[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old Sword Identification

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0516.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0516.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Howdy /k/, I need help identifying this sword we found in my great grandad's house. I've tried searching through google and various sites but I only get the name "Militia Eagle Pommel Sword with Scabbard" and problem with that is it doesn't hold up when searching for it. Would appreciate some help.
>>
>>35185137
Either masonic , cadet or air service sword.
>>
>>35185137
actually, could be a US model 1860 staff sword
>>
>>35185175
Apparently, my great grandad was in WW2, but I don't think it's US made due to most of what I'm seeing are curved and this sword is straight.
>>
>>35185197
Well the 1860 staff sword was straight and looked like that, A staff sword wasnt really used, it was a ceremonial sword.

It is not a model 1850, nor a sabre, nor is it a mameluke sword.
>>
>>35185137
Do you have more pictures? Full length or any markings that you may find. Is the blade etched? More info is better
>>
>>35185137
http://neaca.com/item/1085

Looks like a generic pattern fraternal order sword.
>>
File: IMG_0517[1].jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0517[1].jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>35185453
take the sword out of the scabbard and photograph it in its entirety
>>
>>35185137
Cheapo wall hanger for some sort of fraternal lodge. You're not likely to get much further than that.
>>
File: IMG_0521[1].jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0521[1].jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>35185560
clean the carpet, man. sell that toy sword and buy a vacuum cleaner.
>>
>>35185597
thats why im trying to find out what it is silly
>>
The eagle headed pommel is actually a common component on US fraternal and masonic items. It features on a variety of cross hilter small/court swords utilised by the knight of Columbus, masonic orders such as Knights and Ladies of the Golden Eagle which were in fashion rom the 1860s to 1960s. It is not useful in identifying the sword. Identifying marks which further narrowing it down are usually in the centre of the crossguard at the junction of the blade and pommel. You only show on side the side the eagle is facing. Can you provide another of the reverse please?

Often these pommel components like the 'knights head' pommels were mass produced and used on a diverse range of dress swords. However in the case of that eagle they are usually from the USA, The lack of enhancements typical on a masonic e.g koc sword indicate a militia item or other off the shelf type. Another photo please.
>>
The American Fraternal Sword (Identification, Dating) by: Hamilton, Marino, Kaplan

ISBN: 1931464383

I don't collect fraternal swords but that book is your next step.

Early militia ones were worn and functional later ones less so.
Book Title: The American Fraternal Sword: An Illustrated Reference Guide
Author: John D. Hamilton, Joseph Marino, James Kaplan
Binding: Hard Cover
Copyright: 2008
Pages: 248
>>
No reply yet but at a guess a post US civil war militia fraternal sword rather than masonic(no symbols) or a Roman Catholic association (no cross). Lets see the back of it. The book above will id it by grip. Ames is one manufacturer that made many of these.
>>
See here if you ever come back

http://neaca.com/fraternal-swords-and-collectables
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.