[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

typically what does one learn in mountain warfare schools/courses?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

typically what does one learn in mountain warfare schools/courses?
>>
>>35165336
Diving
>>
>>35165336

How to not suck and die inna mountains.
>>
>>35165336
Mountain stuff.
>>
>>35165336
angled shooting for snipers i believe.
>>
>>35165336

That it sucks to move around with your rucksack.
>>
Two different mountain warfair schools. Summer and winter. Both suck, it's a lot ropes in summer and a lot of not freezing to death in the winter. But you get a sweet looking rams head badge that First Sargents hate seeing.
>>
File: IMG_1523.jpg (77KB, 439x390px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1523.jpg
77KB, 439x390px
Pic related
>>
>>35165336
Dick all
>>
That you're not really in shape.
>>
>>35165336
>>35165336
Did Mountain warfare training in Bridgeport twice.

We learned how to tie different knots. How to rapel down cliffs using only ropes and carebeaners. How to shuffle across a cliff with a 200 or more drop from a rope tensioned between two trees, while dragging our ILBE packs with us by our feet. Land Nav with maps and GPS systems. Hiking up the mountain, hiking up the mountain with snow shoes so you don't fall into the snow. How to dig into the snow for survival shelter. How to make water filtration system with common things available. A basic bitch SERE class. How to lose weight by using more calories than our MREs provided.

The list goes on. You're up in the mountains doing tons of shit and only go to lower base camp for a hot shower and a hot meal about once a week. The only good part was the kegger party thrown at the end. That's the gist of it. They have an advanced Mountain warfare course called Pathfinders, that's for guys who teach the course we do. If you want specific info about a certain thing I can maybe elaborate a bit.
>>
>>35165517
Sounds like SERE in the Mountains.

If I live in a mountainous area already, and spent my childhood running in the woods at varying elevations, would I enjoy the 10th Mountain division?
>>
>>35165336
Usually guerrilla warfare.
Conflict like this happen to my country in 2001 but then UN truck came and literally gave them a free pass to go wherever they came from.
>>
>>35165517
Oh and at the beginning of Bridgeport you walk a goat up a hill. Then you pick a guy to slit it's throat. We of course picked our resident shit bag and he botched it. Then we butcher it and make a stew, and yes I'm serious. They might not do that anymore though, as the military is being pussified.
>>
>>35165517
Is this available for infantry?
>>
>>35165336
Climbing mountains with 80lbs on Your back makes death look amazing.
>>
>>35165517
Did you guys bust out the lensatic compass and the sextant?
>>
>>35165541
Can't speak for sure. It's some of the harshest training I've ever done. We had about a 20% casualty rating. Guys were going down for everything including Mountain sickness, poisonous plants, general fatigue, and accidents such as falling on slippery ice. The sun melts the snow during day and then freezes it at night.
>>35165566
I was a USMC Infantryman, 0311. It's not only available, it's required. That's what Bridgeport is, the USMC's MWT. Not sure where Army goes, think they have more than one.
>>
>>35165612
Yes. During team land nav. During company movements we used GPS. But just between you, me, and the internet my team cheated. My team leader bought his own GPS. We knew how to land nav tho, did it in the states all the time.
>>
>>35165672
Awesome. Using a lensatic compass and a protractor saved me from freezing to death once. Its damned useful.
>>
>>35165474

That looks derpy as fuck.
>>
>>35165672
>>35165702
It is a useful skill.

Also let me correct my own post, I said in the states. Bridgeport is in Northern California, so we were still in the US. We did lots of land nav at camp Pendleton I should have said.
>>
>>35165354
Underrated
>>
>>35165453
>first sgt's hate seeing

elaborate pls
>>
>>35165735
The ones that get worn of ACUs are black which makes it better, though they still look a bit odd
>>
>>35165556
How to avoid being the resident shitbag?
>>
>>35165777
first sgt's hate everything
>>
>>35165517
>>35165641
Sounds like everyday at the 1/501.
>>
>>35165336
That you're not in as good condition as you thought you were.
>>
>>35167087
Avoid skoal,skynnyrd, and sks's
>>
>>35165336
Lot of rope use, knots, ascension and descending, how certain rock types behave under load, what and where you can climb. Even just simple stuff like 'get across a river' without anyone dying or drowning overly much.
Used to focus a fair bit on altitude sickness past the pain barrier (around 9-10,000ft) and how to keep hydrated and enough food in troops so they don't stop eating/drinking and just turn into a casualty... cause people get pretty fucken heavy if you have to drag their busted arse out of there. Clothing, medical and cold was also a very focused area, essentially how different layers wick away moisture, signs of frostbite, altitude sickness, general dings and scratches, broken bones and how to treat it.

Later when people where at the basic stage of being not likely to fall down a hill, we moved onto teaching them about noise and light security, how to put your LUP so it won't be seen and being out of the wind/snow/rain, observation areas and the best ways of actively fighting if you do have contact. Generally we'd have a weeks worth of hiking, climbing and other fucking around, then a break for a day or so then another week or two with the more theoretical and military angles to it all, demonstrated ability, all the other stuff that goes along with being qualified.
Its a fairly hard course physically, but nearly everyone preferred it to jungle warfare training, which is utterly soul destroying misery for the most part.
>>
>>35165777
It's not a regulation badge. By the official Army rules, you are not allowed to wear it on your uniform. Some people cut it a little slack and turn a blind eye, but there are a lot of useless career NCOs who's only purpose in life is to nitpick over bullshit.
>>
>>35165777
Most of them have never seen the skill badge before and think you are trying to be funny. They hate funny.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.