[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Hilter abandon the paratrooper idea after one failed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5314.jpg (25KB, 170x267px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5314.jpg
25KB, 170x267px
Why did Hilter abandon the paratrooper idea after one failed insertion?
>>
Same reason I gave up on your mom after one failed insertion
Costly, messy, smelled like death
>>
>>35174790
Money/supplies and the fact that they were getting slaughtered in the air and needed ground forces/troops more than specilized Air assets.
>>
>>35174790
>after one failed insertion?
Two very costly deployments, in fact: Netherlands and Crete. It wasn't worth the losses. One of the very few sane decisions of Hitler.
>>
Didn't every countries military abandon this idea as well?
>>
>>35175015
VEH DEH VEH
SNYEBA PRIVYET
>>
>>35175015
I don't know about other countries, but I know for a fact that Germany and the US do have paratroopers... I suspect other competent armies have them as well...
>>
>>35174790
The Germans barely won The Battle of Crete that cost them a good chunk of their air transport fleet just before Barbarossa. It was a strategic mistake that could have turned in a disaster if the British leadership hadn't been totally inept.

> 1,915 dead
> 1,759 missing
> 2,000 wounded
> 284 Luftwaffe aircraft destroyed or written off and several hundred damaged
>>
>>35175575
This. They didn't so much fail as take unacceptable casualties. The paratrooper idea wasn't abandoned, just 100% Paras to fight large scale. Were still used in combined attacks, as well as special operations like rescuing Mousseline.
>>
Hitler had a micropenis and excessive risk aversion
>>
>>35174790
Well because paratroopers are useless, that's why.
The airborne insertion had literally zero effect on whether or not the Normandy invasion would be successful.
>>
>>35175040
have them so they can do it but strategically they only have one use. which is a preemptive insertion deep in north korea
>>
>>35175689
The French used them quite effectively in Mali, the key is to not to drop them directly over the enemy.
>>
>>35174790
WWII paratrooper doctrine was all fucked up, all about being light and shit. the heaviest thing they had were plastic explosive grenades, they lacked all heavy weapons and even GMPGs. a platoon of regulars could stonewall them if they weren't surprised. Looking back the doctrine could have been adopted to having guys trained to use captured MGs but its alot easier to jump with anti tank and anti armour stuff and fall a little heavy
>>
>>35175729
doesn't really count against rebels with no air defense. its not like they had the element of surprise anyway the whole world knew they were coming which is not the point of paratroopers
>>
>folks posting that paratroopers are pointless
Paratroopers have a few limited but extremly strategically important uses.
The major one is capturing Airports in enemy territory to gain better air control.
>>
>>35175764
>implying that's not better done with a helicopter/osprey insertion
>>
>>35174806
fucking smoked
>>
>>35175689
>The airborne insertion had literally zero effect on whether or not the Normandy invasion would be successful.
Having 10,000 light infantry behind the fortifications had zero effect? Right. Explain.
>>
>>35175675
this
fuck Nazis and fuck white people
>>
>>35175764
having divisions trained to do that is pointless. at most a couple battalions. the 82nd and 173rd are relics. the attached airborne units to 10th mountain and the 25th are more useful.
>>
>>35174790
Because Hitler was an autist who didnt understand
military tactics. Paratroopers can have heavy losses but, but, it was mostly axis tactics that caused the failure at Crete. Basically drop with your weapons a good distance away.
>>
>>35175791
Don't you reference me antifaggot
It's unfortunate Hitler wasn't usurped by one of his more capable generals so the reich could last to modern day and we wouldn't be in the current state of affairs we are in.
>>
>>35175689
I'm going to have to disagree with you. Even though the paratrooper drops were wildly disorganized and had major casualties, they totally disrupted the Germans' logistical support. Having troops miles inland made it very difficult for the Germans to move supplies and troops around freely in the first 24 hours after the invasion. When we're talking about defending against an invasion force that's 1.3 million troops strong, being able to resupply troops, tanks and artillery at will is vital and airborne troops played a big role in preventing that. Also consider the amount of intel these troops could gather on enemy positions and could then relay to incoming allied forces as they met up with them. Gun nests, artillery emplacements, troop concentrations, supply dumps, all of it already mapped out a day or three in advance for when armor and engineers show up. Essentially, sacrificing the paratroopers to gather this information was a calculated loss to protect more specialized assets that couldn't be dropped from planes. While I can agree, they may not have made a huge impact in terms of inflicting enemy casualties, I believe their strategic value is being vastly overlooked.
>>
>>35175844
While I agree with your point overall. I don't think they exactly had great radio communication due to the battery/radio/ruggedization technology of the time so intel gathering may be overstated. They may have had a company wide radio or two for important calls but I would put the reliability of even those at long range as low.
>>
>>35175844
adding to that after they drop and were reabsorbed they were some of the best trained and motivated troops. Just the pure 2 years of training time made them superior to most of their enemies.
>>
>>35175791
Bad bait. Just leave
>>
>>35175844
WWII/korea was the last conventional war you could pull that off though. decent AA and satellite recon makes the cost benefit too high fast response arty with an idea of the jump zone from RADAR will ruin a DZ
>>
>>35175869
You're absolutely correct, radio communication was almost nonexistent in the first days of the invasion. I meant that, as armored columns, engineers, bridge builders and the like made their way inland, they could meet up with airborne units that had been in the area for the previous day or two and taken casualties from enemy emplacements, and those units could have valuable information about said enemy assets. Even something as simple as, "hey, don't try to drive that column over bridge 'X', Nazis have it rigged to blow and have two gun nests and an 88 hidden on the other side. As soon as the first tank hits soil on the far side, their gonna blow that bitch and lay into us" is vital info for an advancing force.
>>
>>35175948
Well put. The reconnaissance aspect of paratrooper forces was quite important
>>
>>35175948
>>35175869
Doesn't that mean that they got basically zero chance of getting supplies? Sure, picking up anything German they can find is alright but was there no general supply plan?
>>
>>35174790
Because Hitler was a fucking idiot who only succeeded as much as he did because he had good generals. Same goes for FDR.
>>
>>35176064
Except that both, the Netherlands and Crete proved that there was a serious problem with the paratrooper doctrine. You can spam "Hitler was a fucking idiot" 6 million times if you wish but it will not change the fact that serious thinking regarding the role of the paratrooper had to happen. Putting a hold on further operations made perfect sense until R&D/doctrinal changes were made.
>>
>>35175659
>Mousseline
lmao burger education i presume
>>
>>35175844
I'm not trying to so they didn't have value in that sense, I'm saying that them being there genuinely had no impact on whether or not Normandy was going to be a success. The logistical chain, and overwhelming force verses what the Germans were able to deploy against the Allied forces made the invasion a forgone conclusion.

But I suppose if you take the stance that it's a calculated loss then I could see the value, but I wouldn't really say that makes them particularly useful.
>>
He lost control of the Air Space over Europe
>>
>Why did Hitler abandon paras
>people arguing about the effect paras had in the Normandy landings
Never change.
>>
>>35176060
They were dropped with supplies (including certain light vehicles like jeeps or small artillery pieces) using gliders towed by planes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspeed_Horsa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_CG-4

Admittedly this resulted in situations where even fairly large groups would be cut off by chance from their supply drops and would be rendered unable to capture them thanks to even minimal enemy resistance since they'd lack their heavy weapons or enough ammo to make use of what they had.

On the other hand, it was a effective way of getting shit down and enabled them to have stuff that would otherwise have been far harder to get. Such as in the below linked operation where six batalions were deployed with two artilery pieces, two jeeps and two trailers in order to secure a vital bridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Deadstick

As to them receiving resupply after landing? It might have been the case that they'd have pre-planned resupply drops but without radio communications as others have said, it wouldn't have been possible to get more.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.