[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laser bore sighters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: 189467546189.jpg (13KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
189467546189.jpg
13KB, 500x500px
Are these a good idea?
>>
>>35169451
Instead of spending the money on one, just spend the extra couple cents to fire the extra round or two it will take to get sighted it.
>>
>>35169451
Only if you have a lot of guns in one caliber. I use the style that fits into the end of the barrel so I can zero optics/sights on multiple caliber firearms.
>>
>>35169451
There are ones that are decent for $20-30. You don't need to spend $75+ on one. They are only good for getting you closer to a zero. I've seen people come to a range to zero in a new AR that they assembled and can't even get on the sighting paper to start to zero, so they just kinda guess where their shots were landing and make adjustments hoping to get on the zeroing target.
>>
>>35169451
From experience, I can say any laser boresighter like the one in your pic is useless. There is enough tolerance between a shell casing and the chamber wall to allow for a significant deviation from the actual POA w.r.t. the barrel. Unless you plan on wrapping it with some painter's tape before jamming into the breach, and not closing the action, it will be just about as good as eyeballing it.

Get something like this instead:

https://www.amazon.com/SiteLite-SL-100-Mag-Laser-Boresighter/dp/B001NZLJA6/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_200_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W54PE9YGA580FNAMTZ2N

Note: DO NOT buy the Chinese knockoffs, they're even worse than your pic.
>>
>>35170056
Also would like to add that using the one in your pic for a pistol sucks with the action closed - the extractor claw/mechanism will push against the "shell", throwing it off. Again, you'll have to leave the action open, which changes the POA - useless.
>>
>>35170077
People actually bore sight handguns?
>>
>>35170144
>every handgun ever is a compact polymer wunder9 with 3" of sight radius
>nobody has ever put an optic on a handgun
Why are you being retarded?
>>
>>35170162
No, because at what distance are most people zeroing a red dot on their pistol? Like 25 yards or less? And it's slide mounted. It's pretty easy to do that at a range in like 2 groups. It's not the same as trying to zero in an AR at 100 yards.
>>
>>35170256
>all handgun optics ever are slide-mounted micro red dots
>nobody has ever in the history of the world mounted an optic to the frame of a handgun
>nobody has ever in the history of the world has mounted a magnified optic to a handgun
>nobody in the history of the world has ever hit anything with a handgun past 25 yards, the bullets will literally phase-shift into a different dimension at 25.1 yards
STAHP BEING RETARDED ON TEH 4CHINS /KAY/
>>
>>35170336

If you have a revolver with a scope, sure... But then why the hell would you buy a laser boresighter for a set-up THAT specific? At that point it is cheaper to just buy a few more rounds of ammo and zero it once.
>>
>>35170336
>In 2017 the vast majority now are grandpa
>Even .44 shooters with a scope zero at 25 yards
>Zero and effective range are totally the same thing

Using a laser bore sight in general is fucking retarded. And you are retarded for defending them. And the arguments you make are retarded. At least with rifles, they are so much further out that bore sights help them get a better ball park, but in general are still pretty unnecessary.
>>
>>35169451
I use them in my ARs to get CLOSE to a zero. No bore sighter will ever get you a perfect zero. They typically get me within 1-3 inches at 100 yards, and then I go from there.

What
>>35169903 said is true too, theyll atleast get you on paper to start a zero
>>
>>35170368
Because a lot of them also work on rifles and some of them work on shotguns too.

The Bushnell kit I have will do everything .17-10ga including muzzle loaders, has lasted nearly 10 years so far, and was $40.
>>
>>35170405
>my narrow-minded ass literally cannot conceive of why someone would want or need anything other than a compact polymer wunder9 with a slide-mounted microdot
>therefore,you are wrong and dumb for pointing out other things exist
I think it's time for you to go play in traffic.
>>
>>35170483
If you can't zero an optic on any gun, handgun or not, without a laser beam at 25 yards, you are functionally retarded and should probably exchange your guns for a helmet and some stickers.
>>
>>35169451
I used one once. It didn't work for me at all.
>>
>>35169451
They are good for practicing trigger control. You can tell how you are keeping your aim throughout the pull. Tha's all I have ever used one for.
>>
Anyone got a good YouTube video on how to learn how to zero an optic? I just bought a red dot and realized I can't tell me ass from a hole in the ground
>>
>>35169451
Used one when jury-rigging a rifle scope mount. Need to know if the rail is going to be anywhere near close to where I can adjust the scope.

Shoved it down the barrel of a 12ga for buckshot zeroing, worked for me.
>>
>>35169451
I got one for an AR, its no where near perfect but a nice starting point. And my cat loves it, so thats nice
>>
>>35170336
The only people that give a fuck about laser bore sighters are big box stores that offer bore sighting on new guns/optics bought at the store
>>
>>35171943
>They are good for practicing trigger control
This is the secret reason people buy them, lads. The chinky ones work just fine if you're using them for the right purpose.
>>
File: Boresight-01.jpg (77KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Boresight-01.jpg
77KB, 640x480px
>>
File: Boresight-03.jpg (92KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Boresight-03.jpg
92KB, 640x480px
>>
>>35169451
You can just put a laser pointer into the chamber and you pretty much already got your yaw windage.
>>
>>35172730
>>35172744
Where can I get one of them JHP barrels?
>>
File: Boresight-02.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Boresight-02.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
>>35172730
>>35172744
>>
File: Boresight-04.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Boresight-04.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>35172730
>>35172744
>>35172763
>>
>>35172767
How could anyone forget they left an aluminum stick with an obvious, bit red chunk of metal at the end of it in their barrel... and then shoot?

I can understand not being certain of a squib, but a BIG RED FLAG OF METAL that says DON'T FUCKING SHOOT ME?

More evidence that human intellect clearly has no lower bound.
>>
File: boresight.jpg (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
boresight.jpg
7KB, 300x300px
>>35169451
I bought a universal boresighter because I did not have a barrel short enough to require a tiny one, like you have pictured.
Here is the problem with the one you have pictured: There are tolerances between the cartridge and chamber.
Source: http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm
What you get is a very tiny amount of wiggle room, and a "sight picture" the length of a bullet.
Please allow me that one indulgence in my description.
For me, that wiggle room is meaningless.
But, if your goal is to shoot the nads off a gnat, you're out of luck.
I chose the boresight pictured.
It does a better job for 2 reasons:
1) It shares the centerline of the barrel,
2) At the end of the barrel which, IMHO, is more important than alignment at the chamber
You know what the end result of using my boresight was?
I only use it for rough sighting and actually shoot a couple boxes of ammo to fine tune the sights.
I can't imagine the frustration of a chamber laser sight.
I doubt you could even get two identical models of gun to seat the chamber sight identically.
NOTE: I am an engineer and care about tolerance stack ups as little as 1/10,000th of an inch in my field, so yeah, If I'm appearing picky, I'm happy with that.
>>
>>35169562
Personally, I charge people to get their sights close.
Close to Deer season = money season for me
>>
>>35169451
FPBP

money better spent on range time
>>
File: 1504596060061.png (512KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
1504596060061.png
512KB, 800x530px
Kinda glad this thread popped up. Going shooting Sunday with an old co-worker and we both need to sight in our .308 bolt action rifles and I'd bet my money that he bought a cheap ass one off Amazon. So using this to get CLOSE to zero, while adjusting the scopes, should leave the bolt open or closed? Anything else I should know before getting to his place to shoot/sight regarding these?
>>
>>35169903
Never understood how idiots let this happen. Boresighting an AR is stupid easy.
>sit upper on bench
>remove BCG
>look down the bore and keep upper rested and pointed at any object that's 100-ish yards away
>zero optic to that same object without moving the upper
Boom, you're done. Not only will this get you on paper, it will get you pretty damn close to bullseye if you're careful about it.
>>
>>35174423
Holy shit, why haven't I thought about doing this. Seriously, thanks for the neat tip.
>>
>>35174423
Some reasons would be
>I aimed it at my wall (probably 10m) to get it roughly zeroed
>I didn't understand what I was buying and got a mount way too high/low for my firearm
>I fucked with the turrets because they made a fun click that satisfied my autism and now I'm way off from zero
Honestly, I never thought of looking down an empty chamber, but how feasible is that? Can you keep in in the rest and drop the lower without disturbing the upper too much?
>>
>>35174448
yw anon. Another thing, you don't even have to be at the range to do this. After one of my builds I boresighted it on my back porch using a neighbor's mailbox as the "target". When I took it to the range the first shot was only 5moa off. Easy peasy japaneasy
>>
>>35174471
Remove the lower and the BCQ before resting it and looking for a target. You only need eyeballs to do this, not bullets. The only tricky part is adjusting your optic without moving your upper.
>>
>>35174514
>The only tricky part is adjusting your optic without moving your upper
That's what I was worried about, but it's probably no worse than a ill fitting laser pointer.
>>
>>35174533
It's really not that hard. Last time I braced both sides of the rested upper with a rolled-up tshirt. This isn't supposed to be exact, its only supposed to get you on paper. If you're careful it will get you way closer to zero than you expect.
>>
>>35174546
Either way, thanks for the tip, it's so stupid and genius, I'm mad that I never thought to do it.
>>
>>35170405
you don't get out much do you or have any friends, yes?
>>
>>35175702
Ah the classic "I don't have an argument" defense. Let's see how it plays out for him.
>>
>>35169451
only up to a certain point - you still have to put the finishing touches with live ammo. also have to readjust when using a different brand/grain
>>
>>35174383
Pretty much this. My local shop has an ancient fuddrucker in the back room that only charges 5bucks. Always comes back dead on accurate and I just saved $95.
>>
>>35174546
>>35174533
>>35174546

Painters tape and gaffers tape ight work for bracing work too.

I think I'll try this the next rifle I build.

Actually, it can probably work for bolt rifles too.
>>
>>35175930
I get that you can make it work, but how many people have double sided tape in their range kit?
>>
>>35175930
yes i have used this with bolt guns.
defiantly works and i trust it more than a cheep laser sight.
>>35176007
who said you have to do this at the range?
you dont have tape at your house?
>>
>>35169451
Very nice way to convert a rifle from a kinetic impactor to a laser blaster.

Get the green ones though, I heard they're more powerful.
>>
I used one in my friend's shop to sight in a used compact I had problems with, the previous owner "couldn't hit with it" and tightened the sights all the way down. The fucking sights were aiming a foot low at 10 feet. So if you own a gun shop they can work.
>>
>>35174410
>should leave the bolt open or closed?

When using a chamber laser, leave it open or at least open enough to not let the extractor grab hold of it since most of them are at such a low tolerance that it can throw be thrown off by whatever is touching it.
>>
>>35174423
I've got a magnetic boresight that goes on the end of the barrel. Is it possible to use that to zero at home?
>>
>>35172763

I wonder if the gunsmith used the newly minted tines/handles to unscrew the barrel from the action, or if he was a boring faggot and used an action wrench and chamber of the barrel.
>>
>>35169562
How do you know the laser is centered in the device?
>>
>>35170595

^ this guy gets it.

Here is a secret. Start your sight in at 50 yds after you bore sight it as outlined in a previous post.

Not on paper?

Fire 3 shots at the upper left corner of the target with the scope crosshairs or dot on the exact corner.

No hits?

Do the same at the upper right corner.

No hits?

Do the same on the lower left.

No hits?

Aim at the lower right corner.

At one of these aim points you will hit somewhere on the target. Make your corrections from there. Shoot three before you make another correction. Do not shoot once and start spinning knobs. Do not correct windage and elevation at the same time unless you know what you are doing.

Throw the laser gizmo's into the trash can. They are made for and advertised for separating a fool and his money.
>>
I bought an OK one to site my 9mm's in with various light / laser combos I had. The first one I did was with a Streamlight TLR-2S on a Springfield XDm 9mm, and it worked like a DREAM! Super easy to get it right, and it was DEAD nuts on. I literally can't say enough good stuff about it.
>>
>>35179775
unless your aim is MORE than 2 paper widths away, then you miss on all 4 corners
go back to school, moron
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.