[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"One rifle solution"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

Hello /k/,

I live in an area where deer, elk, and bear are very prevalent. I'm looking to get my first real rifle, but am split between an AR platform solution (maybe exchange the uppers depending on my current need) or a non modular solution (Savage axis, AK, did). Does anyone have some advice on how I can optimize my first purchase? I have heard a lot of negative criticism about hunting with an AR as well, but I'm not sure if people are just traditionalists.

Thanks!
>>
.50 bmg
>>
>>35137462
Sks* autocorrectes to "did"
>>
>>35137469
.50 beo maybe, memes aside
>>
>>35137462
No such thing as one rifle that can do it all. The sooner you accept that the better, because we all eventually do in this hobby.

Sounds like you want something sufficient for large mammal defense/hunting and fighting 2 legged mammals in one rifle. It's probably better split into 2. If you frame the question into what you want to do kinetically, the better your answers will be.
>>
>>35137519
Incredibly helpful, thank you. Kinetically, I want a rifle that can hunt deer, elk, and deer from a medium range successfully. Deer and Elk are the main two though. Additionally, a home defence, SHTF rifle for short to medium range engagements. Hope this helps!
>>
>>35137462
I would look at a bolt action in something like .270,.30-06, .308 for your elk/deer gun.

However you could get an ar in .308 and it may be alright but I'm guessing you live out west? If so you will have long distances where a good bolt action will shine accuracy wise. Also the need for a very high power scope which I wouldnt want to shit up an AR with.

And like >>35137519 said, find the attributes that make a gun good for deer, or whatever, and pick the best gun for you. also google this shit, "good elk rifles" or "best lightweight elk rifles" if you want to hike a bunch.
>>
>>35137598
Weight is for sure a consideration I need to make, thanks. Home defence would be under 100 yards sight distance, so something that would ideally do the job without over penetration. I have heard 300 black out is a good round for this?
>>
>>35137541
That's what I suspected. For the former, you want something that has sufficient power. .308 is not strictly optimal, but it would work and is available/cheap enough to start with. Other options would be 30-06 and other full power rifle cartridges. There's lots of affordable bolt guns available, such as Savage axis, ruger American, etc. One to consider is the Savage scout, which has iron sights that most bolt guns don't have now.

For defense, you ideally want an intermediate cartridge, ie, 5.56 or 7.62x39. maybe 5.45. Don't even consider one of the fancy cartridges, you won't be able to shoot enough in a meaningful way. Ar or ak, anything else doesn't make sense from a cost perspective.

Some might suggest a 308 battle rifle like a ptr, ar-10, etc. I would not recommend for a first rifle. You'll have a much easier time learning with a bolt gun for long range shooting for accuracy and an intermediate cartridge for defensive shooting. 308 gas guns are challenging in that they're sensitive to technique for accuracy and are harder to shoot fast follow-up shots.
>>
>>35137629
If you want to go light I think tikka makes some lighter ones, not sure on prices though, and a lighter gun will kick a lot more, most bolt guns are quite heavy.

Also look to make your gear(pack, clothes,etc) lighter if a spendy rifle isn't option. Also look at single shot break action rifles, they can be had for cheap.some Rossis came with extra barrel for shotgun shells, or .22lr
>>
>>35137462
get an ar-15 lower and build whatever upper you want. you can literally use the same lower for dozens of calibers. a 270 to 30 caliber bullet is plenty for all of those animals you listed. that's pretty much 6.5 grendel, 6.8 spc, and 300 blk. 5.56 should only be used on varmint like hog, coyotes, and the like. you can stretch 5.56 to use on white tail if you use 70+ grain bullets at ranges closer than 450m. you can also use the ar platform for bigger calibers like 458 socom, 450 bushmaster, and 50 beowulf. the ar is pretty much a tool box; put the tools in the box for the job.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR_platform_calibers
>>
>>35137462
>.223
deer maybe, elk maaaaaaaybe, bear no
you could do an AR10 but AK will be cheaper to feed
>>
45-70. Excellent gun for all 3. Plus it helps for out of state hunting in places like ohio and michigan etc. where only straight-walled cartidges are allowed
>>
>>35137462

AR-10

.308 will tackle everything you listed.
>>
>>35137629
300 Blackout is comparable to 30-30 and 7.62.x39mm (i.e. .30 caliber bullet with less powder behind it). It would work fine on deer and black bear and I don't see why it would not be okay for HD. I don't know if elk would be too big, but I do know that it would probably just make a brown bear angry.
>>
>>35137629
I disagree with the current hand wringing on over-penetration. Any cartridge that is sufficient for rapid incapacitation will penetrate several layers of modern building materials.

Some anons have mentioned ARs with other calibers for hunting. The problem the ar-15 is limited in cartridge length, which means any of those with sufficient mass against the larger animals (.458 socom, .50 beowulf, etc) will lose too much velocity at range. Plus there's the cost of another upper, which you could realistically get another rifle for.
>>
>>35137849
Only if he reloads, shit's expensive. I'm told that .45-70 is easier to reload and almost idiot proof with black powder.
>>
>>35137966
>>35137629
To add to this, 300 blackout does not have the power for taking large game humanely at medium range (which I'm defining as 200-600 yards). It basically drops like a rock after 200. It's also an expensive 7.62*39 or 30-30, like >>35137957 said. Good for sub 300 lb mammals at 200 and in, not much else.
>>
>>35137462
I've got a tikka t-3 lite in 30-06 and I love it. 30-06 might be a fudd round but it's great for killing just about any big game animal found in North America.
>>
>>35137462
Honestly, the one gun that comes closest to a "do it all" is a 12 gauge shotgun.
>>
>>35137876
.308 will, but the question is can OP handle a 308 gas gun? I think this is a non-trivial issue for a first rifle. It's a lot harder to shoot than a 5.56 gas gun or a .308 bolt gun. Also, given the prices today, you could get a .308 bolt gun and a AR-15 for the same price, so...
>>
File: He's_right_you_know.jpg (72KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
He's_right_you_know.jpg
72KB, 800x598px
>>35138047
>>
>>35138047
This.

Longer-ish (150yds) range?
>28" Rifled choke for Rifled (you can also get sabots as an addition to the slug) slugs.
>Same barrel with a full choke for birds, whatever shot that doesn't explode the poor thing.

HD?
>18.5" with a brake or suppressor (yes they make them for shotguns).
>2.75" or 3" #4 or 00 Buck.

Not to mention handloading shot shells is pretty easy.
>>
>>35137462
>bear
An AR-308 would do you good, in case you fuck up and are gonna get mauled

And im an AK guy
>>
.45-70 marlin 12 gauge mossy ruger 357
>>
12 gauge pump action shotgun.

00/1/4 buck for self defense
Slugs for deer and bears
You can also tag birds
>>
>>35137462
>Anon comes in asking about a one rifle solution
>No one memes the scout rifle
>the original one rifle solution meme
>I am disappoint
>>
>>35138314
A scout rifle isn't an adequate home defense rifle.
>>
>>35138343
Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Compared to a semi auto, the follow up shots would be slow, but any rifle isn't the best for home defense due to corridor constraints.
>>
>>35138416
>but any rifle isn't the best for home defense due to corridor constraints

This is true, but the higher caliber of the scout rifle isn't going to be much benefit. Plus the sound and concussion from a short barrel, high caliber rifle in a close confine is going to be intense. Maybe as much or more than a short barrel AR.
>>
>>35137519
false. .50 bmg will kill amything that breaths, you just lose a dollpr for every shot you fire
>>
>>35138466
Well yeah, shit would look like the sun and sound like eeeeeeeeeeeeee in the middle of the night indoors.

I was more concerned about OP being able to defend against mama bear, horny elk and general Innawoods meme rifle. OP should have a pistol for indoor defense or something chambered too small to kill bear and elk.
>>
>>35138528
>you just lose a dollar for every shot you fire
LET ME FUCKING TELL YOU ABOUT THE CUSTOM MACHINED BRASS ALLOY BULLETS THAT MY GOD DAMNED STEPFATHER MANUFACTURES. Shit is 3 dollars per billet to machine the bullet itself out of, primers are 1.50 each, not discounting the powder he counts by grain and the brass he reuses, he's at roughly $6 per shot and proud of all the money he saves. The bullet alone was $8 before he bought his own cnc machine.
>>
30-30 lever son
>>
>>35137462
>Does anyone have some advice on how I can optimize my first purchase?
Yeah; get two guns. A used bolt-action rifle in .270 for big game hunting (bring someone who knows about bolt-action rifles when you shop) and either an AR (if you live on a large property) or a glawk for HD.
>>
AR-10 (DPMS G2 Hunter) or a Marlin 44mag.
>>
>>35137519
Good post.
As are the majority ITT.
>>35138528
>found the guy that's never fired a .50
M2 gunner here.
BMG is God's personal CC.
But its not deployable. By the time you drag that barret into the treeline and get it dialed in, dinner is gone. And have fun spending $5 a bullet. Oh, and what range are you going to where you can safely dial in that scope?
>>
>>35137462
I'd get an ar-10.
>>
>>35137462
No one suggests the nugget ? Is this /k/ ?
>>
>>35141360
Not anymore.

OP, consider 6.5 Grendle or 6.8 or something. You can hunt with it (in most states) and get hollow or soft point rounds
>>
>>35137462
Its called a OMEN RECON by Nemo Firearms.
AR-10 in AR-15 Frame shooting 300 win mag...

as fast as you can pull the trigger...
>>
>>35138568

Thats retarded.

Solid bore riders from barnes are 1.50 a piece.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.