English and its evident emphasis on verbosity and coherence - May God paint the sky with stars and stripes when that day comes.
>>
>>6682497
mexico is north america shitlord
>>
File: folsom.jpg (87KB, 700x380px) Image search: [Google]
folsom.jpg
87KB, 700x380px
>>6682495
I'll be attending Folsom in September. Can't wait!
>>
>>6682553
Just admit you're making it up. Declare your status as an ebin troll and get it over with. There's no way you're from the UK
>>
>>6682462
>You still haven't explain why North America gets abbreviated to America but South America doesn't.
It just does, anon. People just refer to North America as America. That's just a thing that people do here.
>>
>>6682567

I can take a picture out of my window if you want. It's pretty dark because it's nearly half 3 in the morning here but you might be able to see some British car number plates or the street lights or something. I'm pretty confident that where I live couldn't be mistaken for anywhere in the US, but I haven't been everywhere there.

I've also got some Walker's Sunbites popcorn here on my desk, I think these are pretty new and maybe wouldn't be available on export shops just yet.

Take your pick, Anon. There's a smorgasbord of British things I have here and I'm geared and ready to fulfill your wildest requests. How about 3 pin plug sockets - I can't import those and stick them to the wall, right?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.