[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ausfag here so I don't know much about guns let alone having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9

File: 1505279807793m.jpg (93KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1505279807793m.jpg
93KB, 768x1024px
Ausfag here so I don't know much about guns let alone having ever fired one.

but anyways, redpill me on the AK47. how good are they? are they just a meme or truly a GOAT gun?

they are my favorite guns in vidya. if I liked them in vjdya will I like them irl?
>>
File: marisa_getout.png (208KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
marisa_getout.png
208KB, 600x600px
>questioning the quality of an AK
back to >>>/v/ aussie niggerlord
>>
>>35153043
*AKM

But yeah AKs are a nice design. The build quality really does impact how well they work, but ones made in real Soviet tooling and to military spec are well made.

The 7.62x39mm cartridge is pretty hefty and is useless past like 20 feet on full auto. For an assault rifle cartridge it really is oversized. But it's hella fun to shoot.

The gun is easy to use and easy to disassemble. Reloading it by kicking out an old mag with a new mag is very satisfying. The sights are quick to line up, but not as accurate as peep sights. Sticking a low mounted red dot on an AK really makes it shine.

Before the super cheap ammo got banned, I probably shot my AK-74 more than my ARs. All the upsides of an AK in a more controllable caliber.
>>
File: 2017-04-22_20.34.58.jpg (2MB, 1610x2690px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-22_20.34.58.jpg
2MB, 1610x2690px
>>35153043
They are a good gun there are better guns for different purposes. No one gun is best at anything. Accept it for what it is. An easy to use gun that functions in less than ideal circumstances. Designed for illiterate farmers turned conscripts to use.
>>
ARs are more accurate and can be made to run more reliably for cheaper.
only slavaboos love them
>>
File: 2016-12-05_17.08.12.jpg (2MB, 2982x1678px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-05_17.08.12.jpg
2MB, 2982x1678px
>>35153104
Ar15s are cheaper is correct. Reliability depends on the environment and army using it. Muh mud tests. I like both.
>>
I do like that when they malfunction, the answer for an AK is always to just beat the shit out of the charging handle until it goes back.

With ARs, stuff like a brass over bore can be a real pain sometimes.
>>
File: AK field stripped.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
AK field stripped.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
>>35153043
Europoor who actually owns an AK.
They are good. Doesn't get much simpler than a Kalashnikov, unless you get a single-barrel shotgun with an external hammer. There's really nothing extra; no bolt-hold open, no forward-assist needed (just kick the charging handle if you must)... everything is big and manly, and can take beating.

I've never had a single malfunction that would not have been related to faulty ammo. And what comes to the ammo, AKs can usually eat anything remotely the right size.
7.62x39 doesn't kick much yet packs a decent punch on the target. Even an off-shelf Soviet surplus ammo can fairly easily hit a man-sized target at 300 meters, if your sights are zeroed correctly.

Field stripping and maintenance is super simple. You just pop open the dust cover, pull out the recoil spring, and then the bolt-carrier. That's all you really need to do in order to clean and check the gun for malfunctions. I tend to only wipe the innards clean with a cloth and some oil, and the barrel with a spray of oil + pull a Boresnake through it.

>>35153104
>>35153126
It's literally impossible to get an AR for less than 1200€ in my country.
Meanwhile, 300€ AKs are still a thing.
>>
>>35153148
I like AKs, but off the shelf 7.62mm AKs using off the shelf ammo are pretty inaccurate comparatively. Being able to hit a "man sized target" at 300m isn't a major accomplishment for a rifle. And if you think "it's good enough" consider that this is happening on a no stress shooting range. In combat conditions, user error is going to magnify inaccuracy. 5.56mm or 5.45mm guns start off with MOA half what 7.62 has, and they shoot flatter which makes them easier to shoot at unknown range targets while still having a better hit chance.

7.62 ammo is also fuckin' heavy to carry around, especially in the metal mags that work best for shooting.
>>
File: my AK + Aimpoint.jpg (604KB, 1582x813px) Image search: [Google]
my AK + Aimpoint.jpg
604KB, 1582x813px
>>35153167
>Being able to hit a "man sized target" at 300m isn't a major accomplishment for a rifle.
It however totally debunks the way too common and sometimes too seriously taken "AK can't hit the wide side of the barn at point blank range!" -meme. Not to mention at 300 meters, a guy's torso is surprisingly tiny target.
I personally tend to pop some 0.5 - 1 liter soda and juice cans at mere 100m while at the range. Not too challenging with irons, a bit too easy with a red-dot. This with some corrosive steel case Soviet shit that goes for 20 cents a piece.

>And if you think "it's good enough" consider that this is happening on a no stress shooting range
I do actually practice and participate in 3 gun competitions, but especially in them, the engagement ranges are fairly short.

>In combat conditions, user error is going to magnify inaccuracy.
Sure, but the AK started off as a military firearm. For what it is meant for, that is the urban close quarters fighting & literal innawoods warfare, where engagement distances tend to be less than 200 meters, it's more than plenty. With modern gadgets everyone slaps on all their guns, the performance difference between AR and AK has diminished even further.

>7.62 ammo is also fuckin' heavy to carry around, especially in the metal mags that work best for shooting.
Not really. Shit's feather light compared to carrying bucket loads of .308 or .30-06. The difference between 7.62x39 and 5.56, especially in brass casing and polymer mags, is quite negligible in nature.

Also, with all the tacticool shit and non-pencil barrels people put on their ARs these days, a typical barebones AKM can literally be the lighter rifle.
Yes, I have used both. Even in competitions.
>>
File: 2016-09-04_20.20.06.jpg (1MB, 2492x1438px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-04_20.20.06.jpg
1MB, 2492x1438px
>>35153167
Lift more
>>
>>35153218
I think that people who meme about AKs not hitting the side of a barn are retarded. I also equally roll my eyes at the kinds of people who insist a 7.62mm AK is totes as accurate as 5.56mm (I have often heard this from SKS owners who make absurd claims about their accuracy).

I've done 3 gun with AK and AR as well. As you've noted, the distance in those competitions doesn't extend more than 100m for most events. In those cases, MOA difference is negiable. I am talking about 300 meters, where the differences become very apparent.

>Weight
Sure 7.62mm is lighter than battle rifle ammo, but it is still heavier and bulkier than other intermediate ammo. I've yet to find a polymer AK mag I trust 100%, but even with them there is a notable difference. I'm talking from a military POV not a 3-gun. In a 3-gun weight difference in mags doesn't really matter. When you're trying to put together a combat kit the weight and bulk matter. I worked a lot with professional foreign units that used 7.62mm rifles and they almost always carried a little over half the amount of mags we did in 5.56mm rifles.

AKs have a good design, but the default caliber is not just as good for general application. An AK in a smaller caliber will give an AR a run for its money though.
>>
>>35153233
I hate this meme response. No matter how much weight you carry, lighter ammo means you can carry more of it.
>>
>>35153043
Eh they're not bad mate
Ak47
7.62x39
Is good on stopping power
Shit on range and velocity
Why do you think the russians made the 5.45.
They knew the 5.56 was shitting on them.
>>
File: 1419978691456.jpg (87KB, 700x457px) Image search: [Google]
1419978691456.jpg
87KB, 700x457px
>>35153249
>I think that people who meme about AKs not hitting the side of a barn are retarded
It doesn't help that US / NATO officers and propaganda machines did indeed hammer all that shit down in soldier's heads during Cold War, literally saying that Russian weapons are heavy and not meant to hit anything, just lay down endless storm of suppressive fire during their tank-rushes.

>I am talking about 300 meters, where the differences become very apparent.
really boils down to the shooter, the ammo, and the gun / aiming devices. 300m is already a quite bitch distance to fight in, yet tends to give you a bit more time to think and take cover / camouflage yourself.

>I've yet to find a polymer AK mag I trust 100
Bulgarian and SAKO waffles are top-tier, and never have caused me problems.

>I worked a lot with professional foreign units that used 7.62mm rifles and they almost always carried a little over half the amount of mags we did in 5.56mm rifles.
Maybe 5.56 shooters just love to spray and pray more? I don't quite see why a typical patrol would need more than 6x 30 rounds.

>but the default caliber is not just as good for general application
7.62x39 works well out of practically any length barrels, and is easily suppressed. It's penetrative and knock-down capabilities are pretty impressive too.

>An AK in a smaller caliber will give an AR a run for its money though.
Sure thing, but it will also sacrifice some of the appeal.
>>
File: 20170903_211908.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170903_211908.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>35153043
not all AK rifles are of equal quality

so long as the rifle has a good receiver and barrel you can perform most any maintenance necessary with hand tools, unlike many other designs

avoid american domestic production AK rifles; only consider rifles coming from military factories such as Cugir, Arsenal, Radom, FEG, Maadi, Norinco, Polytech, etc.

Yugo rifles are a step below, they historically never used chrome lined bores and they take proprietary furniture. If you want the yugo rifle for looks or historical reasons that's not a problem though

the picture you posted is a romanian WASR made by Cugir which someone put "Romy G" furniture and a slant brake on. They also polished the bolt carrier which I personally don't care for because it is prone to rust when not finished.

my preference is for .22 caliber AK rifles. pictured are an Arsenal SLR-104FR in 5.45x39 (top) and an Arsenal SLR-106FR in 5.56x45 (bottom)
>>35153253
so use 5.45x39 or 5.56x45
>>
>>35153286
>Bulgarian waffles
circle 10 5.56x45 waffles have fitment issues. if you ever get a 5.56x45 AK rifle just be aware that the clear waffles will most likely require fitting on the rear locking lug in order to not bind on the magazine catch

they have more than one dimension out of spec, but the rear locking lug is enough to get it serviceable
>>
>>35153286
>spray and pray

I kindly direct you to all infantry manuals written after WW1. Suppression to facilitate movement is the cornerstone of infantry combat. More mags, less problems.

>300m
My point is that it's already a bitch to fight at, so why gimp further with a 4MOA rifle over a 2MOA rifle? And that MOA is mechanical, disregarding shooter error and optics factors. Shooter error increases MOA atop that. So let's say shooter error in combat accounts for +2 MOA. A "practical" MOA for an AR15 becomes 4, and a 7.62mm AK becomes 6.

>>35153298
My point is exactly that, 5.45 or 5.56mm are better. People oddly worship 7.62mm. It was a good first step, but it's outclassed.
>>
>>35153333
Quads of This.

Russia made the switch to a .22 caliber rifle over their .30 caliber. So did everyone else. It's nonsense to say the 7.62x39 is better than anything else.
>>
Good service rifle, enduring for a reason. Simplicity of design lends to reliability. i personally think the AR platform is better in most ways
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.