[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'44/'45 western front planes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

Dear /k/omrades,

I need your knowledge of the last war. Specifically, which planes were used by the Nazis after the invasion of Normandy. Did they even use planes or was allied air superiority so overwhelming they didn't even get any birds in the sky?
If they did, what kind of ground attack planes did they use?

Background is, I am building a Sherman tank model and I want a German plane to accompany it, but I honestly can't think of anything that a Sherman could have encountered in those days. Stukas were long over and pic related, the Henschel Hs 129, was on the eastern front and in africa.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b6/36/b4/b636b4bf85d89856e2d5f9d3af1bb83e.jpg
>>
>>35185341
Ju-87G might spice things up.
Stukas saw service right up until the end of the war, oddly enough.
>>
>>35185392
OP is correct in regards to ground attackers as on the western front they had no chance vs the allies air power.

The Stuka G and Hs 129 were used pretty much exclusively on the eastern front.

>>35185341
You could do a what if scenario with an Me 262 A-3a?
>>
File: He 162 production.jpg (3MB, 4137x2747px) Image search: [Google]
He 162 production.jpg
3MB, 4137x2747px
>>35185341
Allied air supremacy was indeed crushing after the Normandy landings and the Soviet conquest of Romania (taking Germany's most important fuel supplier).
There was one major deployment of German airpower during this period that I can think of, Operation Bodenplatte. It was a failure with 1/3 losses, though, because of Hitlers decision to attack well defended airfields against the advice of Luftwaffe chief Adolf Galland.

The German planes most used on the Western front of '44-'45 were either late Bf 109 and Fw 190 versions or later also new models like the Me 262, Ar 234 and the He 162. Bombers (except for the fast and new Arado) stayed on the ground from 1944 due to a lack of fuel and the need to counter Allied warplanes.

Save for the Heinkel 162, all of the planes I mentioned were also used as fighter-bombers.
>>
>>35185600
Oh, and to counter Allied night bombing raids there were night fighters that were deployed such as the Bf 110 or Me 262 in their radar-equipped variants, the Heinkel 219 (a dedicated night fighter) and possibly the Junkers 88 with radar - not sure about this one.
>>
File: Ar 234.jpg (1MB, 2200x1464px) Image search: [Google]
Ar 234.jpg
1MB, 2200x1464px
>>35185664
The Arado jet bomber I spoke of.
>>
File: Me 262.jpg (170KB, 3000x1730px) Image search: [Google]
Me 262.jpg
170KB, 3000x1730px
>>35185688
The Me 262.
>>
File: Fw 190D.jpg (283KB, 1800x1196px) Image search: [Google]
Fw 190D.jpg
283KB, 1800x1196px
>>35185695
A late Fw 190 version.
>>
I think this could help you OP, if only to show the Luftwaffe flew more than people assume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGT7J_diIjA
>>
>>35185512
Are you sure? I've read multiple accounts of american troops saying they were attacked by stukas. Purple heart lane and that one bridge the germans tried to bomb with all they had for the longest time being two examples I think.
>>
File: He 219.jpg (2MB, 1618x884px) Image search: [Google]
He 219.jpg
2MB, 1618x884px
>>35185341
>>35185765
These might be interesting, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSEEZ1hxKJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtKIp6cEobU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et2pYsIYkWk

The channel has several goof WW2 documentaries, btw.

Pic related is the dedicated night fighter I mentioned.
>>
File: file.png (437KB, 391x600px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
437KB, 391x600px
>>35185341
Make it a Soviet Sherman.

>The leading Junkers completed his approach to the bomb run and went into a dive. At this moment, the driver-mechanic, Guards Sergeant Mikhail Korablin, drove the Sherman's bow up onto the high railway embankment. The long main gun tube was pointed into the sky, almost like an antiaircraft weapon. The lead aircraft continued its headlong dive. Behind him at normal intervals came the other bombers. Our hearts pounded with worry. Six in the air against one on the ground!

>The second, . . . the third. .. . Aircraft inexorably closed on Verbovoy's tank. When it seemed that nothing would save the Sherman from a direct hit by a series of bombs, its main gun went off with a roar. The tank shook and then backed down slightly. The first Ju-88 exploded in flight. The tankers' loud "Ura-a!" echoed through the forest.

>The instant destruction of the leading aircraft stunned the remaining enemy pilots. They broke off in various directions, hurriedly dropped their bombs where they fell, and, turning around sharply, flew off to the northwest. Enemy aircraft did not appear in the air the remainder of that day or in the following days. As it became clear several days later, a rumor was circulating among German soldiers and officers about the "super powerful antiaircraft guns of Russian tanks."
>>
>>35185341
ju87d and g, ju88a4 and beyond, bf110g, fw189, fw190a/f/d, ta152, bf109g6-k4, me262, he162, me 163, ar234, fi storch,
most other types were insignificant, me410 gets an honorable mention
>>
>>35186054
i forgot ju188, ju52, and other transports
>>
>>35185341
for ground attack fw190f8/9 would probably be the most common jabo
>>
OP here, thanks a lot for all that information. Will skim through and act accordingly.
Of course this will take some time, so please don't expect me to report back this year.
>>
Op here again. I think I will do a night fighter. I like the idea of those two operating in the same place but never meeting, like a rom com. The plane is the girl.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.