[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ballistics unequivocally demonstrate that .22 magnum is most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_0316.png (253KB, 470x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0316.png
253KB, 470x300px
Ballistics unequivocally demonstrate that .22 magnum is most adequate, low recoil self defense round on the market. 12 shot smith & wesson revolver, what could be better? all you retards who carry 9mm or .40 and experience comparatively significant and unwieldy recoil are wasting your time. if you carried and practiced with a 22mag or even 22lr revolver, your shooting skills would improve tenfold. you're a bunch of fucking mall ninjas.
>>
>>35172897

Don't be a moron
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 232x217px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 232x217px
>9mm
>significant and unwieldy recoil
>>
>>35172906
>comparitively
you forgot to read
>>
>>35172897
Here's a question right up your alley. For a .22lr/.22wmr should I get a ruger single six or a heritage rough rider? I want a ~6in barrel and adjustable sights and am torn between these two options...
>>
>>35172952
>buying a ruger, ever
>>
>>35172901
>12 shots of 22mag with no recoil is bad for self defense
no u
>>
>>35172897

I do agree that .22mag is pretty good for self defense, but that revolver isn't 12 shots, it's 7 shots of .22mag

The thing I like about my .38 snub nose is the loading versatility.

From 90 grain no recoil, to 125 grain +p, to 180grain wadcutters or +p hardcasts. I work at a Zoo and if a god damn Gorilla or Tiger escapes, I want a 180 grain +P hardcast over a 45 grain 22mag.

Against people though... 22 mag is legit but self defense situations are always different and you might need to shoot through cover you never know
>>
>not buying every ruger, ever
>>
>>35172897
Rimfire is a drastically inferior priming method compared to boxer priming with regards to ignition reliability
>>
>>35172965

Not him but... What's wrong with Ruger? They make the toughest revolvers on the market. Notice I didn't say BEST, just toughest as in durable
>>
>>35172984

On a revolver this is even less of an issue seeing as how if it doesn't go off you pull the trigger again.

And, when is the last time a .22lr didn't go off? I can't think of a single time in my 17 years of shooting. Id imagine it's even less of an issue with .22mag
>>
>>35172979
prove you work at a zoo

>>35172984
wrong

>>35172987
>toughest revolvers on the market
you have no idea why you say that. you literally just heard somebody else say that, and then you repeated it. you read it somewhere. i can tell you working in firearms retail the only guns we have less problems with and WORSE QC is sig, and I'm not kidding, and I'm not only talking about the p320.
>>
File: original.jpg (31KB, 720x464px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
31KB, 720x464px
"Oh shit, lookout. That guy's wearing body armor!"
>>
>>35172897
Gay.

>>35172924
Still gay.

>>35172952
The Ruger Single Six will outlast the Heritage Rough Rider by far, on top of having miles nicer fit and finish.

>>35172965
Extremely gay.

>>35172975
I'd pick a .38 or .32 snub any day.
.22Mag would easily lose speed against denim and absolutely have issue with bone (shielding arm, ribs, sternum, etc), the bullet is way light and doesn't have the speed needed to make up for this, especially not from a snub revolver.

There's more to terminal ballistics than penetrating gelatine.

>>35172987
He is shitposting.
>>
>>35172997
I had 3 or 4 duds in a box of Wolf Match Grade .22LR that otherwise is great and holds about .5-.75" groups at 50 yards in my CZ455.

I have never had a failure of any kind with my Glock 17 with 147gr Federal HST I carry and cycle out monthly/bimonthly and practice with 147gr Speer Lawman making up about 75% of my practice ammo with Magtech/S&B/American Eagle/etc mixed in.

Lifetime have probably 6000 rounds through the 17, and under 2000 through my 455.
>>
>>35172997
>doesn't go off
>pulls trigger again
>squib
>round goes off 2 seconds later
>chamber not aligned with barrel
>kaboom
>goodbye fingers
double strike capability is a meme
>>
File: 1504733224954.jpg (8KB, 189x257px) Image search: [Google]
1504733224954.jpg
8KB, 189x257px
>>35172979

> might need to shoot through cover

If you are shooting through it then it is by definition concealment, not cover.
>>
>>35173030
>glock
>pulls trigger
>mag falls out
>insert new mag
>rebuild grip on top of slide sto
>pew
>slide locks back
>double feed
>drop mag out
>tap n rack
>get shot by 22mag
>>
>>35173028
You are now aware that as a medium ballistics gelatin provides a baseline for comparing calibers and is not reflective of the human body as a medium.

"Calibrated" ballistics gelatin means it is of a density and composition as such that a BB at a specific velocity I cannot remember penetrates 4". At that same velocity, the BB will break human skin. As such, human skin is equivalent to roughly 4" of penetration of ballistics gelatin. 12-18" in ballistics gelatin does not mean 12-18" of penetration through the human body.

You are right, there's more to terminal ballistics than gel tests, but you also appear to have a very limited understanding of what gel testing is meant to achieve.
>>
>>35173051
But I have never had any of those happen, as previously stated by someone else enjoy your >>35173038 squib or hangfire you didn't account for in your troglodytic manual of Arms you apparently have mastered with your rimfire revolver.
>>
>>35173009
>I work in firearms retail
For all the stories about dumb shits regurgitating fuddlore and cawadoody to clerks who know better, there's a story about a dumb shit clerk giving the same retarded advice and trying to pawn off something to a customer they don't need.

Suggesting a .22Mag snub is the best of the best certainly makes you sound like the former, but I don't put much stock in you telling the truth anyway.

>>35173038
To be fair, you're probably carrying some really shit ammo if you get squibs.

>>35173060
That's exactly what I'm fucking getting at you little gremlin.

You sound like someone who saw a geltest on youtube and stopped considering right there.

Can .22Mag have enough penetration to matter? Yes, but that's still ignoring the exceptionally light projectile, on top of the inherently poorer reliabity of rimfire.
That .22Mag snub could absolutely work and save your life, but don't pretend for a second that it's "the best".
>>
>>35172897
.22 has probably taken more bad guys down than any other round in history
>>
File: 1504082515122.gif (44KB, 400x204px) Image search: [Google]
1504082515122.gif
44KB, 400x204px
>>35172897
DESU a "good" self defense round is any round. .22lr or .22s is literally fine. A random rapist or mugger is not going to keep trying to rape/rob/or murder you if you shoot them ONCE with .22lr or even .22s, much less two or three times. They have a bullet wound now and they are either dead or need to go to the hospital. Human bodies are frail. Any time /k/ talks about SD rounds they get their panties in a bunch about .40 or .45 or 10mm or 9mm and act like you should never ever carry more than one bullet in your gun and whatever bullet it is, it NEEDS to leave a two foot exit wound.

Rapists, robbers, and killers are looking for targets. Anyone with any gun is no longer a target. They can't target anyone after you put a .22s sized hole in their chest. Or three. Any kind of .22 is fine. Hell, .22cb is fine. Look up what .22cb is, it's tiny and was used for SD for decades before .380 and 9mm were around.

If a gunsmith listened to /k/'s advice about SD so they could make a gun targeted to the /k/ market, they'd end up making a single shot .50BMG break-action pistol.

I personally carry a .380, but in reality any bullet works. Even .22.
>>
>>35173094
you should watch more bodycam footage so you could figure out that you are wrong
>>
>>35173094
>DESU a "good" self defense round is any round.
Uhhh, what the fuck? Are there new wordfilters since last week? Really?
>>
>>35173051
Not a common experience for most owners.
If you have cycling issues I suggest to not limpwrist like a moist bitch.

>>35173011
Not particularly likely.

>>35173071
>hangfire
I don't think OP keeps his ammo in a leaky basement.

>>35173093
Debatable.

Lot's of people have died stupid deaths not respecting that a small caliber wound can be absolutely life threatening, just because it isn't perhaps immediate.
>>
>>35173131
>last week
T B H has been filtered for a few years desu.
>>
>>35173132
>Not particularly likely.
The joke is that he's wearing all denim.
>>
>>35173132
>your iphone wouldn't drop so many calls if you held it correctly
.t steves jobs AKA cancer
>>
>>35173094
Intimidation is a good start, as is escalation to painful injury, and statistically this works extremely reliably.

Thing is, there's always that small chance intimidation doesn't work, worse, that pain doesn't work, rather making things escalate.
It's not likely, but it can happen, and I'd rather carry a centerfire gun in a caliber that can penetrate enough to matter, in case I win the rape lottery.
>>
>>35173131
Unironically kys
>>
>>35173156
Eat your vegetables, you have to be an unbelievably noodle armed person for limpwristing to be a problem with 9mm.
Moreover, it's trivial to train away.

You know what's far more likely to happen than for someone to limpwrist a Glock? Pulling the trigger on a rimfire gun and the priming compound failing to ignite. Oops.
>>
>>35172979
you would shoot a tiger with .38 special?
>>
File: IMG_0320.jpg (20KB, 181x220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0320.jpg
20KB, 181x220px
>>35172979
>rimfire is more likely to be dud than somebody limpwristing a stovepipe
fucking prove it, nigger
>>
>>35173163
what's your problem??
>>
>>35173195
Rimfire has an inherent propensity for failing ignition, even nicer quality ammo that has been centrifuged can have it's priming compound fail from rough handling.

Meanwhile, limpwristing is a very basic handling error that is easy to correct, 99% of the time it's something an inexperienced shooter does the first time on the range, whereupon it can be corrected trivially and never be a concern again.
>>
>>35172897
people who carry glocks with extra magazines are indeed, tryhard mall ninjas. I carry a 351PD as pictured above. Amen to that brother.
>>
File: 1466638724306.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1466638724306.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>35172897
>rimfire
>self defense round
L O L O L O L
O
L
O
L
O
L

Do you know how I know you're a retard?
>>
File: medium-6566.jpg (25KB, 600x385px) Image search: [Google]
medium-6566.jpg
25KB, 600x385px
>>35173009

Zoo guy and Ruger makes tough revolvers guy.

You gonna be on this thread tomorrow so I can baby you and take a time stamp?

and my belief comes from owning three S&W revolvers of all types, and owning one Ruger

Though the Smiths have more craftsmanship, the Ruger just feels like a giant one piece of steel.

I'll admit it's not through engineering that I have come to this conclusion, but it's from personal experience and feel for a firearm... Not from your meme fudlore gunstore bullshit

Also... Ruger having quality control issues doesn't change the fact that if the product comes out okay, and it is built to specifications, it still remains the strongest revolver made currently.

Fact is, some loading manuals have a RUGER section only for the hottest loads available.

So personal experience, with some loading manual evidence. Turns out you're just another behind the counter "know it all faggot", bet you get into long winded rants and actual knowledgeable people can't wait to finish the paperwork and leave with their gun
>>
>>35173305
>my belief
>smiths have more craftsmanship
>the ruger feels like a piece of steel
>i'll admit its not through engineering that i think rugers are tough
>its from my feelings
>not your meme fudlore gunstore bullshit
>strongest recolver made currently
WEW LAD
>>
>>35173191

If I had the option to carry a .454 cassull that would be what I would use.

But I don't, I can't even carry in there I choose to do anyways. So a pocket snub is what I take.

And though it's not IDEAL, it's better than nothing. And a hardcast will penetrate deep enough to hit a tigers vitals, it just wont leave a big wound channel or dump massive energy.

If you had to use 5 shots of 180grain +p hard casts against a tiger or 10 9mm hollow points what would you choose?
>>
File: big_gundown_poster.jpg (654KB, 1700x914px) Image search: [Google]
big_gundown_poster.jpg
654KB, 1700x914px
>>35173195

I never said that. In fact I stated quite the opposite you degenerate genetic little anime girl obsessed homosexual filth
>>
>>35173316

>guy owns the two weapons
>guy sees results between those two weapons
>guy proved to himself which weapon is working better for him

But nah... He should believe the homo online claiming to be a gun store clerk (as if that has any fucking meaning) who started off shitposting about Ruger... Wew Lad
>>
>>35173349
>being so assfrustrated that you reply to the wrong poster
:^) jimmies rustled there partner?
>>
>>35172897
>double action only
>self defense weapon

Pick 1
>>
File: 952.jpg (31KB, 628x314px) Image search: [Google]
952.jpg
31KB, 628x314px
>>35173389
>double action only
>self defense weapon
>>
Seems reasonable op.

Missing vitals are more likely to not kill someone than hitting vitals with a smaller round.

I'd suggest whatever gun a person feels they can reliably hit a dinner plate at from 10 feet firing their first round under half a second from rest and landing at least one hit on the target under 2 seconds.

If that means you're not macho enough to carry a 45 or 9mm so be it. It's arguable you're a already a pussy for carrying a gun by the same logic anyway.
>>
>>35173393
Can't hit vitals if your bullet stops at denim or bone.
>>
File: 1503805796005.webm (2MB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
1503805796005.webm
2MB, 480x600px
>>35173443
>implying wounding to aim isnt the best strategic optiob
>>
>>35173443
Fortunately no bullets are stopped by a layer of denim, unfortunately bone can redirect all pistol bullets. Not all bones and not all angles, but yes all pistol bullets can be redirected by human bone.
>>
>>35173468
How good are my forearm bones for deflecting/stopping bullets
>>
>>35173485
I'm not completely sure. Based on your ethnicity age sex and previous injuries I could estimate.

I have seen at least one case of a forearm deflecting a 9mm hp. As it hit near his wrist and traveled laterally and went out near his elbow with some fragments still in his arm after several surgeries.
>>
File: 215054.jpg (193KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
215054.jpg
193KB, 880x660px
>>35173449
No. Shooting to stop (kill) is the best course of action.

>>35173468
>Fortunately no bullets are stopped by a layer of denim,
Some are impeded enough to make a serious difference, like certain low energy, low weight projectiles.
It might pass through, but it can lose a pretty substantial bit of speed unless the projectile is heavy enough, or there's enough speed that whatever it loses is trivial.

>unfortunately bone can redirect all pistol bullets. Not all bones and not all angles, but yes all pistol bullets can be redirected by human bone.
True, but some perform worse than others.

A 40gr projectile going 1000~fps just isn't going to compare to a 125gr projectile doing 1000~fps, a 147gr projectile doing 900~fps or a 230gr projectile doing 850~fps. Each one progressively penetrates deeper and has a wildly better chance of defeating stopping media like tough clothing, glass, car doors and bone.

There's just no contest.
A .22WMR handgun can cut the mustard (by all means, carry it), but it is by no means the apex of carry guns, and can easily come up short in many potential situations.
The lower recoil is in my opinion not worth the tradeoff of worse terminal ballistics, and more importantly, less reliable ignition. For that matter, rimfire revolvers inherently have stiffer double-action triggers due to the requirement of a harder pin strike, this will affect accuracy invariably.
>>
>>35173527
I've read cases of .45ACP deflecting off the curve of a man's skull, and I've read cases of a man dropping like a sack full of rubber dildos from a .22LR in the center of the chest.

Angle can make a serious difference, but ultimately, reality can be unpredictable and surprising. There has to be at least one instance in the history of the world where someone just said "I have a gun!" and the perp dies from a sudden heart attack (and the robbery was no more!)
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.