[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Antique firearm care

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: Cooper-Pocket-Model-LH.jpg (169KB, 1750x935px) Image search: [Google]
Cooper-Pocket-Model-LH.jpg
169KB, 1750x935px
Hey /k/ nofuns poorfag here,

I recently inherited an antique revolver (pic related) but I'm not sure how to properly store it. I have no real intention of firing it (though I did check to make sure the action works and the chamber moves properly) but I'd like to keep it in the condition it's in. It's one of the few things that my grandfather specifically wanted me to have and I feel its my duty to properly care for it and pass it on when the time is right.

Any suggestions on how to properly keep it so it doesn't deteriorate? I don't intend on handling it much aside from pulling it out once in a blue moon to gawk at it and remember my grandfather if that helps at all.
>>
File: SA1029.jpg (44KB, 560x521px) Image search: [Google]
SA1029.jpg
44KB, 560x521px
>>35147324
>Any suggestions on how to properly keep it so it doesn't deteriorate?
Stable, low humidity. Stable being more important than low, just make sure there are no dramatic swings.

Wear gloves when handling it.

Keep it dust free.

It would be best to simply buy a case and leave it there, something like pic related.
>>
>>35147527
>Stable, low humidity. Stable being more important than low, just make sure there are no dramatic swings.

I was thinking of getting a simple humidor for it, obviously not filling the humidifier or even using it
>>
>>35147589
>humidor
Don't really know much about those, but aren't they supposed to keep the air pretty moist? 40%-50% humidity would be best.
>>
>>35147665
They're meant to regulate humidity. In order to get them humid you need to add moisture to them with humidifiers of one sort or another
>>
>>35147324
Is this actually an antique, or is it just a repro that he mail ordered in the 50s-60s for a few bucks when the cowboy popularity boom happened?
>>
>>35148071
Well the two different guys I took it to said it was real so take that for whatever that's worth and he swore that his grandfather gave it to him back when he came back from WW2, which would be the right age range.
>>
>>35148169
Just making sure you didn't just assume that, because the massive boom in cowboy popularity during the 50s and 60s did lead to people having cheap repros laying around and I've seen people who needed to have that pointed out to them before because they just assumed their family member had an original because they found it in a box somewhere after that family member died.
>>
>>35148211
I believe it. But knowing him, he pretty much always wanted anything authentic and he definitely had the money for it.
>>
>>35148071
If it's a double action like the pic shows, it's a legit antique, and a fairly rare one at that. If it's just a single action, then it's probably a repro.
>>
>>35147324
its a pieta

fuck off
>>
>>35148797
so gay muh 'expert' bullshit spewer
double action 1851 lol kek fat

its an Italian repro
>>
http://weaponsman.com/?p=36661

Fucking bullshit. I've handled dozens of fakes that look just like this.
>>
>>35149054
Niggers like you should know their place before they try to correct someone. Your kind shouldn't walk free.

Gun in pic is a double action Cooper revolver. Closest looking repro is the Colt 1849 pocket model, which isn't DA, or the 1851, which isn't DA and is also bigger. If OP would provide an actual pic that would help quite a bit.
>>
>>35149152
I've made two of these and defarbed them for private buyers using pieta parts.

Sorry.
>>
>>35149152
Any percussion or flint gun worth a fuck is defarbed and copied these days. Anyone who collects old guns is an idiot. As soon as they are worth anything they get copied now. Half the shit riock island sells as antique flintlocks and percussions is defarbed repros or composites (where some antique parts are mixed with originals). Especially flintlocks.
>>
>>35149277
>>35149317
>expects anyone to believe this
>>
>>35149353
Its the truth take it or leave it, Plenty of companies advertising that will build you defarbed copies of any civil war era gun go look. The best have a few original parts thrown in.
>>
Any US civil war gun or blade is basically only worth the price of a repro now unless it has been evidenced as being in the one place since 1865. There are even people making and defarbing csa pikes. The ageing is basically an established art. All the buyer has to do is remove the serial...which is already relocated and tiny by the farber

here one example

http://harpersferrycivilwarguns.com/services

All auctions are full of them
>>
>>35149353
So there you go. You learned something. Old guns and swords are fucking worthless and the rich pricks who buy them don't know the difference anyway. Fuck em. Defarbing rocks how else could the average guy get one to play with that looks like the original?
>>
>>35147324
Eezox will treat it semipermanently. You should shoot it, they're fun as hell.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.