[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lgbt/, I'm a ftm psych major and I'm looking for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot 2016-02-07 23.55.49.png (155KB, 581x383px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-02-07 23.55.49.png
155KB, 581x383px
Hey /lgbt/, I'm a ftm psych major and I'm looking for some data for a research project. I want to prove that the stress for transgender students in gendered bathrooms proves that my university needs more gender neutral bathrooms.

If you're a transgender person, please think back to incidents where you were in a gendered bathroom with cis people. This is about your level of stress just being in a gendered bathroom, or incidents when you felt uncomfortable because of comments, stares, or violence. Then fill this out, with 5 being the most accurate, and 0 as the least accurate.
Filling this out, and talking about your experiences will help me help other trans students feel safer on my campus. Thank you very much!

>age
>ftm or mtf (or transmasculine of transfeminine)
>whether you're a college student

>I had difficulty falling or staying asleep after being the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5

>I felt restless when I was in the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5

>I tried to avoid feelings about being in the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5

>I would jump in surprise at the least thing when I was in the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5

>I tried to avoid activities that reminded me of my experiences in gendered restrooms. 0 1 2 3 4 5

>I felt hyper vigilant or "on edge" when I was in the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5

>I tried to avoid conversations about the incident. 0 1 2 3 4 5

>I tried to avoid thoughts about the incident. 0 1 2 3 4 5

>I felt irritable or had outbursts of anger. 0 1 2 3 4 5

>I avoided contact with people who reminded me of being in an incident in a gendered bathroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5

>I had difficulty concentrating. 0 1 2 3 4 5

>I tried to stay away from gendered bathrooms 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>
>22
>ftm
>University

>I had difficulty falling or staying asleep after being the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>I would jump in surprise at the least thing when I was in the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>I tried to avoid activities that reminded me of my experiences in gendered restrooms. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>I felt hyper vigilant or "on edge" when I was in the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>I avoided contact with people who reminded me of being in an incident in a gendered bathroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5

This is how I filled this out
>>
>>5688140
The only time I've been bothered about gendered restrooms was when I had to go into the guys one at an airport because the women's was packed and we were in a hurry to hit a connecting flight

didn't even end up going cause that was super crowded too and just left
>>
>>5688225
can you fill out the stress test anyway? It doesn't have to be super dramatic this is all about subjective feelings about it
>>
>age
mtf
graduated

? nobody reminds me of going potty, i would avoid them if they did

Mostly kinda silly seeming questions senpai.
>>
>>5688261
thank you for your input!
>>
>25
>mtF
>Grad student

0, I don't stay up thinking about it.

4. Get weird looks and feels odd since I'm inbetween passing and am stuck using biological bathroom.

3. Being in a restroom in general is weird, why would I want to simulate the experience even if I was cis?
That said, reading about trans experiences in the restroom can be kinda interesting.

0. I never have to talk about it so.. yeah.

0. Looked at other posts about it because it was interesting to read.

4. I avoid people I came across in a bathroom.

0. Doesn't haunt me, what haunts me is my reflection. :D

>>
>>5688251
alright, mone seems kinda boring is all

>age
mtf
trade school

1 (I have to change every day in a gendered locker room, mostly involves being annoyed if the one big stall is taken)
1 (If it's convenient I'll change in the big private bathroom with nice benches to put all my stuff, but that's downstairs)
>>
>>5688306
I think it's an important part of watching out for yourself is reading up on what happens to other trans people, but it can make me more nervous than I need to be.
Thank you very much!
>>
>>5688308
The fact that there are so few non-gendered bathrooms and changing rooms is really annoying.
I think I may condense this survey, thank you very much for filling it out!
>>
>>5688318
at least the changing room i have has stalls, i would have much higher numbers if it were one of those just lockers one like you see in movies

i did feel confused about the differences between some of the categories, like feeling restless and feeling on edge
>>
Hey OP, if this is your idea of collecting data as proof, you haven't payed attention in your classes: a 4chan survey doesn't prove shit. I suggest you start rethinking being a psych major and actually working w/ people, you're going to fuck someone up...
>>
>>5688336
Also, collected survey data is not proof. It may suggest something about a certain population (with a X number of different conclusion one may infer), but it doesn't prove anything. Again, rethink your major...
>>
>>5688340
This is totally true, and I appreciate your concern!
I could have worded this a bit better, and explained more about my project, but I figured this was enough explanation and didn't want to bog people down in the details. :)
If you wouldn't mind filling out the survery, I would appreciate it.
I'm still in the beginning stages of planning out this project and am mostly collecting data about how people feel about the test, when they are anonymous. When it's finalized I will be giving this survey to trans people in person on my campus, just in case you were curious.
People using anonymous social networking sites have been studied before in psychological research btw!
https://www.reddit.com/comments/41dni8
>>
>>5688140
Make a google doc or survey monkey and link it.

0/10 terrible format
>>
APAfag here.

> I want to prove that the stress for transgender students in gendered bathrooms proves that my university needs more gender neutral bathrooms.

The phrasing of this is completely unscientific.

The point anon >>5688336 makes is relevant, but the problem is more fundamental. Good science follows the evidence, and should NEVER push for a conclusion, seeking the cleanest data and evidence possible.

Now there's nothing WRONG with wanting your university to have more gender neutral bathrooms, but your approach is political advocacy and not science.
>>
>>5688140
People need to stop taking offence and start claiming constructive opinion in society. You westerners should start to focus on real issues. Universities are among the safest environments in society. If you cannot survive there, where in the world can you survive? Not even to mention a muslim country like my own.

Getting everyting given to you because you 'feel' threatened only takes away self-esteem and respect. Grow up and realise that the world is not a fair place. Sometimes you just need to accept the way things are.
>>
>>5688140
>23
>mtf
>university

>I had difficulty falling or staying asleep after being the gendered restroom.
>I felt restless when I was in the gendered restroom.
>I tried to avoid feelings about being in the gendered restroom.
>I would jump in surprise at the least thing when I was in the gendered restroom.
>I tried to avoid activities that reminded me of my experiences in gendered restrooms.
>I felt hyper vigilant or "on edge" when I was in the gendered restroom.
>I tried to avoid conversations about the incident.
>I tried to avoid thoughts about the incident.
>I felt irritable or had outbursts of anger.
>I avoided contact with people who reminded me of being in an incident in a gendered bathroom.
>I had difficulty concentrating
>I tried to stay away from gendered bathrooms

not really sure i apply to this survey as i have never had an incident of being clocked in the bathroom. Basically after i came out, if i needed the toilet i went back to my dorm, which wasnt bad coz my classes werent far away.
the second i could pass beyond any doubt was when i started using public restrooms.

im kinda thankful for never realling having to go through super fucky awkwardness while being trans. there was some, but i never went girl mode until people started questioning my gender in boy mode.
>>
MtF

I graduated recently but was transitioned (so a girl) in university. My answer to all those questions is a big fat 0. I've never had any issues with gendered restrooms, I only ever used the ones of the gender I passed as so they've never caused me any issue.
>>
>>5688140
Maybe you should ask a more mature board other than one inhabited by self-hating people who diagnose themselves as mentally ill.

Might I suggest /r/transgender.
>>
>>5688140
>>age
>>ftm or mtf (or transmasculine of transfeminine)
ftm
>>whether you're a college student
Yes
>>I had difficulty falling or staying asleep after being the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>I felt restless when I was in the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>I tried to avoid feelings about being in the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>I would jump in surprise at the least thing when I was in the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>I tried to avoid activities that reminded me of my experiences in gendered restrooms. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>I felt hyper vigilant or "on edge" when I was in the gendered restroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>I tried to avoid conversations about the incident. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>I tried to avoid thoughts about the incident. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>I felt irritable or had outbursts of anger. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>I avoided contact with people who reminded me of being in an incident in a gendered bathroom. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>I had difficulty concentrating. 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>I tried to stay away from gendered bathrooms 0 1 2 3 4 5
>>
>>5688140
If you're a psych major then you should know that "proving" something will require valid psychological testing (aka usi g an existing test, because creating a new test and testing its validity is a large graduate project in itself).

There is nothing on 4chan that proves shit. Now kindly fuck off to your professors, and ask them for help in running such an experiment.
>>
>wheelchair gender

I know it means handicap accessible, but that's what I saw when I looked at the sign.
>>
>being triggered by signs
>>
mtf
I graduated

>I had difficulty falling or staying asleep after being the gendered restroom.
>0

>I felt restless when I was in the gendered restroom.
>4

>I tried to avoid feelings about being in the gendered restroom.
>0

>I would jump in surprise at the least thing when I was in the gendered restroom.
>3

>I tried to avoid activities that reminded me of my experiences in gendered restrooms.
>0

>I felt hyper vigilant or "on edge" when I was in the gendered restroom.
>4

>I tried to avoid conversations about the incident.
>1

>I tried to avoid thoughts about the incident.
>3

>I felt irritable or had outbursts of anger.
>0

>I avoided contact with people who reminded me of being in an incident in a gendered bathroom.
>0

>I had difficulty concentrating.
>3

>I tried to stay away from gendered bathrooms
>4

It should be worth saying I felt pretty much like this in male gendered bathrooms before my transition. I just hate public bathrooms in general.
>>
Thanks to everyone who participated! I will be redesigning the survey this week.
>>
File: 1402339497914.gif (1MB, 320x173px) Image search: [Google]
1402339497914.gif
1MB, 320x173px
>>5688140
>this absolutely shit survey/hypothesis/experimental design

This is why I laugh when people argue that social sciences are real science
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.