[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Things to avoid in writing an LGBT character in fiction.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: image.png (4KB, 178x178px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
4KB, 178x178px
Hey /lgbt/, I have a semi-strange request/question. I am an aspiring fantasy author who has a story planned out, and one of the main leads is a closeted lesbian. The problems I face is that I am neither female nor part of the lgbt community (straight white cis scum to be specific) and I haven't really been exposed too much to lesbianism in the real world. My closest friend is a guy and is as gay as a fucking handbag filled with rainbows, but lesbians are a bit of a "foreign concept" to me.

The question I pose is this. In fiction, when portraying a gay character, in this case, female, what would make her a "bad" portrayal? What character traits, behaviors, misconceptions, stereotypes, etc. would be seen as "unhealthy" for lack of a better term that I can think of?

I'd be remiss to ask this without giving at least a few details, but I also don't want to bore anyone, so I'll keep it as brief as I can. As a character, really, the only stereotype she falls into that I can think of is her clothing choices. She wears fairly "masculine" clothing most of the time and her reason for this is purely for comfort and practicality. She hates makeup as well because she thinks it feels like there's paint on her face. I did mention she was closeted and that does have to do with the world she lives in. Long story short, it's not pretty for anyone who isn't straight. There is an in-universe explanation for why people think this way that I do touch upon. People don't like those that aren't straight. Overall, she is comfortable in her own skin but she just hides her sexuality purely so she can avoid the hell that comes with it.

I tried going to Reddit with this question but the only concrete answer I got with it was "You shouldn't write about what you don't know." So, Reddit was being Reddit. Not much help there.

TL;DR: How dumb straight guy write gud gay girl who no piss no one off?

Thanks in advance, guys.
>>
>>6311867
i'd suggest hanging out on The L Chat for about a month or two, that should give you a pretty good scope of generally how lesbians talk/what their tastes are/their politics/their language etc. Obviously watch out for transbians/fetishist guys but it's probably the only place where you'll find real gaygirls.
>>
>>6311867
just write her as a misandrist with no sense of accountability or responsiblity
>>
File: image.jpg (123KB, 580x580px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123KB, 580x580px
>>6311867
Stop writing about boring lesbians, start writing about femboys
>>
File: 1374552390771.jpg (52KB, 478x352px) Image search: [Google]
1374552390771.jpg
52KB, 478x352px
>straight male number 53827483 trying his hand on writing lgbt characters
>>
File: Triggered_7363e5_5661062.png (467KB, 606x595px) Image search: [Google]
Triggered_7363e5_5661062.png
467KB, 606x595px
>>6311867
>writing about lesbians

How boring, seriously everyone and they're mother who wants easy "diversity" points without causing to much controversy does this shit

>how to make gud lesbean that won't piss off people

Write a perfect, infallible, character that acts as a morale arbitrator, and is also super intelligent, also make her have a fairytale ending, anything less than this and you'll be crucified
>>
>>6311990
>Straight writer doesn't include gay characters
>Muh opression!
>Straight writer does include gay characters
>Gtfo my hugbox, you don't understand me!

Honestly OP, get the fuck out of here. Posters here or any other site with its own pronounced "culture" will shit on you no matter what.

My recommendation is to take yourself over to the gay teen forum, just google it, and read through some threads there. That's where I went when I was getting ready to come out, and it's a goldmine of closeted anxiety and personal stories. Good luck, try not to listen to bitter retards.
>>
>>6312206

Good idea. I knew going on 4chan looking for legitimate advice was a horrible fucking idea. Guess I'm too used to message boards where the posters aren't all seething hateful assholes.
>>
>>6311867
She's a human being.
She likes women.
Unfortunately, she has to hide it.

Here are some tips from a blog:

1. Write the character first and THEN add the LGBT shit.

2. Write characters that, oh hey! Happen to be LGBT

3. Don't fall into tokenism

4. Write imperfect LGBT characters... but don't overdo it.

5. Write intersectional characters

Source (spanish): http://www.rociovega.es/personajes-lgbt/

Fellow white cis scum here.
>>
>>6311867
Well, the first step to write a good a lesbian character is to actually make her a lesbian. The second one is not to give her a tragic death, or something equivalent, unless there is a really, really good reason that makes the plot and characterization better. The third one would be to treat this character as an actual human bean you could relate to, like you'd do with "normal" people. The fourth step is not to ask for advice on /lgbt/ as it is a terrible board, and not to ask on lesgen as it is a terrible general. This way, you will already be on a better track than the vast majority of writers.
>>
File: stairs.png (12KB, 280x151px) Image search: [Google]
stairs.png
12KB, 280x151px
>>6312537
Damn, look at those sick stairs.
>>
>>6312537
>>6312543
Yeah, I agree with this anon, don't do too pure for this sinful earth and kill gays like its hunting season. I'd like some lesbian fiction that isn't angsty melodrama. Also, probably don't make her brown/trans/a raging feminist, depending on the demographic you want.
>>
>>6311867
Make sure you don't break the lesbian stereotype too strongly. No matter how much sjws believe it, gay people DO act more like the straight opposite sex. So you're essentally writing more of a male character, but don't jump to conclusions.The character is not actually male, they only generally have the fundamental qualities of one.
Or go full on dyke queen and make her very stereotypical. Spikey dykies do exist readily in the real world. But if you plan on making her more moderate and less butch, just keep to what I said earlier. You've gotta strike the balance between non stereotypical and realism. Make her too femm and eh, she's just an inaccurate lesbian.
>>
File: 549803.png (316KB, 596x578px) Image search: [Google]
549803.png
316KB, 596x578px
>>6311867
don't fall into the Questionable Content problem wherein the individual's sexuality is supposed to be somewhat of a defining trait, but ultimately due to underwriting, can be interchanged with any other type because the way it's written doesn't effect the way that the character interacts/socializes with other characters. gay or straight, if you're being outward about their orientation, it should be evident in some way other than just saying "they're gay/straight" etc.
>>
>>6311867
Just write the character as you would any other. The character can't be forced, they have to be imagined right from the get-go as gay. You have to write a character with their own struggles, thoughts, developments, etc.

I like what you've come up with in terms of characterization. If you're able to work that into the narrative naturally, so that it's not intrusive and doesn't fuck with the narrative as a whole, then it's fine.

>The question I pose is this. In fiction, when portraying a gay character, in this case, female, what would make her a "bad" portrayal? What character traits, behaviors, misconceptions, stereotypes, etc. would be seen as "unhealthy" for lack of a better term that I can think of?
I think in terms of these kinds of questions, about all I can think of for lesbians is making them creepy, obsessive over straight women, and overall psycho. I think those are the kinds of misconceptions people have about lesbians. Avoid those and you should be fine.
>>
>>6311867

I just do what I do with my non-LGBT characters and base them off of aspects of people I know so they end up realistic one way or another. Although seems like a lot of writers are shut-in autist types who don't know anyone IRL kek.
>>
>>6311867
ask yourself if someone reading your book would be able to describe the character as more than 3 words before getting to the word lesbian
>>
>>6313732
What about lipstick lesbians and masc gays?
>>
>>6311867
>make her normal like any other woman, except she likes banging other women
>do not give her short/dyke-y hair
>do not make her a psychotic man-hater
>avoid weird hair colors/piercings/unnecessary tattoos
>do not kill her off
>do not make her fat

Lesbians are depicted with all of many of these in fucking everything.
>>
>>6315629
that's very clever
>>
Protip: Don't do the thing the House Of Night series did.
>>
>>6311867
OP, my suggestion is to not make her character about being gay/trying to hide that she's gay. That's boring af and done a million times.
>>
>>6311867
Write her like a normal person but she likes women. Works for me. People seem to eat my shit up at workshops and stuff and I'm a manly straight dude who writes from different perspectives often
>>
>>6311867
don't make them a hacker, a vaguely-defined 'artist' or a vegan
>>
OP, you could look at the depictions of Loras and Renly in the A Song of Ice and Fire books or the Game of Thrones TV show. And how people didn't like the flanderization of Loras's character from complex figure into le persecuted closeted homo.
>>
>>6311867
You should consider why you want this character to be gay. Are you trying to get a gay audience? Do you want to appeal to people who think that the most important aspect of any entertainment is "muh diversity"? Is their gayness the entire point of the character? Maybe change it to something else, like the character is the last remaining heir to a noble house and must keep it a secret to avoid being killed by her enemies. Don't make sexuality a story hook, because you will just get berated by weirdos no matter how you do it. Or go ahead and do it because it's your time and your work so fuck it.
>>
>>6315785
Stereotypes exist for a reason senpai. Anyway I agree that nobody wants to read about a fat bitchy militant dyke in fiction or in the real world.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.