[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help convincing parents of transgender child

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

A younger friend of mine is going through some trouble and I need some help here in order to help her. At age 14, she has come to the conclusion that she's trans (mtf). After speaking with her about it, the things she describes are very real to my own battle with gender dysphoria when I was a teenager. The problem is, although she gathered the courage to confront her parents, they dismissed her identity. I know that the earlier one starts their transition, the better they would feel, especially one in a testosterone-generating body. Although I have been careful not to pressure her, I informed her of this. She wants her parents to help her and support her, and I offered to speak to them as a transgendered individual myself (ftm). It would be via email. Is there anything I can say to help inform them of what their daughter is going through and see if they can assist her transition? Ideally I'd love to back it up with stats and maybe some testimonials? Please help, thanks!
>>
>>6515560
Puberty blockers are completely safe, and halt puberty.

If they're afraid of making a decision, then you can tell them they're making a deicision either way.
And the more permanent decision is to not give her HRT, since it's going to be a lot harder to deal with what testosterone does.

Even if she would go on proper HRT, she'd p probably have no problem passing as male if she changed her mind a couple of years later.

May as well mention the torment she'll go through, the risks of her developing things like anorexia, and mistrust of others (avpd/social anxiety), depression will get worse, and possibly becoming suicidal. The things that develop might stay for life.
>>
>>6515596
That's really helpful, thanks!
>>
>>6515560
I think figuring out whether a kid is trangendered is super, super difficult. I'd see if there's any qualified psychologist in the area who you know isn't a conservative jerk but who isn't trigger-happy either. Surely the parents would be at least willing to send her to a psychologist?
>>
>>6516314
From what she told me, they just dismissed it. She is in no threat of being kicked out at least, despite their lack of support, probably cause they just don't take her seriously.
>>
lol what.

Imagine if, when you were that age, your child told you that they'd been talking to an adult on the internet.

They're gonna think you're a predator and/or corrupted their child into thinking they're trans.

I'm not trying to put a dampener on this or anything, but I really feel that you talking to them might scare them even further
>>
>>6518144
This. Parents aren't typically rational when they find out their children have been speaking to adults behind their back, especially if it has something to do with their lackluster parenting, and ESPECIALLY if you're LGBT.

You're a transgender stranger telling them their kid's body needs altering because they're like you, a massively hated minority most average people think is gross and perverted. You might as well be pulling up to their house in a dirty white van that says "free candy."
>>
>>6518144
>>6518280
Oh! I didn't even think about this! Since she is also my sister's age and we're five years apart, I honestly did not consider it from that sort of perspective... I really wouldn't want to make the situation any worse and scare her parents.
>>
Mail her hermones on the downlow.
>>
>>6518304
No way. I would never even tell her that they're available online.
>>
>>6518334
Be sure, also, to never tell her about the existence of online communities which discuss the finer details of covert hormonal transition as practiced by those seeking to bypass unresponsive or antagonistic family and medical professionals.

That would be irresponsible.
>>
>>6515560
Tell her how to cut her balls off
>>
>>6518428
I know what you're saying but I think it'd put her in a worse situation. I wouldn't be able to advise someone to self-medicate or show them how to, especially if they're underage.
>>
>>6518131
Then you may want to teach her how to self-med, but anonymously.
>>
>>6518507
Exactly. You both lack the knowledge and must protect yourself from the liability.

Ultimately, you're at your best as emotional support. Your young friend is going to have to be assertive resourceful, and insistent, or things will get worse.
>>
>>6518334
Why wouldn't you?
If she doesn't get hormones she'll probably kill herself.

You disgust me.
>>
>>6518595
But if they do get hormones they'll almost certainly kill themselves (later on)
>>
>>6520310
Far from certainly, just have a much higher chance than the general population.
Without hormones there's a guarantee that they'll kill themselves.
>>
>>6518507

If I were in your position, I would definitely tell her. But that's just me. I wish I had simply accepted I was trans at that age instead of trying to run away from the truth.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.