[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So a co-worker came out to all the staff with this last week,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: sketch-1451474508573.jpg (429KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
sketch-1451474508573.jpg
429KB, 1080x1920px
So a co-worker came out to all the staff with this last week, he hasn't been in since and I'm a bit worried he's been fired

If he comes back how do I say I admire the kind of bravery it takes to put up a poster like this? And that I hope everything goes well and the surgery is successful.

I mean yes I could say just that but every time I've tried to talk to him before he came out I got a vibe of "go away, man"

And if youre on here and you see this, I'm sorry if I caused offence.
>>
Side note reaction image us to cover a picture of the person in question, it's not my reaction
>>
Bump pls help with my politically correct approach
>>
>Hey man, I saw that poster you put up. That takes a lot of balls, hehe. I've been wanting to tell you I'm happy for you and hope it all goes well for you.
>manly pat on the shoulder and continue going about your business
He says he's okay with people asking him questions in person so there should be no problem with you giving him a quick word of support. It'd only be weird if you make it weird.
>>
>>5465707
>only weird if you make it weird
Yeah, truth words there
Thanks anon
>>
>>5465688
>preferred pronouns

Into the trash.
>>
I would sharpie "gross" on that poster if I worked with you
>>
>>5465688
>>5465707
>>5465713
What? Fuck you people are awful no wonder you draw the ire of basically the whole of society.

They've already posted the letter and answered all the questions. Why do you feel the need to do this "feeding the homeless" bullshit of telling them how wonderful and brave they are instead of just leaving it be? You're not in it together, you don't "get" their situation, just treat them like any other person instead of this patronising bullshit.
>>
>>5465743
Well that was the other half of my concerns on the matter, do I say what I want to say or treat them like just another person.
Obviously you're for the latter.

Largely I just wanted to be able to talk them, they seemed genuinely interesting BEFORE this but my attempts to get a conversation were politely dismissed.

Yes im aware that some people don't want to be talked to. By me.
>>
>>5465743
>you're not in this together
And I thought the point of an lgbt community was that as a COMMUNITY they are somewhat in this together.
I'm one of those letters.
>>
>So a co-worker came out to all the staff with this last week, he hasn't been in since and I'm a bit worried he's been fired

I can only hope she has been fired

Fired for BEING AN IDIOT
>>
>>5465707
>That takes a lot of balls

kek
>>
just congratz him on the name change. It is subtle enough that its not going into the transition, and shows that you are perfectly accepting. Dont go into details or anything just leave it with if you need anything dont be afraid to ask.

If they get mad at you then they just want to be the victim
>>
>>5465688
>A boy trapped in a girls body
How old is he?
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 450x443px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 450x443px
>>5465859
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
>>
>>5465743
Transwoman here, Pretty sure the way you treat another person when they come out with big news is congratulating them. They dont need to make it about them but there is nothing offensive about saying good for you. Now if they keep bothering you and trying to relate than yeah but dont be offended by someone say you are brave and good for you.
>>
it's cool that you wanna support him

Here's the problem with the direct words of support approach. After you do that you'll feel great about yourself, real great person, congrats to me etc. But this isn't about you. The best kind of support is the kind that he doesn't find out about and you don't get to be directly thanked for and feel great about.

There will be a time when people are drinking after work, he's not around, and somebody brings up the topic of his transition. Grown adults will smirk and giggle like goddamn children as they collaboratively pick through every moment of his past looking for missed signs. It always happens and it's gross and degrading as fuck. That kind of shit is your opportunity to show real, actually meaningful support. You can't necessarily shut that kind of conversation down but you can make it clear how you feel and you can refuse to participate. You don't get to be thanked by him for that kind of thing because ideally he doesn't find out about it, but it's valuable.

Not that you shouldn't do your words of support idea. But don't let it be just empty words
>>
>>5465908
That doesn't make any sense.

If he never finds out about it, then it really isn't support since he had no idea he's been supporting.

And by acting like a 'mature adult' in front of his other co-workers, he would still feel great about himself just for being a better person. So it's even more about himself since at least with direct support the other guy knows someone has his back.

Maybe saying something like "CONGRATS ON BECOMING A DUDE, DUDE" would be too direct, but saying "I'm ok with it" when he's not around is way too indirect
>>
>>5465936
Their point was dont show empty support, Support because you support not because you are looking to get something out of it.
reread the last part of their post
>>
>>5465941
Everyone does that to everyone and everything.

I hate how ftms are always gonna be sensitive special snowflakes, and that trans people are a special creature that cannot be exposed to the same social etiquette that cis people can be.
>>
>>5465743
Fucking this, the last thing i wanted during transition was a bunch of cis people telling me how 'brave' i was.
>>
>>5465944
no shit it happens with everything but its still being a good person. If you care enough that you ask how to show support then obviously you care about being a decent person. If OP didnt care he wouldnt have asked.
>>
>>5465951
So you cant handle a person congulating you one time and telling you are brave? Get the fuck over yourself. If they keep doing it or are like trying to flirt with you then yeah fuck off but seriously its the social convention. Learn to fucking deal with it.
>>
>>5465951
but in this case the trans person is pretty much asking for support and inviting his co-workers to speak with him and ask questions.

So I don't think this particular guy is bothered by it.
>>
>>5465936
point is if every time you defend somebody from being talked about behind their back, you go running to them for your fucking ally cookie then it's not really support, is it?

> HEY DUDE SOME PEOPLE WERE TOTALLY TALKING SHIT ABOUT YOU THE OTHER DAY JUST LIKE IN YOUR WORST NIGHTMARES BUT ITS OKAY I WAS THERE ME YOUR BEST BUDDY WHERES MY COOKIE

nobody wants a fucking written report of every time that happens. it's not something you wanna hear about but it's nice if people have your back without having to run to you for validation every time
>>
>>5466184
>but it's nice if people have your back without having to run to you for validation every time

how can it be nice if you don't know it's happening, though?

I get it that defending someone it's a good thing to do even when they're not there. But if they never know you did that, then they won't feel supported.

of course, asking for validation every time you do it is idiotic as well.

Both extremes are bad.
>>
File: grimes120.jpg (73KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
grimes120.jpg
73KB, 640x640px
>>5465688
>that girl that loves to collect trollies
pls expand on this part
>>
>>5466197
Oh, right.
We work at a supermarket.
Person in question prefers to collect trollies instead of working on checkout, although so would anybody.

Good to see some people see that im not trying to be an asshole but I give a shit instead

>>5465908
I have actually already done this
Had a big argument with an autistic redditor co-worker after he said

>fuck anon did you see that poster about ~puddingpop~ I noped so hard when I saw that
100% was not having a bar of that, especially because he KNOWS I've had boyfriends and how I feel about this shit.
>>
>>5467483
I've seen too many supermarkers where walking the carpark for trollies is the job for the token retard to keep him from scaring customers. It's not really a job to be proud of, I'd think.
>>
>>5467493
This person isnt designated as the sole trolley boy, he actively volunteers for it because he knows (and I sussed this out a while back) tgat its the easiest job in the store.
Besides, all our token retards are in the freezer dept.
>>
>>5465908

>they collaboratively pick through every moment of his past looking for missed signs

What's wrong with that? I think I would like to know what tipped everyone off, even if it doesn't really count because they didn't realize until I told them.
>>
>>5465757
I mean it really depends on his personality, which none of us have any way of knowing. But if you do go for it and he acts rude, then that's on him and don't beat yourself up about it. Basically this >>5465874
>>
>>5465936
Just because the guy might not find out directly doesn't mean it won't help. If even one person puts a bit more effort into using the right pronouns or feels bad about making fun of him or whatever, it will have made a big difference.
>>
>>5465874
I think this is good middle ground, especially as you two haven't spoken a lot. It's clearly supporting without risking taking it too far.
>>
>>5465688
You can tell the person who posted that flier isn't actually a man, because no man would think they're so special that they nees to plaster their feelings all over a work environment and expect everyone to comply with their feelings.
>>
>>5465688
Can you post the full-res reaction image? I've been waiting for it to come up for a while and can't find it on google
>>
>>5470051
Actually I guess I can just cut out and reverse search. I'm dumb
>>
>bravery
>tree proxy
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.