[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Modern Straight Pull Manually Repeating Rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: Sure thing anon.png (46KB, 1235x300px) Image search: [Google]
Sure thing anon.png
46KB, 1235x300px
Let's begin by saying I don't think this will amount to anything other than a set of prints and maybe one prototype, so if anyone actually likes this idea don't get your hopes up. The thought exercise is the point.

That out of the way, I'd like to slap together a straight pull rifle that is pleasant to use while leeching off of modern firearm production and aftermarket as much as possible, with the only custom machine work being a receiver, fcg (maybe), and modifications to a stoner gas bolt carrier group. Think of this as trying to prototype a rifle for Austrian military trials c.1900, but with the modern firearms industry serving as the available parts, technology, and manufacturing. The problem is, I don't have a solid idea of what makes a good-feeling manually operated repeating rifle. Let's talk broad strokes, in the same arguments everybody got into in decades past. Cock on open v cock on close, manual safety location (tang, bolt, thumb safety on receiver), provisions for any combination of sighting options or focusing on either irons or optics, etc.

Reading recommendations are also welcome.
>>
Aren't there already straight-pull AR-15-derivatives?
>>
>>35118898
I'm thinking of trying to fit the action into a Remington 700 stock, Winchester model 70 stock, or put a shotgun stock on the back if nothing else. At that point you might as well just use a side charging upper on an SCR lower with the gas system disabled, so I'd rather not. I'm also thinking of having an open top action that allows you to top off the magazine or feed it from a stripper clip if you so desired.
>>
>>35118876
As someone working up a modern Lee Navy, I sincerely hope you fail so I can reap the money there is to be had in this market.

However if your design is better, I hope you win.
>>
>>35118876
Here in urope we already have some, though i forget their names
>>
>>35119330
Merkel and Blazer make some.
They're both expensive as fuck though.
And now Steyr is making that .22 magnum toggle locking straight pull.

It seems straight pulls are making a bit of a comeback.
>>
>>35118876
As long as it's an actual manually-driven gun and not something with a spring loaded bolt, I'd buy it.
>>
File: Blaser-R8-Professional-S-1.jpg (296KB, 1000x550px) Image search: [Google]
Blaser-R8-Professional-S-1.jpg
296KB, 1000x550px
>>35119264
If you're planning on selling something, you've already won.

>>35119386
I looked those up. the Blaser R8 and the Merkel RX Helix are both sold in the US. The R8 is like $3000, and the Helix is $3295 on the Merkel US website. They are hunting rifles more than anything else, but they look like good ergonomic references.
>>
>buy wasr
>Remove gas tube
>Instant modern straight pull

Your welcome
>>
>>35119264
What are you using for a reference?
>>
File: Rifle_Lee_Navy_95.jpg (255KB, 692x512px) Image search: [Google]
Rifle_Lee_Navy_95.jpg
255KB, 692x512px
>>35120683
The Winchester Lee Navy rifle is the one the US navy got before the Krag. It's rear-locking bolt that's straight pull, but doesn't have any complicated helical cuts. Instead, the bolt handle tilts the locking wedge (I think?).

I imagine it's a design that would be relatively cheap to make if you could just figure out how to clamp the receiver a maximum of two times for CNC milling. DFMA re-optimization in general wouldn't hurt. Scope mounting would also be a bit of a pain.
>>
>>35120641
There's also the Browning Maral. Same price range, though.
>>
>>35120810
But what are you basing your design on?
There are some complicated surfaces in the cam design and the trigger mechanism is kind of a bitch to play with. Extractor system is also kind of fiddly with a couple cuts that must have been fun to machine.
>>
>>35120666
>Just blow gas in your face
Sure, Satan. I mean, it's not like that isn't what I'm doing, just with an AR. I just want to make it fit a comfy bolt action rifle stock, and I'd also like to get a barrel that is doesn't have a gas hole. I get that the truly smart choice is to not duplicate other people's work, but I'm approaching this as an academic exercise.

I guess the question I have is more "what does a straight pull manual repeater with run-&-gun friendly ergonomics and controls look like?" Making the action slick and making all the parts fit is something I can do, I just don't really have a good idea of what makes a rifle's ergonomics good.
>>
I have a k31. it feels nice when you're just cycling the boly, but there's no primary extraction so you have to yank on it a little when you actually shoot it.
>>
>>35120862
As for the trigger, the Luger is actually a pretty good inspiration for these sorts of things (albeit beefed up)

I'm currently trying to work out some of the kinks in the extractor and disassembly.

As for the locking...no.
That's the big "special ingredient" so to speak.
>>35120810
Yeah, like a manual FAL.
Mounting a scope has been taken care of.
>>35121907
That's actually one of the biggest problems I'm having.
Figuring out how to obtain good primary extraction, that is.
>>
File: 1500239270051-k.jpg (204KB, 1660x468px) Image search: [Google]
1500239270051-k.jpg
204KB, 1660x468px
>>35118876
Hey I have that same exact idea!
The hardest part is connecting the barrel to the reciever, and creating a safe buffer between your face and the bolt carrier.
Other than that, here's another guy's project as inspiration.
>>
>>35122534
Rereading your op, it seems you're a lot greener than I thought. Here's the deal. If you want to take the economy of scale by the balls, you're best off buying those hideous m4 govt profile barrels. Those barrels have grooves that only fit the AR's 8 lug bolt, so there's number two.
Apart from that, cheap trigger groups could be had from an AK, 922r compliance means that we usually can't foreign trigger groups in foreign guns.

Your life will be easier if you use an ar upper and a 6 dollar barrel nut, but the idea of using an extruded steel tube instead pleases me.

Good luck man!
>>
File: 1454635375518.gif (96KB, 248x203px) Image search: [Google]
1454635375518.gif
96KB, 248x203px
>>35122599
>complying with 922r
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.