[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why doesn't the military use mid-lengths?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: STR5435-MLS_00.jpg (53KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
STR5435-MLS_00.jpg
53KB, 2000x1333px
why doesn't the military use mid-lengths?
>>
>>35117997
Because you touch yourself at night
>>
>>35117997
Because its fucking retarded and so are the idiots that bought into the meme along with all the footlong handguards.
>>
>>35118017
what's wrong with a mid-length gas system? if anything it's superior to carbine-length
>>
>>35118084
If you want to be devil's advocate the carbine length system has more back pressure which technically means it will cycle better. Mid length advantage is that less back pressure = longer part life.
Do you want a SLIGHT improvement on cycle reliability? Or do you want an appreciable difference in parts longevity?
>>
>>35118084
>anything it's superior to carbine-length
No it's not, it's solves nothing while adding additional weight towards the muzzle end of the rifle. Additional weight towards the muzzle means slower target acquisition.
>>
>>35117997
Because mid-length was created to address gassing issues in 16" barrels with carbine legnth gas tubes. It's not an issue in the military, where they use 14.5" barrels.
>>
The same reason they use the 5.56 meme "rifle" round.

The U.S military infantry is renound as the shittiest on the planet, G.I is an afterthought for USA. They spend all there $ on jets.

Also they have lost every major war for the last 80 years despite total air sumpemacy
>>
>>35117997
Why do dumb asses in /arg/ use mid length gas on 14.5" rifles?
>>
>>35118220
b8
>>
>>35117997
The middy is popular because of the 16" rifle barrel limit in the US. Softer shooting and part longevity is a plus. Also, a military can afford to replace parts more often because of the carbine gas.
>>
>>35118120
>No it's not, it's solves nothing while adding additional weight
It adds, what, half an ounce for the longer gas tube? The real difference would be shifting the center of gravity forward, but the extra 2" of barrel on a 16" rifle does that to a more severe degree, in the first place.
>>
>>35118255
but it's all true
>>
>>35118120
Allah is a dog and a pig fucker, get out of my country
>>
>>35118255
the U.S military is just a special snowflake that any actual factual discussion of the numerous failures triggers the shit out of the .mil spec rank and file, and the leg humpers sniffing Chris Kyle jockies are even more triggered than the actual servicefags
>>
>>35118017
>mudslime
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>35118017
Ok faggot, explain to me the technical reasons that mid gas is bad. Oh that's right, you don't have a fucking clue, you're just spewing diarrhea out your filthy pie hole.
>>
>>35118120
The additional weight and balance change is negligible, I fucking guarantee you couldn't tell the difference in a blind test.
>>
>>35118084
its superior for civilian use not military
pros of mid
ar parts last slightly longer not an issue when military budgets so damn large. honestly no average civilian is going to shoot enough ammo through a carbine or middy to wreck either unless they are youtubers doing a high roundcount destruction test.
mid its "properly gassed" which is bullshit since there is no standardized gas hole size across the industry. rifles and carbines have it.
middy is let the manufacturer do whatever the fuck size they want.
a carbine being overgassed is a good thing. yeah you get increased parts wear but the guns going to bang every time.
carbine weighs less its only an inch or 2 of handguard but its still something
the slight increase in sight radius is a minor bonus and not a huge deal.
mid has less recoil but its fucking 5.56 the recoil was never an issue.
the way people phrase it middy is vastly superior to carbine but its not that big of an improvement. i mean if youve got 2 uppers priced the same its a no brainer for an individual to buy the middy. but for a large organization to swap over millions of guns for a minor improvement fuck that.
>>
>>35117997
Because the military uses 14.5 inch barrels, not 16 inch.

Further, the military would probably prefer over gassed than under gassed to ensure that the gun keeps firing, even if it means the gun gets overhauled sooner.

>>35118113
>>35118134
Precisely.

>>35118252
Because they spent all their money on Gucci parts that they don't want to break.
>>
>>35117997
Because mid-length gas wasn't on the table when the original carbines were developed during the Vietnam War. They had 10" barrels then, and needed a suitably short gas system to fit.

Later on as the M4 was being developed they increased the barrel length to 14.5" to make it more tolerable to shoot, but didn't change much else.
>>
>>35119511
they did 14.5 so they could use bayonets
11.5 from 10 was to make it more tolerable
>>
>>35118017
I wipe my ass with kuran pages lol
>>
>>35118220
>renound
>that's renowned anon.
sumpemacy
again supremacy.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.