[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Smart Pistol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Smart_pistol_m6.jpg (850KB, 1920x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Smart_pistol_m6.jpg
850KB, 1920x1600px
How would the emergence of Smart Pistol technology affect modern warfare? What kind of innovations would be required to make one or would it just be completely impossible/ not worth the cost of R&D?

Other scifi/future weapons discussion also welcome
>>
>>35105113
in tf land the technology is considered prohibitively expensive which is why it's only used in a weapon intended for secret agents and special forces.

in real life it would probably be jammed quite easily, and the ammo would be expensive as fuck, in addition to the weapons themselves. another big problem is the range at which the system could track targets.
>>
>>35105132
I think the upscaled version they mount on Legion's chaingun could have some interesting implications for point defence. Couldn't the SP shoot grenades and rockets out of the sky if you got a lock?
>>
>>35105148
tf2 buttfucks the lore pretty hard. the sp can do that, yes, but missiles already do that. it's basically just a heavily miniaturized version of existing technology.
>>
>>35105113
Predicting the future is hard. I predict that smart pistols in warfare probably won't be a thing. They will be 'ol reliable next to the smart rifles with automatic targeting, caseless ammo, and lighter materials.
>>
>>35105113
My innovation would be a faster lock on and not telling the enemy they are being locked on to!!!
>>
>>35105113
To get something like what you have in that game, you'd have to have articulation, which would require some kind of motor, power supply, and controller in every single bullet. There is the EXACTO thing but trying to miniaturize that into a pistol cartridge and get it to curve that much and get it to work in rapidly changing lighting conditions will require more than just "making it smaller".

It would be much easier to use regular bullets and a gun that doesn't fire until its actually going to hit the target. However, that means, that to work without you using an optic to tell it what the target point is, the gun has to be able to identify a human. This probably means plugging the gun into a computer you carry somewhere else in your body. However, that could be done now.
>>
File: H3ODST_Campaign_1stPersonVISR02.jpg (605KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
H3ODST_Campaign_1stPersonVISR02.jpg
605KB, 1280x720px
I believe HUD helmets like Spartans and ODST have is the next big step for future solders. Being able to display maps, vital signs, signal identifies for friendlies and possibly some sort of reticle display.
>>
Why does a pistol have a reciprocating charging handle and how is that an upgrade?
>>
>>35105113

You mean smart pistol as self aiming? It depends on how it would work but never probably for the most part.

If you've ever shot a pistol you realize you cannot hold it steady enough to laser print a target and be satisfied with the POI enough to send the seeking round in a timely matter if it could work that way. It would be worse if you had to hold the laser on them.

If it had an image recognition computer that found human targets and guided the round to whichever one was closest to where you aim at, it would have to be really fucking good to not mistake it's target and would be hard when only a part of them may show for it to read, theyre at a bad angle, or they are wearing unusually or baggy clothing. It would be even worse in an urban setting where if it failed it might target the wrong person or even a human looking image 20 degrees of angle off in front of or way behind your target. Also, if a dog is coming at you it might not pick it up and shoot the owner coming after it instead.

If it was wired to your brain or eyes and chose targets based on where your attention was focused with human recognizing features to further improve it you have something better and useable. Of course it wouldn't be perfect, technology has a lot of room for errors, especially if it gets beat up enough in daily use. A failsafe manual aiming mode when the computer is having errors is a must along with a manual switch to keep it in unguided mode and a light or protrusion near the sights can show what mode it's in.

The more realistic smart gun wouldn't be so much the gun, it wouldn't be guided, but the ammuntion would be able to stay solid and armor piercing when in contact with air and hard surfaces but become very soft, for an expansion effect as soon as it's in contact with something of human consistency. It would go through an armor plate then expand in the person.

Both ideas would be great in warfare, everyone would be a sniper

Cont
>>
>>35106351

Big countries would invest in every way to either disrupt or fool the targeting computers and the tech might not be useful except against insurgents for very long.

I'd predict that big EMPs will be constantly shot. On the personal level, a small, aimed EMP that disrupts the incoming bullet's seeking ability or even a small explosive to deflect a round would be built into vests.

As for the smart expanding bullets, a vest with human tissues like layers might be all it takes. It would still be useful against structures or windows but I want to point out that it loses any guiding ability as soon as it hits something hard enough to break the fins or chip.

None of this is even close to being real right now but we can play with the idea of how it would work. If ammunition could be brought down to $1000 or so a round it would be great for law enforcement if it means winning every gun fight the first time they shoot.

>>35106067

>It would be much easier to use regular bullets and a gun that doesn't fire until its actually going to hit the target. However, that means, that to work without you using an optic to tell it what the target point is, the gun has to be able to identify a human. This probably means plugging the gun into a computer you carry somewhere else in your body.

That might work but sometimes it's better to get the shot off as covering fire. I think it would work great if the trigger was two stage, the first being guided where you leave it held on the target until it shoots and the 2nd taking twice the force of pull makes it fire an unguided round.
>>
>>35106182
Vital signs are not all that useful irl. When you get shot, it either wounded you or it didn't, and if you are wounded you need medical attention immediately. Reticules are already possible as long as you don't mind toting around a heavy tracking point scope and using google glass. You can also shoot around corners this way.
>>35106463
Maybe just put a thumb switch on the side of the gun that turns tracking mode on and off.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.