[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

shtf currency

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 50

File: Gold-Bullion.jpg (821KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
Gold-Bullion.jpg
821KB, 1000x700px
Let's say I have ~$300 to blow - gold or silver? How many grams each? Would it be more pragmatic to just buy ammo?
>>
Buy ammo.
>>
>>35152657
If you had a commodity and someone wanted to give you gold for it as a means of trading after SHTF, would you take it?
Why would you? Could you feed yourself with it? Could you use it to treat infection? Could you purify water with it? Could you build shelter? Is it good for anything in SHTF scenario?
>>
>>35152666
It's pretty.
>>
buy ammo
>>
AMMO
M
M
O
>>
>>35152657
Silver is a more realistic and viable currency. Gold can be used to store large amounts of wealth but for any kind of typical transaction silver is perfect.
>>
>>35152657
When S really H's TF, barter is the rule, and you need to have something useful to barter, e.g. medical supplies.
>>
File: 24506_ts.jpg (116KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
24506_ts.jpg
116KB, 1155x1155px
>>35152663
>>35152674
>>35152680
>why not both.png
>>
>>35152657
There are two types of realistic/historical SHTF.

If it's a fucking warzone SHTF, then ammo would be a good currency. That said, gold and silver can help you pass through border security guards if you're in a fucked up enough situation, but your country is surrounded by countries that are not suffering a military conflict.

If it's a financial/economic SHTF, then ammo AND gold or silver will be good currency. Ammo to protect you from roving bands of hungry people plus a trading item for your fellow members of the community you trust. Gold to preserve your wealth when the economic system rights itself up (they always do). Silver to make trades in smaller amounts of goods.

That said, I feel that it is a weird proposition for a person to give another person something that can allow them to kill you.

So you should probably use something else as currency, like maybe vodka or can food.
>>
>>35152767
>tried to buy more of this
>can't find 5.56 version
>>
>>35152747
Barter systems always turn to currency systems over time. Cigarettes in prison, for instance. Nobody smokes them, they just trade them for other things.
>>
>>35152657
half on ammo
half on Silver.
likelihood of serious shtf of any duration is low.
but Silver is a good long term investment and has "potential" to be used as trading commodity
>>
File: 1504561392456.jpg (34KB, 540x303px) Image search: [Google]
1504561392456.jpg
34KB, 540x303px
>>35152747
THIS, the most important things to keep in SHTF is the little things like that make our lives easier
MREs
toilet paper,soap. (your life will be hell without proper hygiene)
lighters and gasoline
batteries
first aid kits (more than one)
>water containers
pick some of these and blow your money on it
achieve an abundant inventory of these and you'd be king of SHTF
>>35152680
you will NOT need a profusely overkill amount of ammo unless you know that your neighbourhood will be turned into a literal warzone (syrian/iraqi scenario for example)
but it's a good practice to keep a big amount of it.
>>
>>35152885
>can't find 5.56 version
Because it's labeled .223?
Or is there another variation I'm unaware of?

http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/1000-round-case-223-rem-55-grain-fmj-brass-case-non-magnetic-wolf-gold-ar-15-
>>
>>35152657
$300 doesnt even get you an once of gold. Silver makes more sense with that amount because you can get much larger amounts in smaller sizes which works better for bartering.
Also if you are really afraid of SHTF then you should also stock up on lead in the form of ammunition. It will give you more options to stay alive. Once you have enough ammo, then look into investing in precious metals.
>>
File: current gold price.png (50KB, 663x318px) Image search: [Google]
current gold price.png
50KB, 663x318px
Gold is like $1000000 a gram and nobody on the street knows this, you imbecile. You would end up offering people a grain of gold for 12 bottles of water and they would tell you to either give them a chicken nugget sized piece or fuck off. Godfucking dam, use your money to buy something with more obvious value to people in shtf situations, like water purification tablets, or rations.
>>
>>35152968
Gold is only 50 bucks a gram if we look at google search. Why do people keep thinking that SHTF is some world ending event?
SHTF has happened multiple times in the world, and even then, it doesn't change the fact gold/silver still allows people to buy shit.
Commerce will still happen since most SHTF is localized in almost every historical example.
SHTF in Houston and Florida the last couple of weeks and people end up selling water bussed in from outside the cities/states.
Water purification tablets and rations can expire. The reason you keep money/gold/silver is because they generally do not expire, allowing you to buy things at a later date.
Unless you expect the entire world to turn into Fallout 3, OP maybe buying a gram or two of gold then the rest in silver won't hurt, especially if he's already stocked up on other stuff like food, water, toiletries, drugs, batteries and other shit.
>>35152657
You only buy gold and silver if you've bought everything else. It's essentially money. Just think of it as a universal yen or dollar, but without a country.
>>
>>35152885
Isn't Wolf Gold Taiwanese 5.56 that doesn't really cut it to be label 5.56?
>>
How many grams of gold can 300 get you, OP?
>>
>>35152657
>Let's say I have ~$300 to blow - gold or silver?
Silver is probably the better option. In addition to its value, it is also probably the more useful choice, eg. in chemistry, medicine, etc.
>>
>>35152657
Nobody's going to want gold or silver until things get back to normal unless they're buying it with a ballistic discount, and it's no good to you either.
You want to take that $300 and convert it into a thousand rounds of 9mm, because it's useful now, very useful while shit is hitting fans, and unlikely to be cheap afterwards.
>>
Gold can't kill Werewolves
>>
>>35152657
lighters, knifes, wetting stones, ammunition, water filters, bottles, clean bandages, medicine, canned food
>>
>>35152657
Buy excess supplies to help you out when SHTF, then when people come looking to barter, charge them high prices in the form of jewelry/metals arguing that it's essentially useless.

AFTER the civilization gets back to some kind of normalcy, you're rich. Buying it up now just means you'll eventually have back the wealth you invested in it.
>>
>>35152657
read this
> http://newsofstjohn.com/2017/09/10/sunday-update-2/
it sound like your going to be bartering gold in a shtf teotwawki type bs fpbp
>>
File: 1886morgandollar.jpg (73KB, 700x354px) Image search: [Google]
1886morgandollar.jpg
73KB, 700x354px
>>35152657
Once you have a decent amount of ammo and long term food store, you can buy some precious metals. 300 bux is makes you a poor man, so go with the poor man's gold---- Silver. Buy one ounce coins, or pre-64 us coins. (90% silver)
>>
>>35152666
Silver is antimicrobial
>>
>>35153724
So are a lot of more convenient, effective and cheaper things.
>>
>>35152657
Medicine is the best currency. It'll be worth more than gold.
>>
>>35152666
If you're sitting on a large stash of supplies in a safe location and can get a bunch of gold for things you bought cheaply that does sound like a good deal. When the fan is unshat you can make some sweet money.
>>
>>35153789
You really have to specify the event in these kind of hypotheticals.

A natural disaster like earthquake/solar-flare might be completely different than a nuclear attack or economic collapse.
>>
I think freeze dried coffee would be a surprisingly good investment. I know I'd pay handsomely for it assuming I already have food and shelter.
>>
>Alcohol
>Cigarettes
>Toilet Paper
These are things people neglect to buy during times of emergency.
>>
>>35153869
Forgot to mention:
Baby wipes can be had instead of TP.
>>
lighters
>>
>>35153828
Not particularly because medicine is still useful in those cases. No one on this board stocks it and its no surprise because not many people here have actually been through a real SHTF situation. You could drink a bad batch of water and if you don't have enough fluids and medicine and get diarrhea you're going to die.
>>
>>35153009
Do you know how little a gram is?
>>
>>35153869
I assume soap should be on that list too.
>alcohol
best kept as very highly concentrated ethanol with no additives right? So you can burn and disinfect with it.
>>
>>35153905
and the event magically destroys the infrastructure, trade, and industry necessary to get more medicine?

or does it?
>>
>>35153945
Yes it happens. Look at hurricane Katrina where people were stranded for days, people are even stranded now with Irma going on.
>>
>>35153945
and youre going to be traveling to get medicine if you can barely even stand because you shit your guts out?
>>
>>35152657

You are making the silly assumption that the entire world will break down at the same time and everyone's memory of the dollar will be wiped clean. In SHTF situation people still remember the dollar and still assume that it is backed by gold just like they assume now.

The only monetary difference in SHTF will be price gouging. Just look at the $20 per gallon price tag of one hurricane Harvey gas station that is now getting sued by the state of Texas.

Fuck the gold. Fuck the silver. Printed money is the only money the elites will accept from you, SHTF or not.
>>
>>35152927
baby wipes
>>
>only have 300 dollars
>want to buy precious metals

how about you work on being successful in real life instead of spending all your time preparing for an even that probably wont happen.
>>
>>35153719
Good advice. It's also never a bad idea to slowly buy precious metals in small amounts and treat it like a savings account. It's best to try and buy low and sell high, but even if you buy high, gold and silver are never worth nothing. It's also good to have these things in the event of economic collapse. Considering the dollar is going the way of the Zimbabwean dollar, it's more than likely going to happen eventually.
>>
File: glass-of-beer.jpg (200KB, 820x1024px) Image search: [Google]
glass-of-beer.jpg
200KB, 820x1024px
>>35152657

Alcohol is the best shtf currency.
>>
>>35152657
Buy a roll of silver dimes. Put the rest into ammo/supplies.
>>
>>35154210
It's terrible advice. I would never trade water, food, or ammunition for some coins in a life threatening situation. Most people wouldn't either. Water, food, ammunition and some forms of medicine are the only interchangeable things. You can haves lots of some, little of others. This compels one to trade off one of these big 4 things for some of the other 3 things.

In most SHTF situations, communities of people would help each other out and give basic essentials to others for nothing.
>>
>>35153018
Six. It's cheaper than cocaine.
>>
Heh not buying cheap Chineseium gun parts and knives when shtf for ultimate bartering I mean just imagine how much shit people would give you if they have a broken gun and need some part or want to build one especially if you live in California. You guys should also get extra cheap tools from harbor freight to trade I meat people are go to need to fix shit eventually.
Stay bartering plebs
>t.california guy
>>
>>35154443
>meat
Fuck I meant *mean*
>>
>>35154373
Wooooow six whole grams? That's almost nothing. An average male wedding band weighs ten grams.

Think about it in terms of that. Do you see yourself being able to trade wedding rings for any reasonable amount of supplies? Can you see yourself convincing someone that a ring is worth $400 and that they should give you 400 bottles of water for it?
>>
>>35152657
Buy medical supplies, water/water purification, non-perishable food stuffs, survival gear (like a good tent/sleep system), ammo.

In that order. The value of gold is no different than the value of paper money: subjective and only useful as a luxury trade item in a stable society.

If food was scarce and you were hungry, no amount of gold in the world would buy food from me because I can't eat gold.
>>
>>35152657
If shtf, if you met someone looking to trade, it would be food, clothing, ammo, water, toilet paper. Basically bartering. Until society is recovered you wouldn't want a currency
>>
>>35152657
>~$300 to blow
that's not enough to get into precious metals. don't listen to what most fuckers trying to sell gold and silver tell you. gold, silver, and platinum will only be useful to those with a fuckton of wealth.
do what most are saying up here and buy ammo. shit buy anything that is a non perishable good; alcohol, salt, sugar, spices, etc. if you stock up on the right shit, people will be giving you gold and silver in shtf.
>>
File: 1382022455548.jpg (536KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1382022455548.jpg
536KB, 1280x800px
>>35152876
>If it's a financial/economic SHTF, then ammo AND gold or silver will be good currency. Ammo to protect you from roving bands of hungry people plus a trading item for your fellow members of the community you trust. Gold to preserve your wealth when the economic system rights itself up (they always do)

I’m trying to think of a situation where the U.S. economy collapses to the point it becomes a medieval-tier barter economy, yet the rest of the world somehow continues to function?

If the situation here in the U.S. is so bad that we have roving bands of hungry people, then the rest of the planet would be a full-on post-apocalyptic Mad Max nightmare.
>>
A couple gross of lighters, and learn how to grow tobacco. Not even joking
>>
>>35154478
That said, it does have a place in the early parts of SHTF or when you need to evacuate to a stable area which will allow you to use that condensed currency to it's full value. I refer to situations where you'd give a rolex to some boat guy to take you away from your region, bribing border guards, selling off for local currency, that sort of thing. Unless a fucking meteor hits the earth or something, there will always be a place on earth where civilisation exists.
>>
>>35154443
>>35154455
I also for got to mention that if anything ammunition will be a currency if shtf. So buy ammo
>>
>>35154535
>>
>>35152657
Buy cigarettes
>>
File: obama thumb.jpg (53KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
obama thumb.jpg
53KB, 600x558px
>>35154554 just reminded me to buy dip.
>>
File: 9qmCYH0[2].jpg (58KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
9qmCYH0[2].jpg
58KB, 800x535px
>>35154535
I've got some situations that are real possibilities for america in particular. There's nuclear attack, which brings both destruction and can knock out the power grid, not to mention radiation. There's Yellowstone. Hope you have your gas mask for that one. There's the possibility of some kind of major instability in Mexico causing a flood of refugees. Food shortages and civil unrest all around near the border regions for that.
>>
>>35153764
Like urine.
>>
>>35154182
Money isn't backed by gold any more.
>>
File: 1382022455558.jpg (207KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1382022455558.jpg
207KB, 1024x576px
>>35154550
> Contagion movie

"The death toll at least reached 2.5 million in the U.S. and 26 million worldwide."

So like I said; how does the U.S. economy collapse without taking down the rest of the planet?
>>
>>35152657
If shtf $300 won't come close to saving you
>>
File: 1382022455556.jpg (313KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1382022455556.jpg
313KB, 1920x1200px
>>35154590

Any kinda nuke attack will result in the entire planet getting fucked and while Yellowstone would be a major disaster, it’s not going to turn the U.S. in to the Walking Dead, where people are wiping their ass with $100 bills. Mexicans hordes would just be gunned down on sight.
>>
>>35154629
The point is the average person still believes it is because they can't wrap their heads around the concept of fiat money.
>>
>>35154635
you got to think in terms of those in the isolation zones. your money ain't worth shit if there's no food and supplies to buy it with. also, you have to take into consideration of how the isolation of those zones are going to affect the economy. if a major port or industrial zone were to be isolated, that's going to greatly affect the economy. no one in the zone is going to be able to buy the goods that are made in the isolation zone. and if we can't ship goods and products assembled in the states out of the states, how the hell is the cog gonna keep churning? it really would not be hard to hyper inflate the us dollar.
>>
>>35154685
>Any kinda nuke attack will result in the entire planet getting fucked

No, just America and the country that started it.
>>
>>35154688
No, the average person does not think the dollar is backed by gold.
>>
>>35154535
>If the situation here in the U.S. is so bad that we have roving bands of hungry people, then the rest of the planet would be a full-on post-apocalyptic Mad Max nightmare.
Venezuela has collapsed to the point that people get paid in tissue paper.
If the US collapses economically into a something similar, the world won't crap out with us.
We've had natural disasters in the US where there have been roving bands of hungry people in the last 20 years alone, yet the world kept on humming.
Just study your geopolitical history. One part of the world turning into shit economically doesn't mean the entire world gets turned upside down.
>>
>>35154725
Remind me how many countries in the middle east are still stable.
>>
>>35154739
Barring Israel? 7 out of 11.
>>
>>35154685
>people still believe that if a nuke war happens, there's going to be a nuclear winter
Stop reading scifi books anon.
>>
>>35154460
Sure, of 9 karat.
>>
>>35154824
An 18k ring is ten grams.
>>
>>35154478
>The value of gold is no different than the value of paper money
Actually, this is false. In extremis, gold is the premier currency in the entire world. Why is this? Because paper money is backed by the government that prints it. If that government doesn't exist, or, if they print too much of it, it will become worthless.
You can't print too much gold and even if a government does not exist, it is still a kind of money around the world.
While it is true that you can't eat gold, it is a store of wealth. Even during WW2, when paper money stopped being accepted by some countries, gold was still accepted as payment for food and fuel imports. This is because even if one country is facing SHTF, a good 70 percent of the world wasn't really facing SHTF in their respective localities.
I don't think anyone is going to say WW2 was not SHTF.
>>35154511
You can get a gram of gold and possibly 10 or so ounces of silver with that. OP said if he had 300 to blow, which means he's already stockpiled everything else he needs.
>>
File: curtis_emerson_lemay.jpg (70KB, 864x600px) Image search: [Google]
curtis_emerson_lemay.jpg
70KB, 864x600px
>>35154788

It'll only be a couple of nukes, I promise...
>>
>>35154862
So you mean OP could get a lower karat ring and it'll be worth close to 300?
>>
>SHTF currency
It's called clean fucking water you idiot.
No SHTF scenario will last long enough for you to need some makeshift 'currency'.
>>
Priority 0: A community of people with requited trust.

Priority 1: Something to defend all the other priorities with. A gun and ammunition.

Priority 2: Stuff to keep you and your family alive, healthy and sane. Food, medicine, alcohol, tobacco.

Priority 3: Something to store value. Precious metals.

Priority 4: Items for trade. Less precious metals, foreign currency, surplus items from the latter three priorities.
>>
>>35154862
Karat (sometimes carat) is a measure of the relative gold content.
>>
File: 1382022455550.jpg (368KB, 1653x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1382022455550.jpg
368KB, 1653x1169px
>>35154710
>>35154725

The issue here is some kinda disaster that ONLY affects the U.S. economy, resulting in the country becoming a post-apocalyptic movie and that’s just not going to happen without the rest of the planet going down also.

Now a natural disaster like Yellowstone would fuck a lot up but it’s not going to cause the greenback to become useless and if it does, the rest of the planet is going down also.

The point being; hoarding gold is pointless because if there is one thing the global governments are going to maintain, it’s the financial system and if that goes down, ain’t nobody going to trade a can of soup for a Krugerrand.
>>
>>35152657

$300 get a quality ounce of marijuana

:)
>>
>>35154881
I see no reason why he couldn't.

>>35154900
I know. What are you getting at?
>>
>>35154863
>You can get a gram of gold and possibly 10 or so ounces of silver with that. OP said if he had 300 to blow, which means he's already stockpiled everything else he needs.
there's other things that would be intrinsically more valuable in a shtf scenario than gold and silver. even if he is stocked up on everything, 12 ounces of silver is not gonna be more worthwhile than more supplies. you can't eat gold or silver; well you can technically. but you're not gonna use 6 grams of gold to boil water, shoot that animal, or disinfect that wound. $300 bucks of alcohol, bullets, and propane is gonna be a hell of a lot more valuable than precious metals. the only scenario that this might be different in is if the price of precious metals skyrocketed (literally) because the economy needed those metals to produce missiles and rockets. >>35154947
>if that goes down, ain’t nobody going to trade a can of soup for a Krugerrand.
you do have a good point.
>>
File: gamma world.jpg (540KB, 825x1000px) Image search: [Google]
gamma world.jpg
540KB, 825x1000px
>>35154894

You’ve got #3 and #4 backwards;

Priority 3: Items for trade, like ammo, Bic lighters, canned food, etc.

Priority 4: Gold, for restarting an economy in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi world.
>>
>>35154947
>The issue here is some kinda disaster that ONLY affects the U.S. economy, resulting in the country becoming a post-apocalyptic movie and that’s just not going to happen without the rest of the planet going down also.
Natural disasters, US dollar collapse, hyperinflation, civil war, successful mass terror attack by a non-state actor, war with Mexico, war with Canada, etc.
These are examples of things that can happen to the US that won't collapse the rest of the world but can definitively be called with SHTF.

The rest of the planet won't go down if the USD becomes useless. While the USD is currently the world reserve currency, if you have been following global geopolitics now for the last 20 years, you'll know that the world has been diversifying their foreign exchange reserves since 2008. There's more euros, yen, and there's even talk of a gold-backed yuan for use in exchange of oil and commodities in Asian countries. The IMF SDR is also rising.

The only real reason the USD is the world reserve currency is because under an agreement we made with Saudi Arabia in the 1970s to 1980s, oil can only be bought with USD. But because of the slow de-dollarization happening around the world, the collapse of the dollar won't collapse world trade.

Also, there's a reason why central banks are buying gold by massive tons every year since 2010. It's still regarded as the best currency out there that won't lose value due to printing, because you can't really print a lot of it the way you can paper money.
>>
File: 20170909_141607.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170909_141607.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Op everyone here has given solid advise.Tradeable items will be big. You have to think what you would be able to barter with. Silver, ammo, food, water, lighters, cigarettes, porn mags(people will want to wank, filters, and extra firearms.

Silver is currently reading at around 17 to 22 dollars American per ounce. Buy some coins because even if it doesn't shtf silver is projected to double in a few years.
>>
Salt?
>>
>>35155013
Look we're talking about people with more supplies than they'll ever reasonably use.

Also, you act like the black marketeers won't be coming out of the woodwork to Jew you out of gold and silver for bottles of water.

Say you trade that lowly cretin a bottle of water for his last cigarette, that cigarette will have basically 0 value after the collapse is under repair, but if have gave you his wedding ring, you just netted at least 299 bucks profit off of something you didn't really need.
>>
>>35155023
>Gold, for restarting an economy in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi world.
there's no way you'd be able to collect enough gold to restart an economy unless you have a few million. the only way you could jump start the economy with precious metals is if you have enough to start a lending service, credit union, or full on bank. i'm gonna let you guess what's going to be the target of other communities toward your precious metal hording micro community. you can just as easily restart an economy with any other commodity.
>>
File: 1382022455557.jpg (748KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1382022455557.jpg
748KB, 1920x1080px
>>35155025
> Also, there's a reason why central banks are buying gold by massive tons every year since 2010.

Because in a _functioning_ economy, gold has value.

In a post-apocalyptic world where people are literally bartering blow jobs for a can of soup, gold ain’t worth shit.
>>
>>35155041
don't buy silver or gold, both are too volatile. platinum is a safer bet. wait until platinum drops below $800; it's probably going to happen this christmas. nothing is going to "double" in value. even if they did, you wouldn't be able to sell your shit at that time.
>>
File: miss-the-point.png (2KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
miss-the-point.png
2KB, 300x300px
>>35155079
>>
>>35152657
Ammo/water/food/medical supplies and other shut of that nature will probably be more valuable than gold
>>
>>35155055
first off your basing you idea that the local economy is going to bounce back. if that's the case then just keep your money. also, wtf does a cretin using gold or silver to buy something from you have to do with stocking up on gold and silver. if someone offers me gold for something, i'm probably going to take that offer. i'm most definitely not going to use the gold and silver i have stocked up to go out and buy other people's shit. this khajit has wares if you have coin, but you ain't getting this khajit's coins mother fucker.
>>
>>35155117
what is the point then jackass? how is ~$300 worth of gold gonna restart the global or local economy?
>>
>>35155091
Post-apocalyptic world is not the only example of SHTF. We've had multiple SHTF happen throughout the world and history, and gold still remains a viable currency and store of wealth even so.
>>
>>35155170
OP won't be the only one owning gold, and most SHTF does not include the entire world turning into some kind of video game. What are you, 19 years old?
>>
What kind of SHTF are we talking about?
>>
>>35155107
Silver was 4 bucks an ounce back in 2003 , after the housing crash, and at the peak of the recession hit almost 50 bucks an ounce.
Op said he has 300 bucks to blow. I agree with you that you won't be able to cash in if shtf but silver has other usages than currency like making antibotics. Also I said if it doesn't hit the fan then you should be able to sell and make a small profit.
>>
>>35155091
The thing is, gold is a precious metal, and has been extremely valuable since man first came up with the concept of trade.
The thing you and indeed everyone who plans for "SHTF" doesn't seem to understand, is that the scenario you talk about will either last only a month until order is restored, or will actively kill every human being on earth in about the same amount of time. The closest thing you guys have to "shtf" is a rundown middle eastern country, where having bars of gold is a liability, or hurricane katrina, where the fema agent will look at you funny for offering him gold, and then send you on your way with the rest of the masses to either evacuate or rebuild.
>>
>>35152666
You could put a lump of it in a sock then beat someone to death with it.
>>
>>35152666
>If you had a commodity and someone wanted to give you gold for it as a means of trading after SHTF, would you take it?

If I had an excess, then yes.

>Could you feed yourself with it?

I can use gold to buy food or any other supply I don't have enough of.

>Is it good for anything in SHTF scenario?

It is good because it is money that's accepted all over the world and can't be inflated away. Does that answer your question?
>>
>>35155202
so you're going to start a micro community in which you back a printable currency; whether that currency is bank notes or stamped metal; that invests in the community's commodities? how are you going to acquire the precious metals needed to do such a task? you're going to have to either trade the commodities you produce for precious metals, take the metals from others by force, or acquire the metals before shtf. the precious metal backed economy you are thinking of is going to have to be much larger than what you are thinking it is. literally millions of current pre-shtf currency worth of precious metals. you'd be better off jump starting a community with literally any other commodity; oil, steel, frozen concentrate orange juice, pork bellies, etc.
>>
>>35155219
>at the peak of the recession hit almost 50 bucks an ounce.
most of that was short selling silver. if you took your silver to a buyer, they're not going to give you 47.50 for your silver. that is "if" they are willing to buy your silver.
>>
>>35152657
For smaller shtf, ecomic crisisis, sudden migration needs after small disasters. Gold is a great way to move your wealth in a very small package. Silver is very volatile and good to use if you like to gamble on the stockmarket, can be useful in small economic crisisis. It has alot less intrinsic value, and less value jn the psyche of people.

For a full one, the world is ending shtf, they are both pretty useless.

If your food, shelter, clean water, self defense, hygienic and medical needs are met, go for it.

Also for barter, alcohol, medicine, candles, fuel, textile, batteries, ammo.. better then gold.
>>
>>35154978
There might well be 10 grams of metal in that ring but at 9 karat that would mean less than 4 grams of gold.
>>
>>35152657
>Let's say I have ~$300 to blow - gold or silver?

Both are a scam. You pay a premium on purchase over spot but will also loose a percentage below spot on sale. This means you need a 10% rise (at least) to look at breaking even. Both have been massively manipulated firstly by the hunt brothers and then by Russian oligarchs utilising the internet in parallel with their own interests and the interests of the Russian state (which has on occasion utilised gold as a way of moving capital to fund subversion groups). The doomer/prepper 'community' lapped this up. Gold and silver for the 300 dollar purchase range is basically a speculation with the odds heavily weighed against it. Numismatics (particularly modern ones) have effectively been killed by laser copying techniques and are an extremely poor buy. I don't want to guess on an alternative for you put very much hope you don't; waste your money on overpriced high premium blobs of sliver or gold with 300 dollars and instead spend the money on something you enjoy or on something else with a chance of holding value.

Maybe get into reloading with it instead with some quality dies and a press?
>>
>>35155354
>Gold is a great way to move your wealth in a very small package.

Actually it is not. Most international travel will see gold over a nominal amount seized and all airports are riddled with metal detectors.
>>
>>35155354
The odds of anyone ever bartering candles for silver in a fantasy zombie apocalypse are so slim as to be in line with 'silver is useful because if you are kidnapped by aliens they will defer a probing if you pay them in silver'
>>
>>35155354

Gold has little no no intrinsic value compared to its assigned value. In literally any and every SHTF situation, I'd rather have whatever weight in gold you'd like to have in ammunition.
>>
>>35155354
>batteries
unless those batteries are rechargeable, don't bother. lithium ion and nickle cadmium batteries last for decades. alkaline doesn't store very well and lead acid isn't gonna last for shit if you constantly drain and recharge them.
>>
>>35155411
You will find a small quiet generator is what is most useful in temporary civil disturbances and that ammunition or the use thereof will ultimately just as in regular society wind up with a prolonged court case or investigation. The best use for ammunition is enjoying shooting it!
>>
>>35154685
The Mexican hordes are already here yet the government does nothing
>>
>>35155302
You're misunderstanding what he is saying. He is saying when things to ACTUAL shit, i.e. no banks or anything, gold won't be worth fuck all. People will want water, food, bullets, tools, etc.

If you just get caught in a hurricane or some shit, and need to skip town, then yeah, gold can do whatever you want it to do.
>>
>>35155371
/thread
>>
>>35154672
A .07 cent bullet could save your life.
>>
>>35155503
>You're misunderstanding
>no banks or anything

Wrong. I understand him perfectly. You people pretend that disasters have never happened before. You have never studied history or current events. Gold and silver are valuable even when entire countries are starving.

Gold For Bread, Zimbabwe.

https://vimeo.com/3843927
>>
>>35154460
I uhhh wasn't supporting the idea of using gold. Don't rage at me.
>>
My choice of shtf currencies are small bottles of alcohol, cigarettes, and ammo.
>>
>>35152657
ask the bosnian about currency in such a situation you dream about
Just so you know, the story doesnt end up with you being a hero that gets a qt and live happily ever after not having to worry about a thing because you were so prepared and badass that you get free money afterwards.
>>
>>35156035
dont forget soap, canned food, lighters and sugar
>>
>>35156035
>>35156255
Also don't forget pharmaceuticals... legal and illegal will be worth a ton.
>>
>>35155230
>the scenario you talk about will either last only a month until order is restored, or will actively kill every human being on earth in about the same amount of time.

In the first scenario, you're a fool for spending your gold and are getting a piss poor return on the investment and in the second scenario, it doesn't matter.
>>
File: shekels.jpg (111KB, 800x747px) Image search: [Google]
shekels.jpg
111KB, 800x747px
>>35155170
>what is the point then

The point is those Krugerrands are useless, because if we're in a sci-fi post-apocalyptic situation, nobody is going to trade you anything for your gold and you're a fool if you're trading actual items of value like food or ammo for meaningless chunks of shiny metal.
>>
>>35155183
>gold still remains a viable currency and store of wealth

Any way up-thread I asked what kinda situation could arise where American dollars are valueless but the world somehow hasn’t suffered a global catastrophe where gold coins would be equally valueless.

I'm still waiting for an answer.
>>
File: Honda EU2000iA - $1250.jpg (18KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Honda EU2000iA - $1250.jpg
18KB, 250x250px
>>35155438

You'll find that in a major disaster, that small quiet generator will get stolen by those with guns and ammo...
>>
>>35155629
>Gold For Bread, Zimbabwe.

And if Americans are trading gold for bread, where do you think the rest of the planet is doing?
>>
>>35153945
War.
Hurricane.
Two scenarios right there.
>>
>>35152657
>>35152737
>>35152876
For the most part everyone here gets it, except these three and people like them.

Silver is not at all a stable commodity, you'd be safer with Stocks then with silver.

Furthermore, the USA used silver in coinage since the start of the nation and did not stop till well over a century and a half later in 1964. History time faggots, how useful where those silver coins between the late 20s to early 40s. Answer, old people eating cat food during the Great Depression.

The only benefit in buying gold or platinum, absolutely no benefit in silver, is to preserve as much of your wealth 2 or 3 decades down the line when things finally recover. If you want all of your wealth back, or more, you may end up waiting 4 or 5 decades.

What you really need is a craft, skill, or product that people need and would reliably barter for.
>>
>>35152657

Silver and booze will be more useful in a SHTF situation than Gold ever will.
>>
>>35156475
>...

opinion discarded, this isn't livejournal.
>>
>>35156418
the situation would have to be an isolated community in which the only commodities traded would be traded with other commodities. the quarantine scenario in the movie contagion provides that example perfectly. food, water, and other basic necessities are provided to the quarantined zone in limited supply. the only way to get what you need is by utilizing the assets at hand to trade and/or acquire them. currency and precious metals are not going to get you supplies when there is no party accepting those currencies for trade. like >>35153524 pointed out, what's going on in the virgin isles right now is just the scenario where precious metals and currency don't mean shit without the services required to uphold the peace. in the eyes of the writer, the homeless are literally more helpful than law enforcement. the money stolen from the atm's and cash registers hold their value outside of the confines of the island, but no one is going to trade with currency because the situation is deeming the currency valueless. the currency and gold is going to hold their value IF the community returns to its former state in due time. going back to the contagion scenario, the currency and precious metals will not hold the value if the community is quarantined for an extended period of time. no one is going to take money for food if food is in short supply or is not supplied at all. i agree with you that the federal reserve note and precious metals would still retain their value regardless of the scenario outside of the localized scenario. but i feel keeping gold or currency in the hopes of utilizing it's value for trade is worth less than using it's value pre-shtf to buy non perishable goods that can be traded for something needed or for a commodity's value that will be worth more after the community returned to a normal state.
>>
>>35152666
Thanks Satan, good point
>>
>>35152657
You only buy metals after you have at least 10-20 thousand rounds stored away. With that said, if you insist on getting into metals I'd recommend silver. It appreciates at a higher rate and can be more easily exchanged.
>>
File: 1329161837189.jpg (31KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1329161837189.jpg
31KB, 500x375px
Like other people said, barter. When SHTF life will go on but stuff that we take for granted now will be scarce, and therefore valuable.

My family are proper preppers, instead of hoarding gold we hoard domestic supplies for barter purposes.

Hygiene products.
Medicine.
Needles and thread of all kinds.
Tools. Knives, multitools, saws, screwdriver sets with different bits, duct tape, glue.
Camping equipment. Tents, bedrolls, sleeping bags.
Canned food (obviously)
that kind of stuff

Friend of mine is big on hobby electronics, he buys up electrical components from China in bulk, figures he could nigger-rig a lot of domestic appliances if push comes to shove.
>>
>>35158060
>he buys up electrical components from China in bulk
care to elaborate a little more?
>>
>>35152657
bitcoin

seriously

actually

monEro
>>
>>35152657
Buy nuclear fuel.. just trust me.
>>
>>35158076

alibaba.com, buy whatever you want in bulk straight from the factory at slave labour prices.
>>
>>35158095
> http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/15/us/new-york-kodak-uranium/index.html
seems relevant
>>
>>35152657
nice bait
>>
>>35152657
>$300

Best bet would be 1oz silver coins with that amount.
>>
>>35154239
So how useful of a skill would brewing be?

t.all-grain brewer
>>
>>35158121
>http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/15/us/new-york-kodak-uranium/index.html
Spooky. There is a small research reactor right next to my house.
>>
>>35158150

Very, comfort purchases go through the roof when times are tough, people will absolutely turn to the bottle, if you can be there to meet demand you'll do well for yourself.
>>
File: RTltb7h.jpg (635KB, 4254x2370px) Image search: [Google]
RTltb7h.jpg
635KB, 4254x2370px
>>35154182
>Just look at the $20 per gallon price tag of one hurricane Harvey gas station that is now getting sued by the state of Texas.

>waaahh what do you mean supply and demand free market capitalism

thats the most commie thing Ive ever heard today, disgusting

of course texispics would do that
>>
>>35158150
can you use your still to make 100% pure grain ethanol? my flex fuel truck is thirsty. otherwise, i'd gladly give you a cup of rice for 2 pints of lager.
>>
>>35155041
>anyone is going to trade you ammo, food, water, medicine, toiletries, and camping gear for some useless pieces of metal

oh sweetie no x o

if shit was hitting the fan and you said something this retarded, you would probably be culled from the gene pool on the spot
>>
>>35158180
I love it when girls wear panties that are transparent and act nonchalant aboui it.
>>
>>35158181
I don't have a still, that would be illegal ;). If shtf and law enforcement stopped being a thing it wouldn't be too much effort to branch out into distillation though.

I would think if there was a "permanent" shtf where society collapsed the best thing to have would be a variety of skills that could allow you to continue living and help form a somewhat functioning society in the aftermath of whatever happened, since just because something bad happened doesn't mean that humanity is dead (see collapse of the roman empire).

In that case people who want to hoard gold aren't exactly stupid, since it isn't unreasonable to assume that if things stabilize that people might want an easy medium for trade, or jewelry for themselves or their wife. And being someone with a wide variety of skills makes you worth keeping around on the off chance there's widespread violence.

Sot it only makes sense to learn everything from brewing, to gardening (including medicinal herbs), leatherwork, sewing and jewelry-making.
>>
>>35158217
you might be straight
>>
File: 1481427182431.png (54KB, 619x444px) Image search: [Google]
1481427182431.png
54KB, 619x444px
>>35154618
>>
>>35158257
you should add metallurgy to that list.
>>
>>35158257
>If shtf and law enforcement stopped being a thing
if we know anything it's that law enforcement immediately stops being a thing. Cops have families and houses to protect.
>LA riots, 50,000 chimps burn down 3,000 buildings and police just hunker down and fortify their stations
>>
>>35158257
>jewelry-making
?
>>
File: JPEG_20170806_233038.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170806_233038.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>35158286
It's something I would be interested in. And I also would want to learn blacksmithing, since I've always found that interesting and have had ancestors who were blacksmiths.

But people are always going to need clothing and gear, so even learning that much isn't a bad idea.
>>
Gold and silver are investments. They tend to hold their value long term (as long as you don't buy in a bubble). Save them long term and sell as needed during retirement/leave to your heirs as needed.

In a shtf scenario, it's going to be useless during a riot except possibly to bribe cops. After the riots, if s really htf, it will probably be accepted as currency in almost any economy that develops. People have always wanted shiny bits of metal, and will probably continue to do so.

Silver is probably going to be easier to sell since it's not worth as much and could be used in smaller transactions. Try to stay under 10 troy ounces since those will be more manageable (roughly $160-$180 depending on the current spot price)

If you are going for bullion and not collectability, stay away from fancy coins. Mints all make their own bullion for close to the spot price, those are your best bet.

Government issued coins can be good too. You can get a standard American Silver Eagle for a couple dollars over spot, and people will generally pay a little over spot for them since they aren't generally counterfeited to the extent some of the bullion bars are.

Junk silver (pre 1964 coins) are an OK buy since they are 90%silver and also not as counterfeited.
>>
>>35158307
I had a free elective for my undergrad. Soldering and basic metalworking is always useful to know.
>>
>>35158257

It depends on where you live, but having a still in and of itself isn't always a crime.
In my state owning and operating a still is perfectly legal. Making alcohol with the still is also legal. The issue comes in when you plan on selling or distributing the alcohol. Making alcohol as stove fuel is fully legal though, as is giving away that alcohol as fuel (still can't sell it though). Like I said it varies from state to state. I imagine some of the more infamous moonshine states have much more strict laws regarding owning and operating stills.

I mean no one can really stop you if you want to make a small still and distill some water for yourself though. It would be an immensely useful thing to have in a shtf scenario.
>>
>>35158331
In my current state it's illegal unless you're a commercial distiller, which sucks. I understand the process though.
>>
>>35152657
>amature jeweler here
Gold is a bit more than $34/gram, so unless you plan on selling it all at once, silver is a more divisible precious metal
>>
>>35158313
>blacksmithing
wouldn't count on that too much. banging out iron and steel to make anything other than edged tools is kind of pointless. the machines and tools of today will still exist in shtf. you'd be better off learning to work a lathe or weld. if someone breaks their drive axle, they're not going to the blacksmith to pound out a new one. take that shit to a welder and have them reattach the pieces.
>>
>>35158389
blacksmithing would be more out of personal interest, i'd want to learn machining too.
>>
File: doge_pixel.jpg (9KB, 251x212px) Image search: [Google]
doge_pixel.jpg
9KB, 251x212px
>>35158266
>>
>>35152657
I can garantee you, if SHTF like prepper- tards think it will, then its going to be like Metro where ammo is currency, but only the good shit
>>
>>35158707
and drugs and anything like fuel

currency especially fiat is total bs and not needed
>>
>thinking you could get more than a few grams of gold with $300
Maybe 6 grams, and good luck using it. And in a SHTF scenario, what value will a shiny rock have?
>>
File: 1 gram of gold.jpg (67KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1 gram of gold.jpg
67KB, 800x800px
>>35158739
but they're cute shiny rocks.
>>
>>35154542
This. A few rolls of silver coins can always help you move away from a disaster. Also, even in Syria currently, i doubt they have ATMs at each and every street corner, but they do still have somewhat usable internet and phone services. A few cryptocurrencies wouldn't hurt. Who knows what might happen to traditional bank establishments, these days.
>>
>>35158739
Historically people have always loved shiny rocks. Another empire falling isn't going to change that.
>>
Buy more 22lr. Any money you have can be spent on more 22lr.
>>
>>35156418
Natural disasters, US dollar collapse, hyperinflation, civil war, successful mass terror attack by a non-state actor, war with Mexico, war with Canada, etc.
These are examples of things that can happen to the US that won't collapse the rest of the world but can definitively be called with SHTF.

Can't you read? Your question was already answered before.
>>
buy the dip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daDxkG76zBU
>>
>>35156896
>the currency and gold is going to hold their value IF the community returns to its former state in due time
>implying the Virgin Islands won't have its entire system return back to normal after a while
People should really stop thinking as if SHTF situations will last forever.
Even at the most ingloriously shit of times, human society reorganizes and commerce occurs again. SHTF has happened countless times in human history, and we're still not in a post-apocalyptic world. It might not take a month, it might not take a year, but it will all get back to normal.
>>35156234
If the Bosnian had enough gold with him, he could have essentially bought off border guards from the corrupt countries around them to escape the war situation as refugees.

The rest of Europe didn't fucking collapse when the Yugoslavian war happened in the 90s.
>>
>>35158739
People like shiny rocks so bribery comes into play, especially if a country is in so much trouble, their national currency becomes so devalued, gold will be worth a crapload in that currency.
>>
>>35152657
>shtf
>non hillbilly currency
wires, cable, trapping wire, zipties, copper wire especially and tubing, hammer heads and solar panels too may be useful... you'd have to make your own capacitor arrays so learn that
>>
>>35156498
>where do you think the rest of the planet is doing?
Why do people think the entire world is going to collapse if the US gets into a shtf situation?
The fuckers out there probably would care less if our country goes to oblivion. The world didn't go down a spiral when China got wrecked by civil wars in the 1900s. The world didn't get wrecked when Europe was essentially a heap of rubble in the 1950s.

The United States, I'm sorry to say, is no longer the manufacturing capital of the world. Our IT companies have their own offices outside of our country. The rich can simply leave our country if it ever got into a tight enough situation, because they can. Not all SHTF is some kind of super-extreme end of the world situation.
>>
>>35152657
Ammo itself can be currency. Also not weapons related.
>>
>>35155411
The value gold has is that it lacks entropy compared to just about every single other thing in existence. It is the most honest account of value we have in human history. The value of wheat in the 1800s is the same as the value of wheat in the 2000s, if the process used in farming it is the same.

>>35156741
>implying it takes 2 or 3 decades for shtf to finally recover
Syria's in a fucking civil war and it's probably only going to take less than a decade until commerce takes full cycle to return. Fuck, there are Syrian cities that are in most cases unscathed from the war, and their neighbors are almost completely unscathed by war.
You could probably bribe Turkish and Jordanian guards if you had gold with you.
None of those guards would let you go through because you had a craft or skill. They have people like that in their own countries already.
>>
>>35156741
retarded or fudd? i cant tell
>>
>>35158212
>he thinks shit hitting the fan means the entire world is going down the drain
Meanwhile, anon with gold goes to the border, pays off a border guard, and buys supplies from the Canadians, because their country hasn't gone to shit yet.
>>
>>35159414
Ammo is not weapons since when?
>>
>>35155219
this
>>35155340

buy a silver ETF instead
>>
>>35159335
Solar panels are a good thing to have for non-nuclear winter SHTF.
>>
File: 20150829_134352.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20150829_134352.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
simple go dig it up your self. go google your local area with the tag "gold panning". most of the US mid west has gold in its small creeks and rivers, same with most of central europe. Go get a gold pan and a spoon and get digging.
>>
>>35154460
does that mean we can go back to tying yellow ribbons around our spouses waist to show that they're married or that women will wear yellow ribbons in their hair or...? Would be cute as fuck in my opinion.
>>
Common caliber ammo is best but if you want something long term, minted silver coins. A mix of smaller coins and 1 oz coins. Silver is undervalued, they over print paper silver keeping the price down. One day the markets will separate. Expect the price of silver to from 15-20 bucks an oz to 300+.
>>
>>35158331
Owning a still is federally legal. State law may apply though. Creating distilled spirits though without a federal license is illegal though. Even if you don't drink or sell it, there is no exception clause or homebrew legality to it. If you can legally own a still, do it. If you don't mind interacting with uncle sam and likely ending up on a federal list you can get a federal alcohol fuel license for like 10 bucks. A lot easier. Still can't sell or technically drink it but you could practice with it. Otherwise make distilled water and essential oils with it. Claw hammer supply has some great kits.
Protip, Jerusalem artichokes grow like weeds and they require no yeast or extra ingredients to make mash.
>>
>>35158120
I've been thinking about buying from them, did he say how risky it was etc?
>>
I sometimes buy silver because I like how it looks and it's fun to have a stack of silver coins. I don't buy it for survivalist reasons or because I think it's a good investment. If you don't get some joy out of owning silver and gold go straight for the ammo.
>>
>>35152657
Supplies are better in a barter system.
Booze, ammo, food, water, etc
If you are going precious metal, go silver. It's best for most transactions being around $16 to $20 per silver dollar
>>
>>35152666
>>35153067
Really this stuff
Why would anyone want gold in a bad situation?
It'd suck to carry around or store.
Oh right no problem I'll just take your word for it that it's a rare metal and not fake ect.
I'd laugh in someones face if they tried trading me gold. Who the fuck is ever going to buy that? The exchange rate would be stupid- if the dollar failed there is no longer any value relative to the gold so the gold really doesn't have anymore value than the dollar bill unless you're trying to build electronics or something people are going to want dollar bills or coins that have already been minted only some crazy ass hoarders that think eventually stuff will go back to normal would want to stockpile the junk and they're not going to want to trade any of their stuff or offer you a shit deal to get as much as possible.
>>
>>35152657
Buy
>cheap guns (just go to your local pawn shop and pick up some saturday night specials or some p64s or something and/or some cheap pump action shotguns)
>ammo
>spices
>bic lighters
>alcohol and any other drugs you can get your hands on (MDMA and LSD don't perish as long as they're stored in reasonably dry places; if you build a distillery and practice homebrewing now you could distill alcohol for all the people in your area and become well loved in a very short amount of time)

Nobody will give a fuck about anything else but these things and pussy
>>
>>35154373
Cocaine would ironically probably be a pretty valuable commodity once SHTF.
>>
>>35161822
every hurricane party i've ever been to had loads of drugs and alcohol. when a storm is coming, most are not going to have to go into work. everyone is going to be hitting each other up when they know they're holding.
>>
>>35161852
Anything to bring people a little comfort and escape the reality of the shitty situation they're in is going to be a lot more immediately valuable than anything with an abstract value like Gold or Silver.
>>
>>35152657
Spend it on water procurement supplies, food rations, ammo, medical supplies, and Bic lighters.

You'll thank me later. Shiny metal won't mean shit when the shit hits.
>>
>>35161210
>I'd laugh in someones face if they tried trading me gold.
> if the dollar failed there is no longer any value relative to the gold
If the dollar fails, two things happen:
1. The dollar price of gold skyrockets. So whatever dollar currency you have becomes worth less than toilet paper.
2. The gold keeps its purchasing power value relative to currencies that isn't the dollar. This also counts for the new currency to replace the dollar if the monetary system resets.

If you expect the entire world to collapse at the same time the US collapses, then yeah, you're right. But throughout human history, most SHTF is extremely localized and does not last forever. Most SHTF don't even last more than 1 year.

So that means there is a 95% chance that you literally threw away money, because you thought humans were never going to reestablish society after SHTF.

>>35161861
>>35161872
>people being completely shortsighted
What do you possibly think SHTF is?
>>
>>35161932
>have commodity like drugs that are incredibly valuable in the short term
>trade it for gold
>????????
>maybe profit, but definitely better off than if you just bought gold

Name one scenario where people will stop liking chemically induced happiness.
>>
>>35161944
In a situation they would like to have their wits about them so they won't get mugged, drug raped by someone with an STD, or the disaster happening doesn't catch up to them. That's three.
>>
>>35161872
>Shiny metal won't mean shit when the shit hits.
It will mean PLENTY when people start to rebuild. How do you think gold became currency anyway, because some government ordered it? Pfft.
>>
File: happyHelperBeer.png (65KB, 785x644px) Image search: [Google]
happyHelperBeer.png
65KB, 785x644px
>>35161970
>In a situation they would like to have their wits about them so they won't get mugged
or shot at by angry gooks with assault rifles?
https://youtu.be/wk274tUt3_w

>drug raped by someone with an STD
Lmao what? That doesn't stop anybody from doing drugs nowadays.

>the disaster happening doesn't catch up to them
I don't think you understand the concept of SHTF. The disaster has caught up with them already and they're in it for the long haul.

I'm sorry if I shattered your fantasies of all the degenerate atheist scum dying out because of the reefer they've been hitting has dulled their combat skills beyond the point of being useful, but pretty much every long term SHTF situation (ie. sieges of cities during wartime) ever proves you wrong.
>>
>>35162028
>How do you think gold became currency anyway
The first use of gold as money occurred around 700 B.C., when Lydian merchants produced the first coins. These were simply stamped lumps of a 63% gold and 27% silver mixture known as 'electrum.' This standardized unit of value no doubt helped Lydian traders in their wide-ranging successes, for by the time of Croesus of Mermnadae, the last King of Lydia (570 -546 B.C.), Lydia had amassed a huge hoard of gold. Today, we still speak of the ultra-wealthy as being 'rich as Croesus.'
>>
>>35156741
>you'd be safer with Stocks then with silver.
Silver's value has never been 0. There are thousands of stocks that no longer exist.
Silver was worth 53 cents in 1929 per ounce.
That's equal to 7.48 bucks in 2017 dollars.
So generally, if google is correct, a silver quarter would be worth close to a buck fifty today.
Heck, a silver quarter could buy you 2 burgers, or, 1 burger+soda+chips combo in 1950 (value of 1 dollar in 1950 is 10.23 bucks in 2017).
>>
>>35162035
>pretty much every long term SHTF situation (ie. sieges of cities during wartime) ever proves you wrong.
>Syrian Civil War is a 5 year SHTF situation
>pay off border guards, escape to peaceful surrounding countries
>pay off guards that want to conscript you, but shush because you become a money machine, since local currency is doing poorly but gold keeps value, don't die in war, manage to keep life after civil war
Not every long term SHTF means the world stops working around your locality. In contrary, if you have gold, you could escape Venezuela's SHTF (months-long debacle) or pay off people to transport you to Colombia.
>>
>>35162066
>'rich as Croesus.'
I have never heard anyone say this before. Is this some kind of secret society speak?
>>
>>35162177
>more like rich people speak.
i just pulled the shit off a random website. report me to the plagiarism police.
>>
File: 1505344884884.jpg (220KB, 676x908px) Image search: [Google]
1505344884884.jpg
220KB, 676x908px
>>35152657

>unironically buying gold for shtf
>unironically buying gold at all
http://dvmusa.com/blog/2010/09/24/urban-survival-buying-gold-is-only-for-mr-t-and-warren-buffett
>>
>>35152666
depends on how shtf it is
>hurricane harvey
fuck yes, make bank off idiot's unpreparedness
>occupation
depends on how many supplies I have, if I trade for gold I can use that as currency myself for other goods
>total shtf
nope, in total shtf private trades will become endangered because of the fear of banditry or just murdered and having your stuff taken
>>
>>35162146
A silver quarter kind has 0.18oz of silver. Under today's prices, that's worth $3.2. I'm amazed at how much silver managed to keep its purchasing power today. You could buy 2 McDonalds' cheeseburgers with that and maybe small fries.
>>
>>35162066
>we still speak of the ultra-wealthy as being 'rich as Croesus.'
Who's "we"?
>>
>>35152657
Bullets are recession proof.
>>
File: 09832746549.jpg (125KB, 1897x1067px) Image search: [Google]
09832746549.jpg
125KB, 1897x1067px
Supplies are paramount in a real SHTF situation. I have family in Florida ( they couldn't leave, government jobs ), and everyone is pulling guns on everyone down there.. Gas stations, stores, literally everywhere. And they aren't in a place that got completely buttfucked.

That being said, you might want to think about land. If you have enough land to cut your own firewood, raise your own food, everything else can be bartered for. Guns / ammo / toilet paper are good things to have. We all take the little things for granted.

Pic related is what I have been investing in this year. Have about 15k rounds so far ( this year ).
>>
>>35162066
Electrum sounds like a cool name for a metal.
>>
File: electrum.png (2MB, 1920x947px) Image search: [Google]
electrum.png
2MB, 1920x947px
>>35162710
It makes amazing crystals as well in nature
>>
>>35162268
I've always wondered how strong those ammo cans are. Aren't they in danger of getting rusty especially near coastal areas?
>>
>>35162790
people use them to bury guns and ammo. some ammo cans in the military are decades old. pretty sure they'll hold up.
>>
>>35161932
>If the dollar fails, two things happen:
>1. The dollar price of gold skyrockets. So whatever dollar currency you have becomes worth less than toilet paper.
>2. The gold keeps its purchasing power value relative to currencies that isn't the dollar. This also counts for the new currency to replace the dollar if the monetary system resets.

Alright I don't know why you're thinking gold is going to be worth more dollars if dollars fail. It doesn't make gold anymore valuable than it is now. How many stores you tried walking into and paying with gold? Honestly go to one of the few places that take gold and they're going to give you a fraction of whatever was paid for the gold item at first, or they want to deal in such a large quantity of gold unless they're selling off some minted coin for profit. Gold prices wouldn't go up, your purchasing power with dollars would go down.The big thing about this is two things. First dollars are worth more than their weight in gold, even if it became next to useless it's still more convenient than gold otherwise people never would of switched away from gold to begin with, if the dollar gets devalued every other currency is going to get devalued also because the U.S. dollar is the most valued currency the world over that even if it's value started going down places with worse currencies would be in even more of a rush to trade in their truckloads of their own bills for u.s. ones and keep the value of it from going down too far so unless someone started some massive inflation thing going on the value of it is never going to simply just collapse. The second thing is you're like half making an argument why gold is never going to become the standard again. Localized events, these other places are not going to give up their currencies and switch to a gold standard or start shelling out more of their money for gold. They're probably going to offer less for gold since you have nothing else of value to offer, they're not going to,.
>>
>>35162837
>they're not going to,.
be "oooh" and "ahhhh'd" by shiny gold. They're going to tell you it's a pain in the ass to deal with and know you're desperate to get more off you.

After stuff gets to the point of "re-established" the only real use for gold is making electronics. Even during the recession gold is so valuable that you lose money recycling electronics to salvage the gold for the worth of gold.
>>
>>35161861
You can get that by just listening to some music. Drugs are bad for you.
>>
>>35162028
Gold costs too much to buy today and would have too little value in the post apocalypse to be worth the investment. The smallest piece of gold you can buy it worth $40. Every time you trade it, you would have to trade it for something worth less than that, like a sandwich.
>>
>>35162837
>Alright I don't know why you're thinking gold is going to be worth more dollars if dollars fail
Gold is world currency. If dollars fail, will the yuan fail? Will the IMF SDR fail? How about the Euro? Even if the dollar collapses, these currencies won't. Gold won't.

Also you CAN'T read.
> Gold prices wouldn't go up, your purchasing power with dollars would go down.
I didn't say this. RE-read the fucking post you quoted.
>the dollar price of gold skyrockets
because the dollar turns into 21st Century Weimar Republic marks
>gold keeps its purchasing power value
Nothing in these two statements says gold prices goes up, just that the dollar value in a collapse crashes in value in comparison to gold and that gold keeps its value to other non-crashing currency. You need to brush up your English reading skills.

>if the dollar gets devalued every other currency is going to get devalued also because the U.S. dollar is the most valued currency the world over that even if it's value started going down places with worse currencies would be in even more of a rush to trade in their truckloads of their own bills for u.s. ones
You have zero understanding of global monetary economics. The US dollar has lost 90 percent of its value since the 1920s. The US dollar has lost its "market share" as world reserve currency in the last 20 years to the Euro, Yen, IMF SDR, and gold, which every single central bank in the world except for the US and Canada have been buying more of since 2010 to hedge against a dollar collapse.

In extremis (SHTF), gold is superior money even against the dollar. This was proven in WW2 when countries did not accept paper money, but accepted gold as import payments. Gold cannot hyperinflate unless you kill off 6 billion humans on Earth at the same time.

Also, the reason the dollar was the reserve currency is because of a major deal in the 1980s with OPEC that all oil purchases MUST be made with US dollars. If that system collapses, that's bad for us.
>>
>>35162869
>there are still people who literally think that shit hitting the fan means post apocalyptic wasteland world
Are you guys really being deliberately obtuse at this point?
>>
>>35162903
Technically speaking, the thing that backs the USD is oil. Since you can't buy oil with USD, you must have USD. Which is why the threats of Chinese gold-backed yuan contracts to purchase oil is very dangerous to our dollar's supremacy.
I still can't believe no one in our intelligence services are trying to stop this shit from happening.
>>
>>35162906
There is no situation where a first world country go get that fucked up without everything getting fucked up. Only a war could do it. If that happens, you should be using your gun not running away to become a pathetic islamic refugee.
>>
>>35162918
an entire thread of bickering and stupidity and i think this is the most ridiculous post.
>>
>>35162922
>There is no situation where a first world country go get that fucked up without everything getting fucked up.
A war with Mexico won't turn our country into that.
Same with a war with Canada.
A massive natural disaster won't.
A successful mass terror attack won't.
Hyperinflation and a dollar collapse won't.
A US civil war won't even do that.

And even if all those things happen at the same time, we won't bring the entire world down with us. What kind of obtuse idiot are you?
>>
>>35162927
t. Jet Li
>>
>>35162903
>Gold is world currency. If dollars fail, will the yuan fail? Will the IMF SDR fail? How about the Euro? Even if the dollar collapses, these currencies won't. Gold won't.
Gold really isn't the world currency, in fact, the yuan is backed by the us dollar not gold. Why would you even ask me that on the internet you can literally use a search engine to look that up.

>Even if the dollar collapses, these currencies won't. Gold won't.
>Also you CAN'T read.
>> Gold prices wouldn't go up, your purchasing power with dollars would go down.
>I didn't say this. RE-read the fucking post you quoted.

Yes, you did say that. You said that prices on gold would skyrocket. No they wouldn't. The price you pay with us dollars would because your purchase power goes down. Other people are not going to start offering more for gold, the price for gold only goes up in us dollars because your purchase power went down. It's still worth just as many dollars of a non-us backed currency. How does this not make sense to you? lol. Man this is just silly. It really is. Are you trying to sell gold or something? I'm not understanding your angle. I mean I understand under certain disaster situations not wanting dollars since they're somewhat fragile and not fire proof I have a fuck load of coins for exactly that reason but they're u.s. coins so even if a fire destroyed them they have some alloy value to someone.
>>35162903
>This was proven in WW2
lol dude that was nearly a century ago when gold WAS the standard, you can't emphesize the word "was" enough. Back then your average person couldn't really make out what a dollar conversion from one currency to another was it wasn't easily and publicly available. Gold made sense because people knew it had value. A large part of that though was the culture shock where people couldn't figure out conversion rates and being in a foreign spot. Now a days gold is so foreign to most everyone that people would think your nuts trying to trade it
>>
>>35162940
> You said that prices on gold would skyrocket.
DOLLAR prices on gold is different from price of gold.
Are you fucking stupid? You can't even read.

>Gold really isn't the world currency, in fact, the yuan is backed by the us dollar not gold. Why would you even ask me that on the internet you can literally use a search engine to look that up.
The yuan is not backed by the dollar. Pegging a currency to the dollar does not mean it's backed by the dollar.
Gold is a world currency, because central banks are buying it everywhere as a dollar hedge, and yes, even the Venezuelan government has started using it as money, because its actual currency has turned into complete shit.

See how it bypasses fiat? Gold has its market price that doesn't give a shit about fiat currency even today.

>that was a century ago
>fucking Venezuela just did it this year
>fucking Germany also told Italy to pay its debts using its gold reserves
The fuck, it's like you don't read newspapers!
>>
>>35162940
Read it again:
>1. The dollar price of gold skyrockets. So whatever dollar currency you have becomes worth less than toilet paper.
>2. The gold keeps its purchasing power value relative to currencies that isn't the dollar. This also counts for the new currency to replace the dollar if the monetary system resets.
Not one of these statements say that the price of gold goes up. Just the dollar price, because in a collapse, it becomes worth less than toilet paper.
The devastated state of /k/ommando English.
>>
Ammo, iodine pills, medicines, canned food, etc.
>>
>>35162962
What use are iodine pills outside of a nuclear attack type shtf?
>>
>>35162903
>In extremis (SHTF), gold is superior money even against the dollar.

Lol no. The gold standard only existed because the Brits decided they wanted it. From 945-1970s everyone was on the Dollar standard due to US loans until the Oil Crisis and the Treasury decided it was time to fuck around with fiat currency. In any case, shit you can use > shit that doesn't have a direct application.
>>
>>35162967
True, but nuclear war is a type of SHTF
>>
>>35162974
>Lol no.
>Venezuela started selling gold in June 2017 in order to make ends meet when their currency went down the toilet
Gold is currency. In extremis (SHTF), even governments acknowledge that. That's why since 2010, government central banks have been net buyers of gold for years now. It is a dollar hedge. It is also money. There's a reason why it is designated as currency in international markets and is known as XAU ISO 4217.
It is literally money with no country that has exchange rates with all the fiat currencies around the world.
>>
The gold does keep its value. It's rare and there'll always be people who want it because of its properties and scarcity even if you can't use it yourself. It's also easy to carry and store. Keep in mind that it's valuable enough that you wouldn't be needing to carry a ton of gold with you. Just a small quantity is a fortune.

That said, you have to be able to survive and defend it, so it has to be second to guns and supplies, but gold is worth a lot once you got those covered. Probably more valuable per pound than the more pragmatic goods.
>>
>>35162967
Prevent goiter.
Helps stop getting irradiated badly in a nuclear war or if you eat too much nuts with selenium? Not sure about the last one.
>>
>>35162951
I can't believe I'm hitting the character limit on these posts.

>>35162951
>DOLLAR prices on gold is different from price of gold.
Literally this is exactly what I'm telling you. Now you seem to have a bit of a loose screw or something because ignoring the global chaos of the U.S. dollar collapsing because it'd send most of the world into a huge fucking crisis and fuck so many people way beyond what most people think because the U.S. is the leader of the world, the world would be so much worse off without it. Even if ignoring all that the dollar collapsed, it'd be freaking ridiculous to go back to gold instead of simply adopting an already established currency backed by gold. You could pick one at random once word gets out the big finance people would start converting their bills (spending their u.s. dollars to buy other types of dollars) instead of needing a fucking fork lift and fucking cargo trailer trucks full of fucking gold because none of the rich people are going to accept their billion dollars is worth some inflated trillion gazillion dollars and worth less then a peso. They'll just switch to a different currency with the bulk of it being a bank entry number where real dollars never exchange hands. The U.S. dollar is already a freaking crypto currency like bitcoin, it has a serial number per each individual dollar like a block chain and most of it never gets moved around it's just a number in an accounting book, probably not even a physical one anymore, a computer spread sheet for an accounting "book".

You're out of your mind thinking gold value is going to go up by U.S. dollar value going down. You're right you will get less gold for the dollar, that doesn't mean gold is more expensive, it means your dollar just buys less. You must be like a hundred years old or something if you still think gold is valuable in a small quantity and just have no idea how rich real rich people are.
>>
File: 1382022455552.jpg (114KB, 960x542px) Image search: [Google]
1382022455552.jpg
114KB, 960x542px
>>35159253
> Natural disasters, successful mass terror attack by a non-state actor,

Would not cause the collapse of the U.S. economy.

> US dollar collapse, hyperinflation,

Would not happen outside of a global economic melt down.

> civil war,

Never gunna happen.

> war with Mexico, war with Canada, etc.

Please.
>>
>>35162997
No one fucking said the world will come back to gold, you moron.
And no, the dollar collapsing wouldn't affect the world as badly now as it would have 20 fucking years ago.
China and Germany are now the manufacturing powers of the world, the USD has lost its primacy as the world reserve currency since 2008, being slowly replaced by the Euro, Yen, SDR, Yuan (albeit mostly with Russia and continental Asia), and gold. The damage a dollar collapse won't be as harsh as it would have been ten years ago!

And you still can't fucking read. If you studied basic monetary economics, you'd know that the price of gold falls when the dollar strength increases and vice versa, not because the gold became more valuable, but because the dollar weakened. You dunce. Gold just keeps its relative value to all currencies.
>>
>>35159400
>Why do people think the entire world is going to collapse if the US gets into a shtf situation?

Because no man (nation) is an island and the U.S. can't go down without something global taking everybody else down also.

Comparing fucking Zimbabwe to the U.S. is retarded.
>>
>>35163005
>natural disasters won't collapse the US economy
Florida and Texas estimate GDP for this year will be hit by natural disasters.
>successful mass terror attack by a non-state actor
So multiple nukes on the US by terrorists won't crash the US economy? Wut.
>Would not happen outside of a global economic melt down.
True in some case, but historically, we are shown that countries around the world can get fucked up by their mass printing of fiat. All that needs to happen is our ability to be the world reserve currency ends.
Mind you, I think that would suck, but I can't believe people are not even thinking this can be a possibility.
>never gunna happen
Not the question that was asked. You asked of situations that turn the dollar valueless while everyone else was all ok.
>Please.
Not the question that was asked.
>>
>>35162932
A war with China and Russia will do it.
>>
>>35162268

Why do you have lead crimped cable ties on your ammo cans?
>>
>>35163012
>US can't go down without something global taking everybody else down also
That would be the case, if it were 20 years ago. We've lost economic wars to Germany and China for the last decade. The only real power we have left is our military.
Our industrial base has been hollowed out, everyone's stealing our intellectual property, we're 20 trillion bucks in debt, everyone's selling their dollars and US treasuries, our "allies" still won't keep up defense spending or even reimburse us. We're no longer the best country in the world.
In order to regain that title, we have to understand that the world can move without us now. Only then can we right the wrongs of the boomers who love "free" trade and unpayable welfare. Things aren't the same as when we were young.
>>
>>35162992
>if you eat too much nuts
>you get irradiation
What?
>>
>>35163006
Holy shit are you ever dense my man. People that have a stockpile of gold, you can get an idea for what is a valuable amount of gold- wallstreet was manipulating prices of it by shipping it around in trucks in new york to effect commodity prices a few years ago, you literally need truck fulls of gold for it to have any sort of value like you think it does. How do you think people are going to sort out minting truck fulls of fucking gold? They'll simply switch to another dollar, name one place in the fucking world that uses fucking gold? A gold backed currency is just a fucking funny looking U.S. dollar and if the dollar fails which is unthinkable, people will just use funny looking fucking dollars. Are you just unaware how fucking crazy you are chasing your own tail I know people that are a few years shy of being a full century old with shit like alzheimers that would understand this easier than you would. You must be a troll or a golds salesmen because you're fucking crazy to buy gold rather than a different currency. At that point you might as well leave unless you're rich enough to do a trickle down where everyone else accepts that dollar here- which is why the U.S. dollar won't become worthless- nobody is ever going to simply give it up. The value of the dollar going down to a certain point means there would be a huge government hub bub about simply abandoning it for another currency and removing it from supply and introducing the new dollar. It's not even efficient to buy the gold rather than a different currency unless your hoping somehow you're going to find someone willing to trade enough of those dollars to even make it worthwhile for you to ship a huge fucking amount of gold which is a fucking logistics nightmare which would infinitely worse in a disaster.
>>
>>35163018
> > natural disasters won't collapse the US economy
> Florida and Texas estimate GDP for this year will be hit by natural disasters.

Has not caused the collapse of the U.S. economy.

> > successful mass terror attack by a non-state actor
> So multiple nukes on the US by terrorists won't crash the US economy? Wut.

Has not caused the collapse of the U.S. economy.

> > Would not happen outside of a global economic melt down.
> True in some case

The U.S. is not Zimbabwe.

> > never gunna happen
> Not the question that was asked.

You forgot zombie break out…
>>
>>35163033
>We're no longer the best country in the world.
why don't you shut your dirty whore mouth and immigrate somewhere else then
>>
>>35152657
>Gold for SHTF
When will this meme die?

Both Gold and Silver are worthless for a feces hitting the rotary air maker scenario, here are the main reasons why.
>You won't be able to get exactly what you need.
Right now I can buy shoes in my specific size, ammo by the caliber, brand name, and grain. But in SHTF? Ummm... here's a pair of beat up work boots, and old 9mm in a ziplock bag, take it or leave it.

>There's No Guarantee you'll be able to get anything at all.
Sure you might be able to buy hard good like the one's above, but what about consumables? Things like food,booze,gas,toilet paper,ext, will get used, a staving man isn't going to save food just to trade it to you.

>Trading is dangerous as fuck
Going around asking strangers who may or may not be untrustworthy, desperate killers, to trade some of their food for gold seems like a easy way to get shot. Don't you agree?

>Gold/Silver is a horribly wasteful use of the resources you already have.
No one will trade you goods based on the real value of your metal, 40 cans of soup at 50 cent per can will be worth wayyyy less than your gold coin, none the less that's what you'll have to give in order to get them, and silver doesn't have the same psychological hold, a foolish man give you the last of his food for gold, but not for a over sized nickle.

>But muh economic collapse!
If the U.S turns into a commie hell hole like Venezuelan, have fun trying to get past airport screening with gold in your luggage. A foreign bank account, with in a foreign currency, is what you really need.

Gold can be a nice way of preserving your wealth in a global SHTF, but only if you have a lot of it to the point where all your other needs are meet.
>>
File: alucast_app.jpg (116KB, 940x587px) Image search: [Google]
alucast_app.jpg
116KB, 940x587px
>>35163029

it a military tactic used to identify tampering has not happened, also how companies send out ammo cans
>>
>>35163052
>name one place that uses gold
>Venezuela
>Germany literally told Italy to pay its debts with their gold
>the Chinese are preparing a gold-backed oil purchase contract to exchange with Russians for their oil
That's three from this year alone.

The US Dollar has literally lost over 90 percent of its value since the 1970s. Literally.
If the dollar is simply replaceable by another dollar, why would people trust the new dollar?
In the course of your diatribe, gold just kept its relative value stable against all other currencies. You didn't have to exchange your current wealth with new dollars.
Also, who's to say that the government is going to just give you the same amount of purchasing power you had before they fucked your old dollar to smithereens?

For a thread that distrusts the government because of their guns, I can't believe there's someone here on this very board that readily trusts the government with their money.
>>
>>35163070
>The US Dollar has literally lost over 90 percent of its value since the 1970s. Literally.

No it hasn't. It's increased in value by that amount.
>>
>>35163057
Sorry, I want to make America the best country in the world again. In order to do that, we must always look at reality and see what we're actually weak at. If we don't, we'll just become the 21st century version of the Roman Empire or the Qing Dynasty Chinese Empire.
>>
>>35163077
Even the CPI doesn't agree with what you said. Remember all those stories by your grandpappy that 25 cents is worth a gallon of gas back in their heyday? It's not just because gas became more expensive.
>>
>>35163066
That is actually a smart thing to do.
>>
>>35163036
Naturally occurring minerals in foodstuffs can be poisonous to humans.
>>
>>35163107
Water can be posionous to humans if inhaled.
>>
>>35163079
Alright that's okay I just got a bit heated about America getting bad mouthed. there is a finite amount of wealth in the world, majority of all the money is owned by 8-15 people. Now do you think the most greedy people in the history of the world are going to take a hit to their wealth with a currency they make most of their money with? If the U.S. dollar fails they're going to switch to a different currency for the bulk of their wealth. you think they wanna risk a truck or shipload of gold getting transported around and disappearing? They don't physically have any wealth it's a number in bank accounts. They're not just going to let that number get devalued because it's specified as a type of currency going to take a hit. The trickle down economics are going to take effect and whatever they switch to is going to be what other people switch to. Yeah the little guy is going to lose a lot of money likely in that kind of situation but everyone is likely to get switched over to whatever the dominant thing is due to free market economics. If the bulk of the wealth comes from one source like a rich person with a ton of one type of currency, people are naturally going to just want to use that one instead of trying to convert it to a different dollar or piece of gold, The screwed up currency stuff is just in places where the government will stick a gun in peoples faces and tell them how to do business like in south america or russia
>why would people trust the new dollar?
they wouldn't have much of a choice if the richest people switch, there are only so many mega wealthy people that the only reason they wouldn't switch to a stronger currency is if nobody accepted it as legal tender. If you wanted to buy something from a store would you rather have a backpack full of one type of dollar, or a handful/pocket full of a more valuable currency? people will just go with the more efficient one unless they're dumb or forced.
>>
File: 1470693382776.jpg (145KB, 757x940px) Image search: [Google]
1470693382776.jpg
145KB, 757x940px
>>35152657
>gold or silver

Neither. Both only have a good price (due to their value) in our CURRENT economic situation, where all of Maslow's pyramid steps are fulfilled and we swim at the top of the needs, tending to our individual aspirations.

In case of SHTF we drop down to the bottom, having to deal with survival and security needs. In that context the value of silver and gold will diminish drastically. Yes, people after WW1 and WW2 used gold and jewelry to MAINTAIN the value of the money they got, due to it being severely diminished by inflation. However, note WHAT they bought with their gold: a bread, a pair of shoes or a mantle. They didn't get by any means the CURRENT value out of their gold.

So, if in SHTF you can get a pair of shoes for a certain amount of gold, why not buy the shoes now, when the price is much lower than that of gold? That's the right way to go: diversify. Buy things that have high value and thus price in SHTF, when survival and security needs are no longer fulfilled.

Buy shelter, clothing, PPE, water filters, fire starters, fuel and stoves, food items, hygiene accessories, medicine, firearms, ammo, ballistic protection, etc. These are much cheaper than gold and will have a much higher value in SHTF, as they have actual uses. Gold can only be traded with someone who has enough to accept it as currency in SHTF. Someone who needs something and is willing to trade something you need might not accept a lump of metal which has no practical use except making people want to rob or kill him for it.

If you want to have safe items, get a refrigerator and fill it with spoiling medical items such as insulin and blood packs. Many people have diabetes and will give you everything for you to sell them insulin.
>>
>>35163164
>If the U.S. dollar fails they're going to switch to a different currency for the bulk of their wealth.
The richest people in the world function like countries in terms of wealth preservation. They not only have dollars and stocks/bonds from everywhere, they also have foreign reserve currencies and gold as insurance. Aside from this, they "park" their money in arable land, real estate, buildings, furniture, artifacts, fine art, and really old wine and spirits.
They'll get hit, but won't be as badly hit as the common man.
If the dollar collapses, the non-wealthy will restart with zero, but the rich won't, because they're prepared.
But if you own a small amount of gold or land or something to that effect, you essentially have preserved your wealth, what little people have anyway, even if a monetary reset happens.
The reason why gold is useful, especially in monetary resets, is because it keeps value, especially in the case where a new currency is used to replace the old currency. Like what was said before, gold is money and it is designated as such by the international markets as XAU ISO 4217. It is currently money that has no country, but has exchange rates with every other single currency in the world.
You have no assurance that the government will give you your purchasing power back with a new currency. But that won't be a problem if you have gold, because it has its own exchange rate separate with other currencies, which the new currency will have to work with on an honest basis.
That's why Venezuela can use it as money. Even when the bolivar becomes crappy, they still can use gold to buy stuff.
>>
Ammo is not good currency. Why in the living fuck would you surrender a weapon to people who might hurt you with the damn thing?
>>
>>35163070
>>35163077

The value of the money does not increase just because 1$ in 1970 became 20$ or whatever today. It's a mistake to think that more money (numerically) = more value. The opposite is true: If 1$ can buy then what 20$ can buy today, then the 1$ is worth more. Zimbabwe doubles it's currency every 24 hours, Germany after WW1 had billions and trillions of numbers on their bank notes. But they didn't buy shit.

If you inflate the amount of money you have (billions instead of 10$), they still buy the same shit. More money = money is worth less.
>>
>>35153891
disposable lighter normally last 2year self-life with or without using them
if you aren't smoker
just stockpile them
and like zippon type lighter
the gasoline should store with them
in case the fuel leak itself
and the lighter flint is good to be stockpile
even "flint" itself can start fire if you know how to use them
>>
>>35163369
>>just stockpile them
just dont
[/facepalm]
>>
Anons in this thread are talking like people will be trading gold coins for bottled water. I just don't see it. Maybe for medicine you would trade a wedding band or a single coin but not bullion.

Think about it like this:

You're 6 months into a shtf scenario. Your kid has his appendix burst. You need a doctor. That doc, having a skill in high demand, probably has food and water. Esp water, since I have a hard time imagining any med person not knowing how to purify water. But what about guns?

It's seems likely to me that any doc is going to be taken care of by whatever is left of the government but that doesn't mean their family will be protected at all tims, especially if they are working double shits at some make shift clinic.

So maybe that doc will take some ounces of gold to treat your sick kid. Or maybe not.

I would bet they would take a cheap shotgun and a few cases of ammo. After all a lot of doctors are fairly liberal leaning and s probably don't stockpile weapons.

IMHO you are better off stockpiling some cheap break open shotguns, single or double barrel. Trading one of those for a generator or fuel or what have you is the better choice.
>>
>>35153724
So are brass and copper.
>>
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is seeds. If you're planning for a long term shtf scenario, say 5-10+ years, then having a stash of heirloom seeds on hand for yourself or barter would be smart.
>>
>>35163952
>Copper AND Brass you say?!

It's like the Copper in the Brass is what makes it antimicrobial...
>>
>>35152927
go ahead and do research on how to make some basic soap. write that shit down. never worry about innawoods soap again. the real currency of SHTF will without a doubt be medicine. google how many people in your decrepid country are diagnosed with aesthma, allergic to bees, fish and other unfortunate results of advanced technology and failed natural selection. medicine will be the end all be all of anarchy. doctors will be the most protected class of any clan, and people who have the ability to produce insulin amd antibiotics would likley replace any failed state. medical institutes could become factions, if food supplies permit civilization to survive at all. maybe water could become currency, but that would cause many people to become narssistic and avoid having children that would "just waste their clean water". if i thought an SHTF senario was possible i would have gone to medical school. since SHTF is never going to happen, im at GA tech getting my electrucal engineering degree.
>>
>>35152876
>If it's a fucking warzone SHTF, then ammo would be a good currency.
ammo would be a shitty currency for some kind of localized gov to pay solidiers gaurding their walls. imagine your apocalypse infantry inable to fight off raids because they exchanged all their ammunition for alcohol pr other bullshit. now if by warzone you mean every family or man for themselves, that senario would last merely days before people form groups to better defend themselves.
>>
>>35152657 (OP)
>>35152737
>>35152876
>precious metals IE gold, silver, platnum
worthless. the only reason those metals held value in history and today is because somewhere on the planet there were people rich enough to wear them. silver was effective until population rose beyond the amount of silver on earth. the value of silver rose, and the smallest nugget of silver was worth too much to pay your farm hand for the day, even for the week. then they used copper to represent our smallest unit of pay, back when you could live on several pennies a day. inflation required more pennies to be produced, until the utility of copper in electronics made copper money retarded. yet we still waste small amounts of it on pennies anyways.
>>35156741 gets it the best
the only true currency will be medicine, craft, and skills etc.
>>
>>35164118
>ability to produce insulin

This is done from tissues that can't be improvised. You can store Insulin however in significant quantities if you got the refrigeration for it.

As for soap, you practically have four options: Classic bar soap from ash and fat, chestnuts, either raw or processed, tannin broth from coniferous trees and lastly yarrow. Those are some pretty simple ways to soapify your bubble bath time.
>>
File: 1505027966253.jpg (9KB, 253x253px) Image search: [Google]
1505027966253.jpg
9KB, 253x253px
>>35163995
Amazing insight, Anon. Truly, brass is the most interesting metal in the elemental table.
>>
>>35164227
>the only true currency will be medicine, craft, and skills etc.
It depends on what kind of shtf we're talking about.
Medicine, craft, and skills won't allow you to get through border guards to a safer country and escape shtf.
Gold can, especially if the local currency turns to shit. Unless by skills, you mean dicksucking.
>>
>>35164367
>brass
>elemental table
>>
>>35163991
I have a few hundred seeds of various vegetables and fruit seeds stashed away for long-term shtf, with a few dozen errr... umm... "other" seeds for holistic medicinal purposes...
>>
>>35162268
>your pic

I just got some of those same 1000 rd ammo boxes delivered. PSA finally had free shipping on their 30 cents a round 5.56.
>>
>>35164892
Don't heirloom seeds expire?
>>
>>35165175
Depends on the plant. Hell scientists have found seeds in ancient pottery and they have still sprouted. I have tested some of my seeds that were 10 years old and they still sprouted and bloomed.
>>
>>35165166
> https://woodburyoutfitters.com/magtech-cbc-5-56nato-m193-55gr-fmj-can-of-1000-556mil/
this has been up for while homie. free shipping too.
>>
Is there any money in vodka smuggling, and if so, how would I go about doing it?
>>
>>35154550
The economy didn't even collapse in the movie
The government still had control

SHTF situations like that are closer to natural disasters, where electricity/oil/water is far more valuable than ammo or precious metals
>>
File: Bic lighters.jpg (25KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
Bic lighters.jpg
25KB, 320x400px
>>35163369
>disposable lighter normally last 2year self-life with or without using them

Butane doesn't rot and unless the gas release lever is pressed, a Bic lighter will essentially last forever.
>>
>>35165634
>The economy didn't even collapse in the movie
the us economy as a whole didn't, but the micro economy within the quarantine zones did. they still had utilities provided by the government, but food and medicine was in limited supply. outside of the quarantine zones was a disaster too. nurses and other medical personnel went on strike because of the hours they were working in extremely unsafe conditions. global trade and travel from china and us came to a screeching halt. it could have gone very differently otherwise. then again, it is a movie.
>>
>>35152657
Small, cheap, long lasting, useful items that are easily stored in bulk

>bic lighters
>cotton swabs
>acetmetaphine
>iodine swabs
>zip ties
>bandages
>antibiotic ointment
>ferro rods
>batteries

Just a few ideas. Better to have a wide variety of trade items, that way you've always got something someone needs
>>
>>35165718
It's been awhile since I saw the movie, does it still hold up?
>>
>>35165853
>lovecraftian disease with extreme mortality
>shows the effectiveness of the cdc and who
>anti-gun matt damon steals a shotgun
>26 million dead woldwide
i fucking love it.
>>
>>35154590
I never noticed the guy grabbing his dick in the background of that pic.
>>
>>35159308
you sir have a point
>>
>>35159844
How much can someone realistically make?
>>
>>35166095
some people that are "thru hiking" the app trail stop off in cherokee national park to pan. you might get like $20-$40 worth in a days labor. if you're homeless and don't have any debt, you might make a buck.
>>
>>35161101
I cant believe what kind of authoritarian bullshit people are willing to put up with. All this because theyre so fucking paranoid about people undercutting alcohol taxes and profits. If they really cared about safety so much they wouldnt sell rubbing alcohol either, but they do so the absurdness over moonshine is purely fueled by greed.
>>
>>35163204
Rich people buy that shit because it has a reputation for being valuable and other people can only make money by convincing them to give up some of theirs. Most rich people have more money than they can figure out what to do with without hiring someone else to manage everything for them. Rich people are already ruining the economy having so much money regular people can't trade it around to keep it valuable. When they buy shit like property you get bubbles because they threw more than it was worth at it because they have a retarded amount. When it comes time to sell they spend years figuring out they already have all the piles of money nobody can afford to buy it if they even want it so the price falls down millions of dollars (how many people that made it big still live in mansions? you see it in the news a few years later "where are they now?" they lose that shit and sell it for a loss. If shtf and the dollar collapsed their golds only value is other places willing to pay for it with a different currency and they're not going to offer friendly rates they're going to act like any salesmen and try to get as much as fucking possible.
Nobody is ever going back to a barter system with gold, bic lighters, and bullets in exchange for other items or services except on rare occassions because they're not going to want to spend their time trying to trade off the excess shit they have and don't need. Dollars are just going to stick around and people will value them differently. Might be different looking dollars. It's not going back to pre-electricity/electronics era's even if everything collapses people will spend their time trying to figure out how to keep shit that was already made working and making new stuff. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.
>>
>>35161816
>bic lighters
This. I went on a camping trip for 10 days with like 35 people and I brang 5 lighters and everyone else brought 1 and by the end I had given all my lighters away to people that ran out of lighter fluid.

Buying actual butane tanks is a good idea. So is having kerosene lamps and kerosene that can use diesel fuel in a pinch (but will be smelly).
>>
File: juggalos.jpg (138KB, 902x601px) Image search: [Google]
juggalos.jpg
138KB, 902x601px
>>35162837
>Alright I don't know why you're thinking gold is going to be worth more dollars if dollars fail.
Is it really possible that there are anons this fucking retarded? Where do they come from? Is this autism or something more like down syndrome or a learning disability?
>>
>>35164820
>depends on what kind of shtf we're talking about.
Medicine, craft, and skills won't allow you to get through border guards to a safer country and escape shtf.
Gold can
if there is few enough gaurds for one to get away with being bribed there is few enough gaurds to be killed to allow entry. nothing stops a border gaurd from taking the bribe AND STILL having you arrested, which is modern north koreas bribery policy.
>>
>>35166259
>Medicine, craft, and skills won't allow you to get through border guards to a safer country and escape shtf.

If you haven't moved yet you won't do shit. Best trick is to JOIN whoever has power.

It doesn't matter who wins. Practical people side with success for their own benefit. If you are capable and prepared, join a fighting force like everyone sane in nations where SHTF is normal.

All the fantasies about surviving on your own are monstrously stupid. Teamwork wins. Individuals are just prey.
>>
>>35164311
>Classic bar soap from ash and fat
if you cant find these you arent eating anyway
>>
>>35166233
If SHTF, and you had cases of bottled water, how many water bottles would you give away for some dudes gold wedding band?

If the answer is less than 500, the value of gold fell (relative to the value of drinkable water)
>>
>>35166302
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeVWupFBkA8
>>
>>35166336
/motherfucking thread
>>
>>35166233
Hey genius, things are only worth what people will pay for it.
If you have 300 million people, and only a few thousand of them have gold, do you really think millions of people are going to suddenly start thinking gold is valuable? They're going to tell you to kiss their ass and come back with some dollar bills. If your dollar is less valuable gold isn't more valuable. If everyone else is still paying the same amount with a different currency they're not paying more for it because the value didn't go up. In fact, gold gets less valuable if dollars get less value. You get more dollars but they are not as useful, the thing you're buying with your gold is less valuable you're not preserving any value trading 1 dollar for 1 gram of gold if your one dollar devalues to people only accepting it instead of 50 cents, they're not going to accept your 1 gram of gold as 1 dollar still. They're probably going to think your gold is fucking fake and tell you to kiss off.
I swear this is worse than the time I had to explain to anons on r9k that the > sign can be flipped around to < and the two points is the bigger value it doesn't matter which side the bigger value is on. How do these fucking dumb people make more money than me I should kms
>>
File: fuckingmoney.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingmoney.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>35166177
>Richpeople are already ruining the economy
>When they buy shit like property you get bubble
>Dollars are just going to stick around
>You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

1. First off wew lad your resentment towards the rich is irrational. I dont know what commie teacher put these things in your mind but i can tell you haven't thought about this yourself. Know what trickle down economics is? Most people say it's untrue because of "muh 1 percent" wealth distribution but this doesn't take into account how good the standard of living and purchasing power is for people even able to make one hundredth millionth of what the richest people are able to make. If 99 percent of people are able to live reasonably comfortably it's not a good idea to punish the 1 percent capable of making astronomical amounts because our needs are already met and then we risk disincentivising innovation and production.

IF Elon Musk suddenly only gets to keep whatever bullshit amount of money your little jealous brain determines is fair then human beings may never colonize Mars and get off planet Earth, which is directly related to the survival of humans as a species!!! In the future we may see asteroid mining incentivize many entrepreneurs to colonize the solar system and wealth redistribution would make this more unlikely. This is one of the many reasons communism threatens the survival the human race.

Back to trickle down economics: it's at work all around us everyday and to prove it look at the goddamn interest rates. They're low, perhaps too low, and they could still be much higher and we could point to it and say that it's relatively low historically and rich people are providing average people the chance to make their dreams come true by financing the start up capital of businesses and innovation. Below is a video describing how easy it is to acquire start up capital and you can thank "le ebil rich oppressors" for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjcIRQuCXr0
>>
>>35166177

More on trickle down economics: business loans are not the only way you can get money from rich people to start a business. Crowd funding is now popular and the internet makes it fairly easy. Many of the donors on kick starter are often very wealthy people and without them creative projects would not get as much money. Furthermore things like patreon also undoubtedly benefit from wealthy individuals, and there are plenty of people who do not have to work in an office and instead get to do what they love thanks to services like this and wealthy individuals.

There are thousands of examples of how rich people help normal individuals profit and I cannot list them all but they but they are helping. And also the very idea of being rich fuels creativity and innovation and gives people a goal to work towards. Additionally rich people take care of their communities and undoubtedly help those around them like their friends and family and neighbors, and the greatest philanthropists of the world have been wealthy capitalists. That is not to say that all rich people are perfect but rather they are a vital part of our world and directly contribute to our comfort and standard of living and the oppertunities available to us.
>>
>>35166177

2. Speculative markets are like a game which rewards intelligence and analytical thinking. Do you think poker is evil? Speculative markets and poker exist as peculiar by-product of free trade and ownership in general. Native Americans used to play games with sea shells, which they used as currency, and we can only imagine that the smarter Indians won these games more often than the dumber Indians.

Rather than being pissed off that smarter people are able to profit in these novel ways you should take comfort in knowing there are particular instances where freedom rewards intelligence and it should motivate you to be more intelligent instead of whining and complaining. Many of the original investors in Bitcoin were nerds and tech geeks who lived in their mothers basement but when wealthier people started pouring money into bitcoin the original investors became rich, and therefor speculative markets serve as a natural form of wealth redistribution which rewards intelligence and analytical thinking. Even this year we saw many new people invest in bitcoin and then surges of investment from those who are considered traditionally wealthy and then the new investors got a piece of their wealth.

Poker does a similar thing and then are many very autistically smart people who game wealthy normies and turn into the next Dan Bilzerian. I dont understand how that doesnt appeal to anons, because it if you study and learn about poker enough you can go down to your local casino and lure rich normies into giving you their money. And there was the online poker boom about 10 years ago which also favored nerdy autistic individuals and gave them a chance to take a piece of stupid people's money.
>>
File: hqdefault (12).jpg (52KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (12).jpg
52KB, 480x360px
>>35166177

Speculative markets around property are much more insidious because people rely on their property purchases for shelter and well being and also because the government and large financial institutions are involved in the market and arguably caused crashes such as the one in 2008. There is both arguments for less regulation because institutions make mistakes and cause crashes, and specifically because they also can "protect" average people just looking to buy a house or invest their money.

The truth is that less regulation is healthier because the market becomes more predictable then and intelligence and analysis allows for reasonable prediction, but regulation would favor insider knowledge. The problem is obviously that average people are unable to quickly trade property like stocks or crypto currency and need a place to live and I suggest that we have a separate protected market for people like this and they should pay a "penalty" or insurance agency to protect them from the market. In Europe for example there is insurance for property owners that hedge against market swings.

Many economist predict the property market is in another bubble right now and is going to burst soon as well as the dollar. The problem is that the government bailed out financial institutions in 2008 so the cancer has only been growing since and the same thing happened with the Euro. So I would suggest people to hedge against this by buying gold. There is a website which allows you to buy gold and have it back a debit acount so you can spend your gold like dollars.
>https://www.goldmoney.com/

Podcast with Peter Schiff where warns about the market now and he predicted the housing bubble in 2008:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by1OgqQQANg
>>
File: dollar_down.gif (4KB, 241x85px) Image search: [Google]
dollar_down.gif
4KB, 241x85px
>>35166177

3. The dollar is in a crisis right now and is about to crash. There is a chance that the government will bail out financial institutions again or do something to save the dollar, especially because Trump seems to be putting his brand on the economy and bragging about it but many economists think that the federal reserve is trying to signal that theyre healthy when they are not so that Trump takes responsibility for the economy and then the federal reserve will be able to dump it on him and make him look like the bad guy. They are prepping Trump to be the fall guy for the next crash.

The government only fed the cancer in 2008 and when they "saved" the Euro. In a perfect world they would let them crash but they felt the need to protect the average individual, but these individuals should have protected themselves against a crash by hedging against the dollar and housing markets. Gold would have been a good asset to do this. And I cannot stress enough how you guys should be buying gold right now and if you have any property you need to sell make sure to do it as soon as possible.

In SHTF scenario the chances of the $ keeping it's value are incredibly small. It depends on the circumstances and the severity of the scenario but its much easier to imagine the creation of a new currency after a SHTF event than going back to the original dollar and trying to respect people's old bank accounts. It's absolutely worthless to speculate this way and the only sensible thing to speculate in is Gold and other tangible assets such as property or fuel or medications or whatever else. It's a catch-22 though because property values may crash soon, although in SHTF property is extremely valuable but you have to also know how you are going to protect it because people may try to steal property.
>>
File: gold_debit_card.png (63KB, 350x215px) Image search: [Google]
gold_debit_card.png
63KB, 350x215px
>>35166177

4. This goes for crashes as well as valuation though. Once the signal to sell the dollar is "correctly" (everything is relative) interpreted then it will exponentially crash as people try to get out. The problem is that the dollar has no real value and is only backed by the institutions which issue it. The dollar has a connection to oil but this is also vulnerable to politics and energy demands and production. Trying to speculate long term in FIAT currency is worthless because unless you are an insider you are controlled by outside forces. And in a SHTF scenario supposedly those outside forces will overwhelm our traditional institutions which back currency. Relying on people's good will to remain valuing the dollar makes you vulnerable and controlled by others while speculating on other tangible assets makes you in control of your destiny. Its obvious which one is the safer.

Gold may still hold value in a SHTF scenario because people will speculate that it will become valuable again as soon as communities and society as a whole gets their shit together again. There is only one way which the value of gold will go with relation to the structure of civilization which is up. As civilization rebuilds itself gold will only become more valuable while with any currency there are a multitude of scenarios imaginable which may or may not give the currency any value whatsoever. Thats why gold is the more robust investment.

Ofc relying on gold is not recommended and its always good to diversify your portfolio to make it have the best possible chance of holding value in a wide array of different circumstances. Thats why people who have a bunker full of diesel fuel and medications and ammunition and guns are going to be better off than a guy with just gold. But the guy with just gold will surely be able to find buyers of his gold but depending on the serverity of the situation it may or may not have immediate value.
>>
File: goldchipringrecycled.jpg (99KB, 805x625px) Image search: [Google]
goldchipringrecycled.jpg
99KB, 805x625px
>>35166336
>If SHTF, and you had cases of bottled water, how many water bottles would you give away for some dudes gold wedding band?

Easy I would trade as much water as I could while still guaranteeing my survival. But i see what you are trying to say, and that is that things which are immediately useful are worth more relatively speaking which is true but youre assuming that SHTF would be a constant struggle to survive and negating how prepared someone may be or possible diminishing danger and struggle. Sure if SHTF just happened 2 hours ago water may be more valuable than gold but 3 weeks after an event people who have succeeded in protecting their safety, may already begin speculating on what kinds of profit they can make by trading for traditionally valuable items. Imagine some woman hobbles up to your encampment and trades her wedding ring for temporary nourishment and safety. That wedding ring may be valuable in a matter of time and whether you can afford to wait that long in reaping your investment is determined by your relative safety in that moment.

>If the answer is less than 500, the value of gold fell (relative to the value of drinkable water)

Just because the value has fallen does not mean the gold does not still hold some value.

And the original statement was:
>Alright I don't know why you're thinking gold is going to be worth more dollars if dollars fail.

Which is intrinsically wrong. If dollars fail completely then gold has to be more valued than pieces of paper by definition. Gold is a metal and still retains some intrinsic value no matter what because some industrial processes rely on it. For example: modern computers rely on gold. There may be other ways to produce computer components but the established methods of production rely on gold. But also by definition if dollars fall in value you are able to trade gold for more dollars. And historically gold has always gone up in *demand* when currencies crash.
>>
>>35152657
>buy extra supplies
>trade for precious metals when shtf
>sell off for lots of money after shtf
>repeat
it's just business
>>
>>35166475
>If you have 300 million people, and only a few thousand of them have gold
Then those thousand people would have something which potentially millions of people may have a demand for..

>They're going to tell you to kiss their ass and come back with some dollar bills.
Can you make microchips with green paper?

>If your dollar is less valuable gold isn't more valuable.
It surely is in relation to the crashing currency *by definition* because the crashed currency has less purchasing power and a major currency like the dollar crashing erodes confidence in FIAT currency as a whole and historically when currencies have less confidence people on average tend to seek a means of holding their value which they are more confident in. Historically gold has always held some value, even if localized populations may not value it as much temporarily because of pressing circumstances, but even in those pressing circumstances some people are still willing to trade for gold because they may have the means to protect themselves sufficiently and be able to spare resources in an effort to secure some gold so that in the future they may be able to sell the gold.

>If everyone else is still paying the same amount with a different currency they're not paying more for it because the value didn't go up.
Can you understand how major currencies crashing could erode the confidence in FIAT currency. Right now people are brainwashed by financial institutions into thinking that their paper has value but when they see major crashes that wakes them up and they realize they need a tangible asset. Gold historically has always held some value even if temporarily the demand goes down, but it *always* goes back up. Gold has held value since agriculture was invented arguably and has been found in grave sites dating back to 4000 BC.

>In fact, gold gets less valuable if dollars get less value.
This is intrinsically untrue and what makes me think you are in fact retarded, or delusional.
>>
>>35166475
>You get more dollars but they are not as useful, the thing you're buying with your gold is less valuable you're not preserving any value trading 1 dollar for 1 gram of gold if your one dollar devalues to people only accepting it instead of 50 cents, they're not going to accept your 1 gram of gold as 1 dollar still.
You are not taking into account confidence in FIAT currency as a concept. I cannot say this enough, but when currencies are perceived as weak or unstable people have historically sought more tangible ways of holding their value. Gold is a kind of midway between something with tangible value and a currency because it does have some intrinsic value always, like micro chip manufacturing, and has historically been proven to be the most stable and robust form of "currency" but its not *just* a currency.

>They're probably going to think your gold is fucking fake and tell you to kiss off.
Hmm if only over the thousands of years people have been trading gold they would have figured out reliable and inexpensive ways of testing whether it's real? Oh wait..
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_test_(gold)

>I swear this is worse than the time I had to explain to anons on r9k.. How do these fucking dumb people make more money than me I should kms

Anon I will excuse you for failing to consider the confidence FIAT currency in general. Just remember that as confidence in FIAT currency falls people look for more tangible forms of holding their value and also remember that many currencies used to be backed by gold, ie the gold standard. I understand what you were trying to say about the relative purchasing power of a currency but you have to consider the public's confidence in currency as a concept. There are other assets which people use to secure their value as well as gold but historically gold has been very robust and it's available to anyone.

Chimping out and blaming others when you dont understand something only serves to prevent you from learning.
>>
>>35156896
>quarantine scenario in the movie contagion
dude just stop the mental gymnastics, your never going to have a barter gold stash in a shtf scenario
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>35168304
>>
>>35156896
(((Somebody))) will take gold because they think it will have value in the future.

>>35168304
Happens in prison/jail, refugee camps, rehabs, things like that all the time.

>>35168517
Stawp
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.