[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UKSF General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: Royal Marine.jpg (64KB, 680x382px) Image search: [Google]
Royal Marine.jpg
64KB, 680x382px
Post any questions about Paras, Gurkhas, Royal marines etc.

Hello /k/ first time poster, long time lurker, but I've been thinking of going through sandhurst, or commissioning as a royal marine officer after I finish university/college. I am physically fit enough to be on my university's rowing team, but I don't think I stand a chance of getting through to the paras.

How hard is it to commission as a gurkha as a briton(can't find anything on google relating to britons), and have any of you(ex military) ever worked with the royal marines, or gurkha?
>>
>>35116879
Getting into the Gurkhas as an Officer is pretty hard unless you have the family connections, can you speak the language or know anything about their culture and customs?
>>
>>35116935
I know a bit about their history. Like they were mercenaries fighting against the british in the anglo nepalese war, and they were so good at fighting them, that the british integrated them into the army. Also Goat sacrifices fit in somewhere somehow
>>
>>35116935

I swear getting put into the Gurkhas is more of a punishment than a reward...
>>
>>35116976
it's a reward if you are nepalese. That's for sure
>>
>>35116976
Gurkha Officers do seem a little weird, like the Nepalese version of a super weeb.
>>
>I am physically fit enough to be on my university's rowing team, but I don't think I stand a chance of getting through to the paras

If you're a regular sportsman with a good knowledge of CV training, diet, recovery and so on you'll be ideal. You'll smash the fitness, really. RM officers are a lot more cerebral than their Army equivalents, more often than not, and that isn't a criticism of the Army - it's a commendation of the Royal Marines and I'm really not a fan usually. They're very selective in their officers and expect them to do a lot more than Subbies in the Army.

Gurkha officers are odd. They were odd when I was in, and based on recent experiences that hasn't changed. I wouldn't bother with RGR at all.

I finished a Warrant Officer, so not an Officer at all, but the best officers I worked with were Guards or Para. There were some bloody good ones elsewhere, but the Foot Guards and Parachute Regiment produced routinely excellent officers. I am biased for institutional reasons, but they really were rather good.
>>
>>35117145
I think my friends dad commissioned as an officer with the paras. He inspired me to want to join the royal marines/gurkhas. But thanks for the advice :)
>>
>>35117145
Question: is it me, or is the Royal navy's site way better at delivering information, than the Army's site?
>>
>>35117197
The Gurkhas are not what you want to do unless you have an interest in lying for a living.
>>
>>35117632
why?
>>
Gurkhas aren't special forces.
>>
>>35117637
You will have to turn a blind eye to all sorts of shenanigans, at the very least. Ghost soldiers (that doesn't mean what you think it does), course failure, repeated RTU for your guys that will blame you directly for it, domestic issues (they love family abuse and sexual abuse), shit postings and a load of other stuff that only men who think it's the 19th century still like.

This will have Joanna Lumley jumping on a plane powered by copies of the Daily Express to attack me in my home at the other side of the Atlantic, but the Gurkhas aren't particularly good troops. They're rapidly losing what support they had internally, and they're for the chop in a few years. The Army has, thankfully, seen the light. Drastic under-performance on recent operations and some very odd politics that's been going on for the best part of 50 years has run its course.

And that's the Infantry component. Their Signals and RE assets are even worse.
>>
>>35117668
thank you. I was under the impression that they were...
>>
>>35116963
>I know a little history, so that qualifies me to serve as a Gurkha

M8...
>>
File: DbKKzrT.jpg (33KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
DbKKzrT.jpg
33KB, 400x300px
>>35116879
>UKSF
>Paras, Gurkhas, Royal marines
>>
>>35117766
Special needs would be a more apt description
>>
>>35117787
well, I believe that there was once a mock battle between the green berets and the royal marines (I think 42 commando) and the royal marines apparently wiped the floor with the green berets
>>
>>35117787
to be fair, 1 para is SFSG
>>
>>35116879
Is it even possible for Englishmen to join Gurkhas?
>>
>>35116879
>as a royal marine officer
>I don't think I stand a chance of getting through to the paras.

Then you don't stand a chance getting through the RM. They're pretty similar in terms of fitness, it's fucking hard and they will work you like dogs, no matter what paras or RMs tell you
>>
>>35116935
Gurkas are lazy as fuck and are not really any better than the average grunt. IMO the whole Gurk units should be scrapped
>>
>>35118094
What are you talking about?

>>35118109
All of their direct entry officers are British, though they do commission some of their own from the ranks.

>>35118118
I don't know what he's talking about. I don't think he does either. None of it makes sense.
>>
>>35118094
Are you retarded?
>>
I am going to fly to Hiroshimoots house, break down his door, torture your IP address out of him, fly to Britain, get whatever clearance I need to get, match your IP with every ISP in your country, produce evidence of the match, find your address, screencap this thread and send the whole report to the Queen so she can personally ban you from joining her military.
>>
>>35118178
wow rude
>>
Go for a familiarity visit and register an application online to join the Parachute Regiment as an officer. In the mean time, look for a local PARA or SAS Reserve unit whilst you're at university and join as a soldier.
>>
File: LJfKUlf.jpg (17KB, 639x475px) Image search: [Google]
LJfKUlf.jpg
17KB, 639x475px
>>35117145
>There are warrant officers shitposting on 4chan
>>
>>35118106
The raf regiment send blokes to them so nah.
>>
>>35118273
The RAF Regiment also provided the previous SSM of Mobility Troop, G Squadron 22 SAS so I'd wind your neck in if I were you.
>>
File: wLW7OsD.jpg (138KB, 577x1024px) Image search: [Google]
wLW7OsD.jpg
138KB, 577x1024px
>>35118292
Found the monkey.
>>
>>35118292
A Troop doesn't have an SSM
>>
>>35116879
>I am physically fit enough to be on my university's rowing team,

that's pretty good

>but I don't think I stand a chance of getting through to the paras.

sure you do

any competitive amateur athlete is fit enough. the royal marines even say this themselves. their number one doctor wrote about this a few years ago, but probably you''ll have to dig through google to find it.

ghurkas are just regular infantry. it's tough for ghurkas to get in, but as far as i know officers go in the normal way.
>>
>>35118106
so is one of the commandos and a raf reg element. but sfsg is not sf. in fact i am not sure srr is counted sf.
>>
>>35116879
It used to be easier, these days most of the Gurkha officers are Nepalese with the British born being either connected or exceptional.

It's really hard to get into the special forces selection, let alone pass (I didn't) but if you're serious:

If you're not already in your local UOTC then join. It's a glorified drinking club but it's the fastest way to pass the Army Officer Selection Board and it'll give you a better idea of what to do next.

Easiest (ha) route to UKSF as an officer is to commission into the Paras or the Intelligence Corps. If you like getting passed over a lot, try the Royal Marines but you don't go through Sandhurst for that so I don't know anything about it.

Once you complete your first two training modules and receive an AOSB pass you'll be invited to Sandhurst where you'll be polished up. Eventually you'll have the option to apply for various regiments.

Paras are hard as shit to get into unless you've been preparing for it your entire time at RMAS. Should you be invited then for SF you'll want to get into a Pathfinder unit which I assume is harder still. From there you'll need to prove yourself exceptional for a few years and attend every available training exercise you have access to. You may then be invited for selection where you will inevitably fail.

Int Corps is challenging for other reasons. It's by no means easy to get into either but once you're in it's all about career progression. Avoid being sidelined into intelligence analysis or counter-intelligence and try to get on training exercises that will get you your commando dagger and/or your parachutist badges. You then enjoy getting passed over for promotion for a few years while still excelling until you maybe get noticed and invited for selection where you will inevitably fail.

Either way, learn how to shout "Yes Staff" through CS while you do push-ups.
>>
File: 1453332996744.png (107KB, 616x538px) Image search: [Google]
1453332996744.png
107KB, 616x538px
>>35117145
>I finished a Warrant Officer

Mate how did you even end up in this shithole
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.