[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

suppressor design/experimentation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: PZA ammo.jpg (82KB, 1024x782px) Image search: [Google]
PZA ammo.jpg
82KB, 1024x782px
While I don't want to build too much hype, I figure we can have a reasonable discussion about this given that a bill for deregulating suppressors has actually gotten out of committee.

Is anyone here looking forward to the possibility of experimenting with their own suppressor designs in the event of the SHARE act actually passing? If so what do you want to try? I plan on building something simple at first with baffles formed out of freeze plugs, but I'm somewhat interested in how quiet a can with a significant amount of wipes can be in comparison.

Any anons here with the technical knowhow who want to try to replicate that sealed silent ammunition?
>>
I forgot to add, is anyone else considering any builds with permanently attached suppressors so that the barrel+suppressor is 16" long?
>>
File: 1480636675988.png (38KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
1480636675988.png
38KB, 499x338px
>>35169348
>reasonable discussion
give me ideas i'm to stoopid to design on my own
>>
>>35169348
why dont you just get a """muzzle break""" and a """case""" for it?
>>
>>35169373
>why don't you just buy something that someone else already made and do some incredibly basic assembly
What's the fun in that?
>>
>>35169348
>inb4 most posters here just planned on doing something stupid like using an oil filter adapter
>>
Is no one here interested in this subject?
>>
>>35170536
Lots of us are.

There's maybe 10 people on all of 4chan with the knowledge of how to run a manual or CNC lathe, and maybe 3 of those of us actually have ready access to one.

If suppressor deregulation happens I'm doing a monocore simply because they're really easy.
>take barstock
>drill shitload of holes in it from the sides
>chuck up in lathe
>bore center hole with boring bar
>turn down to whatever OD fits whichever tube you bought
They're super quiet designs too. They're just heavy.
>>
>>35170574
>There's maybe 10 people on all of 4chan with the knowledge of how to run a manual or CNC lathe, and maybe 3 of those of us actually have ready access to one.
You don't need access to a lathe to build a suppressor, though it does help if you want to build a higher quality one. The freeze plug design mentioned in the OP can be done with done with a drill press or even a hand drill. I'd actually guess that the main limiting factor for most people is that you can't easily make your own suppressor that will function on a standard recoil operated pistol as trying to make your own Nielsen device is supposedly a good way to fuck up your gun.
>>
>>35170705
The hard part is going to be cutting your threads concentric enough to the bore to not have baffle strikes unless you do it on a lathe (IE not freehanding it with a chinesium tap and die set).

Yes freeze plug baffles are easy. No, they're not very good at suppressing. No, they don't stand up to use with centerfire rifles even on long barrels (I form1'd a welded-baffle freeze plug build and put it on a 20" AR for shits and giggles, got 200 shots out of it before it ruptured even with a stainless outer tube). They're a cheap and easy can to produce for rimfires and PCC's, but honestly they're SO bad at suppressing it's not worth the hassle even if the $200 stamp didn't exist.

Yeah, I can't see a way of making your own Neilsen device.
>>
>>35170776
>They're a cheap and easy can to produce for rimfires and PCC's
That's all I'm planning on building for at the moment should SHARE pass (as my only larger options are an SKS and Mosin Nagant that I don't want to thread the barrels on, though welding a suppressor to a Mosin Nagant bayonet would be interesting). All I have for threading at the moment is an old Craftsman tap and die set so I figure a dowel for checking alignment will be my friend (possibly by assembling the suppressor completely with none of the baffles or the end cap drilled and putting something on the dowel to mark the baffles to make sure there aren't any problems before I drill each of them). If the freeze plugs don't provide satisfactory results then I'm free to come up with other solutions since there will be no more tax stamps or waiting periods to worry about each time I feel like I made a mistake or could improve a bit.
>>
Sealed ammo is stupid and useless, unless you're agent 47 or something. Personally I'm waiting for somebody to figure out baffleless suppressors, only these fags have even tried.
>>
>>35170945
It does end up being expensive for what it is, especially when it really isn't that quiet. It would still be cool to dick around with if I had the equipment and skill to make the ammunition and something to fire it, and I do wonder how that ammunition would perform when used with a suppressor to deal with any gases that make it out of the ammunition along with any air the bullet pushes out of the barrel.

Here's an actual review of the Russian PSS pistol with decibel testing for anyone interested (it ended up averaging 124.6 db, while a suppressed .22 pistol can hit 116 db and a suppressed 9mm with a larger suppressor can hit 126 db):
http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=307
>>
>>35169363
>permanently attach suppressor
If it is ever damaged or needs new baffles, good fucking luck
>>
>>35171187
You just need to have the tube permanently attached. You can still have the baffles removable from the front.
>>
I found this database full of suppressor tests, for if anyone wants to see what's possible for a specific caliber and barrel length combination.

https://modernrifleman.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Modern-Rifleman-Suppressor-Performance-Database-v1.90.xlsx
>>
>>35169348
Do you have a lathe?
>>
>>35169348
I will invent a dedicated .357 style round and revolver with a gas seal should this go through.
I'll take some pre-existing concepts and scale it so that it'll take the proprietary cartridge, .357, and .38.
Then I'll go to work inventing some seriously cheap suppressors.

But this will all be limited to a "what if" unless the HPA/SHARE/SHUSH passes.
If the SHARE passes, there will also be a fuckton of experimental shot shells.
Can you imagine over the horizon target shooting becoming a legitimate sport?
Three man teams struggling to do three gun style artill-whoops, ahem, I mean "indirect fire shotgun" events?
Perhaps even a style of tankery could be invented with less than lethal artillery being tinkered with and reproduction cheapened up tank designs.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (143KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
143KB, 880x660px
>>35170945
>baffleless suppressor
>>
File: UH1D.jpg (302KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
UH1D.jpg
302KB, 1280x800px
>>35171762
> gas seal revolver

You should. Almost like a nagant revolver, but with a more common caliber.

Idk what the market would be with something like that. I don't want you to lose popularity like the Hudson because of price point and accessibility
>>
>>35172501
>Almost like a nagant revolver, but with a more common caliber.
The Nagant only works because of it's dedicated caliber.
>>
>>35172501
>nagant revolver, but with a more common caliber
That's impossible, as the extended brass of the Nagant cartridge is required for the gas seal. I still think it's not hard to make something like that gas sealing, just need a tighter fit between the cylinder and barrel.

>like the Hudson
The thing is that the Hudson isn't innovative in any way that matters. It's an overpriced 9mm with muh low bore axis (other better and cheaper guns already have that gimmick). Everything about it goes against what the average 1911 buyer wants, which is muh fuddy five, muh hammer fired, and muh steel frame because they're all old fudd fucks.
>>
I'm more interested in experimenting with integral suppression than individual suppressor designs. If I can get access to the machine tools, I think an integrally suppressed shotgun would be my first project. If I weld the tube to the barrel, I can make the barrel shorter than 18.5", and hopefully create something more balanced than hanging that fat silencerco thing off a regular shotty.
>>
>>35169348

so does /k/ know anything about OSS supressors?

how they're made?
what's good?
what's bad?

I know the company lost a lot of staff and has taken a turn towards full retard but what about the actual suppressors themselves?
>>
>>35170705
Yeah that drill press. If HPA passes I'll buy a used drill press and make my own.
>>
>>35172596
Apparently they aren't that quiet, and have been getting updates for years but still don't work great. Plus their advantages aren't major at all, I don't think anybody really cares about them.
>>
>>35170945
>>35174388
What is the purpose of this thing anyhow? What benefit does it have over normal baffles?
>>
>>35176775

Very little to no blow back, and better heat dissipation.

Doesn't seem worth it imo
>>
I'm excited that if we finally get Suppressors relisted under the GCA that means companies will be free to sell integrally suppressed firearms with no additional hurdles and therefore market hindrance to any other non-NFA item. Reproduction VSS becomes more likely and a whole host of new products could come into existence.
>>
>>35169348
>If so what do you want to try?
Open matrix metallic foam
felt
nitinol (thin diaphragms)
self sealing plastic
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.