[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would an M1 or M1A1 Carbine be a good SHTF gun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_7928.jpg (19KB, 640x181px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7928.jpg
19KB, 640x181px
Would an M1 or M1A1 Carbine be a good SHTF gun?
>>
In 1945 maybe
>>
no because .30 carbine is bad. just get a mini-14 if you want a similar ae s the ti ic
>>
>>35118637
Does .30 Carbine not kill people anymore?
>>
>>35118579
yes
>>
>>35118656

it was never that good at it to begin with, its basically a pistol cartridge so it will do nothing but poke holes in people.
>>
>>35118579
That's a terrible choice in 2017.
>>
File: golddot30.jpg (126KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
golddot30.jpg
126KB, 880x660px
>>35118579
with proper ammo, yes
>>
>>35118579
bm59 is pretty much the same thing but chambered in REAL FUCKING NATO
>>
Enjoy your cracked receiver, faggot.
>>
>>35118579
Its better than nothing, but there are better cheaper options out there.

30 Carbine is a hard round to categorize. It beats out .357 Magnum with ease, yet is still considerably behind 5.56. There are some modern loads for it, but no matter what you will still be in the middle.

It doesn't have a reputation for great reliability. How exactly true this is, I don't know. It could be something like early M-16s not being maintained properly.

It does have some advantages though. Some states limit hunting to .30 caliber rifles, and the Carbine qualifies. Its also a very light and handy gun. You can get an AR just as light, but you are going to be spending money on it.

I still want one, more as a historical piece than a practical gun. I like the traditional look, while being a light weight magazine fed semi auto. Unfortunately, I hear the modern reproductions are shit, and the war time makes go for over $1000 near me.
>>
>>35118678
well in the grand scheme of things that's kind of what a gun is meant to do
>>
The M1 could have been the best rifle of WW2. (arguably still was)

With a proper round.

.30 isn't that great and in a SHTF situation you're going to have an ammunition shortage.

Terrible choice, 5.56 is much more available.
Otherwise a great gun.
>>
>>35118579
Based on ammo availability, no.
It's fucking awfu-well?
Thinking on it, my local academy sports has shitloads of .30 carbine with nobody to shoot it.
If you had some stockpiled and then stayed around a central stockpile of .30 carbine it could be good.

ANYWAYS, ignoring ammo availability, it would be excellent.
Small rounds and mags make it light and easy to carry large amounts of ammo, the compactness of it is a big bonus, it's quite accurate, moderately powerful (you could probably hunt deer with it, but still kill wabbits without destroying the meat)
And ergonomic.
>>
>>35119296

not really, rifle rounds tend to fragment upon impact and cause much larger wounds, handgun rounds don't do much other than poke you since they aren't going very fast.
>>
ar-15 is much more affordable and will actually survive mud
Plus the ammo is available
>>
>>35118579
If you can get one of the legendary ones chambered in .357 mag
Otherwise .30 is shit
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.