[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

20 gauge for me wifey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0009.jpg (10KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0009.jpg
10KB, 500x500px
Howdy, /k/. Looking for a good recommendation for a 20 gauge for the missus.

She's never shot a shotgun.

But, she REALLY hates birds. Like severe hatred. Not even shitting you.

I figured that hatred would be a good way to get her into dove hunting this season.

Anything to suggest, my magi/k/al brethren?
>>
>>35112461
Do you own a 12 bore?
>>
>>35112510
No. Just 12 gauge stuff. Barely anything at that.
>>
>>35112606
Bore = gauge. I would be cautious mixing 12 and 20 bore gear due to the possibility of a double load, better to get her a lightweight 12 and some soft loads.
>>
>>35112689
10-4. Still, need some specific recommendations, please..
>>
>>35112689
So .410 bore is actually 410 gauge? Who knew?
>>
>>35112974
Something like a CZ 712 should do the job.
Have a look at a Browning Citori if you're feeling classier.

>>35113033
.410 is calibre, you fucking mong.
>>
>>35112461
What sort of budget, and what sort of laws?

A gas semiauto will be more expensive, but it will also be softer shooting.

If you want pump-actions, there's the Mossberg 500, the Browning BPS, the Ithaca M37, the Benelli Nova, and many more. I just picked a few I'm more familiar with.
>>
>>35113132
If you're shooting birds, you don't want a pump.
>>
>>35113140
It was fine for hunters for years. Just takes a bit more practice.
>>
>>35113152
I'll put it another way, if you're specifically buying a gun with intent to shoot birds, you're an idiot if it's pump action.
>>
>>35113084
My gun dude recommended that. Has a used one for $400. I'm down if it is a legit purchase. >>35113132
Texas as fuck. Pump or whatever. It's her first one. Mine is pump, and I don't mind.

>>35113152 like this. I want her to become a proper marksmen.
>>
>>35113170
That depends on the budget. If it's a low budget they are better off with a reliable pump than a cheap semi that will shit the bed at a moment's notice.

And when did hunters get so shit? If pumps were fine for years, they should be alright now.
>>
>>35113201
Fast follow up. Turn up to a pheasant shoot with a pump and you're not going to have a good day.
>>
>>35113208
I suppose it's a moot point- Op says in >>35113187 that he can get a Cz 712 for $400, which is good enough.
>>
>>35113187
$400 sounds good. You're not going to make a marksman shooting birds, but she'll get damn good at tracking the little fuckers.
>>
>>35113227
Titties. Thank you, /k/ommandos.

I love you guys. Always helpful, and full of /x/ crossover.

Gotta get dem skinwalkers.
>>
>>35113253
np bruh
Safety is king if you're blamming feathers though, they're not going to take revenge on you if you miss a shot. Make sure she's not going to swing around and if for some reason she really can't handle a 12 bore with a bird load consider skipping down to 28 instead of 20 since you've already got your home defence covered.
>>
>>35112689
"Bore" is the engineering term for a cylindrical hole and would be the diameter.

>>35112606
Here's how it works, just so you know:
Take one pound of lead and divide it into any given number of equal lead spheres. The diameter of the lead spheres is the bore diameter of the barrel.
So, if you have 12 spheres each 1/12th of a pound in lead, that's a 12 gauge shotgun. If it's 20 spheres, that's a 20 gauge.
.410 is actually the internal diameter of the barrel and is roughly 67.62 gauge.
>>
>>35113333
And 12 bore is specifically the bore required for a 1/12lb lead sphere. Please do go tell H&H they're doing shotguns wrong if you have further disagreements.
>>
>All I wanted was a 20 gauge recommendation

Is this /b/?
>>
>>35113314
Home defense is covered.

I just want her to have an anniversary firearm that would make her happy.

She hates birds. Shotguns will make her happy.
>>
>>35113774

mossberg.

semi autos need more frequent cleaning, and some won't take light loads, but the higher mag cap of a pump is better than 2 shots out of a double, so get a pump. they're fine for birds and anyone who says otherwise is stupid or trolling.

remmingtons are prone to brake downs, I wouldn't rely on a savage shotty (their rifles are good though) and anything else will be too expensive, break, or be outright dangerous.

20 gauge is fine, covers all your bases and doesn't hurt your inner soft tissues.

for birds, get a longer barrel; leading birds is smoother with a longer barrel and you'll get higher velocities under 30", but 26" is good for about everything.

I'd recommend synthetic furniture; it's less prone to damage, won't swell when wet and it's cheaper.

get one with removable chokes so you can switch from doves to turkey and goose.

foster slugs can be fired from most chokes, but tighter than modified is not recommended, best accuracy comes from improved.

happy?
>>
>>35113861
The peasantry speaks.
>>
>>35112461
410 or cat instead.
>>
>>35113333
it's what they call gauge in the UK, that's the only difference
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.