[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could a bullet that is filled with fuel instead of gunpowder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: ammo_rifle_handgun_cartridges.jpg (28KB, 250x487px) Image search: [Google]
ammo_rifle_handgun_cartridges.jpg
28KB, 250x487px
Could a bullet that is filled with fuel instead of gunpowder work?

Not going to lie, I have 0 experience with guns and this is for research for a fantasy novel set in our world
>>
>>35174051
gunpowder is unironically a fuel. you are thinking of fuel in a very narrow sense.
>>
File: 1502685899084.gif (480KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
1502685899084.gif
480KB, 493x342px
>>35174051
Lol
>>
>>35174051
In short. No.
>>
Wellll... gunpowder IS fuel?
You mean a liquid?
>>
>>35174051
No, you dummy.
>>
>>35174062
Liquid gas. The one you use in cars. Petrol I think that you call it in your language
>>
>>35174076
Gasoline perhaps?
>>
>>35174051
liquid fuel burns slowly. if you could first atomize it, like in a car engine for example, it could work (still would need to calculate expansion etc.). but liquid fuel, no, absolutely not. nevermind the problems with sealing the liquid in there.
>>
>>35174051
fuel needs oxygen to burn, and to explode at the rate that gunpowder does it needs to be intimately mixed with that oxygen. In the case of nitrocellulose smokeless gunpowder, the oxygen is actually part of the fuel already.
>>
>>35174076
petrol is what the Brits call it, Americans call it gas.
>>
>>35174076
>>35174080
Well seeing as I am american, I call it Gasoline.

Gunpowder is a fuel you twat.
>>
>>35174090

everyone look at this pedant and laugh
>>
>>35174083
Some britt ( I think) invented a beanbag/rubber bullet gun (less lethal) that is powered by oxygen and propane. It uses a rangefinder to calculate the amount of fuel needed to strike the target with the required number of joules at the required distance. That way it won't kill at close range but tickle at long range, like current fixed-charge rubber bullets. Tippman also makes a propane combustion powered paintball gun but it's pump action. There are nail guns that use propane and oxygen, they even have a little fan to mix the fuel/air mixture before igniting it.
>>
>>35174102
Now that is some cool engineering.
>>
Thing is. In my book I want to add some daemon hunters that can enchant weapons. The older the materials they use the better, so they use wild west revolvers and I was thinking of them using gas instead of gunpowder because gas is basically lĂ­quid dinosaurs and hence old and easy to enchant. Is it all really a retarded idea?
>>
>>35174114
I can't imagine a plausible way to make wild west revolvers run off gasoline. But I'm a cold pragmatist with no imagination, you could make any plot device you want and have it sound half decent to your target audience, if you're a good writer.
>>
>>35174114
Just have them use flamethrowers then, with dinosaur ghosts erupting from the fire and the flame.
>>
The Gyrojet basically was a fuel round. The traditional cartridge powder design won't work because the liquid does not spontaneously ignite. Gyrojet rounds were launched when ignited and they stabilized and burned in mid flight. Really fast after 25ft but it will bounce off something at 5ft.
>>
>>35174114
Well most oil isn't dinosaurs but plants
>>
File: 9356834745.jpg (491KB, 1915x1007px) Image search: [Google]
9356834745.jpg
491KB, 1915x1007px
>>35174114
>The older the materials they use the better, so they use wild west revolvers

Just like in my Demon Apocalypse Survival video game (PC).
>>
You don't seem to know how an internal combustion engine works either. For something like gasoline to combust explosively it has to be finely dispersed in air or oxygen gas. Good luck getting it to stay that way in a cartridge.

Then there's the issue that explosives and propellants aren't just chemical mixtures that are prone to rapidly releasing a lot of energy. They are also chemicals/mixtures that want to be solid or liquid at the temperatures we use them at, and then rapidly convert to stuff that wants to be gasses instead. Since gasses have maybe 1/1000 the density of liquids and solids, turning a liquid/solid into gas means it suddenly want to take up a thousand times as much space as it did, and will start pushing against everythign around to make room for itself. That's great if you wan to push a bullet away. With a gasoline+air mix, not only do we need a huge amount of space for all that air to begin with, but we also get less extra gasses out of the deal, reducing efficiency. Compressing the contents of the case a lot can help, but then every cartridge needs to be a compressed gas canister. Heavy, absolutely gas tight, and prone to violent self destruction if damaged or overheated. Things like gasoline+air mixtures will also tend to ignite on their own if compressed too much (that's the octane rating), so you can't take this all that far. And if you do run something that can be compressed until it's all liquid, then those liquids may decide to separate out form each other and ruin the combustion performance that way. It isn't for nothing that we use gunpowder instead.

So you're not gonna fill a bullet like this. You could have a combustion chamber fed from separate gas flasks and pop the bullet in on its own, but don't expect much performance out of that, >>35174102
>>
>>35174114
>Is it all really a retarded idea?

It is.

>>35174162
The solid fuel there is basically a propellant just like gunpowder. It might even have been gunpowder, but a solid chunk instead of small pellets.
>>
>>35174114
But you're not talking about enchanting the weapon, you're talking about enchanting the propellant of a bullet. Which makes the least sense of all three.

Maybe enchant the bullets instead. You know, the thing that actually hits the demons. Jacketed bullets could be filled with various materials. The round's propellant and the gun are just implements for delivering bullets.
>>
>>35174114
Black gunpowder is charcoal, sulfur and saltpeter. Technically both black powder and gas are processed, but BGP is also made of "very old" ingredients
>>
>>35174051
Short answer, no. Liquid fuel does not work like that.

Long answer, it's your story dude. Do whatever the fuck you want. Hell, have them enchant flasks of petroleum and mix them together with large batches of powder. Boom, problem solved.
>>
>>35174114
>The older the materials they use the better
Since it's just the materials why revolvers?
Does refining materials make them worse for enchanting?
Wouldn't the above logic apply to petrol?
>>
>>35174215
This. Have them make their own gunpowder using charcoal made from ancient organisms
>>
>>35174051
It will work and blow your face
>>
>>35174076
Gunpowder (and modern smokeless powders) work because they bring their own oxidizer along. Gasoline doesn't, it burns with air.

A liquid-fueled cartridges would need something more like bipropellant rocket fuel, hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide. Unfortunately those are incredibly toxic
>>
Why can't they design a new centerfire .22 pistol cartridge but with a tiny case filled with high explosive instead of gunpowder?

The market is begging for a new pistol cartridge combining tiny cases and rifle velocity.
>>
>>35174114
>The older the materials they use the better, so they use wild west revolvers and I was thinking of them using gas instead of gunpowder because gas is basically lĂ­quid dinosaurs and hence old and easy to enchant.

So the older the better, and you use a gun that's less than two hundred years old along with fuel that's a few hundred million years old, at best?

I'll just strap a four and a half billion years old chunk of meteorite to a stick and rule forevermore as the immortal sorcerer-king of all creation.
>>
>>35174314
Hey retard, smokeless gunpowder already is a high explosive with moderants that limit the detonation velocity. Make it burn faster and you have a hand removal device.
>>
>>35174051
Gunpowder is mix of solid fuel and oxidizer.
So mix of fuel with air can work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TNSUIsjdpY
>>
>>35174366
No, it isn't. To be categorized as HE, a material has to have a burn rate greater than the speed of sound WITHOUT mechanical assistance (cartridge case). Smokeless doesn't meet this criteria and thus is a low explosive. It does not chemically detonate, it deflagrates.
>>
>>35174355
>>35174114
If meteorite works then he needs to write in the Big Bang Pistols.
2 Identical 1911 pistols made out of one soild chunk of meteorite by Cabot Guns
>>
>>35174402
>Gunpowder is mix of solid fuel and oxidizer.

Black powder is a mix of fuel and oxidizer.

Nitrocellulose, the main thing in smokeless powder, is a single compound that decomposes violently instead.
>>
>>35174403
Are you misunderstanding on purpose or what. Some smokeless gunpowders have *components* that are high explosives. RDX and nitroguanidine specifically. Like I said, they are slowed down for a reason. Replacing gunpowder with pure HE would only destroy your weapon.
>>
>>35174429
Nitrocellulose is chemical mix of fuel and oxidizer :^) where fuel is separated from oxidizer by N atoms
>>
>The older the materials they use the better
>half billion years old chunk of meteorite
>>35174411
got a point there
buy what standard are we going?
the atoms in any metal were made by fusion in a star billions of years ago
>>
>>35174456
and ALL matter that was fused buy that star was made in the big bang at the start of time and the universe
>>
>>35174411
Just don't shoot them. Normally the crystalline grains in iron are maybe a few hundred microns across. In this case the large "fields" you can see are different crystal grains. The strength of the material increases (up to a limit where nano-scale effects kick in, normally not relevant) with decreasing grain size. And on top of that we're looking at an unhardenable iron-nickel alloy.
>>
>>35174456
>>35174463
Magic in (bad) fiction rarely makes any sense from scientific standpoint. When it does, it's often written by a hard scifi writers exploring different genres.
>>
>>35174105
He was promptly arrested for having a weapon and being white.
>>
Okay so it's quite obvious that gasoline needs oxygen to burn so how about we reload these gasoline rounds in a pure oxygen atmosphere, with a high pressure so that more oxygen gets put into the case and only use so much gasoline that the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio is reached. Or maybe use liquid oxygen and gasoline.
>>
>>35174051
liquid-fuel:air mix propellant guns have been constantly experimented with (in ship-based applications, not small arms) but never delivered. same with HE propellant guns. pretty sure they've both since been abandoned in favor of railguns as the next great hope.
>>
File: OPEN ROAD CARRY.jpg (76KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
OPEN ROAD CARRY.jpg
76KB, 720x960px
>>35174051

As a general rule, if you have a "would X work?" type question and X is not a thing that already exists in the real world, the answer is "no".
>>
>>35174076
This is obviously what gas operated firearms are
>>
>>35174051
Yeah, it'd probably lob it out like a paintball :^)
>>
>>35174616
You're talking about making a monopropellant by just mixing liquid fuel and oxygen

It'll work, but it's be so unstable that it'll explode if you cough at it.

Find a copy of "Ignition!" by John Drury Clark, this is a really interesting subject to read up on and he's the expert
>>
>>35174051
>OP wants a gas powered weapon
Why not get a flamethrower dummy :D
>>
File: 1490805732539.jpg (30KB, 413x370px) Image search: [Google]
1490805732539.jpg
30KB, 413x370px
Better question: Would powdered magnesium work as a propellant or would it not produce enough expanding gas to be effective?
>>
>>35174076
Gasoline is only flamable when in vapor form.
Filling a cartridge with gasoline will do jack shit. Might as well fill it with water
>>
>>35174439
Nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose comprise the bulk of most smokeless powders and they certainly are high explosives
>>
A buddy of mine blew his finger off when he filled a cartridge with flash powder instead of gunpowder.
>>
>>35174051
There was one. It wasn't successful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98c2t_uK5Uo
>>
>>35175471
A tank of gasoline with some air in it wont explode if you cough at it tho, a tiny bit of pressure eint gonna change that.
>>
God I hate Gamers
>>
>>35174087
People* call it gas
>>
File: 1502616034608.jpg (42KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1502616034608.jpg
42KB, 600x450px
>>35174051
Hypergolics like hydrozine and nitrogen tetroxide could work, but would corrode the shit out of your gun
>>
>>35174076
The solid state is considered the most condensed phase, barring few exceptions
Hence why space rockets carry solid and liquid fuels vs conventional liquids and gaseous fuels
Solids are effectively incompressible (as are most liquids) bit moreso than liquids, though I imagine sublimating fuels and volatile liquids would make poor packing solution in a cartridge
Hence solid, well behaved powders were/are the natural best evolution for propellant
That and the fact that the earliest propellants had to be stored in satchels/paper wrapping
>>
>>35176602
>gasoline powered flamethrower
A glorified torch
The goal is to project fire
Not make fireballs a few ft in front
>>
File: f48.png (107KB, 1210x1016px) Image search: [Google]
f48.png
107KB, 1210x1016px
I can't believe I'm the 1st to post this screenshot ITT. You disappoint me /k/.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.