[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes a gun accurate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: C14_Timberwolf.jpg (83KB, 960x293px) Image search: [Google]
C14_Timberwolf.jpg
83KB, 960x293px
Hey /k/,
I've been jostling this thought around my head for awhile now, but I can't seem to come to a conclusion.
What exactly makes one rifle more accurate than another? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the bullet, barrel length and rifling pattern stay the same, shouldn't the accuracy be the same as well? What makes an AK more accurate than an SKS? What makes a Macmillan Tac-50 more accurate than other 50 cal bolt actions?
>>
random things touching the barrel degrade accuracy (for example if you have a non free float rail and rest it against something it can slighltly shift the point of impact). Thats just part of it though.
>>
>>35116548
What this >>35116576 anon said, as well as wind, humidity, rifling of the barrel by 1/64th of an inch compared to another, rain, snow, sunshine, shakeyness of the shooter, difference in height from one iron sight to another, not to mention the round itself. The round has powder just ever so slightley off from one another, especially in hand loads. Factory rounds are a little less likely to be different, but every nanoinch or grain of gunpowder that is off from another could mean the difference of an inch to a foot in one direction or another.

Its also a combination of all these things that make an SKS apart from an AK-107 in terms of accuracy.
>>
>>35116576
>cont
99% of it is about consistency. Does the rifles action lock exactly the same way every single time? Does it chamber the round the same way every time? Is the chamber "tight"? Does the trigger behave the same way every time? Is the scope mounted on a completely secure surface that wont shift at all during firing?
>>
>>35116645
I also forgot to mention what the rifle is made out of. If its sheet metal like an AK, its less accurate as on thats made out of steal, like an SKS. Or stamped aluminum and steal, like an AR10 to AR15. which brings up another point.
>>
>>35116645
I'm purely talking about the physical characteristics of the rifle and only the rifle.
Based on what has been brought up so far, we have twist rate and barrel contact as limitations. Is that really it?
>>
File: Tikka_T3x_TAC_A1_frontangle.jpg (809KB, 1400x934px) Image search: [Google]
Tikka_T3x_TAC_A1_frontangle.jpg
809KB, 1400x934px
>be in commiefornia
>put together a precision AR
>Assault Weapon Ban hits last year
>able to part out the more expensive part but still lost my ass for $500 worth of parts
Thinking of getting into precision shooting, I am aiming for 1600 Yards. Considering that I will need:

>jig and press $1000 for a good one
>bullet, powder and cases - should be cheaper but still expensive for 6.5CM
>good scope $1500

With the gun I am looking at a 5k platform. Would it really matter in the long run if I were to buy this over a RPR which is $300-400 less? How much of a performance increase can I get out of the Tikka?
>>
>>35116548
Manageable harmonics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h407yVskVeM
>>
Rifle: Rifling lands, crown, consistency of pressure (or lack of) on barrel, consistent level of carbon fouling in barrel (my barrel is consistently 40ft/s faster when I run a dry swab through it)

Cartridge: Neck tension of brass on bullet, powder consistency, bullet weight, diameter.

Powder: Temperature sensitivity, optimum load development (barrel is at peak or bottom of oscillation when bullet leaves it).
>>
File: IMG_0250.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0250.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>35116756
Here's a 13 shot group with my Tikka CTR 24" 6.5CM. Did some load development with RL-16, Nosler RDF 140's and Lapua brass (neck sized) to 41.7gr. Each shot was roughly 10 seconds average between, so barrel got pretty toasty. There's a few 308 holes from my buddy that was painting all over my target trying to get his Ruger GSR to zero.

Fun tagging a 8" triangle at 800 yards consistently. Whittaker guns should have the same rifle as mine at ~$830 and Vortex PST EBR2C scopes are better than I could ever need. I would recommend a Redding T7 if you don't mind spending the $ on it. I just got a second Chargemaster 1500 so I can bust out fast, precise loads (lol).
>>
>>35116674

AKs are made out of steel you illiterate retard.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.