[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I Enlist, Lads?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1095.png (121KB, 480x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1095.png
121KB, 480x445px
Thinking about enlisting in the Army. I'm in my mid 20's, have a bachelors degree, and am currently finishing a separate associates degree in IT Security. I'm fuckin bored as hell with my desk job, still live with my parents, and just feel like I'm in a rut. I feel like I need something new and different to drag me forward. Any Army or other Military anons have input? My second option would be the Navy to try and become a SEAL
>>
>>35141435
>bachelors degree
Join border patrol, if you have a bachelors, you automatically get promoted to the 49K starting salary

https://www.cbp.gov/careers

https://www.cbp.gov/careers/apply-now
>>
Enjoy being treated like absolute shit for 4 years while being paid fucking nothing.

I don't regret it because im a nurse now and like it. Plus I had to join so I could have a fucking job, what with my useless writing degree. My hospital isnt that bad to us, and I love working the floor with the LT's and civilians and corpmen I work with.

But that's just job satisfaction. Whether you get that depends on your MOS, chain of command, and duty station. A coin toss.
>>
>>35141435
Go officer, dont go infantry.
>>
>>35141435
Go O or don't go at all. If you enlist with a BA you're going to get shat on by people younger than you that got rank through attrition and you're going to be one of those entitled shitters that make my head hurt as SNCO.
>>
File: border patrol.png (116KB, 1198x997px) Image search: [Google]
border patrol.png
116KB, 1198x997px
>>35141478
do it op
>>
>>35141502
>>35141529
>>35141538
See that was my next question. Can I straight up join as an officer since I have a bachelors? That would be the only way I'd enlist. And for the anon with the writing degree, were you able to enlist as an officer?

>>35141478
>>35141552
I honestly didn't even think of border patrol. Thanks for the tip
>>
>>35141590
Yes, you can proceed straight to the Officer Circlejerk with a Bachelors. You aren't enlisting, you are commissioning that way. Please show up at my Group, I can't wait to fuck you up.
>>
>>35141590
It's literally 2017, and grunts know how to use Google. You're a fucking college graduate and you can't figure this shit out? Never join, you're the type to get people killed Vietnam style.
>>
File: IMG_0433.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0433.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
Not OP but I have a bachelors in moonspeak. I wanted to go for Navy OCS, but now I have a cushy desk job with good benefits. Would it be worth it to join the reserves or NG to make some extra money and scratch my itch of joining the military? I feel like I'll regret it when I'm old if I never join.
>>
>>35141667
We don't need more no timers in the Guard, go serve for real for a while and then cross over.
>>
>>35141690
I'm too old to enlist, and almost too old to go O unless I get a waiver for nuke school or something of that nature (I'm 28).
>>
>>35141617
what is your problem with officers
>>
Lol. Wanna become a real Devil Dog? Join the marines, its the branch that ACTUALLY wins wars.
>>
>>35141713
Marines are fucking tough bastards, but my grandfather was in the Army so I suppose I just have a bit of bias in that regard.
>>
>>35141709
idk about him but ive noticed that here in canada, a lot of non-commissioned members that become officers later are real entitled jerks

theyre not especially incompetent and usually they have at least done a trades course so they bring that knowledge to the junior officer ranks but damn theyre just unpleasant people 99% of the time

that said, i havent observed the same of similarly ranked officers who joined directly into officer-dom. i think its because the NCMs who re-join as officers tend to be younger, and tend to be in university still -- even the juniormost officers who join as officers tend to be at least 25 and already worn down and wrinkled and leathery from undergrad studies in uni and often already having families and kids
>>
>>35141709
My problem with them is the stupid fucking junior enlisted keep fucking them and it's creating a huge headache for me. I can't actually do shit to O's in real life, so I'm going to shit on them online.
>>
>>35141757
if you were a jag or in some kind of nco role you would be able to do something

so im gonna assume that youve been LITERALLY KEKED by junior officers in recent memory
>>
>>35141798
Is this some fresh new pasta?
>>
>>35141806
you got defensive quick. what was her name? stacey? laquisha? perhaps crystal. i assure you, anon, there are more fish in the sea, and most of the sea is non-military personnel. you dont need to tip your beret at every female who signs up for basic
>>
OP here. I should also clarify that another huge driving factor is that sweet student loan repayment the Army does. From what I've ready they'll be able to cover all of my student loans.
>>
>>35141478
Or ICE. If you've got the abilities and a degree you can try for them. Get to shoot at brown people, what more could you ask for.
>>
Do ROTC and get commissioned as an officer. Or go for OCS. Unless you go option 40 or 18X, you're much better off becoming an officer and exempting yourself from much of the bullshit. The retirement pay for an officer is far better too. Job prospects after you're out are worlds better because you have college and exerience as well as the sweet tax break a company gets for hiring you (or that you could use to your own benefit for having a veteran owned business). Their wives are hotter too because a woman knows she's with someone who has their shit together. If I could go back in time, I would have done that instead of going enlisted.
>>
If you are not sure, don't do this.
>>
>>35141707
You can commission or enlist into your 30s. Some branches are a little more stringent than others. You could enlist in the National Guard or Reserves, go for OCS and apply for an active duty commission too if you want a small taste of being enlisted. It'll show you enough that you could go active duty enlisted if you change your mind, but the officer track is much better.
>>
dumb frogposter
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.