[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bolt-action sniper rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: M28.jpg (96KB, 1309x747px) Image search: [Google]
M28.jpg
96KB, 1309x747px
Looking for a .308 range shooter for decently ranged shots plus occasional deer stalking.

Needs to have:
>Heavy barrel
>Free-floating barrel
>Detachable magazine or a decent conversion I can just jam in there with no work
>Guaranteed 1 MOA at least out of the box

Recommendations appreciated

Also general long range boltgun thread.
>>
Steyr Pro Hunter
>>
>>35158363
there's about a hundred youtube videos about 1000-yards-$1000. you can even find videos about dudes spending half that price for that same distance.
>>
File: 26543-DEFAULT-l.jpg (27KB, 900x450px) Image search: [Google]
26543-DEFAULT-l.jpg
27KB, 900x450px
I just picked up a savage 10 FCP-SR in .308 as my first bolt gun. They seem to be widely available and came recommended from several youtubers as well as the guy at my LGS who picked it out for me when I told him what I was looking for.

selling points for me were
>fluted 24" bbl threaded
>detachable 10rd mag
>comes with a rail
>accu trigger felt really good

slightly more expensive than the Remington 700 I was also looking at but came with a bunch of features I would have had to add to the 700 anyways. Hope that helps anon, choose wisely
>>
>>35158451
Not interested in watching any more videos on the matter, want peoples' opinions online, for better or for worse.
>>
Consider the Howa 1500.
Very affordable. FF HB option offered. Usually comes with a decent 4-16x optic and a Harris bipod. Drop-in detachable magazine conversion is $100 and spare magazines are cheap.

I had one and it was a tack driver. Used a Leopold scope though.
>>
>>35158520
ok then. find the cheapest ruger, remington, or savage rifle. take off the stock and internal magazine. buy an optic, a free floating stock, and detachable magazine trigger guard. epoxy the barrel lug to the stock when you put that shit together. sight in your shit. good for 1000 yards.
>>
File: THLR.png (1MB, 1034x681px) Image search: [Google]
THLR.png
1MB, 1034x681px
On a side note can long range shooting get more /comfy/ than THLR.no??

>muh Norwegian forests
>muh blaser straight-pull
>muh wienie wraps
>"repeating the basics"

I really enjoy the lack of narration in his vids, makes it more serene
>>
>>35158755
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku98RE1xOkE
forgot link
>>
Any decent pouches people like for 5 or 10 round .308 magazines?
>>
>>35158363
Didnt list a price range but i will suggest

Budget:
Ruger precision rifle

Decent amount of cheddar:
XLR chassis with your choice of action

Big money:
GAP

whether its MOA or not depends on
>ammo
>you

suggestion on how to find factory ammo:
1 box each of:
>federal american eagle 150gr fmj
>FGMM 168gr
>FGMM 178gr
>Hornady match 168gr
>Hornady match 178gr
>black hills match 168gr
>black hills match 178gr

once you get a 100yd zero with the 150gr fmj, measure and shoot each of the match ammo and record group sizes, then purchase bulk of whatever ammo worked. FYI 168gr is out to 600yds, and 178gr is out to 1100yds.
>>
100% do not waste your money doing this >>35158593
>>
>>35158520
Which is what those videos are, videos that also have comments sections, and nevermind actual forums dedicated to the subject like snipershide
>>
>>35158363
Howa 1500 DBM in .308, it's under $1000 usually. It's the same thing as a DBM Weatherby
>>
>>35159048
cont

optics wise,

Budget:
PA 4-16x mil dot
SWFA if youre really poor, btw their HD line is really good for the price

Decent amount of cheddar:
Viper PST Gen 2
Athlon Ares

Big money:
Schmidt and bender
March

FFP is easiest to learn off of, SFP just adds another step, Fixed is good if youre not gonna compete or hunt.

if getting FFP try and stay below 18x on the far end otherwise the reticle will be too small if you decide to go down to 8 or 10x.

mounts, just get a 20moa since they cost as much as 0 moa

rings, seekins, badger, nightforce, are all good. Make sure to research what size to get.

Get a scope level as well, there are many cheap options such as vortex and lone star and swfa.

Dont forget to get scope caps, vortex defenders are really good, and butler creek are always good.

Cheapest bipod you should get is harris.
>>
>>35159217
I keep hearing that vortex has crapy QC. I know their customer service is on point but I'd rather not deal with having to send one back in.

Thinking about a Nightforce shv 4 -14x 50 with sfp to save some sheckles.
>>
>>35158363
Remington 700 PSS (Police Sharpshooter)
Detachable mag accessory available.
>>
Tikka T3X CTR
Remington 700 Police
Howa 1500
Savage 10
>>
>>35159588
As with most things, once you reach a certain price point the QC gets better. Only reason i dont own a nightforce is because lack of FFP options.
>>
>>35159588
I run plenty of vortex stuff from a cheap little Crossfire II on my .22 to a PST Gen II on my .308. Honestly, they're all pretty damned good and I haven't seen any issues. I did manage to lose one of the turret tops to my PST Gen II though, and they had a new one to me in 2 days. All I can think is if you do have an issue, you won't have one for very long. Their customer service is top notch.
>>
>>35158363
>308
>not superior 6.5 or 7mm

fucking plebs
>>
>>35159955
when you can buy fgmm for 80cpr in 308 it makes it hard to choose 6.5cm or the like when even the cheapest hornady 6.5cm match is like 1-1.10 per round.
>>
>>35160524
FGMM grouped like shit for me. 147gn surplus ball was better, but rifle to rifle is always different. My 168gn loads group 1/2 MOA on a bad day. 42.9gn IMR 4064 seated 3 thousandths off the lands.
>>
>>35158514
THIS.

I have a Savage 10P

Much better than a 700.
>>
>>35158514
This, i have one too and am in the middle of finding good rings for it, tho i would really recommend getting the 20" barrel if you plan on hunting with it.
>>
>>35160718
>>35160682
savage make decent enough rifles, but I've always hated their stocks. way too much flex.
>>
>>35160741
Eh, I've never really noticed the flex. Besides, there's always aftermarket. Literally everyone makes stocks for the 10/110 Series.
>>
>>35160827
The only other rifle I've seen that has a worse stock is the Mossberg Patriot synthetic stocks. I ended up bedding my patriot in a Boyds thumbhole stock and it made a pretty good little shooter.
>>
>>35160827
Choate makes a fucking beefy stock for the 110's. Pillar bedded, free floated and dense as fuck.

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Rifle-Stocks_c_2752.html
>>
File: IMG_6349.jpg (728KB, 3149x1754px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6349.jpg
728KB, 3149x1754px
Howa 1500 is an option but magazines require gunsmithing.
They are cheap af though, under 1MOA for sure
>>
>>35158363
As a guy who just got a precision AR-10 built I would recommend 6.5 Creedmore since it has better BC. Guys are getting half MOA with the Tikka T3 tac for instance out of the box.
>>
>>35158363
Tikka T3x Tac A1
>>
>>35159217
I have a Schmidt and Bender but recently got the SWFA 10x42 that gets talked about a lot.

I am surprised to say it, but the SWFA is better
>>
Do any companies make a 16" threaded option with detachable magazine and is not a scout model?
Besides Mossberg, they're the only one I can find
I want to make a short, light, suppressed .308.
Basically a scout rifle but 16" instead of 18" and a regular scope instead of a scout scope.
>>
>>35163477
Closest i can think of is get a 700sps aac 16in and throw it in an xlr element chassis or get a new stock, freefloat it, and install a dbm. Both options are diy easy so go for aesthetics. I recommend this particular rifle vecause it is 16in, threaded, and has a heavy contour barrel for increased stiffness of short ass barrel.

Fyi if ruger makes a 16in 308 scout get that, because you can easily take off the scout mount, and it comes with a normal mount.
>>
>>35159115
shut up
>>
>>35158363
CZ 550 Tikka T3, parker hale
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.