[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

M1A Scout Squad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: FS-BH-23.jpg (73KB, 640x307px) Image search: [Google]
FS-BH-23.jpg
73KB, 640x307px
I think i'm going to buy an M1A Scout Squad as a jack-of-all-trades type rifle.

What do you think /k/?
>>
>>35131425
It's a terrible choice, but if you want one get one.
>>
>>35131425
I think you have every right to waste your own money on an M1A.
>>
File: Fatkateupton.jpg (64KB, 819x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Fatkateupton.jpg
64KB, 819x1280px
>>35131434
>Not trading in your Good Boy points at the gun store.
>>
>>35131425

>jack-of-all-trades rifle

Get an AR or an AK. .308 if you feel it's worth the weight. I know it's simplistic and doesn't let you feel superior to all the other guys at the range, but it's the right option.

If you want an M1A because they're fun, go for it. They really are cool. But don't pretend it's anything it isn't.
>>
>>35131425
http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=3386
>>
Well the scout squad is world's better than the socom 16, but it's still an M1A, so it's more like a 4 of clubs of all trades.

At least it looks good
>>
Get the full size one if you're set on an M1A. Not sure I'd call it a jack of all trades rifle, though. That's more of an intermediate rifle like an AR.
>>
>>35131425
Buy a bm59 instead, it's an objectively superior upgrade in every way
>>
File: 1504000879785.jpg (72KB, 440x441px) Image search: [Google]
1504000879785.jpg
72KB, 440x441px
>>35131430
op here, i'm curious as to what you would buy instead.
>>35131454
Thanks for the help, I might consider getting an AK, and wasting the rest of the cash on ammo instead.
>>
>>35131425

Are you going to keep posting these threads until someone finally says they're okay? They're bad rifles, if you dump enough money into them they have okay performance but for that same amount they're shit compared to others
>>
>>35131425
I have one for that exact same purpose and I love it, but I love Mini-14s, M1s, Carbines, etc.
It is also a pretty big commitment because of ammo cost (though it's not too bad right now) and weight. If you want to lug it around you better love it because you can get much lighter alternatives.
Fiberglass or even just the SAI plastic stocks help with the whole lugging dealie-yo, but it is inescapably heavy.
Oh yeah other rifles will out-shoot it too. All memeing aside it is pretty accurate for a cold war battle rifle (though it will vary from gun to gun), but we're talking 2-3 MOA. Getting near 1 will involve tweaking and modding which is going to be cost/weight/reliability/ammo sensitivity prohibitive. Scope mounts are a bitch too. Just enjoy the god tier aperture sights.

Mags are readily available. Surplus ones are the best deal. Really good mags are a bit spendy. G3 and SR-25 mags have way better cost/quality ratio.
>>35131502
>>35131617
They aren't as bad as people say they are. Yeah cast parts, whatever, they work. Yeah they're not sub-MOA but neither is a FAL or most G3 builds. It's an old-school rifle design. It can't quite do what a more modern rifle can. Enjoy it for what it is, or buy something else.

They are expensive, less money can buy a better rifle (like a good AR10) but they still work pretty darn good and if someone really likes it they aren't losing much by going that route.
>>35131570
Every way except for unicorn magazines.
The JRA builds are pretty nice though and they are priced to sell.
>>
>>35131425
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/690634474
Link would be better.
>>
>>35131594
Well, for alternatives in the battle rifle market AR-10s are hot right now. Think AR-15 scaled up to .308 (yes I know the AR-10 predated the 15, but the 10s we're seeing now are 15s scaled back up, not a continuation of the original AR-10 pattern).

Like the AR-15, AR-10s have a 7-lug bolt that lock into a barrel extension rather a 2-lug bolt locking to the receiver. This does a lot to cut weight, since the upper and lower are aluminum and it's fantastic for accuracy.

Magazines as I mentioned are also readily available and inexpensive. Magpul makes a PMAG for SR-25/DPMS LR308 pattern rifles that is lightweight and reliable. They also make a full furniture set and AR-10s have some degree of cross-compatibility with AR-15 parts and accessories.

Finally, most have railed uppers allowing for easy optics mounting.

Another alternative is the PTR-91. An American copy of the H&K G3 family. They can be had for around $1000 and are capable of good accuracy. Surplus magazines are also as cheap as $5 each! Mounting optics requires a claw mount which can be finicky but they now offer a version with a picatinny rail welded to the top of the receiver. A fine improvement.

Only downside, ergonomics. No bolt hold open. They tend to be muzzle heavy. The charging handle is a pain to manipulate. I've always wanted to like them, but every time I shoot one I suddenly love my M1A more.

And if you're not dead-set on .308, you can get an AR-15 for as little as $400 nowadays. You shouldn't, but they have gotten amazingly cheap. Good ones can be had for $500-600 on the low end.
Ammunition is also far lighter and cheaper than .308 and since it kicks less accurate and rapid fire is much easier.
>>
>>35131594
Don't get it in the mud or dirt. You'll be fucked.
>>
>>35131425
remember what alton brown said about jack of all trades rifles....

or was that unitaskers?
>>
>>35131425
Pretty awful idea to tell you the truth, might as well go with an AR in .300BLK
>>
>>35131800
Same kinda deal with AKs. Unfortunately a lot of American made ones aren't so good. Commonly they have sketchy cast trunnions, which connect the bolt to the barrel. You still have options, though surprisingly they aren't as cheap as ARs are nowadays (nothing is).

7.62x39mm ammunition is also cheap and readily available. It tends to drop pretty hard at ~300yd or so, but penetrates light cover well within that range. It also has enough weight to double as a handy and capable cartridge for medium game hunting, although again only within reasonable range.

AK mags are common and cheap as dirt.
Also, they commonly have a dovetail scope mount on the left side of the receiver. Be sure if you buy an AK it has one. It's a different way of mounting optics than we're used to in the west, but quality military-spec or even surplus eastern optics are surprisingly affordable, so don't be afraid to put that dovetail mount to use!

Finally, consider the 5.45mm AK. It's built more along the lines of the AR's 5.56mm, but a little bit better thought out for recoil and flat shooting characteristics. Magazines for 5.45 AKs are common and cheap as well, though not quite as much as the 7.62x39mm ones.
Ammunition availability used to be superb, with quality surplus ammunition being damn near free. This is no longer the case however as it is banned from import. Finding commercial ammo in retail stores is tough, though it is readily available online. Biggest downside is that it's virtually all imported, so if some law puts that to an end you're screwed.
>>
>>35131800
You do not need a claw mount for the PTR, B&T and MFI have had screw-on rails available for ages.
>>
>>35131425
I'm deciding between an M1A and a lever action for the range and coyote hunting.I would get and AR but I live in commifornia and dont want to deal with all the bullshit restrictions and bullet button bullshit. Heard teh M1A is the better way to go because of the mags, and I can easily smuggle in 20 round mags
>>
>>35132114
get a axis II so i can laugh .
>>
>>35132207
>axis II
Whats that?
>>
File: DSC_7667.jpg (4MB, 4608x3072px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7667.jpg
4MB, 4608x3072px
Anyone buying M1As should look into used ones first. Back in the '80s-90s they used a ton of USGI parts. Figure in the $1000-1300 range depending on how your locale is.

I got my '95 a couple years ago. Receiver (obviously) and oprod are SAI, but the rest is NOS GI. $1150 out the door with five mags.

Astute readers will notice it has a WW2 Garand sight. That's period-correct for SAI--they found a barrel full of those sights in the '80s and used them until they ran out.
>>
>>35132114

M1A: Premium long range combat/target/hunting rifle
Lever gun: Short range hunting/range toy rifle

Pick what you need.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3408x2427px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3408x2427px
>>35132114
Do you want an intermediate or full power rifle round?
>>
>>35132328
>M1A
>Premium anything but price
>>
>>35132328
Ahhh, good one anon.
>>
>>35132114
What lever gun were you considering? Most are a bit less powerful or shoot weird ammo, although there are .308 options (Winchester 88, Savage 99, Henry Long Ranger).

.30-30 is a little more powerful than 7.62x39mm, but can't do what .308 can. Then again you're shooting yotes so even 5.56 is fine.

Have you considered a Mini-14?
>>35132262
Savage Axis. El-Cheap-O bolt-action. Ruger 'Murrican is an option too. I'm partial to Howa 1500s.
>>
>>35132337
Literally walked into the store asking for a lever action.

Told the guy range toy, the occasional coyote, didn't want an AR because I dont want to deal with California laws. Guy suggested the M1A, think he was trying to upsell me but I was looking at a .45-70 or .357 lever action.

I also have a hardon for the M1A, like the A E S T H E T I C, and I have a pellet gun version for shits and giggles
>>
>>35132387
I was going to suggest a Winchester 94, but it sounds like you want an M1A.
>>
>>35132381
Don't want the mini14, and its honestly because of the looks. sights also bug me a little
>>
>>35132328
>M1A: Premium
>>
>>35131425
If you are wedded to the Garand aesthetic, then buy what makes you happy, but if you are asking if a M1A Scout is a competitive choice when cross shopped with other semiautomatic .308 rifles in the $1,500 range, the answer is to buy at AR pattern .308.
>>
>>35132339
>>35132350
>>35132408

This is how you know people on /k/ don't own M1As.
>>
>>35131425
Meanwhile in 1990s /k/
>>
>>35132404
Fair enough. SKS? Decent rifle, still obtainable.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.