[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Silencers/suppressors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

I assume many of you have seen No Country for Old Men. And you've seen the shotgun he uses.

My question is, is it even possible to silence a shotgun to the point he does in the movie with any device available these days?

I get Hollywood isn't all that realistic, but I was just curious. Is it even theoretically possible to silence something like a shotgun to that extent, even with some sort of futuristic material?

I'm only an amateur when it comes to weapons, I've fired them and taken apart some. But I don't really have a great knowledge about these things. Please don't shit on me too hard.

Also ive seen youtube vids of silenced shotguns with subsonic shells and they were still quite loud.
>>
>>35161887
>ive seen youtube vids of silenced shotguns with subsonic shells and they were still quite loud
think you answered your own question.
>>
>>35161887
Easy way is a Metrro-Gun barrel system.
>>
Unless he custom loaded them with a significantly reduced load, no, it wouldn't even come close to that. Also, that's a bit of a small can for all the gas that comes out of there.
>>
>>35161887
Bigger/longer the suppressor, quieter the sound.
>>
>>35161887
Youtube doesn't accurately reflect how not quiet a suppressor is. They've yet to make a microphone/speaker combo that can accurate recreate it.
>>
>>35161887
yes op, it is.
are you a faggot?
yes you are
>>
>>35161887

Yeah I wouldn't call the sounds from that movie particularly realistic when it comes to Antons shotgun. That said, a suppressed shotgun will still be much, much quieter, and harder to hear and identify as a gunshot from further away than one without a suppressor.

The idea that you could use one to shoot someone in a sparsely occupied motel and not have people nearby calling the police isn't necessarily unbelievable.
>>
>>35161905
>Unless he custom loaded them with a significantly reduced load
in the book he uses birdshot. idk if that would actually make a difference
>>
>>35161981
Op here, I assume without doing even a basic google search that bird shot is less powerful so as not to turn your bird into goo. But i wonder if its implied that its as quiet as it is in the novel. Cormac McCarthy is very thorough in his research usually, he writes great novels. I dunno.
>>
>>35161994
No, birdshot is still pretty loud. Lots of tiny pellets in place of big pellets. Maybe he was using aguila shorts, but the best explanation is Hollywood silencer magic.
>>
No Country For Old Men is a horror movie crossed with a western. Since it's a horror movie, the monster (Anton Chigoogoo) can do all kinds of crazy things. Like stalk a guy forever or shoot massive loads without making a sound (heh).
>in the book he uses birdshot
well maybe if he's shooting everyone from point blank range but in the movie birdshot would make no sense

anyway if you want real high quality attention to detail just watch john wick 2 now there's a movie that captures all the subtle nuances of suppressors
>>
>>35162038
> John Wick 2
Just ignore the fact that guns don't cycle in some scenes and enjoy the carnage.
>>
>>35161887
Yes, but the suppressor would be HUGE. as in the size of a trash can or about the diameter of a can of hairspray, but about 10 feet long.

Some weapons you CAN suppress that much an still have the suppressor be a reasonable size, but not that weapon and not that quietly.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pboKPTg3YbA
>>
>>35162038
In the scene where Anton kills the mobster in the office building, the book describes how he used very fine birdshot so that the large tempered glass windows behind his target didn't get blown out. The loads were intended for use on small birds that were to be taxidermied and couldn't be mangled.

That's why they show the boss man bleeding from many small wounds in his neck.
>>
>>35161899
This sounds interesting
>>
>>35162254
That's so autistic. He could have just brought a silenced 9mm. It would have been a lot easier to sneak up the stairs.
>>
Speaking of suppressors what's the best way to make a homemade suppressor?

Also does shooting through a potato or pillow reduce sound?
>>
>>35163391
Car oil filter. Hide your dogs
>>
>>35163391
Anything that traps the gasses coming out of the barrel will trap sound. A potato will just explode and provide no suppression. A pillow is pretty effective if you can get a good seal.

And then there's oil filters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs
>>
>>35161951
>plz no bully
>>
>>35163391
Get an eBay kit or sdta kits or whatever. Solvent trap sort of thing with cones or K baffles. Drill out to 0.28" or so for .22lr, bigger for bigger boolits. If you really want to make, not just buy and drill, do some reading on silencertalk forum.
>>
>>35161896
>the thread progressed past this
I legitimately pity any of you faggots that responded to this thread besides saying OP is an actual, retarded faggot
>>
>>35164787
What's it like being an autistic virgin like you?
>>
>>35162038
>"Since it's a horror movie, the monster (Anton Chigoogoo)"
too orgnal to correct
>>
>>35163361
Look at Chigurh. What is he if not an autist?
>>
Good movie, bought a salvo 12 because of it.

It's loud, but it's no fucking where nearly as loud as unsuppressed.

You can hear the shot whipping through the air if you don't have a back stop to reflect the sound. Huge sound reduction, but not magic.
>>
>>35161981
It's a few decibels quieter out of a weapon that produces over 150 db. A shotgun suppressor drops it from really loud to pretty loud and I'm assuming removes most muzzle flash.
>>
>>35163391
RIP doggos
>>
>>35161887
Only thing I learned from this movie was to use a cattle gun to blow out locks. Otherwise, really good movie actually.
>>
Please don't shit on me too hard
Looks to me like you like getting shit on

http://www.armslist.com/inside?utm_source=c000032&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p394691

http://www.armslist.com/contests?utm_source=c000032&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p394691

http://www.armslist.com/blog/gear?utm_source=c000032&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p394691
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.