[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is my upper receiver chipped?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_9420.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9420.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Just got my Daniel defense upper in the mail and I see this on the upper. Is it chipped or is that my 'tism flaring?
>>
Not a chip but definatly a defect. I wouldnt worry about it too much desu but that is me.
>>
>>35180708
It is fine. Stop being a bitch and trying to keep your rifle pristine as if it is a safe queen. Embrace the dents and dings it makes it know you love it. That love will carry you through the hard times that are quickly approaching.
>>
So yes, the roll pin was installed with more than a couple slips of the punch, and yes there seems to be a flaw in the surface. Your autism is still flaring, rifle is fine.
>>
You guys are seriously ok getting a premium upper with dents on it? Who knows what other damage is lurking
>>
File: IMG_9424.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9424.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Another view
>>
>>35180839
Get it replaced ASAP. Why would you keep something that's obviously damaged?
>>
Contact DD and let them know, they will fix it.
>>
>>35180708
shitty forging, surprised DD let that pass
>>
>>35180708
It's fine unless the inside is somehow fucked up and the carrier can't be pulled back....... in which case get It fixed. If it's just an asthetic flaw who the fuck cares go shoot it and gitgud. Instead of waiting like 2 weeks or more to get it replaced because it has a ding.
>>
>>35180708
looks like a forging or finishing issue. you'll be find
>>
>>35180807
if you can't function check an ar upper you are probably special and not in the mommy loves you very much way.
>>
>>35181088
Roasted
>>
>>35180839
That's a ding that should've been caught in manufacturing. Call them up, send some pics. Find out what the price difference with a blemished/seconds part is and see if you can get some spares or whatever to make up the difference. They should be more amenable to supplying goods rather than cash.
If they won't play ball, return it.
>>
>>35180708

As others have said it is most likely a guy who was off that day with the pin punch. Or it could be a minor casting flaw that wasn't deemed bad enough to warrant scraping.

As a machinist I'll say this. I would be ashamed to let it out of my shop if I was making it as a cosmetic thing (which most guns inherently are). But for the structural pieces that get painted, you should see the stuff we let out the door. We'll get cold roll steel with inch long 1/16" wide chips embedded in them from the mill that come out when we machine, leaves an ugly spot but doesn't impeded the function of the part so off it goes. Was probably the thought process here. Doesn't look the best but shit will still function fine.
>>
>>35180807
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'd RMA that thing back to DD in a heartbeat. If I was going to pay double on AR parts over other g2g reputation brands, I expect the thing to be flawless.
>>
>>35181154
This is the correct answer. If this was milsurp or turkshit who would care, but it's supposed to be a "nice" gun so it should not come to you with obvious defects, cosmetic or otherwise. I'd definitely unleash the inner jew and try to get some free swag because it isn't going to affect function (and sending it back means a delay in getting shit you already paid for) but fuck companies that want to charge more and still do this shit.

t. fell for the Arsenal AK meme and got both a canted scope rail and front sight post
>>
>>35181209
Is RMAing an upper a pain in the ass? I've never had this issue before and I'm shocked it's with a Daniel defense
>>
>>35181287
>I'm shocked it's with a Daniel defense

Not sure why you would be shocked DD just sells over priced shit to idiots that will pay for it DD fanboys are worse than Colt fanboys.
>>
File: 1487839855239.jpg (196KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1487839855239.jpg
196KB, 900x900px
>there are people who would actually be bent out of shape about this

Why don't you actually inspect something that actually fucking matters like
>BCG staking
>castle nut staking
>gas port sizing

I'm more worried about that notch in the castle nut that isn't staked. Y'all are dumb as fuck.

>WAHHHHH MY GUN WORKS PERFECTLY FINE BUT IT'S GOT A DING ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE FOWARD EJECTOR

like jesus fucking christ do you even shoot your guns. Here's some scary shit about the AR. The brass deflector will get scratched up the more you shoot it.
>>
>>35181313
DD is just one of the older AR manufacturers that were good quality. They don't make bad shit, but it isn't worth the price they ask now that there is so much competition out there that is nearly as good or better for much cheaper.
>>35181287
Depends on the company. If it's anything short of them sending you a prepaid shipping label, it's shitty CS from them.
>>
>>35181337
If you bought a factory new car would you be pissed if it came with a touched up stone chip on the hood?
>>
File: 1505530447321.jpg (600KB, 1637x1109px) Image search: [Google]
1505530447321.jpg
600KB, 1637x1109px
>Blue circle
Looks like sloppy work installing the forward assist retaining pin, the hammer slipped and hit the receiver. Not a problem, just ugly until you get a few of your own scratches on the gun.

>Orange triangle
Looks like a mistake in the forging. Almost certainly not a problem or indicative of a problem, but unusual and not expected, especially for a DD upper.

Out of curiosity, where did you buy the upper and how do you know it's Daniel Defense? Maybe somebody is trying to pass off some lesser quality upper and barrel with DD rail for a complete DD upper (I'm not a brand whore for them, it just seems weird).
>>
>>35181337
>spend $170,000 on a S-Class Maybach
>go to the dealership to pick it up
>huge dent in the bumper
>demand they take care of it
"It's just a car bro, it's meant to be driven around. You going to ding up the bumper anyway, no need to get all bent out of shape"
>>
>>35180724
He literally just got it, you drunk.
>>
>>35181387
>the car analogy
A car FUNCTIONS AS a status symbol. It helps you start your family by attracting a mate, and it can also help you feed your family by impressing your business contacts. A gun functions as a tool for killing bad guys. Some people might view them as a status symbol, but they only function that way if you're super insecure when you go to the shooting range and need to show off to strangers.

>>35181337
>I'm more worried about that notch in the castle nut that isn't staked. Y'all are dumb as fuck.
The castle nut has like three notches, though. You only need to stake one of them, and we can't see the other two in that photo.
>>
>>35181359
Thank you for the excellent assessment. I ordered it off gunbroker from a dealer in Missouri. I talked to them over the phone and It didn't seem off. The box and packaging seemed consistent with all the other DD stuff I've bought in the past.
>>
>>35181337
Calm your titties. The castle nut is staked.
>>
>>35181467
> the gun analogy
A gun FUNCTIONS AS a status symbol. It helps you start your family by attracting a mate, and it can also help you feed your family by impressing your business contacts and taking down game. A car functions as a tool for transporting all guys. Some people might view them as a status symbol, but they only function that way if you're super insecure when you go to the lot meet and need to show off to strangers
>>
>>35180708
Why is your lower soaked? degrease that shit man.
>>
>>35181515
You AR isn't good to go unless it's dripping wet with hot CLP.
>>
fuck that shit
if you're going to shell out for a DD send it back
maybe they'll give you some free shit
>>
>>35181467
What the fuck are you on about you sperg. Manufacturing is manufacturing, unless otherwise stated (blems, seconds) you're a fucking retard if you accept goods with manufacturing defects.
>>
>>35180724
Well it's a Daniel defense, so it basically is a safe queen
>>
>>35181574
He's what, we in the business refer to as, a rube.
>>
Does daniel defense even make their lowers? I thought only 2-3 companies forged them, and other companies subcontract them. So when you get a "DD upper", it just means that some guy at DD assembled it.
>>
File: 1499541145499.jpg (13KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
1499541145499.jpg
13KB, 260x194px
>>35180950
>>
>>35181504
>A gun FUNCTIONS AS a status symbol. It helps you start your family by attracting a mate, and it can also help you feed your family by impressing your business contacts and taking down game.
>Some people might view them as a status symbol, but they only function that way if you're super insecure when you go to the lot meet and need to show off to strangers
You are incoherent.
>>
>>35181574
>What the fuck are you on about you sperg.
I explained what I'm "on about" in my post. Did you bother to read it before chimping out online?
>Manufacturing is manufacturing, unless otherwise stated (blems, seconds) you're a fucking retard if you accept goods with manufacturing defects.
As if you're some kind of manufacturing expert? No, sweetie. You aren't.
>>
>>35181621
I copied what you wrote and simply swapped gun and car. And yes, I agree that you are a babbling idiot.
>>
>>35181632
>You aren't
But I am, and when some arsehole rolls up in a Bently for a meeting, all I ever think is "we're not charging these cunts enough".
>>
you need to receive some uppers..

http://www.armslist.com/inside?utm_source=c000032&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p394691

http://www.armslist.com/contests?utm_source=c000032&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p394691

http://www.armslist.com/blog/gear?utm_source=c000032&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p394691
>>
>>35181661
What do you mean?
>>
>>35180708
Not a question to OP, but to the other anons, How do you know this is a daniel defence reciever?
How would I know?
>>
>>35181686
how can you type but not read?
>>
>>35181686
Well, the OP said it was, and I don't really see any ulterior motive for him to lie about it. But if you are wondering in general, DD usually has brand etchings on the side opposite of the ejection port.
>>
>>35181652
You don't even understand that what you wrote is contradictory. I presented an argument. All you said in response was like what a kindergartener would do, just repeating what you heard back to the person who said it, but you cocked it up and made an ass of yourself.
>>
>>35181655
>arsehole
Hi, Brit noguns.
>>
>>35181791
Whatever you have to tell yourself to keep on truckin' pal.
>>
>>35181467
>A car FUNCTIONS AS a status symbol.
As do high end ARs. You're literally paying double for some extra rollmarks, if you're willing to do that and accept shoddy workmanship and blemishes then I have a bridge to sell you.
>>
>>35181686
In this case it would be a shockingly good con. The packaging looks identical to other DD products I have, including the extra stickers and shit they throw in.
Plus it has DD etchings all over it.
>>
>>35181827
>As do high end ARs.
How?
>>
>>35181621
>Quoting wholesale but omitting the line in the middle that changes the subject of the following sentence from gun to car
>Then acting like it was never there
What a disingenuous little shit you are.
>>
>>35181802
>Whatever you have to tell yourself to keep on truckin' pal.
The call of the man who's run out of arguments.
>>
>>35181861
>the line in the middle that changes the subject of the following sentence from gun to car
You're thinking way too highly of your writing.
>>
>>35181861
Let's stop feeding the retard. He'll tucker himself out soon enough.
>>
>>35181858
By being functionally identical to any other AR on the market, but having "prestigious" rollmarks like DD, Larue or Noveske that command 2000+ dollar pricetags. There is no added functionality, just epeen and status. Is this not obvious?
>>
>>35181827
>>A car FUNCTIONS AS a status symbol.
>As do high end ARs
>>35181899
>There is no added functionality
Why do you keep posting utter nonsense?
>>
File: 1479095490989.jpg (21KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
1479095490989.jpg
21KB, 427x427px
Is your fucking end plate backwards?
>>
>>35181923
I'm pretty sure that's a QD plate.
>>
File: IMG_9419.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9419.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>35181923
No, it's a QD end plate. Here's the upper and lower mated since we're talking so much about this specific raifu. Sorry for the weird way my phone flipped it
>>
>>35181359
Do you mind if I use that pic to email DD? I think emailing them makes more sense than the gun dealer. The packaging was all intact and based on the /k/ forensics you've done I think it's safe to say this is a manufacturing issue not a shipping one.
>>
>>35182056
>Do you mind if I use that pic to email DD?
Yeah, but you don't need my permission. It's literally your picture that you took.
>>
>>35182200
And I mean "yeah, of course you can use it." Not "yeah, I mind." But again, you don't need my permission.
>>
>>35182212
Don't hate on this proper gentleman.
>>
>>35181337
>FOWARD EJECTOR
n o g u n z
>>
>>35182246
God damn it.
>>
>>35180708
>Daniel defense upper
Out of curiosity what upper, anon? I just bought a DD rifle but haven't shot it yet.
>>
>>35180708
>blem dd upper

psa blems take a keen eye to find and are discounted. not saying they're better but DD should take a page from psa
>>
>>35182311
V7. I like the design and it's very light. My only gripe is the pictures defect thus far
>>
>>35182373
>V7
Nice! very sleek. I went a little old school with the V1LW. Defect aside hope you enjoy it man.
>>
>>35182200
Yes but your superimposed diagrams will help make my email that much more compelling
>>
>>35181337
>The brass deflector will get scratched up the more you shoot it.
Not if you put electrical tape on it :^)
>>
>>35180950
that's if it was gifted to him.
He allegedly paid full price, may it be 1 dollar or 1000, for a flawless item, and is not getting what he paid for. Simple as that.
>>
>>35180807
>DD
>premium
Lol anon.
>>
>>35183914
Exactly. I could live with it if I paid blem prices. I got a good deal for it but it was never advertised as a blem. I don't even think DD sells blems
>>
>>35181467
You know that people (read mostly dictators) buy overly classy and expensive guns as a status symbol too right? Everybody does. Dropping 4K on a high end Gibson or PRS guitar. Sure you get higher levels of craftsmanship, just as you would with buying a high end AR or car, though it's also because it looks fucking awesome and people will admire it.
>>
>>35184007
Why not both? Search "Holland & Holland Range Rover".
>>
>>35181800
Oh no... he's British, that means he can't have an opinion on manufacturing!

Wow you're fucking retarded.
>>
Call DD, I'm sure they'll replace it, they are generally really good about this sort of thing.
>>
>>35181678
He's trying to win that Armslist giveaway. He's been doing this all month.

Send it back to DD, OP. My rifle has none of those defects.
>>
>>35184014
Oh Jesus. That's the kind of thing my boss would have. As opposed to my families beaten up farm Land Rover and old double barrels.

That's ridiculous luxury. Though I imagine incredible amounts of man hours went into it

Cheers for pointing me at that, never knew H&H did something with range rovers.
>>
>>35184019
>Oh no... he's British, that means he can't have an opinion on manufacturing!
I mean, have you seen British products? He kind of can't.
>>
>>35183953

>1700 dollar ars
>Not premium

It's not an LMT but cmon now
>>
>>35183953
Nice fit and finish, CHF barrel. Sounds pretty premium.
>>
>>35184030
They're pretty nice, but it you rock up in one you're fundamentally doing it wrong and probably an Arab who's going to swing his fucking barrels across the entire gun line. Real money has the same beat to shit D90 you do.

>>35184033
I can almost guarantee you're within 5 miles of something made by my firm that you're using right now.
>>
>>35184033
you don't have to like them, you can't be disingenuous about their products though. Just posts above you're looking at H&H/RangeRover luxury cars, you've got H&H, Jaguar, BAE, Rolls Royce are doing lots of aerospace works etc. Just saying, i don't like the Koreans but that doesn't mean that they're shit at electronics...
>>
>>35184061
Very true, I used to help my ex girlfriend with her horses she kept on a family friends land. The fucker had millions and a very very nice house and land in Surrey. He did his own land work and wore only cheap shirts and tatty cargo shorts. There's a difference between those with money and those with bling.
>>
>>35184243
Did your ex bang him?
>>
File: IMG_9336.jpg (80KB, 294x674px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9336.jpg
80KB, 294x674px
>>35183953
DD is a premium brand. Is this post bait?
>>
>>35184054
>>35184274
I think he may have been saying that in the AR market, there's really no difference other than rollmarks
>>
>>35184061
Sure I am.
>>35184064
H&H can't fail because nothing they do is cutting edge. Rolls Royce and BAE are exceptions to the rule, though. Jaguar? Land Rover? Don't even pretend those are total trash along with every other British automaker.
>>
>>35180724

You missed the part where he said he just got it brand new, jiggaboo.
>>
>American Quality Control

China does a better job checking vaccuformed brooms than US gunsmiths and manufacturers do checking their own products.
>>
>>35184566
no they don't
>>
>>35184007
Sure, I concede that point. Are you telling me that you're a dictator?
>>
>>35180839
That's a weird bubble. I'd put in a ticket and have them send me a new one
>>
>>35184566
Lolwhat. Get a Chinese pacemaker put inside you and see how that works out for you
>>
>>35184566
In general, not by a long shot. I concede their are exceptions. Good one that comes to mind is S&W churning out M&P's as fast as they can leading up to POTUS elections. They did it 5 years ago, and QC was practically nonexistent because they were profiting on fear. They did the same thing last year expecting Hilldog to easily claim victory, but that didn't happen and the gun slump fucked them instead. I feel bad for all the people jumping on these "steals" from S&W, because they are going to fall apart in just a few hundred rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if DD was doing the same thing.
>>
>>35188903
American gun manufacturers have become such shit. I unironically think HK is the last respectable gun maker.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.