[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I throw away my Gen 4 glock and get a brand new Glock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: 17-1.png (340KB, 649x447px) Image search: [Google]
17-1.png
340KB, 649x447px
Should I throw away my Gen 4 glock and get a brand new Glock Generation 5 (tm) for the low prices Based Gaston offers? It feels obsolete, and I don't want to own anything but the cutting edge.
>>
Youd be a fool not to
>>
>>35166612
I want a Gen3 19 desu....
>>
>>35166656
Literally the only downside to em is the finger groves. It's the only thing I dislike on my gen 3
>>
File: 20170716_174222.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170716_174222.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>35166612
Nah. Gen4 is fine. The only real difference is the finger grooves, which is not a big deal if you have been shooting the Gen4 for a while.
>>
>>35166612
throw that gen 4 shti in the trash.
>>
>>35166769
The trigger and barrel are different too. The new 17 model has a glock 19 barrel/slide system now and re timed rsa. Both have a new finish as well along with the chamfered front slide and magwell/cutouts for other minor differences.
>>
>>35166873
Timing is to increase functioning with faulty mag springs.

Which, leads me to assume Gen 4 timing was optimal (hence why it was used in the first place) so long as mags are in spec.

Given I've already got ~20 mags, I don't see a benefit to performance unless Glock wants to suggest their Gen 4 timing was a mistake, which seems unlikely since function is perfect in my Gen 4z.
>>
>>35166873
People have been fixing the Glock 4 trigger since they came out. Just polishing some of the internals can make a big difference... Or you could just swap it out for something even better than you would get on the gen5. Barrel, eh. Let's be honest, they are best as carry guns and a slightly better barrel won't help you significantly for that kind of shooting. That's not to say the accuracy of the gen4 was even that big of a problem to begin with. As far as the finish goes, again it's a carry gun, expect it to get beat up either way. I really can't say how much a slightly flared magwell will help you with reloads, but you can decide if it's important to you. Similarly, if you like the new slide design go for it. By all means buy the gun if you want it, but don't expect it to perform leaps and bounds better than the gen4.
>>
>>35167069
Now you can start off with a better base trigger and get and even better polished trigger.
>>
>>35167159
True. If I were buying a Glock today, there would be no question that I'd go for the gen5. It seems like a legitimate upgrade, but it's not worth the hassle of selling my gen4 or losing money by doing such. Go for it if you have the money, just realize you really aren't getting too much more than you already have in the gen4.
>>
The front cutout at the bottom of the grip is an automatic no for me. I'm also willing to bet it'll be an issue for more people once the Gen 5 glock 19's get out to people more.
>>
Yes throw it away, its useless now. While you're at it toss that mauser your grandad brought home from WWII. actually don't even bother yourself, I'll come take care of it for you.
>>
>>35166612
I like the gen 5 trigger enough I'll be replacing my gen 4 with one. Helps my lgs is offering a discount since I went to a demo for it.
>>
>>35166679
you can sand them down.
>>
>Keep Gen4 G17
>Shoot it until breakage
>Get replaced by dat Glock warranty
>Get new Gen 5 G17 replacement
>>
>>35166656
You can buy them in California.
>>
>>35167069

>I polish muh FCG until mirror shine
>Fuck with reliability
>Don't polish it by actually shooting your firearm and basic bitch dry firing.
>>
>>35168901
Lol glock warranty only lasts one year.
>>
>>35168917
>Implying it makes a difference.
As long as you don't take a Dremel to it, it should be fine.
>>
>>35166679
Glock grooves fit my hand perfectly. I only own a g26, but since I can buy blue label now, I've wanted to pick up a 19 and 17. I tried the new gen 5s out and will be getting a 17. They completely fucked the grip on the new 19 though. I'll be buying a gen 4 one of those. Maybe the FS model, or something else interesting if I can get it with discount.
>>
>>35166612
>(tm)

kys
>>
Can you swap out the magazine side on the gen 5? I've never owned a Glock and don't plan to but I might wanna take a look at it just for shits and giggles
>>
>>35169579
Yes, you could do it stock on the gen 4's as well, and aftermarket on 3's or maybe earlier.
>>
File: allison.png (413KB, 344x562px) Image search: [Google]
allison.png
413KB, 344x562px
>Glock
>A tool that shoots bullets
Look. Several years ago there weren't many options for a polymer striker fired pistol. Now, Glock has competition. That company is coasting on it's reputation and sense of aw and wonder left over from years ago. Kind of like the NY Mets. We have better options. Go take a look around.
>>
>>35169826
Besides the upcoming M&P 2.0 compact, is there anything else the same size as a G19?
>>
>>35169963
CZ p10c is pretty close in size. It even fits in many g19 holsters.
>>
>>35169979
Shit, yeah, can't believe I forgot about that one.

Honestly though, it's hard to get away from glock since I already own some good holsters and a fuckton of mags for it.
>>
>>35170036
There's both a Glock and anti-Glock circlejerk. I didn't get into Glocks until later in my gun growing up. Started with M&P and shield, then wanted to get into metal guns so got a cz75, m9, p226, and 1911. Then wanted to get bigger IWB gun than the shield, so I got a g26, and it pissed me off that I avoided Glocks for so long. I just got a gen5 g17 and like it quite a bit. It is nice not having to pay $30-50 per magazine, that's for sure.
>>
>>35170126
desu senpai be glad you waited for the gen 5s. I know trigger feel preferences are a subjective thing, but I bought a gen 4 G19 a little bit over a year ago and for me the improvement to the trigger in the gen 5 is worth buying another brand new gun for.

From reading reviews on it most people don't seem to care about it much, but for me the difference was night and day. When I fired one for the first time a few weeks ago I actually started laughing because I feel it's such an improvement.
>>
>>35170188
I did a polish job and put a 3.5 connector in my gen 4 g26. The gen 5 g17 out of the box feels almost the same. I know it's gotta be a heavier pull, but it doesn't feel that way.
>>
I'm still using my early Gen 2
>>
>>35170204
Maybe I should try that before I spend the money on a gen 5, but I'm just autistic enough that I'd rather not mess with the internals of a carry gun beyond just letting it polish itself through repeated use.

I also like the removal of the finger grooves though. I never minded them on the gen 4 but now that I've held one without them (I've never seen a gen 2 or earlier) I find I prefer just a smooth grip. Feels dumb that it's considered an actual selling point of the gun but whatever.
>>
>>35170252
I have to be mindful of getting a good high grip without the finger grooves though. Without the groove forcing my finger up there or even any texturing up by the trigger guard cutout I don't naturally grip up as high as I could.
>>
Never owned a Glock because I always bought other stuff kind of impulsively and kept putting it off. I played with a Gen 15 G19 at Academy today and would have bought it right then if I wasn't waiting on another gun to get shipped to my FFL first. I'll probably wait for a Larry Snickers version or something, but it was very comfortable to hold. Comparing the previous gens side by side, I would definitely pick the 5.
>>
>>35166612
You pretty much have to. Old garbage like that is just going to stink up the place.
>>
>>35166612
The only changes are the mag cutout/slightly lipped mags for easier stripping, no finger grooves, and the slide stop on both sides if you actually practice one hand failure drills.

You can just get the FNS for $200 cheaper and it's fully ambidextrous, the mag has a usable lip (this is the easiest gun I've done one hand drills on), no finger grooves, metal sights standard, and metal mags that you can actually load the last round into and it won't be hard as shit to make it lock into the magwell when full.

If you're just a casual shooter, sure get the Glock which is lacking in a lot of features (yet costs more). If you're someone who actually trains, you'll appreciate that there are better options which leave you with more money to buy the ammo you'll need. I think the Glock gen 5 is a much needed step in the right direction for them, but it seems like they purposely leave useful features out so they can sell the next version at some point.
>>
>>35170302
At least with the 19, I felt like the flare on the magwell kept me from putting my hand down too low on the grip, but my fingers go right down to the bottom of a G19 grip and that won't be true for everyone.

I'll give it 6 months or less before we see a fingergroove addon for gen 5s anyway lel.
>>
>>35170475
If they made a 15 rd one I'd consider it. That extra half inch in the grip does make a difference for me when trying to conceal a handgun.
>>
>>35170514
You can put a metal floorplate on the mag and possibly get 16 rounds at the exact same size as a g19 with it's mag inserted (I had both and have compared them side by side). You can possibly get one more because Glock uses bulky plastic floorplates, metal is more space efficient. The only thing is I haven't been able to find floorplates that fit the FNS. They make FNS specific metal floorplates that are shorter but still not completely flat that are made to keep the 17 round capacity. Another brand of mag floorplates may fit, but I doing my gun shop is going to let me try a bunch of floorplates on my mag.

If you know of one, pls tell me. I'm about to swap for an FNS-9c to conceal better but wouldn't mind a g19 size non-glockshit.
>>
>>35166656
Owned a gen 3 g19 for 7 years and I'd never part with it
>>
>>35170563
If you have a machine shop or college with mech eng course nearby you might be able to get them to make you one that would work.
>>
>>35170615
It honestly wouldn't be that difficult, I could probably do it with a small sheet of metal, a Dremel, and something to bend it with. I've been holding out to find something pre-made that works.

Actually I'm going to go finger fuck all the guns at my shop and check the mags after memorizing the floorplate design. Will report back tomorrow.
>>
>>35168052
Yeah I'm waiting for inventory to settle down and then I will probably just sell my blue label glock for more than I paid and get a blue label gen5.
>>
>>35170475

I have 8 factory glock 17 mags, 5 of those I can fit 19 rounds into because of the wear. Ive never had an issue putting the standard capacity in even in a new mag. I dont understand your issue, what kind of training you do twig boy?
>>
>>35171106
I agree, I've never had an issue seating even brand new OEM, Korean, or Magpul mags into a loaded chamber. The only gun I think I've even had a slight issue with is my shield, and only because I have to slap it in to get it to lock.
>>
Is glock gen 3 ever gonna get a price drop I really wanna buy a glock 22 so fuckin bad. I don't want to sell my glock 19.
>>
>>35171723
I'm pretty sure they never will go lower. And the are mostly only still made because Glock wants that sweet CA civilian money.
>>
I was waiting for the last few months to start buying glocks. For years, even when the Gen4's were out and good, I STILL wanted to get Gen3's. I still think I am going to get Gen3's.

I am in no hurry to buy. So I will wait a bit and see if the Gen5's are really an improvement or not. Has glock said if / when the other models of Gen5's will be out?
>>
This thread makes me feel better about being a Cuckafornian with a G19 Gen 3 through little choice of my own.

It is a lovely little item. I actually like the finger grips. Bigger ambi release button would be nice though.
>>
>>35166612
Just wait for the Gen5.5, I heard from a friend they are about to introduce polymer barrels.
>>
>>35166612
Only one? How can you justify not getting 2 of each when they're so perfect?
>>
>>35166612
Glock 34 and 20 gen 5 when?
>>
>>35172879
>Glock 20
Glock said they only plan on 9mm for gen 5. That's also why they moved back to the 2 pin design.
>>
>>35172298

Thanks friend

>>35172684

I already have the glock sticker on my car, wear my glock shirt, and genuflect in front of an autographed picture of Gaston sniffing his own farts.

I'll get another, good idea.
>>
File: IMG_0817.jpg (1MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0817.jpg
1MB, 3072x2304px
>>35166656
I love mine just for the sweet RTF2 frame
>>
File: 1501070120252.jpg (67KB, 1024x962px) Image search: [Google]
1501070120252.jpg
67KB, 1024x962px
>>35173376
>Glock will NEVER make an RTF 2 frame with no finger grooves
>>
>>35166769
>Not using Federal HST
>>
>>35168437
Having shot gen4 and gen5 G19's back to back I can honestly say I never noticed the front cutout. You can't feel it while shooting.
>>
>>35174143
I disagree. Although it maybe was more of a lack of the bottom lip/groove. I thought that the cutout was going to be annoying, but it wasn't. My pinky kept sliding off during shooting though. I'm only referring the the g19, the 17 was great.
>>
>>35174151
>G19
>pinky sliding off
I'm seeing one of 3 possibilities here:
1. You have shit form and are holding it wrong
2. You have a hand deformity or prior injury making your pinkie stick out the side of your hand at a 45* angle
3. You have Andre the Giant sized hands

I wear XL to XXL sized gloves and I've never had that issue. Even on a compact pistol I ride them high enough there's a quarter inch of grip below the lowest part of my hand.
>>
>>35166612
You could just give it to me m8
>>
>>35174184
I have hands that fit perfectly fine in a large medical glove. I also don't have issues with grip on any other handgun I own. g26 and 19 gen4, p226, cz75b, 92fs, 1911, M&P9, shield, LCP2, Or with others that I've shot like the PPQ, PPK, one of the XD guns, BHP, Ruger Mark 2, and probably a few others that don't come to mind. I was talking to the guy working the counter and he said he noticed the same thing.
>>
>false flag threads allowed to exist

Im one of the lead mods and i suck huge cocks.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.