[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we get a gun care/gun hygiene thread going? Let's discuss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: Rusty-gun.jpg (219KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
Rusty-gun.jpg
219KB, 1000x500px
Can we get a gun care/gun hygiene thread going? Let's discuss how you take care of your friends /k/. The best ways to keep them functioning and rust free. What you use, how long you clean, how thorough, how often, etc...

Which oils are best for rust prevention?
I use remoil and hoppes9 on my 4 guns. And when I'm finished I drop some oil in the ejection port and rack the slide/charging handle/pump it a few times and run an oiled cloth down the barrel before I stow them.
>>
I use pure homemade bear grease on everything. Whether it's metal, leather, or wood it's getting a nice protective layer of the stuff
>>
>>35144913
Are your guns going bald?
>>
hoppes bore cleaner and ballistol, although I'm fed up with how bad it smells, I'm looking for something less stinky.
>>
There is a relatively local brand called Blue Line Gun Care where I'm at. It beats anything I tried in the past. Very effective in knocking carbon out and the oil works great too. Viscous enough to not drip all over the place. I still use grease over it on my AK, VZ, bolt actions and MK23 barrel though. I don't really care that its odorless but I really appreciate how it doesn't eat away any finishes. Hell even Arsenal AK's weak finishes weren't blemished by this thing.
>>
>>35144885
What flavor of beef jerky is that?
>>
>>35145271
Ballistol smells amazing. It's non-carcinogenic too so you can huff it all day guilt-free.
>>
>>35145357
it's not bad but I live in an apartment and it's entirely too strong for such a small space. even with good ventilation
>>
>>35145318
Cosmolone-flavored.
>>
File: 1503271716088.jpg (85KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1503271716088.jpg
85KB, 800x600px
bimzongle
>>
>own one gun
>clean it meticulously, different products for the action, bore, lubrication, and storage

>own a few guns
>hoppes to clean, gun oil to lube, sounds good to me

>own many guns
>JUST FEGGIN DUMP SOME USED MOTOR OIL ON IT GOOD ENUFF MATE
>>
I use a harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner. It gets everything far, far cleaner than the old fashioned way and it works the grime in areas you could not reach otherwise.

For solution I just use water, ammonia, and a couple drops of Dawn.

Just don't drop your pistol whole in the cleaner. Take things apart and dry thoroughly with compressed air after use.
>>
I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner on metal and electrical contact cleaner if there's plastic. Bore Scrubber in the bore. Then I lube with Gun Butter because I like how it stays put and doesn't separate. Very slick stuff and comes with a nice applicator.

Rate /10.
>>
>>35146422
Precision rifles for the first

ARs and handguns for the second

The last one. 22lr never gets cleaned but if I feel guilty that'll be how it gets done.
>>
>>35146506
>destroying your guns
>>
>>35146696
simply WAT

The ultrasonic is definitely gentler than slathering your guns in harsh solvents and rubbing the grime away with wires brushes and shit.

>b b but water hurts your guns
Dumbass.
>>
What should I do to prevent more rust? Could I put refinish it?
>>
>>35147027
AMMONIA
>>
>>35147114
Cold blue.
>>
File: DSC_0007s.jpg (489KB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0007s.jpg
489KB, 1728x1152px
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/141077-Results-of-gun-care-product-evaluation
Hoppes #9/Gunslick Pro foaming bore cleaner for bore and bolt, let it sit for 15 mins, clean/lube everything else with Hornady One Shot and nylon brush, run boresnake/patch+jag through bore and follow up with One Shot and another pass through with a clean boresnake/patch.

For my Victory, I'll sometimes use "the dip" to clean out the compensator, then dunk it and the bolt in the sonic cleaner with diluted purple degreaser.
>>
Was just about to make a thread like this. I've been using Real Avid bore snakes for cleaning, it's fun to thread them through. Been using Hoppes #9 to clean the bore, then CLP as lube (originally bought it to do-everything and then bought the Hoppes to ensure the bore is cleaned right). I have some plastic picks and brushes in metal and plastic for cleaning the mechanisms and a bunch of little swabs that I use the pick to drag around. I just got a .22 revolver and think I should get a normal cleaning rod with a handle and extenders to thread out long, keep it in my innawoods bag with the bristles and a swab holder for whatever I carry. It seems most reviews on the cleaning rods Amazon carries are that they are fragile and can bend.

What does /k/ recommend for cleaning rod kits that's compact and durable?
>>
>>35147705
And? My guns aren't made of brass or copper alloys so what do I have to fear?
>>
This looks like it covers most bases. Looks like the next level up above all these aluminium ones like the Hoppes one are significantly more expensive carbon fiber rods from Cabelas and all. I need something to clean my shotgun as well as my .22 handgun; already have bore snakes for the Mosin and 380.

https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-28pcs-Universal-Cleaning-Carrying/dp/B01HD17S3A
>>
>>35146396
much helpful sciencing, thanks anon
>>
>>35145271
don't know about ballistol, but i think hoppes smells good. Like bananas
>>
>>35151057
>>35145271

Hoppes actually has a line of cleaner/oil called Elite it works really well. No odor on the cleaner or the oil and the oil is clear and doesn't gunk. Bit pricey, but it works very nice.

https://www.amazon.com/HOPPES-Elite-EGCOTG-Pillow-Packs/dp/B00529KRVG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1505276724&sr=8-7&keywords=Hoppes+Elite
>>
Some NRA guys say gun cleaning kits are bullshit

http://www.nraguncare.com/blog/the-truth-about-gun-cleaning-kits/

What's that all about?
>>
>>35146396
pretty helpful until you realize some fag is a cleveland browns fan
>>
>>35148937
Bought the same thing at gander mountain not too long ago. Actually helps a lot. I put hoppes on the white sponge thing and force fuck my barrels. Really gets them clean.
>>
>>35146396
Eezox Masterrace?
>>
File: 1428880283578.jpg (325KB, 1770x804px) Image search: [Google]
1428880283578.jpg
325KB, 1770x804px
>>
>>35155024
My inner /b/ is happy because troll and luls
My inner /k/ want to ventillate the infidel.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.