[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your favorite muzzleloaders

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

File: Musket Russian_M1845.jpg (36KB, 800x150px) Image search: [Google]
Musket Russian_M1845.jpg
36KB, 800x150px
Post your favorite muzzleloading firearms of history and reasons why you like them.
M1845 Russian musket for me.
One of the last memories I have with my grandfather was helping him with research on the Empire of Russia's involvement during the American Civil War, so it holds a close place to my heart.
>>
File: whitwo12.jpg (171KB, 1100x634px) Image search: [Google]
whitwo12.jpg
171KB, 1100x634px
>>35163665
Whitworth Rifle, because it's aesthetic and shoots at 1500+ yards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83gGIotGXN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fGolpACPWU

Modern hunting muzzleloaders look fun though
>>
File: Musket_M1845.jpg (70KB, 1850x268px) Image search: [Google]
Musket_M1845.jpg
70KB, 1850x268px
>>35163743
Whitworth is a close second favorite for me.
I love the hammer size and shape. Not to mention
>They couldn't hit an elephant from this dista--
>>
File: 1505281056773.jpg (338KB, 1304x402px) Image search: [Google]
1505281056773.jpg
338KB, 1304x402px
>>35163665
>>35163746
Also forgot, the Jezail is fucking 10/10 aesthetics wise.
1845 still holds as my favorite.
>>
File: Pattern1853Rifle.jpg (17KB, 640x105px) Image search: [Google]
Pattern1853Rifle.jpg
17KB, 640x105px
I've always had a thing for 1853 Enfields
>>
File: fulton.jpg (17KB, 320x172px) Image search: [Google]
fulton.jpg
17KB, 320x172px
>>35163746
> on May 9, 1864, during the Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, Union General John Sedgwick was chiding some of his troops for lying down in a ditch to avoid Confederate sharpshooters at a range of around 800 to 1000 yards.
> Shots from Confederate Whitworth rifles, easily identifiable due to the shrill whistling noises their hexagonal bullets made in flight, caused members of his staff and artillerymen to duck for cover.
> Sedgwick strode around in the open and was quoted as saying, "What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Although ashamed, his men continued to flinch and he repeated, "I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Just seconds later he fell forward with a bullet hole below his left eye.
> At least five Confederate soldiers would later claim that they had fired the fatal shot.
>>
File: 13668298_2.jpg (30KB, 1024x422px) Image search: [Google]
13668298_2.jpg
30KB, 1024x422px
If you allow cap & ball revolvers and/or sort of newer takes on blackpowder, I always thought the Ruger Old Army was a really nifty gun.

Otherwise, I once saw a double barreled caplock shotgun of unknown make that I thought looked exceptionally elegant. Had a ramrod made of hickory.
>>
>>35163772
Its the defining classic after that the brown bess and 1777 French muskets, bakers etc
>>
>>35163931
A great gun. The best cap and ball ever made.
>>
>>35163760
Always thought those oddly curved stocks were neat.
>>
I've been interested in blackpowder recently, should I get a 1861 Springfield, 1853 Enfield or go even older school and get a flintlock like a brown bess?
>>
>>35164029
I know, right? I love how it has that sort of Blackhawk styling of theirs (including the target sights, and the top-strap lending the frame strength), filtered through the function of a classic Army styled revolver.

Almost wish they had made a .36 caliber one too, but I think Old Navy might be trademarked somewhere else.
>>
>>35163760
Does anyone make functioning replica Jezail muskets by the way? I think they would probably be interesting to shoot.
>>
File: whitworth_rifle.jpg (53KB, 1900x756px) Image search: [Google]
whitworth_rifle.jpg
53KB, 1900x756px
The very interesting anecdotes about CSA snipers using it, "first real sniper rifle", it's performance and Pattern 1853-esque looks makes the Whitworth my N:o 1.
>>
>>35164230
>Does anyone make functioning replica Jezail muskets by the way? I think they would probably be interesting to shoot.

They real ones are rare they still churn out modern tourist ones which tend to be very decorated. Best bet would be to get a good modern made one from someone and have a gunsmith proof it I'd guess. Pressures are high in them as the lead is hammered down them with no wad so not something to try with a 200 year old gun. The afghans actually made very good barrels despite their inability to make good locks, possibly because at that time there was more prestige in having one taken from a British or eic gun.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.